• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everspace (Early Access) |OT| Rogue(like) One

Quirah

Game looks really good but I am worried about content because of Early Access. Is it worth to buy right now?

This is a roguelike? Ah man.

9413853322_b4e0ca2b59_o.gif

What! You don't like roguelikes??

Also, no HOTAS support :( Will still give this a good look.

Sloane

Banned
Game looks crazy good, kinda want to jump into early access, but I'm afraid I'll get burnt out before more content hits.

Miletius

Game looks crazy good, kinda want to jump into early access, but I'm afraid I'll get burnt out before more content hits.

Not coming from this game specifically, but I hear you. I might jump in here because it's something I really think i'd enjoy even in it's bare bones form, but with other games I'd definitely stay out until it goes full release. I did that for Darkest Dungeon and enjoyed it way more than I would have if I had jumped in early.

danowat

Banned
Game looks really good but I am worried about content because of Early Access. Is it worth to buy right now?
I get this, on the face of it, it does seem a little bare bones, but I am hoping the gameplay loop is compulsive in a Rogue legacy kind of way, and that the combat and ship control can carry that gameplay loop.

If it ticks those boxes then I'll be happy.

So good to forget you backed something and then see a game key in your inbox

I'll post some impressions later

My current standard for arcade-y space combat is House of the Dying Sun, so I hope this can match that

89hAfan.gif

Listonosh

So good to forget you backed something and then see a game key in your inbox

I'll post some impressions later

My current standard for arcade-y space combat is House of the Dying Sun, so I hope this can match that

89hAfan.gif

Whoa.... I need to look into this. I'm super impressed with Everspace but this game looks fantastic as well.

Whoa.... I need to look into this. I'm super impressed with Everspace but this game looks fantastic as well.
Yeah, it's great, and has some excellent sound design too
But while House of the Dying Sun's combat nails the tight controls and dogfighting action, it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying without its stellar sound design. Personally, I argue the audio makes the game. The muted rumble and thuds of your weapons. The rasp of your oxygen mask. The tinny chatter of your wingmen, The mechanical whir when you reload or switch weapons. The sound design draws you into the combat, gives every action an immersive and atmospheric reaction. You feel powerful, you feel like a master pilot behind the cockpit among fellow warriors.

I only have enough money for one. I need your everspace impressions asap!
Really it depends on what kind of game you want. Everspace is a roguelite, so you'll probably get more hours from it

House of Dying Sun is hand-crafted missions. Originally the game was going to be a big Mount-&-Blade style game but the combat didn't really work with that format, so the dev scaled back the game to carefully crafted missions so the combat can shine. It also has a tactical RTS side, since you can zoom out from your fighter and give orders to your armada and other fighters and then jump back into the fray. It's basically 100% lean no-frills tactical dogfights, although he did add a randomized survival mode

But I need to play more Everspace to compare them gameplay-wise

I died during the tutorial because I accidentally flew into the first weapon, took a ton of damage, and wasn't given the resources to repair before being engaged in combat in the next portion of the tutorial.

Also ended up with -$800 because they let me repair my weapons with no money, but not my hull.

Oddly enough, the game feels better with a keyboard and mouse than a controller.

The game seems to have given up on me. I started again, and the tutorial's over. :(

I just jumped, and for whatever reason nothing is getting targeted correctly. I don't think the game saves or whatever either, if it is a roguelike, so I can't restart to fix it. What the hell. It might be because something called "sensor" is damaged, but I don't know, because I don't think the game explains what all these individual parts are. I also haven't yet been given a zone with a repair ship, and repairing manually costs a bunch of rare materials I haven't yet obtained.

It ended up being because my sensors were damaged. I was somehow able to repair it with only 6 nano bots, even though now the repair materials are showing up as quite a few more materials than just nano bots. I don't understand what's going on. My primary weapons have been damaged since nearly the start of this run, and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it, making me useless in fights.

I use ShareX to screenshot bits of the screen while I'm playing games, because it uploads automatically to Imgur and has a great interface. Don't use ShareX while playing this game. I was trying to take a screenshot of something, and while ShareX is capable of freezing the screen to get the image, as soon as I backed out of ShareX, I was dead because it didn't pause the game. :/

This planet though. Wow.

Got an early access review copy, been playing it for the past 40 minutes and really enjoying it. Reminding of Wing Commander / Privateer as far as space combat. I haven't played Elite, so I can't compare it.

Yes, it is a rogue-like, I think the first Space Combat rogue-like as well.

Running it at epic / max settings at 3440x1440 (21:9) and I'm hitting 60 FPS. Smooth and has some potential.

=Oddly enough, the game feels better with a keyboard and mouse than a controller.

Agreed. I tried the Xbox controller, didn't care too much for it. The K&B is working well. Can't wait for HOTAS support.

Questions, ask away.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
For some reason SteamVR launches everytime I start the game and if I exit SteamVR Everspace closes too.

