• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everyone has their favorite game developers from back in the day but what are some relatively newer ones whose game(s) you really enjoy?

Some of my favorite game developers from back in the day were Hiroyuki Ito, Shuntaro Tanaka, Leslie Benzies, and Hideo Kojima. They were behind some of my most-played games between 1998 and 2008. But of course it's easy to look back and reminisce though since longtime developers more or less fade into the background; taking smaller, undisclosed roles, or as supervisors up until they eventually retire, newer games continue to be made by people you probably had no idea of.

Seeing as 2020 is right around the corner, let's classify relatively new as any game between 2010 - 2019.

Anyway, I really like that Jake Solomon is the lead designer and director behind the new XCOM games. I think he and his team did a pretty faithful reboot of the series for both newcomers and veterans. I'm really into aliens and UFOs as a central theme. That said I'm looking forward to a possible XCOM 3 being announced within the next couple years.

Mike Skupa, the lead designer for Sleeping Dogs, is apparently working on an otherworldly horror game as part of new development studio Brass Token. I've come to terms that we'll never get Sleeping Dogs 2 but as a huge fan of the original as well as an interest in horror games (not just Resident Evil or Parasite Eve but also newer ones like Amnesia), it'll be interesting to see what this game looks like and how it plays when he and his team are ready to show it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This year I played Atelier Ryza from Gust and Luigi's Mansion 3 from Next Level Games, I never played any of their games but I greatly enjoyed these two.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Kind of hard to say. A few years ago, I would have said DONTNOD for making one of my favorite games of the generation with Life is Strange. However, they’ve truly, totally flushed it all down the toilet.

I kind of feel like my favorite games tend to come from industry veterans, still. The Nintendos, the Platinums, the Kojimas, the Epics, etc.

It’s a bit weird, as they make other people’s games, technically, but I guess I pick Bluepoint and Grezzo. They really have breathed some brand new life into some of my favorite classics, and I’m noticing them more and more.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Individually, Hidemaro Fujibayashi is someone I’ve really been noticing.

yaHL7w1.jpg

He’s been around for ages for handheld Zelda fans, but is really elevating his profile by directing main series Zelda games, starting with Skyward Sword, and through the sublime Breath of the Wild.

Skyward was a good Zelda with some fresh, good ideas, but Breath really makes me think that his contribution to Zelda could end up being massive by the end of his run, if not already.

ROMhack

The auteur aspect of gaming seems mainly to exist in the indie sphere these days - understandable as gaming is now a huge business. I guess Brendon Chung (Quadrilateral Cowboy), Davey Wreden (Stanley Parable), Christine Love (Analogue: A Hate Story), Lukas Pope (Papers Pls), Jon Blow (The Witness) and Mike Bithell (Thomas Was Alone) spring to mind. Also Tom Jubert and Jonas Krytzes (writers on The Talos Principle) but they haven't done much lately.

As for developers, I'm always interested in games by Inkle, Santo Campo, The Chinese Room, Playdead, Ninja Theory and Nintendo (obviously).

DCDW

While their talent in the company has been around for quite some time, Hare Brained Schemes has been a solid company that has put out some solid games considering (As far as I know) they have been funded via kickstarter. Shadowrun (and its sequel SR:Hong Kong) as well as Battletech have been very solid games considering the budgets they were made with.

-Troid-

Banned
Since last gen the two developers I think of the most in terms of awesome output and staying power are Platinum games and From software. Except for P*'s arguably subpar licenced games they've both consistently delivered.

Double Helix started getting on a roll too with the Killer Instinct and Strider reboots; too bad they got bought by fucking Amazon.

Last edited:

Sophist

Zach Barth, the creator of Infiniminer. On the five last years, he gave us
  • TIS-100 (2015)
  • Infinifactory (2015)
  • Shenzhen I/O (2016)
  • Opus Magnum (2017)
  • Exapunks (2018)
  • Eliza (2019)
  • MOLEK-SYNTEZ (2019)

ROMhack

Zach Barth, the creator of Infiniminer. On the five last years, he gave us
  • TIS-100 (2015)
  • Infinifactory (2015)
  • Shenzhen I/O (2016)
  • Opus Magnum (2017)
  • Exapunks (2018)
  • Eliza (2019)
  • MOLEK-SYNTEZ (2019)

Have you played Eliza? It's on my list and I've heard good things

Sygma

Hopo games ! Risk of Rain 2 is the craziest game I've played in a long time and its made by literally 2 devs. First one was bloody excellent too

Last edited:

klosos

For me its Larian Studios (Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2 fame), i had played some of there previous games Divine Divinity 2 from 15 years ago and didn't like it , but today after Original Sin 1 & 2 i will buy anything they release.

Also they are making Baldurs Gate 3 the follow up to G.O.A.T of all time. so i am a happy man

Also Happy Christmas Everyone !!!

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Brace Yourself Games, makers of Cadence of Hyrule and Crypt of the Necrodancer, two of the coolest mashups in recent memory.

channie

Jordan Thomas (The Blackout Club)
Aurélien Regard (Penelope)
Sam Barlowe (Telling Lies)
Everything Klei shipped over the past few years (MOTN, Oxygen not included, etc)

RSB

Banned
Toby Fox.

Undertale is one of my favorite games of this decade, and he created it pretty much all by himself, including its incredible soundtrack.

Deltarune Chapter 1 was great too, and he released it for free. Can't wait for the full game.

Liljagare

Havent found a new game this year.

Had hopes for Borderlands, but, nah, it was ok.

So still going with Paradox, and Rimworld creator.

Since last gen the two developers I think of the most in terms of awesome output and staying power are Platinum games and From software. Except for P*'s arguably subpar licenced games they've both consistently delivered.

Double Helix started getting on a roll too with the Killer Instinct and Strider reboots; too bad they got bought by fucking Amazon.
Oh yeah I forgot Amazon branched out into video games. That sucks.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Playtonic is in my top 5 development houses now. Two games, two major hits for me.

Top Bottom