• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Xbox Series X is the least console-feeling console I've had

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I can't tell where the author of the article stands with this console. They point out that the fact you can't hear it is some kind of negative and then says the controller is a step down from last generation because the back of it is slightly textured? What the fuck is going on here?
This article needs to be

UVMdoJs.gif

Bailed right about here:

The controller is the one thing that might actually be marginally worse than the Xbox One's equivalent, as the texture on the back is a tad rough. Good for weightlifters, guitarists and others in need of heavy duty hand exfoliation, less good for those who don't enjoy gripping cheesegraters with force.

How the fuck am I supposed to take this article seriously with that ^^^

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Has there been an in depth look at the UI? Sony's was pretty fire. Like to see what improvements Xbox has made.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Has there been an in depth look at the UI? Sony's was pretty fire. Like to see what improvements Xbox has made.
Mostly a refresh. I've been using it for a couple months on my 1X. Biggest difference is speed and fluidity. Some small aesthetic touches.

Edit: I didn't add my impressions. While they didn't reinvent the wheel, it's as fast as the old blades from OG 360 interface. Also really easy to get to what I'm looking for as it's more contextual. I have enjoyed the changes.

Last edited:

sn0man

Hope not. They put beers, cars and Felipe Neto on my Xbox 360 and I hated.
I assume there were ads on the Xbox 1 S/X dashboard all this generation as well. I went PS4 so I don't know. It's some shitty practice and Microsoft can't help themself. They act like a geocities website.

sn0man

I get ads on my PS4 pro too, always have plus subscription.
Ssshhh... no facts allowed. lol. I laugh at the over the top rhetoric by those spewing it on here when I was bombarded with slim jim ads on the PS4.

Just like those crying TV,TV,TV but mysteriously silent when Sony developed a tv series for the PS4.
Yeah I think Sony briefly had some ads on their home screen too. I think PS4 owners complained, and Sony provided an option to remove them.
Remove PS4 ads.

Sadly I am not aware of MS providing an option to remove their ads from any of their xboxes (xboxen?).

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I knew you were an XBOT, any time you champion a warrior falling in battle in the ban thread it's someone for team blue, you're never there to celebrate team green losing a warrior, but you play the impartial part anyways. Weird how a silly innocuous joke is all it takes for you to make it obvious with the ad homs.
I'm an Xbot now? You idiots need to make up your mind. I don't have the time or patience to "pick a side", so I don't bother with your Autism.

But for the record, I've laughed at plenty of hardcore Xbox fans getting banned, it's just that recently we've seen more Sony ones for some reason, not my fault 🤷‍♂️

You're the one consistently crying about console wars in the Meta thread, yet you seem to have a habit of unironically engaging in them.

And I was saying don't be dumb because you were going to end up getting reported for derailing the thread with console wars rhetoric.

Last edited:
I'm an Xbot now? You idiots need to make up your mind. I don't have the time or patience to "pick a side", so I don't bother with your Autism.

But for the record, I've laughed at plenty of hardcore Xbox fans getting banned, it's just that recently we've seen more Sony ones for some reason, not my fault 🤷‍♂️

You're the one consistently crying about console wars in the Meta thread, yet you seem to have a habit of unironically engaging in them.

And I was saying don't be dumb because you were going to end up getting reported for derailing the thread with console wars rhetoric.

I made a joke, not interested in derailing anything. Only person I responded to was someone joking back and you so far. Also edited my post hoping you hadn't seen it, I've been trying to be less "feisty" around here, I'd rather you didn't take what I said personally, it was heat of the moment and I wasn't in a good mood.

Last edited:
It's not exactly wrong. The launch lineups aren't exactly loaded with new games that could be considered killer apps.

It's 100% wrong. Deliberately wrong, at that. The only way he's right is if all of the PS5's first-party games get delayed past launch.

Acting like both consoles are in the same game-less launch predicament is denying reality. You'd have to willingly ignore every single data point to claim neither Spider-Man nor Demon's Souls have tremendous hype and excitement behind them. Heck, I think if Sackboy is great then that game will turn out to be significantly bigger than expected; possibly even bigger than Demon's Souls.

It's foolish to act like the Series X has a comparable launch lineup. It doesn't. So when a publication claims that the launch lineups are on the same level of suckage, that publication is full of shit.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I made a joke, not interested in derailing anything. Only person I responded to was someone joking back and you so far. Also edited my post hoping you hadn't seen it, I've been trying to be less "feisty" around here, I'd rather you didn't take what I said personally, it was heat of the moment and I wasn't in a good mood.
Oh I didn't take it personally, that's just my sense of humor xD.

No hard feelings, man.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
God I hate Eurogamer and pretty much all games journalism — I’d actually rather hear from an average GAF member than that SJW cult.

Anyway, a lot of these impressions sound strangely tilted, on both sides. I also think the Digital Foundry (who I like quite a bit in contrast) video sounded a little too uppity about Sony’s too-late, barebones UI showing today.

Or maybe I’m just a grumpy old fuck.

It's a ridiculous attempt at equivalence.