Same thing happened to me. Workaround for now: disconnect the video cable for the headset from the PC and it'll work normally.

---

Whew, there's an option to control camera shake.

+1 for only using chromatic aberration during jump exits and boost.

Using space (jump) for upward strafe and ctrl (crouch) for downward strafe is pretty clever.

It's very much "FPS in space" like early Arena Commander for Star Citizen. Not a big problem for a single player arcade-style game though.

I use ShareX to screenshot bits of the screen while I'm playing games, because it uploads automatically to Imgur and has a great interface. Don't use ShareX while playing this game. I was trying to take a screenshot of something, and while ShareX is capable of freezing the screen to get the image, as soon as I backed out of ShareX, I was dead because it didn't pause the game. :/

Hit escape and there's an "action freeze" mode that will pause, hide the UI and let you rotate the camera. Should be good for some nice missile shots.

The game is interesting; I finally made it through the first sector without dying. When it comes to visuals and audio the game is top notch, running at +120 fps on Epic @ 1080. The controls are also great and responsive. I was a little worried about keyboard/mouse, but it works well. The gameplay is pretty simple, you go from each sector gathering mats and such to use for crafting and upgrading. I don’t know how I feel about the game yet. It’s very well made, but it seems like it could get boring. I’m going to hold off on my judgment until I get further into the game. However, so far it’s pretty good.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Played for about 3 hours.

So far, I really like it. The combat feels great, the loot is interesting, and the steady perk rewards you invest your money in after death that are permanent seem balanced and helpful.

There is a great sense of exploration, risk and reward. Flying into a giant space hulk looking for loot and getting ambushed by 2 pirates is awesome.

The graphics are also fantastic. The best looking space shooter ever.

For those of us who bought the basic edition from their website a while back, when are we supposed to receive our copies? I haven't received an email or anything.

Edit: From their site.
A: If you pledged on the Kickstarter Space Cat reward or purchased the BASIC Edition or the GOD GID Pre-order you will get your key via email when we hit Early Access / GOG Games in Development on September 14.

Hopefully they send them soon, a bit frustrating knowing I could just go on Steam and be playing it.

danowat

Banned
Played for about 3 hours.

So far, I really like it. The combat feels great, the loot is interesting, and the steady perk rewards you invest your money in after death that are permanent seem balanced and helpful.

There is a great sense of exploration, risk and reward. Flying into a giant space hulk looking for loot and getting ambushed by 2 pirates is awesome.

The graphics are also fantastic. The best looking space shooter ever.

That sounds bang on for my tastes, hope the XBO version comes out soon.

Mr White

Man, this game looks so good. It is probably closest thing to Freelancer I will ever get. Will wait until full release though

Naarmight

Only had time to give it the briefest of goes last night, but was really impressed. Though that said I only tried it with a 360 controller, and that felt far too floaty, will have to try with mouse and keyboard next time out.

In two minds about whether to play much more, as I think I would rather wait for the full version to be out. I kickstarted it so I have it now, otherwise I would probably have left this alone until it was finished

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Only had time to give it the briefest of goes last night, but was really impressed. Though that said I only tried it with a 360 controller, and that felt far too floaty, will have to try with mouse and keyboard next time out.

In two minds about whether to play much more, as I think I would rather wait for the full version to be out. I kickstarted it so I have it now, otherwise I would probably have left this alone until it was finished

I think KB/M makes the combat almost too easy. I adjusted the sensitivity down on the XB controller, and am starting to get pretty good at dogfighting.

So umm, I still haven't received my key yet. Should I reach out to them?

Edit: Good thing I did, apparently there was a processing error and I wouldn't have received a key at all had I not.

Manatox

Anyone knows how to select 3rd person view? I selected first person view on tutorial, but i can't find a way to select 3rd person view now.

Overall, I like it. The game is absurdly difficult at first, but it uses the Rogue Legacy system of spending money after you die on permanent upgrades for everything.

+ The VO is both funny and well done; it's unexpected but it does work.

= One thing not clear is that some upgrades require multiple steps. For example, to get a new weapon slot, you have to purchase that icon 4-5 times, each time with an increasing cost. This is helpful in a way because it gives you a way to burn money on things you can't fully afford yet (like RL you lose money after restart) but obv you could blow money on something that doesn't actually do anything yet either.

+ I also died during the tutorial but really after awhile you don't want it anyway. Just start fighting ships, grinding for cash, looking for asteroid loot, and expect to die. I think I died 10 times in my first hour, but getting a fresh start and upgrades makes it so I want to restart anyways...

- It really needs the extra starter ships in the promise list. Feels a lot like FTL in that regard.

= Yes if your sensors are damaged, you no longer have targeting waypoints anymore. It's maybe the hardest damage to come back from because now you can't see enemies or treasures unless you're reallllly damn close. I hope they reduce the repair cost.

- Although the game looks amazing the ship interior textures are blurry and I'm not sure they mean anything. A real waste not to put ship stats on there...for example, I don't see anything indicating your current speed, which is like a staple of X/T games.

