• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever played a game that made you feel stupid?

DryvBy

I decided to try my hand at a couple of Paradox games and what a mistake! Crusader King 2 makes a bit more sense than Hearts of Iron 4 (which I can't even figure out after a 3 hour tutorial how to really begin) and Europa Universalis IV is almost the same way. I finished the tutorial and felt it explained absolutely nothing to the core of the game so I just wasted 3.9 hours of my life, according to Steam.

Anyone else play a game where they are so defeated, their brain feels a bit smoother?

PSYGN

Echo_Night_-_Beyond_Coverart.png

I was a kid but I never been stuck at the beginning of a game for so long not knowing what to do. I knew I had to cross the ghost on the bridge but it always got to me.

Last edited:

SCB3

Total War and Stellaris can break me, too many systems going on at once, CK3 actually improves the led on with its tutorial campaign and that helped me understand that kind of 4x genre more

laynelane

I've never had a game like that, but there have been parts of games. For example, I didn't really get Blitzball in FFX after the tutorial and reading it again several times. But then a friend explained it and I understood no problem. I think some games are genuinely difficult but there's also many that don't explain their systems well or they aren't explained in a way that an individual understands easily.

PhoenixTank

I don't think I'll be able to get my head around Dwarf Fortress until the GUI Steam release.

CK2 took a lot, but god that game is worth it for the shit that can happen. Emergent gameplay 👌

angrod14

Souls games. Entire afternoons wasted feeling disoriented and filled with pure frustration while I tried the same section over, and over, and over again, until I realized how stupid it was to keep trying when obviously I wasn't having a good time, that being the whole point of playing games. Ditched them and moved on.

Last edited:
Braid. I love puzzle games but this one I couldn't finish because I'm too dumb.
Fighting games in general. Any time I play with friends they seem to always know what they're doing while I get my ass kicked.

TexMex

I beat the Hannah Montana movie game on PS3 for the free platinum trophy. The game wasn’t hard but I felt stupid for doing it and I was.

joedan

Nobunaga's Ambition NES. Got it without a manual. Had no idea what I was doing.
Maniac Mansion NES. Also had no idea how to play such games.

The Witness... or maybe I just lack patience with these kinds of games
I actually finished it, it's great. Very much feels like Myst, but the puzzles are entirely of another nature - it's the language of the game itself, it speaks to you in that language and expects answers. It's very coherent.

and yet, there's that magical aha moment in this game where you begin seeing that language everywhere...

very underrated and mind-blowing game.

I kind of feel dumb in Tales games. They keep throwing new combat tips after every battle 20 hours into the games and I've long completely given up on grasping it all.

The problem is, on normal difficulty, at least, I just cruise through with mostly just button mashing. But, still, I WANT to understand what I'm doing.

Recently played through Portal 2 with a friend and forgot how bad I am at basically all puzzle games. Made me feel like a right idiot.

Which is funny because Catherine is in my top 5 games of all time.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Every game of Stellaris I play I know there will be a point where I throw my hands up because I have too much to manage and will eventually die to the cataclysm in 2500 A.D.

Sejan

What about games that think I’m stupid. The never ending and repeating tutorial messages of a skyward sword comes to mind.

Banned
well all these AAA movie games sure make you think the devs think you're mentally retarded with all that handholding... does that count?

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Europa Universalis IV and HoI4. My friend tried to walk me through both and I just could not get a full understanding of those games, it's complete information overload. Stellaris was surprisingly much more manageable even though I still don't quite understand how to build powerful fleets and end up with the weakest units everytime me and my friends play.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The Witness... or maybe I just lack patience with these kinds of games

This right here. I put in about 8 hours and liked it for the most part, but it got to a point where I was no longer enjoying it at all.

Also Myst when I was a kid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone already brought it up but Lego Harry Potter and some of the others. The game doesn't explain at all what your doing at times or pick up things that don't mean anything when some other obscure thing is the missing price you didn't know you needed. Just get stuck and try everything I can for a half hour before I look up what to do, which isn't fun and literally makes feel stupid.

dcx4610

The statue puzzle in Twilight Princess or any slide puzzle. Hurts my brain.

Catherine was also challenging but in a good way. Still, it made mer anxious with the timer and board collapsing. It was like doing a math problem and your life depended on it.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Recently?

The obtuse translation puzzles in the first Onimusha. I still don't understand what visual cues I was supposed to rely on to figure those out. Thank God GameFaqs is till a thing

Last edited:
Bioshock on launch week. It took me way too long to realize that Adam was just an in game currency.
it one day dawned on me how the upgrade mechanics Worked.
Smack forehead. Ooohhhh I get it now.

Last edited:

Kao The Kangaroo

Neo Member
DOTA 2 - right now I am playing this MOBA with our friends. The more I get into each mechanic, character composition, tactics, micro-management - the more dumbfounded I feel after another loss...

nkarafo

One more vote for the Witness in the pile.

It's the kind of game that would work in a "stranded in an island with only one game" scenario. And even then you would never 100% it.

Yeah, its called Gone Home. Felt stupid after spending money to buy a walking simulator.

Never trust Polygon and their 10/10 ever again.
Imagine how stupid I felt when I realised that I'd spent over an hour trying to beat the game in less than 28 seconds...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Was too young at the time, so my attempts got nowhere. But my older siblings didn't do much better.

But those old text based games like Zork in the 80s were mind numbing. You needed to use the correct text parser. For it's time pretty good, but still with the game having a random kind of time limit (the lurking monster getting you), you needed a combo of good ideas and the right text to forge ahead.

There was one game called Planetfall. It must had been a tough game. I don't think they got more than 10 minutes into the game.

Top Bottom