• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Yes, Rocksteady is making a Suicide Squad game, WB Montreal is making Gotham Knights

I've heard that one particular phrase registered as a domain - "SuicideSquadKillTheJusticeLeague.com" - is a contender for the game's final title, and a good summation of what you can expect Rocksteady's next big project to be about.

Other domains registered include "SuicideSquadGame.com" and "GothamKnightsGame.com".

Gotham Knights refers to the unannounced Batman game currently in development at Batman Arkham Origins studio Warner Bros. Montreal.

Both projects are set to be teased at Warner Bros.' upcoming DC Fandome event in August, Eurogamer understands.

Besides the domain names that have recently popped up, we now have confirmation. Both next gen titles.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
200.gif

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The studio has the talent. I'm hopeful they are allowed to turn loose with their own vision because I don't expect the intellectual property overlords would do anything to make the game better.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Rocksteady's super duper secret project they've been working on all this time being Suicide Squad is a big fat "oh" from me.

But, shit, they make incredible games, I'll still get it day one simply because of their track record.

Can't wait to see Rocksteady's game, no matter what it is.

Don't really care about WB Montreal's though, because Origins was a pale imitation to the real thing.

Last edited:

Cravis

Maybe one day we will get some juicy information on what went down behind the scenes at Rocksteady. There’s no way they’ve spent 5 years on a suicide squad game. WB Montreal was said to be working on a suicide squad game that was cancelled.

Maybe one day we will get some juicy information on what went down behind the scenes at Rocksteady. There’s no way they’ve spent 5 years on a suicide squad game. WB Montreal was said to be working on a suicide squad game that was cancelled.
Maybe the word/rumors was mixed up between devs.

Rheon

Suicide Squad...?

iu

Granted, I'm basing this opinion on knowing nothing about SS save for the (atrocious) movie. I'll keep an open mind.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'll give them this; given that there's no one SS roster and that it can contain basically any Batman universe villains that Rocksteady want it to, there's a lot of potential.

There's no reason at all that Rocksteady's SS can't consist of Harley, Deadshot, Deathstroke, Croc, Freeze, Firefly...

Ristifer

Kinda surprised by this given the end of Arkham Origins. If anything, I would’ve assumed WB Montreal would’ve been working on a Suicide Squad game.

Not sure how good it’ll be, but I’ll give it a try.

WB doesnt know what the fuck they are doing with this IP anymore. They teased shit months ago then went totally radio silent. Where are the goddamn announcements?

Corpsepyre

Banned
It's weird that Eurogamer is saying we should expect only a tease from Rocksteady, and that the game is ways off. Wondering if there were cancelled projects these 5 years since Arkham Knight.

Valentino

Perhaps WB were working on Suicide Squad, but ended up giving the early “cancelled” work to Rocksteady. Maybe SS is more ambitious. Arkham Knight was very ambitious in terms of graphics and fidelity and scope. Can’t see how they can make Batman more ambitious. That’s why WB is making it. Teehee

MiguelItUp

Interesting! Honestly I wasn't suspecting a Suicide Squad related game at all, could be pretty cool. Hard to not associate anything SS related with the forgettable film that came out. Cautiously optimistic, haha. But, Gotham Knights? Down!

sinnergy

I hope the van turn suicide squad around . Rock steady should manage , but I rather would have seen another DC property , the flash , the green arrow or Superman.

As somebody who knows suicide squad only from the first movie, I'm not excited. But they have a good track record of making games so let's see what they got.

Suicide Squad? meh.

Gotham Knights? Also meh, what would be so hard about simply making a new Batman game separate from the Arkham continuity?

Give us Superman and Batman, not this B list shit.

I can only assume, if this rumor is true, they must have tried to make a Superman game but the character is simply unadaptable for a good video game, which is a shame.

WB Montreal was said to be working on a suicide squad game that was cancelled.

That would make sense given that there were references to Suicide Squad in Arkham Origins.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Embracing super hero games was one of the greatest achievements of the 2010s, Batman is iconic with gaming now.

Kokoloko85

Suicide squad? No thanks.

Batman game by another company not rocksteady and not called batman beyond. No thanks

Superman was the way

jakinov

I hope the Suicide Squad combat is a lot different from the Arkham games. I think the Arkham games are solid games but I get a lot more value watching the cool flashy cutscenes than the combat system. “Puzzles” also got a bit repetitive.

I don't doubt Rocksteady's ability to make a good Suicide Squad game but I'm in the camp who would have preferred a different IP.

Sygma

Shit I wanted either SS or the Dark Justice League, I'm happy. SS is such a fun ip, with the talent they got they could turn it into something really fucking cool to play. All the animated movies have been good lately.

Last edited:

Fbh

After years of rumors and speculation including Superman or Justice League, Suicide Squad would be really underwhelming. The IP does nothing for me.

Though I guess if it has coop it could be a fun game

Perrott

Gold Member
It's weird that Eurogamer is saying we should expect only a tease from Rocksteady, and that the game is ways off. Wondering if there were cancelled projects these 5 years since Arkham Knight.
Montreal was originally making a SS game, but then they shifted production to Rocksteady??
Considering they've been developing this for 5 years I think they know what they're doing
WB has wanted to make a Suicide Squad game for over a decade now, that's why in 2010 they created their WB Montreal studio with this purpose. Arkham Origins was conceived as a mean for the studio to staff up and prepare for the development of their Suicide Squad title which, by the time the Batman game released, has already been in preproduction for a while - that's why it was teased at the end of Origins.

Meanwhile, another group within WB Montreal pitched several Superman games to WB between 2014 and early 2015. None of those pitches were greenlighted by WB executives. Then in summer of 2015 - and while the Borderlands-esque Suicide Squad game continued production by a separate team - a Batman game starring Damian Wayne - sort of a sequel to Arkham Knight - was approved and entered development at the studio.

Around this time, Rocksteady just wrapped up Arkham Knight and the team split up in order to provide support to WB Montreal in the development of their Suicide Squad game and also work on Knight's season pass content, PSVR's launch title Arkham VR and their next big project: a Superman game - which they teased heavily across all of Arkham Knight.

Then in 2016 some major management shakeups started to happen at WB Montreal and late into the year, they cancelled Suicide Squad and postponed the reveal of Damian Wayne's Batman game - planned for that year's Game Awards ceremony. The game would be canned shortly after as the studio started to work on an entirely new Batman game, Gotham Knights, set in an entirely new continuity shared by all of the upcoming DC games.

2016 was a troublesome year for Rocksteady as well. Their Superman game would be cancelled and, given how they were working alongside WB Montreal on the Suicide Squad game, this is when they took over the project and fully revamped it into the next-gen Suicide Squad game that's being discussed in this very thread.

Not so long ago, a new Superman game was greenlighted at WB Montreal - although it seems to be in early stages compared to Gotham Knights or Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League. Thanks to the SSDs and the power of next-gen consoles, I think that this is the perfect time for the game to come out - so to all the Superman and DC fans out there, don't worry, the future looks pretty damn bright.

Top Bottom