• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Project xCloud tested: has Microsoft really delivered a portable Xbox One?

ethomaz

Banned
I'm shocked these so telling "unlimited bandwidth" IPS filtering packages... I did not even predicted that before lol

"xCloud didn't work properly on my home fibre connection, despite meeting all of the requirements and then some. It turns out my ISP - Sky - was dropping up to two per cent of packets when the network was congested."

Image quality is utter crap (way lower than Stadia) but it is Beta.
The lag is atrocious compared with TVs set to game mode but it is Beta.

I can believe the other guy thread saying the xCloud lag is another level compared with already bad lag see in Stadia.

Last edited:
Same question I have for Stadia:

How well does it work on the go on a phone or tablet as you advertise streaming as 'convenience'?

Seriously, streaming is a way of removing your rights, ownership and control of your content. First, physical games were phased out using digital. The excuse then was "convenience! you don't have to get off of your fat arse to change a disc!". Now it's "convenience! you don't have to download that digital game and you can game on the go!"

Anyone who doesn't see that streaming is bad for the customer, lacks the mental faculties required to be a contributing member of society.

ethomaz

Banned
Same question I have for Stadia:

How well does it work on the go on a phone or tablet as you advertise streaming as 'convenience'?

Seriously, streaming is a way of removing your rights, ownership and control of your content. First, physical games were phased out using digital. The excuse then was "convenience! you don't have to get off of your fat arse to change a disc!". Now it's "convenience! you don't have to download that digital game and you can game on the go!"

Anyone who doesn't see that streaming is bad for the customer, lacks the mental faculties required to be a contributing member of society.
Gaming streaming are several steps back for the gaming industry and their consumers.
It is a way worst experience than what we have with local hardware today.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It works quite well for me via WiFi on my cell phone. IQ is really good, at least as far as I can tell on the small screen. The only issue I had was input lag.

MacReady13

It works quite well for me via WiFi on my cell phone. IQ is really good, at least as far as I can tell on the small screen. The only issue I had was input lag.

I couldn't care what the pic quality is like, but I NEED to be able to play with the smallest amount of lag possible. That is a HUGE hurdle for me. Streaming is nothing to me, but if Microsoft go down this path WHILST keeping consoles, that's ok for me so long as they reduce the lag. I just can't see the lag being reduced to be honest.

Lort

Banned
Pretty good results really!

Great to see a methodical test approach ...puts to rest any of those doubts the issue is xcloud .. when in fact the problem is crappy inconsistent Android phones.

Once the ios version is out you will see the best results on mobile.

Overall like predicted the lag is less than a tv without game mode on.

Almost exact same latency as stadia +50 ms ..

So as I predicted here on neogaf the minimum latency for a cloud game will be 100 ms ... so far the lowest latency recorded was 121ms by xcloud beating every stadia time so far recorded.

Lort

Banned
I couldn't care what the pic quality is like, but I NEED to be able to play with the smallest amount of lag possible. That is a HUGE hurdle for me. Streaming is nothing to me, but if Microsoft go down this path WHILST keeping consoles, that's ok for me so long as they reduce the lag. I just can't see the lag being reduced to be honest.

So you best be playing only ever on CRT then... #justsaying.

Bryank75

Banned
All streaming is trash and will always be, even as a supplementary or casual alternative, it will never be good enough. Money wasted on this, when it could be used to make new games and invest in new IP's.....

Instead they want to give us worse quality and disenfranchise us..... F that.

Endangered08

Neo Member
Works fine at home (where I would never need to use it because.... I'm at home) on a 600mb down connection.

Has sucked at hotels. Where I actually want to use it as I travel for work.

Pallas

All streaming is trash and will always be, even as a supplementary or casual alternative, it will never be good enough. Money wasted on this, when it could be used to make new games and invest in new IP's.....

Instead they want to give us worse quality and disenfranchise us..... F that.

Sure, it’s certainly in its infancy at the moment but let’s be realistic here, this is probably the future of gaming. Dedicated hardware is great and obviously will always be superior to streaming but as the infrastructure improves globally that separation the two are at will shrink. Dedicated hardware will eventually be seen too cost prohibitive, too cumbersome compared to streaming. I don’t think we are close to that point where the two are close enough for one to replace the other but it’s better to develop it now so that you are prepare in the future ...

Google went the entire 9 yards, and I hope they weren’t expecting a success right away because streaming only just can’t work reliably for most of not all right now, but a decade or more down the line, I can see it shaping up a lot better.

I'm shocked these so telling "unlimited bandwidth" IPS filtering packages... I did not even predicted that before lol

"xCloud didn't work properly on my home fibre connection, despite meeting all of the requirements and then some. It turns out my ISP - Sky - was dropping up to two per cent of packets when the network was congested."

I can believe the other guy thread saying the xCloud lag is another level compared with already bad lag see in Stadia.
The be fair, sky are a shit broadband provider and are frequently rated as one of the 3 worst in the UK(out of dozens).

