• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever wonder if you would stop playing video games after a certain age?

killatopak

Gold Member
I still need to school my grandkids.

e7a.jpg

kiphalfton

Let me say this, what made binging Netfilx series all night long more "mature" than playing game all night? There are zero engagement watching tv but when gaming you are engaged.

I went from playing games probably 2-3 hours a day, to watching Netflix at least 3-4 hours a day. There's something addictive about netflix, and binge watching overrated TV shows.

Gentle

Banned

I started playing video games when I first went over to my "rich" friends house and he had an Atari computer system. He would load up these video games from a floppy disc(88k storage capacity) and I thought it was magic.

Growing up, I would always here adults saying I would grow out of video games, and for a time, I actually wondered when I would stop playing video games and become an "adult". Hahaha, times have indeed changed.

The newer generation will be born into video games and will know video games as a way of life and not just a childish hobby. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing yet.

I've been playing since my mom got me the NES with Mario and duck hunt. I am almost 40 and don't see myself stopping anytime soon. It's a hobby and stress relief. My father is 63 and has hundreds of hours into gta5 online under his belt. Guess it runs in the family
This is for real. I am an old timer in my mid 30's and there are times where I have more space for games. But it is never something that leaves my life because it has been such an integral part of my personhood. I feel like the longer you play the more you develop your personal taste. That personal taste can really broaden the context of the contemporary games. I love seeing games now that are being made by people who played games since they were little. All the hidden gems or artists nodding at other games with level design, item placement, lighting. It is incredible and I love that.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I missed nearly the whole PS3/360/Wii gen.

Didnt really play games at all during that time. Also 2nd half of the PS2 gen.

McCheese

No, but I mentally stopped aging at like 14. I'm 50 next year and still get hyped for new consoles and gaming reveals.

I have less time to play them, so definitely more fussy and less forgiving of games which don't value my time, but give me a great game and I'll sit there like a kid playing it nonstop.

LokusAbriss

I will never stop playing, because I have reached a certain age. But I might see myself losing interest some day.

It is really sad to hear and see people abandoning hobbies. When I hear my wife and her friends occasionally talk about games they enjoyed in their childhood and teens, I feel sad for them. They deliberately cut their ties with gaming at a certain age. They enjoy their brainless tv shows and romantic novels, but you can clearly see that it doenst bring them the same joy.

I believe playing and the resulting joy is essential to life. Abandoning things you enjoy will not make you happier.

Last edited:

manzo

38 here. Basically when my kids were born my game time dropped off a cliff. Not because of the kids, more about my attention going elsewhere.

I started working out more, spending time outside more and started to get my dopamine off trading. Now gaming is more the Friday/Saturday night Overwatch/R6/Whatever shootbang du jour along with a couple of Gin Tonics to wind off while talking shit with my buddies. So it became more a habit play to talk with friends along with a single player project game on the sidelines.

There are some releases that when they come out, I devour instantly. Last one was Trials of Mana and Secret of Mana remakes. Those I blasted through in a couple of weeks (which is insanely fast for me). My playthrough of Resident Evil 7 on VR took me nearly 2 years, Ys 8 took me a bit over an year, Ys Celceta 2 years etc. I play games slowly but I get them done. I'm on no hurry as the most important thing happened:

I value my time. If the game doesn't feel like it clicks, I drop it off immediately. Doesn't matter at which point. If I get my fix, I drop it and don't look back.

That's the difference now versus then. I finished all my games even how shitty they were.

Last edited:

Daymos

No, but I mentally stopped aging at like 14. I'm 50 next year and still get hyped for new consoles and gaming reveals.

I have less time to play them, so definitely more fussy and less forgiving of games which don't value my time, but give me a great game and I'll sit there like a kid playing it nonstop.

You say 'mentally stopped aging' but I think it's more that you weren't brainwashed by society into a life that throws away fun & excitement and fully embraces work and money. That's how I feel anyhow.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Not really. If I can, I play; if I have other stuff going in, I don't worry about playing.

When I'm old man I'm sure I'll have enough time to keep playing video games, probably GTA 7 at this rate.

