• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer's 37 Essential Games of 2022 : GOTY is Elden Ring

These are outlets, you can have a personal list but this is just a joke.

Like, me personally, would not put ER in my top 5 (id have HFW and GOW in my top 3) - but if i was in charge of an outlet i would put it as #1. It's called credibility and respect, you pick based on it's impact on gaming as a medium and what a dev achieved, not a need to stick out and put games nobody gives af about.

I've played most of those indie games and most are okay to good, not GOTY convo worthy at all, objectively.

If you were in charge of an outlet and it’s your personal list, you should put things wherever you please and if you didn’t like ER, don’t rank it. But it’s different when this supposed group of people collectively ranked these no-name indies as they did. It’s traffic driver journalism and I don’t buy it for a second. I enjoy indies and especially when they do something unique and creative, but a consensus ranking them so highly is suspicious and I have a hard time believing it was genuine.

These are outlets, you can have a personal list but this is just a joke.

Like, me personally, would not put ER in my top 5 (id have HFW and GOW in my top 3) - but if i was in charge of an outlet i would put it as #1. It's called credibility and respect, you pick based on it's impact on gaming as a medium and what a dev achieved, not a need to stick out and put games nobody gives af about.

I've played most of those indie games and most are okay to good, not GOTY convo worthy at all, objectively.

But why? Game quality is 100% subjective, if you think Elden Ring wasn't top 5 you shouldn't put it as top 5, it's called credibility and respect. If you're just putting something high because other people think it's high you have no credibility. If I'm reading a review or top 10 list I'm expecting that person's (or group of people's) opinion, not just a bland retelling of what the "consensus" opinion is. People need to learn, in video games, in movies, in TV, in music, in art etc. There is NO DIFFERENCE between "favorite" and "best".

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Its not in my top 10 this year. Maybe not top 20.
92gpBzN.gif

Bragr

Banned
Original Sin has probably the most advanced system to handle elements where every combination is possible and useful in certain scenarios. You can make holy fire areas, combine water and fire to make steam then combine with electricity to make thunder clouds, etc.

And this comes on top of the also excellent class system, the myriad of ways you can handle each chapter, the branching storyline, etc.

This is the worst example you could find honestly.
It's the best example, that sort of complexity is just stat changes.

Bragr

Banned
Does that make it GOTY worthy?

Even if indie games used simple systems, there are a lot of factors that lead to player engagement.

I played Pentiment and Assassin's Creed Odeyssey this year. I liked them both but had a better time with Pentiment. Despite its simplistic design. It's possible.
I never said it makes it GOTY worthy, I am just saying people are underrating some of the depth and innovation in triple-A games, and overrating some of the gameplay in indie games.

I am not saying triple-A or indie is superior or that any game is better or worse, I am just saying you can't possibly bash triple-A for being generic and in the same breath say that Tunic is some fresh new game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But why? Game quality is 100% subjective, if you think Elden Ring wasn't top 5 you shouldn't put it as top 5, it's called credibility and respect. If you're just putting something high because other people think it's high you have no credibility. If I'm reading a review or top 10 list I'm expecting that person's (or group of people's) opinion, not just a bland retelling of what the "consensus" opinion is. People need to learn, in video games, in movies, in TV, in music, in art etc. There is NO DIFFERENCE between "favorite" and "best".
Yep. What he's suggesting is literally called Bandwagon-ing. A publication would lose all credibility if they gave an award just to follow other publications.

I can list dozens of issues I had with Elden Ring to keep it from being in the top spot. I'm sure professional critics like Eurogamer could come up with a few themselves. They didnt. They chose ER because they liked it. Or at least they majority of their editorial board liked it. Gamespot used to publish these discussions back in the day. A lot of times it came down to two games and they would be split in two groups until one group would make enough good points to nudge one game over the other.

Looking at this list, it's obvious that Elden Ring had no competition.

Top Bottom