• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever played a game that made you feel stupid?

Dishonoured 2, just about to go through a transition point and spotted an enemy out of the corner of my eye and decided to go back and kill them without realising they had 2 friends with them. Long story short I got myself dead and had to go back about 30 mins. I felt really dumb.

royox

What about games that think I’m stupid. The never ending and repeating tutorial messages of a skyward sword comes to mind.

Ugggh. I understand games need a tutorial at the beginning because not everybody is a gamer that's been playing games since he was 5...but every time i see the classic "press left to move left" kills something inside me.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I decided to try my hand at a couple of Paradox games and what a mistake! Crusader King 2 makes a bit more sense than Hearts of Iron 4 (which I can't even figure out after a 3 hour tutorial how to really begin) and Europa Universalis IV is almost the same way. I finished the tutorial and felt it explained absolutely nothing to the core of the game so I just wasted 3.9 hours of my life, according to Steam.

Anyone else play a game where they are so defeated, their brain feels a bit smoother?
It only seems that way because you don't have the genre knowledge that carries over from other games? It will be more inscrutable to you if you hadn't played them before, although strategy games do tend to use idiosyncratic design more than other genre . You could get initiated into it better via some youtube videos. But that doesn't speak to whether or not you would find it fun at the end of that tunnel. It's understandable then if you don't want to deal with that barrier to entry (there is a point where it gets ridiculous e.g. I've tried to learn Dwarf Fortress three times)

Kupfer

VreDzU6.jpg

QcZKfEK.jpg

i started getting back into Kerbal recently (inspired by SpaceX) and even bought the expansions. bought it years ago but didn't play it much. even now i'm only about 53 hours played. i've got a bit better in that i can get into orbit no problem now and can even reach mun orbit (sometimes) but i still have no idea WTF i'm doing lol. i just hope for the best. i've tried watching tutorials but a lot of the things people say confuse me.

Every chess game.
i got into chess a while back. before i could only name a few pieces and only knew how a knight moved. i know the very basics now but i suck. i play on chess.com and get my ass kicked all the time :)

Last edited:

ShadowNate

The was a specific level on Braid that I just couldn't wrap my mind around it. I solved it, but probably wouldn't be able to recreate the solution quickly.

The Witness was a lot better-- quite fun I might add.

There were puzzles in the Myst Series, particularly the URU one, that were really hard. Then again URU had some puzzle design issues (little progress feedback, originally designed as co-op) itself.

Riven had hard puzzles, but it felt so good when figuring out the solution especially by noticing all the hints and story-telling in the environment clues.

Same with Obra Dinn. It can get difficult, but you feel "smarter" and a sense of satisfaction when solving the fates.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
No.

Though games like Mordhau or Doom Eternal certainly make feel like I'm reacting way too slow sometimes.
That might be an age thing, though :messenger_grinning_sweat:

nemiroff

Gold Member
The Witness BY FAR. But I persevered and completed most of the game - Until I realized that my lack of motivation was due to the game being mostly an empty and depressive PoS game with no sense of accomplishment. So I left the rest of it behind.

CeeJay

Every casual multiplayer FPS games make me feel stupid. My situational awareness always seems to put me at a disadvantage in exchanges and on the odd occasion when i should have an advantage i mess it up! I do OK on other multiplayer games its just FPS I am terrible at.

Strangely out of all the games mentioned so far there is only really Hearts Of Iron IV that I've struggled figuring out what to do with the Witness being probably my favourite puzzle game of all time that I found really relaxing to play, explore and solve.

I'm surprised at a lack of Zachtronics games being mentioned so far which seem to baffle a lot of people.

Orta

Banned
I recently downloaded Kurushi for my ps3. I was really good at it on the PS1 but either most of my brain cells have died over the past 20 years or I'm overlooking something blatantly obvious because I kept getting squished on the first stage.

I haven't returned to it out of shame.

Birdo

Banned
Monster Hunter World.

I spent more time reading the countless in-game tutorials than I did actually hunting monsters.

Holammer

Like op I spent 111 minutes trying to figure out Europa Universalis 3 and giving up.
Completing Crysis 2, learning years later it is actually possible to change attachments on weapons.

Bragr

Banned
I bumped this thread because I am also trying to learn Hearts of Iron IV.

What a motherfucker, I have never played a game this hard to figure out. It takes hours, and the in-game tutorial is just a joke, you have to study YouTube videos and wikis.

I know I am eventually gonna like the game because the potential for "serious" strategy is immense, the way that you need supply for your armies to survive, and how you can attack several fronts and play with your opponent's mind is incredible.

I would imagine that the learning process repels half of the players that try to learn it, but since it's so in-depth, once you learn it, you stay with it for years. It lives off its super hardcore fanbase.

Phase

Every metroidvania at one point or another makes me feel that way. When I look up the solution after running around for too long, I scoff and blame the devs for being obtuse.

crozier

Burnout Paradise.

Seriously. I have no sense of direction and not having obvious HUD map elements makes the game almost unplayable.

Jonathan Blow is such a diehard puzzle-maker that after bending the rules for platformers and adventure games he went on to devise his own programming language... Lol
Yup. And scoffing people who use third party game engines and program in scripting languages on his live streams. Because it is far better to create your own programming language and game engine, except that it takes you about 10 years to release a new game that way, Jon.

(The man is a genius, though)

nikolino840

Yeah..paradox games and turn based jrpg becouse i don't know why if i Attack the boss i die becouse i don't defend my self..if i defend my self i don't lower the bar of the boss...i don't feel like this in western turn based games like divinity (i have a problem i know 😂)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I played Grim Fandango a while back and holy shit the 'puzzles' in it are impossible without a guide lol.

These old point and click adventure games were made for a different breed of gamers.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The most literal example:

41VEG%2BcZSBL._SX385_.jpg

Nothing like getting told as a 20 year old that your mental age entered retirement.

:messenger_downcast_sweat:
wii-fit_liegestutzen,19237_m_n.jpg

nothing like getting told as a 16.year old that your body age is 40.

unclbenn

i remember trying s.k.a.t.e for the first time at a friends house. i could just not grasp the mechanics of the game and everytime the controller got passed to me i would just constantly bail and wipe out. it was such a horrible experience that i never touched the skate franchise after that moment.

Vangellis

I can't say it makes me feel stupid, but The Witness was my first thought. I've completed a large portion of the game but just get fatigued from it. It's clever, but for some reason I hardly get satisfaction when I figure the puzzles out.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
More like specific parts of games I've otherwise been generally okay with.

There's a sliding block puzzle on an icy floor in the Snowpeak Ruins in Twilight Princess that made me look borderline braindead for an hour.

It took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that Motorball in the FFVIIR was destroying me because I wasn't using the brakes on the Hardy Daytona.

Shit like that.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Crosscode was my game of a lifetime, exactly what I was looking for, then those damn dungeon puzzles happened. I attempted the first major one for about two hours before I bowed out. What a terrible design decision that effectively made a game go from one of my most cherished games of all time, to dirt…I’m so stupid 😔 lol

Accounting Plus when Justin Roiland starts insulting me for not finding the button fast enough. ‘What kind of idiots are they sending us? They can’t even find a stupid button. It’s right there!’

Last edited:

wvnative

I'm playing Max Payne 3 right now and despite being a HYPER linear game, I have had several instances of getting "lost" or uncertain how to progress...

Like...how am I getting confused in a linear third person shooter?

Top Bottom