Zero7

I've been playing more than ever this past year. I'll probably take a break for a while once life gets back to normal. But I'll never quit gaming for good

Gandih42

That is disturbing tbh, but thankfully thats nothing to do with games that problem is caused by instilling entitlement and the removal of delayed gratification. Babies that young think the world is made to serve them, so if you put the colours and movement right in front of them and then there is an infinite supply with no delay between events then you will create this problem in the baby.

If anything games make you work for the gratification (Or they should anyway imo) so this problem won't arise. Although if they've already grown up like in the way you describe they won't have the patience for even playing games. I think in the near future of games accessibility options like "skip level" or "infinite health" will become standard in all games to facilitate this new impatient/entitled generation.

What a future! Woo-hoo!

This kind of stuff fascinates me endlessly. I really can't wait to see long term studies of the effects of never being bored. I personally believe, with no scientific backing whatsoever, that it is good for your mental health to spend part of your time being bored, disconnected and unengaged. On the more scientific side, perhaps something to do with the brain needs time to rest from constant stimuli. On the more philosophical side, I like to imagine that the contrast between 'boring' moments and intense moments is a key ingredient of what makes them memorable and enjoyable. I guess that is sort of how pacing is generally using in entertainment. I completely agree the problem of instant gratification and entitlement is primarily due to how entertainment is readily available constantly, even for small children and infants. But even in games I think there are examples of game design and monetization going too far in terms of using gratification to keep peoples attention, which can encourage bad habits.

In terms of the actual topic, age in itself won't be what determines whether or not I play videogames, but rather whatever is going on in my life. I have too many hobbies, and occasionally gaming will be the one to take the backseat. I only got a PS4 two years ago because I barely played games after the PS3/360 era. Now I'm catching up with a PS4, Switch and a PC, which is awesome. I don't have all that much time for it, but that just means I literally have an endless supply of great games. I doubt I'll ever lose interest completely though. Even if I'm not playing games, I like following gaming news, development and tech.

I think the idea videogames are for young/immature people is more about the way you play games. Like many others say, there's nothing inherently 'better' about binge watching mindless tv shows than playing a game. But as an adult, you should be able to manage your responsibilities while making time for games. People who neglect their responsibilities in favor of having more time to play videogames are the ones people actually think of when they say adults playing videogames are immature, I would say.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm almost 30 and i wouldn't say i'm gonna quit completely any time soon but i'm definitely not interested in playing games as much anymore. i wouldn't even say age is the issue tbh. think it's just the depression making me not have any energy to do anything. it's not just games cause i am struggling to read books or watch movies as well. i still have a few games i want to play that i've bought and there's some upcoming games i want to play too.

i've still to play these games i've bought:

cyberpunk
hades
death stranding
persona 5 strikers

upcoming games i can't miss:

Elden Ring
Hogwarts Legacy
Diablo IV
Breath Of The Wild sequel

going forward i probably will just stick to a game series i've enjoyed and be less likely to try new stuff out. also as far as hardware is concerned i'm totally done building PCs and will just pick up consoles for cheap. my current PC cost ~£3,000 to build and i can't justify doing that anymore. also this is the first generation i've not bought a console at launch. i actually had both a PS5/XSX pre ordered so i can definitely afford it but just didn't feel like dropping £900 on consoles. i'll wait until we get slim revisions in a couple years and buy one for £200-300 or something. the less money i spent on games the better.

Last edited:

Aesius

Having a child makes it really tough to game. My son is still at an age where he needs nearly constant attention. So if I’m gaming it means my wife is watching him. And then I feel bad about ignoring them to do something so “pointless” when I could be helping out around the house or taking over and letting her do other things. I’m hoping I’ll have more time when he gets older. I still love gaming.

Raven117

Gold Member
I did as a kid. Didn't think I would still be playing them at my age, but here I am.

That said, it ebbs and flows.

Trilobit

The newer generation will be born into video games and will know video games as a way of life and not just a childish hobby. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing yet.

As a 90s kid I feel this has already happened, but maybe that's what you meant by newer generation.

When I was a kid I played lots of games and watched movies. As a teenager I gravitated more towards music and TV shows. Now as an adult I enjoy all of these things, but in more moderate doses as I have gotten grown-up duties and also other hobbies in my life. I have phases where I barely listen to any music or watch any movies, but I'd never proudly claim that I've grown out of these things as I have seen some people do on video games. Games are just another medium of entertainment, much like knitting and listening to the radio was for older gens.

