• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Xbox Series X is the least console-feeling console I've had

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Just like the PS4 and iPhone and almost everything else sold to you...
This isn't exactly true with the PS4. You will start seeing ads when you head to the What's New section, but the main area of the UI doesn't have any ads (assuming you've turned off "featured content" in the options).

Imo ads should go away completely on both systems at least for PS+/Gold subscribers.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
This isn't exactly true with the PS4. You will start seeing ads when you head to the What's New section, but the main area of the UI doesn't have any ads (assuming you've turned off "featured content" in the options).

Depends, the store does still push tiles to the main UI for sales etc. They can be deleted though.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Depends, the store does still push tiles to the main UI for sales etc. They can be deleted though.
Yeah they've added it like last year, but it happened maybe 3-4 times with the biggest sales. Doesn't happen with each new sale and at least you can delete the tiles.

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah they've added it like last year, but it happened maybe 3-4 times with the biggest sales. Doesn't happen with each new sale and at least you can delete the tiles.

I actually had a weird bug with the one before christmas on the PS5, fucker kept coming back - system update fixed it though. Either way, I don't think it's a big deal. I've had one on the PS5 so far and I haven't noticed any tiles on the XSX as of yet. Seems like a daft thingk to get hung up on, especially with this:

Both MS and Sony had patents in 2013 about pushing ads into games and nothing has surfaced. I think it's just a small issue being magnified for the sake of console warring. The other stuff mentioned in the OP is kinda lame as well. The frame tearing is evident in Valhalla on PS5 - to a terrible extent as well but this was back when VRR was being hailed as a panacea. Reads like someone just trying to find things to be miserable about.

Calverz

Do PlayStation have an ad in their UI?

I'm not defending MS (or maybe even Sony), but as long as the ad isn't obtrusive in any way (I'm thinking YouTube levels that interrupt viewing), then what does it matter?

I don't even notice them as I quickly fire up a game/netflix 🤷‍♂️

Certainly nothing to get riled over.
Yes. “Whats new” on ps3. And now the activity cards on ps5 are a thinly veiled way of advertising. Of course most people dont realise this or will refuse to accept the truth.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Yes. “Whats new” on ps3. And now the activity cards on ps5 are a thinly veiled way of advertising. Of course most people dont realise this or will refuse to accept the truth.

Wow, that's quite a reach :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit: Just looked at your post history, now it makes more sense.

Last edited:

Genx3

You are paying for GamePass and you are paying for Xbox LIVE...
So what the ads are inobtrusive.
There are tons of things you pay for that have ads. Its nothing new. I used to buy magazines that were loaded with pages of ads. Never once complained.
People complaining about minor things like this are trolling.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So what the ads are inobtrusive.
There are tons of things you pay for that have ads. Its nothing new. I used to buy magazines that were loaded with pages of ads. Never once complained.
People complaining about minor things like this are trolling.
No they are not, but if you want to move the goalposts as if your mind is set... well fine keep at it (btw if those magazines were cheap and filled of ads I can almost understand, not otherwise).

Users complain about ads only being trolls and you not being disingenuous? If you say so :rolleyes:.

To me it looks like a UX where marketing had a lot of input/requested a lot more space on in order to acquire and then retain users which makes sense, but it shows the the angle they were coming from.
I find the OG Xbox, Xbox 360, PS4, and PS5 a lot less intrusive and more game centric.

Genx3

“I am not defending ads, I am only attacking the people who attack those ads”... BIG difference... :rolleyes:.
The fake outrage over an inobtrusive ad is annoying.
If it were something that was obtrusive then I would complain as well.

Maybe you can go in detail on how these ads ruin your experience.
Not one person complaining about the ads has gone into detail on how they ruin the experience.

Last edited:

Genx3

People will remember as soon as you outrage anything.
The only 2 things I was ever outraged about gaming wise was when MS forced Kinect in the box during the XB1 launch and because of it XB1's HW was sacrificed. The other was when MS tried to change the rules for ownership of physical media.
Those are things worth being outraged over.

Fake

The only 2 things I was ever outraged about gaming wise was when MS forced Kinect in the box during the XB1 launch and because of it XB1's HW was sacrificed. The other was when MS tried to change the rules for ownership of physical media.
Those are things worth being outraged over.

