• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer] People Can Fly details Outriders' expansive demo ahead of next week's launch

Available on Xbox, PlayStation and PC

jpg

Outriders' demo - People Can Fly emphasises it's a demo, rather than a beta, meaning it's completely free, doesn't require a pre-order or pre-purchase, and isn't limited-time - will launch for PlayStation 5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, and PC (via Steam & streaming with Nvidia GeForce Now) next Friday, 26th February, at 5pm in the UK.

Console owners will be looking at a minimum download of 22GB, while the PC demo weighs in at a slightly beefier 24GB, and once installed, players can access all four of Outriders' classes, which can be taken for a test run across its prologue and opening chapter - meaning gear and enemies will be early game variants, rather than their more exotic later-game counterparts.

People Can Fly says the demo - which includes cross-play co-op support, albeit in beta form - will continue as far as the showdown against first rival Altered, Gauss. However, defeating him will open up a number of side missions, providing incentive to go back and explore the world.

Notably, there's no time limit on the demo, meaning players can mess around in it for as long as they like, but there is a character level cap of 7 (far enough in to unlock two skill points and a class's fourth ability) so that players won't be massively over-powered if they opt to transfer their progress to the full game. There's also a cap on resources for a similar reason, although People Can Fly notes the associated crafting system won't be available in the demo.
Progress, incidentally, is only transferrable to the full Outriders experience on the same platform account, and those taking advantage of the Steam demo won't be able to move their progress to the Epic Store should they prefer to make a purchase there.

Lets Go Yes GIF by The Lonely Island

Love me some looters, can't wait to (edit) try the demo.....

---------------------------

edit

Really excited to play this demo, almost there.

3+ hours of gameplay, crossplay if you want it toggled on, progression carries over, all classes available, whole first chapter of the game playable

Last edited:

sainraja

Good to see that they are putting out a demo. I don't think I am ready to fully invest in another looter shooter right now (Destiny has me covered there and since it's a time commitment, so I think I will likely stay with Destiny for now.) But at least I get to try it out now.

Gediminas

Banned
Available on Xbox, PlayStation and PC

jpg

Lets Go Yes GIF by The Lonely Island

Love me some looters, can't wait to test out some build variety they have promised

tell me, how you gonna test those build variety with 2 skills points? :D when you need at least 13 :D and 8 powers to do it :D

Kupfer

Looking at this exaggerated everything I wish for a modern Army of Two.
I'd like a new Co-op game without fantasy/laser/magic/everything's blinking.

CitizenZ

Banned
Agreed.

Put many hours into Remnant. What an untapped about gem that game is.

I also dig People Can Fly...so excited that this could be good.

Both seem to follow same pattern, didn't know anything about this until 6 months prior to release, similar to how Remnant came out of nowhere. AND I like the model of no roadmap, no DLC their focus is on the released product. Finger crossed.

This really sounds pretty unique from a pro-consumer perspective. Are there any other games that hit so many generous features with their demos?

Free demo available to everyone without pre-ordering.
Demo doesn't sound like it will go away when the game is released.
There's no time limit in the demo.
All classes can be played.
Co-op can be played, including cross play.
You're not forced to start over if you buy the game, and can instead take all your progress with you into the full version.

Really excited to play this demo, almost there.

3+ hours of gameplay, crossplay if you want it toggled on, progression carries over, all classes available, whole first chapter of the game playable

Last edited:

GymWolf

Agreed.

Put many hours into Remnant. What an untapped about gem that game is.

I also dig People Can Fly...so excited that this could be good.
Is this made by the same devs who made remnant from the ashes? That one was fucking great and with better gunplay than a lot of full fledged triple A tps.

If the gunplay is on the same level we are in for a treat.

When is it coming?

The release time for the demo was revealed through an image on Twitter. The Outriders demo will be RELEASED AT 12 P.M. EASTERN ON FEBRUARY 25, 2021. The launch will be simultaneous across all regions and platforms, so you should have no problem downloading and playing it after that time.

cd2bf252-57c7-438c-b182-f0b6de1e23f4-euhu3-6xaaqr8wd.jpg

This really sounds pretty unique from a pro-consumer perspective. Are there any other games that hit so many generous features with their demos?