Last edited:

TheContact

i don't think i'll ever stop and i don't think age has anything to do with it either. when i played daoc when i was a teenager, i would group with another kid who was around my age and also his GRANDMOTHER. always found that funny, but she liked to play with him because they didn't live anywhere near each other

Harold Lloyd

Neo Member
I'm 46 and my gaming has gradually decreased to only 2-3 games a year. Not through lack of interest (I lurk on here so clearly still love the hobby), it's just the amount of other more important things in my life has increased - wife, kids, parents getting older etc. So, the love is still there... the time, not so much.

no. play is a very important part of life and videogames are a harmless outlet for this. escapism through this means, or other activities such as movies or music, provides great stress relief for the brain. a perfectly normal way to spend your time, as long as you remember one basic rule: genesis does what nintendon't!

Fbh

Don't think so.
Going to be 30 in a few months and gaming is still one of my main hobbies. Of course as I've taken on more responsibilities the time I can dedicate to gaming has decreased, and also I've widened my interests over the years so it's not like I dedicate all my free time to gaming, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy games anymore.

The whole concept of games being something you "outgrow" seems silly to me and mostly due to it being a relatively young type of entertainment that was initially heavily marketed towards children.
You aren't expected to outgrow movies, or books, or watching sports or listening to music.

For most I don't think it will be seen as a "way of life", I think as more generation are born into videogames and grow old with games around it will just shift to being another common type of pastime or hobby.
Like a grandpa that still goes crazy watching his sports team, an aunt that devours mystery novels, a dad that likes action movies....you'll just have people that like games.

FrankieSab

I am still gaming at 57. I have known everything from Pong and Nintendo watch games to current hardware. I have known the beginning of PC gaming, Microsoft Flight Simulator 1 and Sierra games. The first sound card and the first color CGA card, the first 3D graphic card and the big change it had on graphics. I am a developper (ERP not games) and I am always on a PC for work, that's the reason that now I prefer to play on my couch with a console.

Last edited:

Zeeed

I'm 46 and my gaming has gradually decreased to only 2-3 games a year. Not through lack of interest (I lurk on here so clearly still love the hobby), it's just the amount of other more important things in my life has increased - wife, kids, parents getting older etc. So, the love is still there... the time, not so much.

I see this a lot. The other day a good friend of mine called me up very excited to share the news that he actually finished a game from beginning to end! It was "Days Gone".

He was so proud that with wife/kids/dog/etc., he was able to finish an open world game. He was describing it like he just witnessed a miracle or something, LOL!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I’d be fine with books, music, and video games into my old age, especially as games become more like sports. I’ve mostly phased out movies and TV. It doesn’t feel like a good time investment.

I've been gaming regularly (as in, 12 hours a week, but upwards of 30+ hours easy sometimes) since I was about 9 years old and I'm turning 44 this year, so... If it hasn't happened yet it likely never will. Unless I develop dementia or some other condition that fucks me over.

I still need to school my grandkids.

e7a.jpg
Holy shit, this is f'ing amazing. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

devilNprada

I went from playing games probably 2-3 hours a day, to watching Netflix at least 3-4 hours a day. There's something addictive about netflix, and binge watching overrated TV shows.

funny... I play on the Switch these days so i can do both...

Last edited:

spacedublin

Neo Member
27, ever since i started working full time i definitely dont game as much, nor do i play for long periods of time. It's probably due to most games just being new versions of old games (AC, cod, battlefield, etc...) that i enjoyed growing up and its all gotten stale to me. I usually just throw twitch on and watch other people game. Im probably just getting lazy or developers just don't make solid, engaging games anymore without shoving micro transactions and dlc down my throat to enjoy a full experience, but its probably leaning more towards me being lazy after long shifts.

gypsygib

The same generation that spent their golden years watching pointless game shows, ridiculously stupid sitcoms and soap operas all day were telling people that what they were playing was a killing their brain cells and a waste of life..sure.

"Stop wasting your time on that Nintendo and come watch the Price is Right like an adult".