- The one thing I don't understand still is that it doesn't use newtonian or Star Wars physics, really. You have to hold the accelerator or you will drift to a stop. I really wish there was a way to just toggle that on because holding W sucks basically everywhere except when you are maneuvering around asteroids/ships.

+ You get some more lore now and then, particularly jumping to new maps. Its good.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Overall, I like it. The game is absurdly difficult at first, but it uses the Rogue Legacy system of spending money after you die on permanent upgrades for everything.

+ The VO is both funny and well done; it's unexpected but it does work.

= One thing not clear is that some upgrades require multiple steps. For example, to get a new weapon slot, you have to purchase that icon 4-5 times, each time with an increasing cost. This is helpful in a way because it gives you a way to burn money on things you can't fully afford yet (like RL you lose money after restart) but obv you could blow money on something that doesn't actually do anything yet either.

+ I also died during the tutorial but really after awhile you don't want it anyway. Just start fighting ships, grinding for cash, looking for asteroid loot, and expect to die. I think I died 10 times in my first hour, but getting a fresh start and upgrades makes it so I want to restart anyways...

- It really needs the extra starter ships in the promise list. Feels a lot like FTL in that regard.

= Yes if your sensors are damaged, you no longer have targeting waypoints anymore. It's maybe the hardest damage to come back from because now you can't see enemies or treasures unless you're reallllly damn close. I hope they reduce the repair cost.

- Although the game looks amazing the ship interior textures are blurry and I'm not sure they mean anything. A real waste not to put ship stats on there...for example, I don't see anything indicating your current speed, which is like a staple of X/T games.

- The one thing I don't understand still is that it doesn't use newtonian or Star Wars physics, really. You have to hold the accelerator or you will drift to a stop. I really wish there was a way to just toggle that on because holding W sucks basically everywhere except when you are maneuvering around asteroids/ships.

+ You get some more lore now and then, particularly jumping to new maps. Its good.

A good starter tip is that it's pretty cheap to make more of the initial missiles you get, so use them if you are attacked.

Also, when you jump into a new system and you see red arrows, immediately afterburner away from them so you can asses the system's situation without threat of being immediately attacked. Use your starter super afterburner to escape combat if you start getting ganged up on.

Another one... if you see yellow friendly ships in the area, draw enemies towards them. They'll help you fight.

I am really liking the game. The more I play, the more becomes apparent in how to survive, and the loop gets stronger. I just made it 4 maps in my last run and had to quit out. I have a ton of resources, and I'm starting to see some really cool new stuff on the maps.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is it fair to say it's Rogue legacy in space?

It is similar, but Rogue Legacy was a masterpiece of tight design.

This is an entirely different beast. It's a mix of Freespace/wing commander space combat with exploration, with a tight risk/reward mechanic that is similar to Rogue Legacy.

It will live or die on how compelling it's space combat is, and from what I've played so far it is punishing but quite good.

I think if we're going to do game comparisons, it's Rogue Legacy + Space Combat + FTL.

There is work it needs to do on all three pillars, but it's still very fun for what's there.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
There is also a bit of Descent in there as well. I've come across large asteroids with tunnels in them, and you need to use strafing and the internal structure of the tunnels to pop out and take out turrets and pop back behind cover to avoid being hit.

There is also a bit of Descent in there as well. I've come across large asteroids with tunnels in them, and you need to use strafing and the internal structure of the tunnels to pop out and take out turrets and pop back behind cover to avoid being hit.

Yeah, that's where the weird physics model works great. If they would just put an autothrottle in there I'd be happy...

SnowTeeth

Banned
i7 2600 and GTX 960 4GB does not cope well with Epic settings at all. It even drops a few frames on High. Hoping for some more optimization before I sink my teeth into this one. I know my PC is old(ish), but going by the recommended specs I thought performance wasn't going to be a problem.

Memory

Can you change the pilot voice to female or turn it off? I didn't like the one I've heard in the youtube video's.

Can you change the pilot voice to female or turn it off? I didn't like the one I've heard in the youtube video's.

Well it's an indie game / early access so pretty sure they didn't double-record the VO...but you can probably turn it off? I haven't checked yet.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
i7 2600 and GTX 960 4GB does not cope well with Epic settings at all. It even drops a few frames on High. Hoping for some more optimization before I sink my teeth into this one. I know my PC is old(ish), but going by the recommended specs I thought performance wasn't going to be a problem.

My 970 maintains 60 fps with everything epic but shadows at medium. Try adjusting the shadows.

Keasar

Starting to wonder if my processor is getting too old. :(

I have a Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4 ghz, and when playing Everspace I am getting sometimes these extreme lag spikes where the game suddenly freezes for a few seconds. I pulled up the Task Manager and saw that every time it was because of the processor suddenly spiking like fuck to 100% from perhaps 60%, usually seem to happen when in combat.

Top Bottom