• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever had a bitch of an apartment manager?

nightfly

Mine certainly is,, been living here for 10 years and the first manager was fine, but after 4 years she was replaced by a new manager who is the nastiest most picky bitch I have ever came across. She does these "random inspections" and ALWAYS finds something to bitch about. Like she isn't satisfied unless she can find something to bitch about. Just a few months ago she came by, looked around and pointed to the living room ceiling fan and literally yelled out "YOU NEED TO CLEAN THAT!!!" and huffed off. And just last week, I was walking around the complex playing Pokemon Go, sat down on the bench in front of the manager's office for a whopping two minutes to catch a few pokemon and pokestops and as I got up and was leaving no less she busts out from the main door yelling "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!??"" I just showed her my phone told her playing Pokemon Go and without saying anything just walked right back in to her office.

Like JFC do people like her just straight up go out of their way to find something, anything to bitch about?

2JFDvc1.gif

nush

Mine certainly is,, been living here for 10 years and the first manager was fine, but after 4 years she was replaced by a new manager who is the nastiest most picky bitch I have ever came across. She does these "random inspections" and ALWAYS finds something to bitch about. Like she isn't satisfied unless she can find something to bitch about. Just a few months ago she came by, looked around and pointed to the living room ceiling fan and literally yelled out "YOU NEED TO CLEAN THAT!!!" and huffed off. And just last week, I was walking around the complex playing Pokemon Go, sat down on the bench in front of the manager's office for a whopping two minutes to catch a few pokemon and pokestops and as I got up and was leaving no less she busts out from the main door yelling "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!??"" I just showed her my phone told her playing Pokemon Go and without saying anything just walked right back in to her office.

Like JFC do people like her just straight up go out of their way to find something, anything to bitch about?
Bro, let me give you some solid proven life advice on how to deal with people like that.

You lay some obvious "Dirty" bait for them that will draw their eye quickly so they can get it out of their system that they feel have achieved something, got their power trip and then fuck the fuck off quickly. For example, splash a little soda on the outside of the kitchen door, let it dry so there's a stain that can easily be wiped off in seconds, not too much but enough to be noticeable and enough for you to live with until the next "random inspection".
She will come in, see that obvious stain, get her power trip and won't have to look deeper for anything else.

When I was young I used to have to clean fast food restaurant kitchens late at night (2AM) and there was always at least one manager on duty that did the inspections before allowing you to go howm that was exactly as you described your manager to be. First the obvious thing to do was to do the best job you could. Except that never worked as they just started digging deeper until they found something. So I learned to do a good job and then leave a blatant obvious "How could you miss that?" blob of ketchup on part of the counter. They saw it told me to clean it properly and moved on to the rest of the kitchen. They didn't start opening cupboards or pulling out equipment like they would if you did a perfect job.

Worked 100% of the time with every jobsworth manager.

Mossybrew

I have lived in rentals my entire life, and I'm OLD and I've never had a manager do "random inspections" - it has always been announced by mail/notice on your door and never more than once a year.

nush

I have lived in rentals my entire life, and I'm OLD and I've never had a manager do "random inspections" - it has always been announced by mail/notice on your door and never more than once a year.

Shit happens, not every landlord follows the rules. I had a landlord put an apartment I was living in on a one year contract on the market, I only found out when the real estate agent turned up at my door with clients looking to view it. I still had months left on my contract.

nush

just the usual ridiculous rent increases.

I learned very quickly to get ahead of that one. My motivation to save money is higher than your laziness and assumption that I'm too lazy to look for another apartment. I start looking two months before my contract is due to be renewed and even if the next apartment might be a little more expensive than my current one it will always be cheaper than whatever random rent increase the landlord decides to add. Like fuck those guys, do they really think everyone gets a pay rise every year??

I always hope that they lose a month or twos rent when I leave on an empty apartment that they are trying to rent at an inflated cost because they thought they could rinse a sitting tenant.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Not an apartment manager but I had a landlord who was a fucking psychopath. The woman was completely detached from reality. And I don't mean that she was a just a bitch and gave me grief. She was a legit nutcase. Full on tinfoil religious conspiracy nutcase that constantly harassed me throughout the entirety of my 2 year lease. That psycho bitch taught me to NEVER EVER sign anything longer than a year unless I had extensive personal contact with them ahead of time.

She once showed up at my house after I had just had surgery on my knee and my girlfriend at the time was out of town on a business trip. I was on crutches and told to stay in bed as much as possible. I suddenly heard the doorbell. (BTW NO PHONE CALL. NO TEXT. NO EMAIL.) I think to myself "just a salesman. I'll ignore it." then the doorbell goes off like mad. I haul myself out of bed try to get some shorts on so I can get the door thinking it may be some kind of emergency. She then UNLOCKS THE DOOR using her key and screams *insert name here* "YOUR CAR IS IN THE DRIVEWAY I KNOW YOU'RE HERE". I scream back at her and tell her to get the fuck out and that I will be there in a second because I am on crutches. I show up at the door on crutches, with bandages still on my knee that still show blood coming through because its been less than 36 hours and the bandages haven't been changed, and I am out of breath. Ignoring literally all of that this complete and utter psycho starts yelling at me about how I haven't watered my flowerbed and that the flowers were dying. (middle of summer in Texas) She then starts yelling about me having "Anti-Christian" things in the yard. I was completely baffled and asked her what she was talking about until she pointed to my AC/DC sign I had hung from one of the pillars in front of the house. Yeah. You read that right. The psycho was beating down my door and then came into the house unannounced yelling at me because I had not been able to water the front flowerbed and because I had an AC/DC sign on one of the pillars. I told her in not so subtle terms that I had just had surgery and that I did not give a fuck if the flowers died. I also didn't give a shit about her feelings regarding my sign. I would replace the flowers if they died and I would sue her if she tried to get me to remove the sign.

Her response was to give me a lecture in a very calm "Karen" kind of way about answering the door in a reasonable amount of time and that I should "think of my neighbors and their kids" regarding my sign. Keep in mind this was literally just a flag that had the AC/DC "Back in Black" album art on it with the Angus Young Devil art on it. I told her to her face to go fuck herself. I said that it was my right to hang whatever the fuck I wanted on my front porch while I was here and that if she ever tried to come into the house unannounced like that again I would shred the lease and leave. (Visits by her were required to be announced at least 24hrs ahead of time) That was complete hell after that. She went by the letter of the lease from that point on and did her best to make me as miserable as possible. Fucking calls every other week. Inspections every 3 months.

Though after the first "inspection" I put a literal Pentagram made out of wood on the wall of my living room. She never said a word about it, but I saw her reaction the first time she saw it. It was fucking priceless lol

wreck-it-ralph-thank-you.gif

Last edited:

nush

She then UNLOCKS THE DOOR using her key and screams

1st thing I do with any rental apartment is to change the locks. Not just for the random landlord entry but also because it would be so easy for a former tenant to gain entry and steal my shit. They won't look suspicious because everyone is used to seeing them coming and going. Of course their fingerprints will already be all over that apartment.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
1st thing I do with any rental apartment is to change the locks. Not just for the random landlord entry but also because it would be so easy for a former tenant to gain entry and steal my shit. They won't look suspicious because everyone is used to seeing them coming and going. Of course their fingerprints will already be all over that apartment.
I had a buddy tell me to do that exact thing, but I told him "she gave me a bible when I moved in while driving a church van. I don't think I have to worry about her breaking in".

Never making that mistake again.

Top Bottom