RavageX

I did quit for a while, and the only thing that might make me quit again would be the continued direction that games seem to be going in. Too focused on pushing agendas, or just not making FULL games. There's more to it, but that is the basis I believe. Takes all the fun out of them.

yansolo

probably wont ever quit, but im 32 atm and definitely dont play as much as I used to

i also find myself enjoying indie games more and more since they tend to just be quicker to get into over huge 50 hour AAA games

Aesius

I’d be fine with books, music, and video games into my old age, especially as games become more like sports. I’ve mostly phased out movies and TV. It doesn’t feel like a good time investment.
Hearing about so many "must-see" TV shows gets exhausting. And so few shows have satisfying payoffs. I rarely get into new series now. They are mostly slogs, even the fairly good ones. Just don't have the attention span or patience to watch 100+ 1 hour long episodes.

Woggleman

I will be in a nursing home at 90 playing video games. I will not be lectured on maturity by people who watch reality shows and crap on TV.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've been playing video games for almost as long as video games have existed and I don't ever see myself stopping.

The only time I nearly stopped playing video games at all, was back when my most recent console purchases were the PS3, PSVita and Wii U. In that specific order.

I really don’t think I’ll ever completely stop playing video games, they’re by far the best form of escapism after a hard or tiring day.

The only thing I can see changing are what types of games I play. If I begin to lose some motor function when I get older, I’ll probably stick to turn base RPGS. And if by some misfortune I get old to the point I can’t figure out how consoles work in the future, I’ll probably stick to retro gaming.

The thing is, I’ll never stop.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'm 30 and I spoke to a fella who was 52 who plays games and when he told me still plays games I laughed and he got MAAAAAAAD. I just didn't think family men still bothered especially 50+ but it is what it is. I play Apex on my PS4 and most of the average player base range from like 10-18. I've played with people older than me like twice.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm 30 and I spoke to a fella who was 52 who plays games and when he told me still plays games I laughed and he got MAAAAAAAD. I just didn't think family men still bothered especially 50+ but it is what it is. I play Apex on my PS4 and most of the average player base range from like 10-18. I've played with people older than me like twice.
I imagine he is invested in his hobby. Imagine being invested in your hobby just to have someone act like you don’t really belong.

Ageism has existed in gaming for decades now. Do people have to play multiplayer games? That whole section of eSports retires in their mid or early 20’s. Gaming has a lot of different things to focus on. When you sign onto a console or even Steam; you aren’t signing on as a group. So there’s no actual dictator telling that you’re too old to play. I got out of playing a lot of multiplayer years ago. It wasn’t that I was getting older, but I just don’t like it more than single player. I was introduced to gaming with single player games.

I remember this one time I went over to someone’s house in college. The guy was a couple years older than me and probably more GQ like in a lot of ways. We talked about games and we decided to play. It was kinda embarrassing having kids talk about their school day in the matchmaking lobby. That part has always existed. They’re free to play as much as anyone does. I knew enough about gaming to where I knew that wasn’t the best gaming had to offer. I had to refresh my mind afterwards. Playing a game I was looking forward to or one I had reserved.

The worst possible thing is you have people like Geoff Keighley stand on stage and talk about how we are bonded together by games and how they’ve integrated themselves in our lives. I have absolutely nothing against Keighley. I just think you also have this crowd that only focus on the 11-18 year olds hopping on multiplayer games and then that’s their definition of gaming. That doesn’t tell me about that awesome RPG or story based game that was wonderful to play. I do agree in that the older generation didn’t hold onto gaming and there’s certainly quite a lot of people who didn’t see the point in watching the industry grow and mature.

What if I told you that there are middle aged men who play farming simulators? Retired pilots who play war simulators? That isn’t Fortnite or Apex. Does it really have to be? I don’t exactly think about the next skin I’m going to spend my money on inside a battle Royal game. Skill or no skill, that doesn’t even come to mind when I play games. There’s a lot about gaming that you can just ignore. I can’t watch more than 5 minutes of those large League of Legends or Counter Strike tournaments. That doesn’t define gaming in my mind and it doesn’t have to, let it make other people rich. I’ll just stick to what I like. Chances are, someone out there might make money off my enjoyment of their game.

Top Bottom