Now, imagine people saying you're freaking out and forced kinect is a fake outrage.

kuncol02

Banned
The only 2 things I was ever outraged about gaming wise was when MS forced Kinect in the box during the XB1 launch and because of it XB1's HW was sacrificed.
That wasn't because of it. XBox was as weak as it was because it was designed as 8gb RAM console from begging which forced them to use slower RAM and to counteract that they had to add ldRAM into APU and make weaker GPU. PS4 for comparision was at beggining designed as 4gb console and they upgraded that when GDDR5 prices dropped.

Genx3

That wasn't because of it. XBox was as weak as it was because it was designed as 8gb RAM console from begging which forced them to use slower RAM and to counteract that they had to add ldRAM into APU and make weaker GPU. PS4 for comparision was at beggining designed as 4gb console and they upgraded that when GDDR5 prices dropped.
I know this. If MS hadn't decided to put Kinect in the box they could have designed the original spec around faster ram instead of absolutely having to need 8 Gigs which forced MS to use DDR instead of GDDR ram.
Either way the box was weaker because MS decided to force Kinect into the box.

I know this. If MS hadn't decided to put Kinect in the box they could have designed the original spec around faster ram instead of absolutely having to need 8 Gigs which forced MS to use DDR instead of GDDR ram.
This was the reason I didn't buy an X1. Absolutely something to be outraged about especially when the effects of that decision persist to this very day.

kuncol02

Banned
It would still be 8gb console. They didn't choose that amount of ram because of Kinect.

Genx3

It would still be 8gb console. They didn't choose that amount of ram because of Kinect.
I remember before the launch the rumor was because of Kinect MS absolutely had to have a minimum of 8 GB of ram.
The only way to insure they could have 8GB's was for them to go with DDR3 Ram because GDDR would only have gotten them 4GB's (on budget) of Ram at that time.
Sony took a chance on 4 GB of GDDR and last minute there was a die shrink which allowed Sony to go with 8 GB's of GDDR.

kuncol02

Banned
I remember before the launch the rumor was because of Kinect MS absolutely had to have a minimum of 8 GB of ram.
The only way to insure they could have 8GB's was for them to go with DDR3 Ram because GDDR would only have gotten them 4GB's (on budget) of Ram at that time.
Sony took a chance on 4 GB of GDDR and last minute there was a die shrink which allowed Sony to go with 8 GB's of GDDR.
There were also rumors that they had to add ldRam because of Kinect and that forced them to use DD3 instead of GDDR.
Truth is easier. They knew from previous generation that RAM amount is supper important for games. If PS4 would launch with that 4gb it would be much worse for multiplatform games than XOne.

Genx3

Now, imagine people saying you're freaking out and forced kinect is a fake outrage.
How can you think these are close to comparable??
An inobtrusive ad that doesn't detract from the experience vs a whole gen of sub-standard multi-plats because the HW could barely give you a native image at 1080P which was the standard at the time.
These things are not comparable.

What are you even talking about? Your first post was about the ads and now your asking me to justify you having to pay $100 a month when that was never the point of the discussion...

Lmao the same company that gives online access to free to PC players and makes Xbox players pay $60 a year and still puts ads on their console. Trying to change the topic to gamepass to justify the ads lmao, talk about pathetic. Got any other excuses defender?

Honestly, I didn't even had to time to notice there's an "ad" on my coldboot/ front Dashboard. I believe there's only one dedicated little square window for an ad to appear?

When I boot up my S|X least of my concerns is some goddamn ad, I press A on a yellow big ass CyberPunk box icon and I murder that bish for the nxt hour or 2...you feel me?

It shouldn't bother you THAT much ?

Concern

Is there any jugde or council to tell whatever can be outrage or not?

If I remember right, a loads of people was seeing no problem about the forced kinect.

Yea that's why Xbox One sold so well. Everyone was pretty much bitching about kinect among other things except the cultist fanboys. Making things up to make a point thats doesn't exist, isn't the way.

Now what this has to do with ads is beyond me and seems like an even bigger reach.

Genx3

Is there any jugde or council to tell whatever can be outrage or not?

If I remember right, a loads of people was seeing no problem about the forced kinect.
So according to you, is there is no such thing as an over reaction?

IMO, minor things that have very little affect on quality and can easily be ignored are things that should not cause outrage.

Fake

So according to you, is there is no such thing as an over reaction?

IMO, minor things that have very little affect on quality and can easily be ignored are things that should not cause outrage.

