• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Sony plans to potentially offer Crunchyroll as part of a more expensive premium PlayStation Plus offering

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Sony's acquisition of anime-streaming service Crunchyroll is now complete, with the final price set at $1.175bn.
Today, Sony announced it had finally secured the service, its 5 million paying subscribers and more than 120 million registered users.
There are also plans to potentially offer Crunchyroll as part of a more expensive premium PlayStation Plus offering, Eurogamer understands.

ZPvrlpZ.jpg

AmuroChan

As long as it's a different tier that should be fine. Most PS+ users don't care about Crunchyroll. So the premium service is going to be for a very niche audience.

Banjo64

cumsessed
That's why they won't force it into the normal PS+ subscription from what Eurogamer is saying.
Apples and oranges. MS was forcing everyone to pay $100 more for the Kinect. Crunchyroll is an entirely optional service.
Waste of time and effort. I’d estimate less than 3% of PS Plus subscribers would pay extra for anime titties when it’s all free online.

sendit

Waste of time and effort. I’d estimate less than 3% of PS Plus subscribers would pay extra for anime titties when it’s all free online.

I'm going to go ahead and assume Sony is planning to combine PS Now/PS Plus/CrunchyRoll/most likely some other services in to a unified subscription. Something like Gamepass.

Bryank75

Banned

If they sort out the menus so I can see a wider selection of the anime, I'd pay the few euro more for the higher tier.

Netflix and Disney+ are so boring, I think an anime streaming service is just what I need.

I've only seen the first series of AOT and One Punch anyway..... loads I need to watch.

AmuroChan

You're right, but this doesn't cost them anything as they already own both services. I'm paying $7.99 a month for CR currently. So if there's a PS+ premium sub that includes CR and the price is less than what I pay for those two services today, I'm all for it.

Aenima

I would might actually start watching some anime series if it was ofered with a PS+ sub, but im not playing extra for that.

Great Hair

Banned
How many are subbed to PS+ and are in the "age, anime bracket" or give a fuck about terrible CGI made anime? Rising the price for this extra service makes no sense, especially when you can get it ...

Sony is clueless I say that the US and EU branch are morons of the highest caliber.
Sony is not going to roll in any streaming services to ps plus I have a JP psn account and sony sent out a servery in 2015-2016 for JP users asking what they would like in plus Rolling Aniplex into ps plus for JP users was a option and one that was up there along with continued support for free vita games. Not only did none of that stuff came to light the whole if you have plus you get into betas deal got scrapped as well.

And lets say this is actually legit or true 1 crunchyroll has been loosing subscribers for years now terrible servers, limited back logs of anime, missing eps, probably one of the lowest quality video play back features there is for watching anime. Almost all of the people I know who are into anime and plays games play games that dont require plus or just play genshin impact as there only multiple player title and play most fighting games and ff14 on pc so having plus is pointless and thats before we talk about how you cant buy a ps5 so most of them havent given sony a cent in 2 years and half.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Sony is clueless I say that the US and EU branch are morons of the highest caliber.
Sony is not going to roll in any streaming services to ps plus I have a JP psn account and sony sent out a servery in 2015-2016 for JP users asking what they would like in plus Rolling Aniplex into ps plus for JP users was a option and one that was up there along with continued support for free vita games. Not only did none of that stuff came to light the whole if you have plus you get into betas deal got scrapped as well.

And lets say this is actually legit or true 1 crunchyroll has been loosing subscribers for years now terrible servers, limited back logs of anime, missing eps, probably one of the lowest quality video play back features there is for watching anime. Almost all of the people I know who are into anime and plays games play games that dont require plus or just play genshin impact as there only multiple player title and play most fighting games and ff14 on pc so having plus is pointless and thats before we talk about how you cant buy a ps5 so most of them havent given sony a cent in 2 years and half.
So much bullshit. They just announced they hit a new subscriber milestone.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, 99% of people who own a console and pay for a subscription on it want to use it for video games.

And? They use it for other things as well.

"A chart from Statista based on Nielsen data reveals that for both the Xbox and PlayStation consoles, users are spending about half of their time every week doing something other than playing games. For the PlayStation, 20 percent are streaming TV shows or movies, with another 3 percent watching downloaded content. For Xbox, those numbers increase to 24 percent for streaming and 2 percent for downloaded content."

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/report-streaming-big-part-of-game-console-use

Either way, you still haven't made the case how this rumor reaches Mattrick levels of "tv tv tv".

ZehDon

So, paying more money for a higher tier of my first party gaming platform subscription service doesn't get me more games or game-related things for that platform, it gets me... anime?

Well, I guess they have to try and do something with their USD$1.7b acquisition...

Top Bottom