• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every year is great for indies, but 2016 has been exceptionally awesome

GlamFM

Banned
Outstanding.

At least 5 will make my list with The Witness being my GOTY.

Seems like I chose the right year to get my first PC ;)

It's both been a great year for indies and for getting me to fall for games in genres I tend to be more hesitant towards.

Speaking of which, it seems many are sleeping on Samorost 3. My mind has returned to that brilliant game more often in the past four months than it has any other game I've played this year.

It's both been a great year for indies and for getting me to fall for games in genres I tend to be more hesitant towards.

Speaking of which, it seems many are sleeping on Samorost 3. My mind has returned to that brilliant game more often in the past four months than it has any other game I've played this year.
I just suck at Samorost 3, and hope to give a lot more time to it before I give my full opinion on it. I'm glad you loved it so much, though, encourages me to get back to finishing it!

I just suck at Samorost 3, and hope to give a lot more time to it before I give my full opinion on it. I'm glad you loved it so much, though, encourages me to get back to finishing it!

I'm far from confident in my puzzle/point 'n click abilities, yet that game managed to surprise me in big ways. I hope you give it some more time soon!

shamo42

I guess I need to play more oxenfree. I put 45 minutes into it but nothing grabbed me so I just moved on

I should have done the same. I completed the game but the whole experience felt kind of disappointing. It was too easy. Gameplay was too simple. Basically all you had to do was run around and change the radio frequency.

I should have done the same. I completed the game but the whole experience felt kind of disappointing. It was too easy. Gameplay was too simple. Basically all you had to do was run around and change the radio frequency.
It's not exactly trying to be a brain-teaser. It being easy or simple isn't really a flaw, no more than Kentucky Route Zero can be boiled down to "run around and interact with stuff"

Thanks for this list. I went and checked out each game on Steam and added the ones that interested me (probably at least half this list, if not more) to my wishlist. Don't have the money to impulse buy them, but come the winter sale I'll be picking up a few I'm sure.

I wouldn't play a narrative game for a challenge.

Just like with Virginia, Kentucky Route Zero, That Dragon Cancer, 1979 The Revolution, or Firewatch from this year.

Sometimes I just want to bask in interesting storytelling and characters.

Wozman23

Mekazoo(well, more of a 2D sonic shoutout)

Good news! Mekazoo is coming out this Tuesday, the 15th. I hadn't seen anything on it in a while, so I had no clue it was releasing so soon.

For anyone that doesn't know, Mekazoo looks like the lovechild of the platforming of Sonic and the barrel blasting of Donkey Kong. It combines 2D gameplay with cinematic 3D transitions. You play as different mechanical animals, who all have unique platforming abilities. Plus, the retro soundtrack sounds pretty dope too.

header%20image%202.jpg

Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZImQ2GRMek

(Editor's Note: I goofed. The original link was to the Rush song 'The Color of Right' because my copy/paste command had forsaken me, failing to copy my desired link and keeping a previous link I'd copied for a different reason. Granted, it's a good song though.)

DeBurgo

Momodora is probably one of the best metroidvanias I've played. It restored my faith in the genre as something I like and am still interested in -- especially after bouncing off a bunch that I found to be technically competent but not super inspiring over the years. Granted, it kind of accomplishes that by apparently borrowing a lot from the Souls games (especially in terms of atmosphere), but that's allowed.
Do you need to play any of the other Momodora games to play this one? Idk anything about the series but this game looks like something I'd enjoy.
Don't think so. I haven't played any of the other ones, the fourth game is a prequel of some sort.

Top Bottom