What I can say is its not because you disagree that make the subject 'minor'. Not you or me can say whatever someone can be outrage or not. Keep that in my while trying to stay in our community.

If you disagree, tell about why and the points that make you disagree.

BTW I find curious about those kind of people that ignore some minor steps, but a not far future this became a huge problem. Many people ignored Nintendo raising their prices, until Sony and Microsoft saw and say 'hey, Nintendo can raise their price, so we can do as well, right?' and loads of threads whining about the Sony/Microsoft 'abusive' next gen price raise.

You don't have problem with ADs? So, maybe a not skip video AD while you're playing can be no problem, right?

Yea that's why Xbox One sold so well. Everyone was pretty much bitching about kinect among other things except the cultist fanboys. Making things up to make a point thats doesn't exist, isn't the way.

Now what this has to do with ads is beyond me and seems like an even bigger reach.

I guess people here have some problems with memory because before the NeoGaf split was LOAD of people defending the 'always online', 'forced kinect', etc...

Concern

What I can say is its not because you disagree that make the subject 'minor'. Not you or me can say whatever someone can be outrage or not. Keep that in my while trying to stay in our community.

If you disagree, tell about why and the points that make you disagree.

BTW I find curious about those kind of people that ignore some minor steps, but a not far future this became a huge problem. Many people ignored Nintendo raising their prices, until Sony and Microsoft saw and say 'hey, Nintendo can raise their price, so we can do as well, right?' and loads of threads whining about the Sony/Microsoft 'abusive' next gen price raise.

You don't have problem with ADs? So, maybe a not skip video AD while you're playing can be no problem, right?

I guess people here have some problems with memory because before the NeoGaf split was LOAD of people defending the 'always online', 'forced kinect', etc...

I was not on here for that much. Just lurked here and there. And it was mostly cboat anti ms threads/rumors and bishop banning pretty much anything pro Xbox. They were "astroturfers" whatever tf that's supposed to even mean.

Calverz

Ads on Ps5 are a great idea. Sony just keeps innovating. Ads on Xbox give you cancer.

pretty much this thread in a nutshell.

I don't even notice the shit more than half the time. But people need something new to cry about everyday 😉
Lol its more like this:

Ads on PS5: “really informative and keeps me up to date with whats happening. Lets me see whats on offer. Unobtrusive dont even notice it”

Ads on xbox: “this is disgraceful. Paying for xbl gold and gamepass and still need to have these obtrusive ads. Typical Microsoft trying to squeeze every penny out of fanbase.”

If things go as planned, MS could have more exclusives and better performing 3rd party games by the end of this year.

But this is MS so I doubt any of the above will actually happen .... 😄

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
It always amazes me how forgiving people are of ads and they seem to forget that advertisers want no space left unused and are always looking to expand. When is the last time you saw a city bus (or a park bench) that didn't look like a Nascar?

Last edited:

anothertech

It always amazes me how forgiving people are of ads and they seem to forget that advertisers want no space left unused and are always looking to expand. When is the last time you saw a city bus (or a park bench) that didn't look like a Nascar?
Microsoft knows exactly how many ads can fill the visual field before inducing seizures...

3f07a583-863f-465a-877a-faee5d7ffd36_screenshot.jpg

FritzJ92

No, look... I am deeply enjoying my XSX, but no... there is a lot more space dedicated to stuff from GamePass, stuff from the Marketplace, other general content ads, etc... way more than PS4 and I am not sure you own an iPhone if you say that...
Bro your justifying one based off of quantity... WTF?... both have advertisements on the UI... hell Sony will replace one of my game slots to advertise PSNow, or games or services to purchase... stop trying to justify any one of them...

FritzJ92

Imo ads should go away completely on both systems at least for PS+/Gold subscribers.
I have logged on my PS4 many times with screens advertising games to buy and services to sign up... the home screen...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Bro your justifying one based off of quantity... WTF?... both have advertisements on the UI... hell Sony will replace one of my game slots to advertise PSNow, or games or services to purchase... stop trying to justify any one of them...
Quantity of ads is annoying and yes I am making a point about that, sorry if it pushes your buttons mate.

Magog.

Banned
No idea why this thread is still being discussed but to me those things aren't what makes a console and a console and as a console player I want my console to be like a console not a PC. For me console gaming means exclusives that push the hardware to it's limits, interesting hardware features that distinguish it from a PC and a brand identity that creates a cohesive experience.

Top Bottom