SX has probably the weakest launch line-up ever, the PS5 has one of the strongest. The SX doesn't have any big exclusives coming for about a year; in that time the PS5 has about 10 due out.

But somehow because the very biggest games for both consoles are a way out, they're effectively the same. What absolute horseshit.

100% agreed. In fact, given the chart performance of the previous Spider-Man game, barring a massive dropoff in quality, Miles Morales is on track to being the biggest launch game since God knows when.

No its really not. Its harmless. Do you freak out everytime you open gmail and theres an ad in the margins. People just like to bitch
I do? I hate ads so, so much. I use ad blockers on both my smartphone and PC. I really, really hate seeing ads and especially if I've bought something expensive. I already payed for it.

Maybe most people are fine; I'm really, really not.

AeneaGames

Yeah. Fuck having no privacy on a platform, a fucking ad should never be acceptable.

(both things are shit, but I know what I would pick between these options.

Is the XSX violating your privacy too? And why would you need to choose between 2 different bad things, demand them both gone! Hmm is the XSX violating privacy so they can target you the ads?

----------------

Also, I have no idea what this article is trying to do, be funny, say silly things, trying to be negative or positive. It's like they just didn't know anything real to say...

And that final bit throwing the PS5 in there too as having no games for the first 18 months is a downright lie. Xbox has none besides a few timed exclusive Indies, PS5 doesn't have a long list but at least has a few at launch. Plus next year many more will release like GoW2, Horizon 2, Kena, Stray, those two PS5 exclusive Bethesda games and more. With MS it actually takes 12 to 18 months before anything non multiplat releases

Last edited:

njean777

No its really not. Its harmless. Do you freak out everytime you open gmail and theres an ad in the margins. People just like to bitch

While Gmail is free, when you pay for Xbox Live Ultimate or Gold or whatever at this point, ads are not acceptable. Gmail is a free service so it comes with the territory, but if I pay for something I don't expect ads (when it comes to apps/services). I have an Xbox one and haven't been to bothered by the ads but I do think they are still unacceptable when I paid for Ultimate. It is just something that shouldn't be there, even if I don't ever click on them.

Last edited:

AeneaGames

Ssshhh... no facts allowed. lol. I laugh at the over the top rhetoric by those spewing it on here when I was bombarded with slim jim ads on the PS4.

Just like those crying TV,TV,TV but mysteriously silent when Sony developed a tv series for the PS4.

I never once seen an ad besides for PS Now in the past 6 years on my PS4...

Tho I would not be surprised if that might be region related

I'm optimistic about Xbox's future if they keep focusing on game pass and delivering quality content to keep subscribers but there isn't any defending ads on a 500 dollar console. It's asshole design. The kind of thing that makes me less optimistic for them.

Also, I have no idea what this article is trying to do, be funny, say silly things, trying to be negative or positive. It's like they just didn't know anything real to say...
He is just talking about his experience with the Series X.

And that final bit throwing the PS5 in there too as having no games for the first 18 months is a downright lie. Xbox has none besides a few timed exclusive Indies, PS5 doesn't have a long list but at least has a few at launch. Plus next year many more will release like GoW2, Horizon 2, Kena, Stray, those two PS5 exclusive Bethesda games and more. With MS it actually takes 12 to 18 months before anything non multiplat releases
"No tentpole games for the first 6 to 18 months."

Both consoles have a few exclusive games at launch, yes. This thread isn't really about comparing who has the stronger exclusive/launch lineup.

Last edited:
Its laughable that anyone would actually care that one tile has an ad on it. Like just don't look at or click on it
No, It's unacceptable. Especially on something paid for. Ads are cancer. I don't watch network TV because of ads and block any ad that might sneak through online. I've spent so long being ad free that I mentally associate ads with cheap scam sites. I'm really surprised at this tbh.

Vognerful

What ads are talking about here? Are we talking about games and pre orders? Because that is the only thing I get.

teezzy

Banned
The controller is the one thing that might actually be marginally worse than the Xbox One's equivalent, as the texture on the back is a tad rough. Good for weightlifters, guitarists and others in need of heavy duty hand exfoliation, less good for those who don't enjoy gripping cheesegraters with force.

I can't take this anything in this article seriously now. If the grip on the controller is anything like the one on my Sport Red controller, then this dude has pussy hands. Do some manual labor, then tell me your thoughts on new hardware please.

Tschumi

You know... You know there is no way that vent at the top isn't gonna collect a butt-ton of dust. I'm interested to see how accessible everything is for vacuuming..

MrFunSocks

Banned
This, its hilarious people pay $500 for the console then $60 a year for the privilege to play online and they still got ads on their screen. Microsoft got a dick in their ass and their mouth and they happily accepting it.
Checks avatar for Cerny, Kratos or PS5......

Check!

AeneaGames

No, It's unacceptable. Especially on something paid for. Ads are cancer. I don't watch network TV because of ads and block any ad that might sneak through online. I've spent so long being ad free that I mentally associate ads with cheap scam sites. I'm really surprised at this tbh.

The day you are being told that you only have a few more years left due to cancer you will feel ridiculously silly to have compared really minor things to it...

Top Bottom