JLB

Banned

Its beto

MacReady13

So you best be playing only ever on CRT then... #justsaying.

If I could, yes. But, most modern tv's have GAME mode, and for mine that is a respectable level of lag. These streaming services are NOT acceptable at all! On the weekend after watching a film on my One X (on VIVID mode) I had forgotten to flick the TV over to GAME mode. Instantly I could feel the controller had lag unsuitable to properly play the game (I was playing Tomb Raider). Lag is unacceptable NO MATTER the game you are playing!

Bryank75

Banned
Sure, it’s certainly in its infancy at the moment but let’s be realistic here, this is probably the future of gaming. Dedicated hardware is great and obviously will always be superior to streaming but as the infrastructure improves globally that separation the two are at will shrink. Dedicated hardware will eventually be seen too cost prohibitive, too cumbersome compared to streaming. I don’t think we are close to that point where the two are close enough for one to replace the other but it’s better to develop it now so that you are prepare in the future ...

Google went the entire 9 yards, and I hope they weren’t expecting a success right away because streaming only just can’t work reliably for most of not all right now, but a decade or more down the line, I can see it shaping up a lot better.

Nope, I have to disagree. After seeing the recent results from the testing done by all the outlets and websites.... streaming doesn't work properly even with the best internet. Gigabit or balanced connections, it doesn't matter, the thing is terrible and will never be up to scratch.

Sota4077

#1 xcloud is still in Beta so these comparisons are kinda lame. #2 even on beta with my Google WiFi mesh and a 120mb connection through my ISP I can play without any issue in my home. On mobile data is is unusable even at 4g LTE here in central Minnesota.

mckmas8808

Banned

???

beto.jpg

Elenchus

Banned
Foundation seems solid but it needs work.

Idea that you should quit because it’s challenging speaks volumes about the character (or lack thereof) of the individuals pushing that notion.

Anyone familiar with the early struggles of Xbox Live would understand the basic principle that every early failure is simply a lesson on how not to make a light bulb.

Online gaming on consoles had the same criticisms (variable connection quality etc) and (not surprisingly) the same cowardly critics from the same cowardly camp (who were all too happy to copy every aspect of Xbox Live after it was fully realized).

MS needs to ignore them now just as they did then. Find the problem. Solve the problem. Repeat.

Elenchus

Banned
Betas are typically for bug testing. The infrastructure is what it is. Streaming is still a good 20-30 years away unless the world switches to 5G/6G cell tower internet.

Doesn’t matter what betas are “typically” for. MS has been clear that “this” beta is to build the service based on the feedback of the community. You can participate in that process or just ignore it until it launches. Choose.

ZywyPL

Banned
So far so good I'd say, but all the streaming services clearly need 5G and Wifi AC to popularize to spread their wings.

Redlight

So, it works and the latency is comparable to the latency that millions of current console players experience (because they never use game mode). Sounds very promising.

bitbydeath

Doesn’t matter what betas are “typically” for. MS has been clear that “this” beta is to build the service based on the feedback of the community. You can participate in that process or just ignore it until it launches. Choose.

That has nothing to do with what I wrote.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
MS has been working on this shit for ages, and here comes Google rolling out a better product they announced less than a year ago. This is what I mean when I tell friends Microsoft isn’t a “winner“ company. Microsoft competes in pretty much every software industry vertical and in all of those they offer the “second best” solution. They don’t have the best product in any single category in which they compete and that is baked in their DNA.

Lort

Banned
I fucking love how xCloud looks and performs worse than Stadia yet people are more tolerant towards it. What have you done Google ? 🤣
Its got lower latency, more games, friends lists, larger playerbase, Stradia is generally running worse than an xbox one x ... and yet xcloud will soon be running on next gen xbox and be better in every single respect.

Last edited:

FranXico

I fucking love how xCloud looks and performs worse than Stadia yet people are more tolerant towards it. What have you done Google ? 🤣
The lag is comparable to that of Stadia, wouldn't call it worse. But yes, the reactions here were always going to be positive. Not surprised.

Foundation seems solid but it needs work.

Idea that you should quit because it’s challenging speaks volumes about the character (or lack thereof) of the individuals pushing that notion.

Anyone familiar with the early struggles of Xbox Live would understand the basic principle that every early failure is simply a lesson on how not to make a light bulb.

Online gaming on consoles had the same criticisms (variable connection quality etc) and (not surprisingly) the same cowardly critics from the same cowardly camp (who were all too happy to copy every aspect of Xbox Live after it was fully realized).

MS needs to ignore them now just as they did then. Find the problem. Solve the problem. Repeat.

The problem here is with the backbone of the internet. Everything is based on optical connections, and they cant just snap their fingers and make the speed of light faster

It will be interesting to see if they take a CDN approach and put clusters of Xcloud servers in POPs all over the place in order to reduce latency. It will work but is crazy expensive and requires a shit ton of upkeep

Top Bottom