• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer : Why Nintendo Switch games are ending up more expensive

Wighead

Neo Member
I wonder what is the impact of box size in pricing for retail games. Shouldn't the box size favor the Switch in pricing since its size is a lot smaller than xbox and ps4? Shipping cost should also be a lot less with less space and weight for the same amount shipped. Plastic is not free and for a lot of product packaging and shipping account for more than what people think in the price at retail.

Cuburt

Seems like more publishers have been opting for the more expensive physical version with the cheaper digital. Seems like a fair trade off due to the increased options of potential retail discounts and reselling with a physical copy that offset the additional costs added with producing physical games.

Hopefully it doesn't effect physical sales too much, but I think it's an arrangement that seems to logically make sense with less cost associated with digital releases and is something people have thought should happen as digital sales started becoming more of a thing but hadn't happened, at least on consoles.

I remember seeing people claim that Nintendo had a policy that required digital pricing to be the same as digital pricing on the eshop to not upset retail partners. That doesn't seem to be the case now if it was ever really the case in the past.

I actually saw this at retail, in Australia polarium (DS) was only 25 dollars for retailers to buy, while most others were starting 40.
From memory polarium was only like 4MB or something insanely tiny

TLZ

Banned
Seems like more publishers have been opting for the more expensive physical version with the cheaper digital. Seems like a fair trade off due to the increased options of potential retail discounts and reselling with a physical copy that offset the additional costs added with producing physical games.

Hopefully it doesn't effect physical sales too much, but I think it's an arrangement that seems to logically make sense with less cost associated with digital releases and is something people have thought should happen as digital sales started becoming more of a thing but hadn't happened, at least on consoles.

I remember seeing people claim that Nintendo had a policy that required digital pricing to be the same as digital pricing on the eshop to not upset retail partners. That doesn't seem to be the case now if it was ever really the case in the past.
Good spin.

Top Bottom