Free demo available to everyone without pre-ordering.
Demo doesn't sound like it will go away when the game is released.
There's no time limit in the demo.
All classes can be played.
Co-op can be played, including cross play.
You're not forced to start over if you buy the game, and can instead take all your progress with you into the full version.

Yeah, reminds me of the old days when demos like this were common.

3+ hours of gameplay, crossplay with ALL platforms if you want it toggled on, progression carries over, all classes available, whole first chapter of the game playable. Good stuff

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
cd2bf252-57c7-438c-b182-f0b6de1e23f4-euhu3-6xaaqr8wd.jpg

Yeah, reminds me of the old days when demos like this were common.

3+ hours of gameplay, crossplay with ALL platforms if you want it toggled on, progression carries over, all classes available, whole first chapter of the game playable. Good stuff

Yeah I somehow managed to miss the picture, I'll try to avoid scrolling eyes closed.Thank you anyway, I hope it'll be good but I'm not so sure.

Yeah I somehow managed to miss the picture, I'll try to avoid scrolling eyes closed.Thank you anyway, I hope it'll be good but I'm not so sure.

No worries bud, wasn't trying to be snarky or anything, was just posting the direct link from the article I was reading at the time. It is easy to miss that kind of stuff.

I know "looter shooter" turns people off after shit like Anthem but I have a good feeling about this. These people made Bulletstorm. Bulletstorm always has a warm place in my heart. The gameplay design (kill to heal, be aggressive, etc) seems pretty damn fun.

If the looting and RPG/ARPG mechanics and endgame content are done well, it should be a winner.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
No worries bud, wasn't trying to be snarky or anything, was just posting the direct link from the article I was reading at the time. It is easy to miss that kind of stuff.

I know "looter shooter" turns people off after shit like Anthem but I have a good feeling about this. These people made Bulletstorm. Bulletstorm always has a warm place in my heart. The gameplay design (kill to heal, be aggressive, etc) seems pretty damn fun.

If the looting and RPG/ARPG mechanics and endgame content are done well, it should be a winner.
Yeah don't worry, it was just a joke.
Even better not only did they make bulletstorm, but they also made Painkillers, I believe, which was awesome.
But what was shown so far seemed meh ...What gives me hope though is that Returnal trailers seemed awful but gameplays were awesome, I hope it'll be the same here.

Will it do any good to remind everyone that there will probably be server issues tomorrow, especially right when the demo goes live? Or is there just no stopping that train?

Played the PC demo for a little under 40 mins but spent most of the time trying to login or getting kicked out or watching the game slow down to a crawl. The game runs like fucking dogshit and is the worst performing demo I've ever played. I've got a 3080 running at 3440x1440 yet it's a slideshow once I got to the camp. It doesn't even look that good either. Character creator is uninspired but that's expected for this kind of game. Devs these days sure do love their undercuts for character creators. Shooting was nothing special at all but I only got to shoot in the tutorial before I got kicked out again. I really, really don't need a shooting tutorial for a third person shooter when it controls the same as 14 year old games. Pointless and annoying slow fade to black for dull dialogue scenes and voice acting that makes Destiny's characters sound like Oscar winners trying to one up each other. Uninstalled after it locked up. Not even that "broken mess" Cyberpunk 2077 locked up like this did. Hard pass for me.

Hope people looking forward to it enjoy the game.

Will it do any good to remind everyone that there will probably be server issues tomorrow, especially right when the demo goes live? Or is there just no stopping that train?

No excuses. They're charging full price for this and if the demo has this many server issues, the full game release will as well. I learned my lesson with launch Diablo 3. If your single player PVE only game requires online, you better make sure your servers are good. I've got too many other options these days so it's on the devs and publishers to sell me on their game.

MiguelItUp

Played the PC demo for a little under 40 mins but spent most of the time trying to login or getting kicked out or watching the game slow down to a crawl. The game runs like fucking dogshit and is the worst performing demo I've ever played. I've got a 3080 running at 3440x1440 yet it's a slideshow once I got to the camp. It doesn't even look that good either. Character creator is uninspired but that's expected for this kind of game. Devs these days sure do love their undercuts for character creators. Shooting was nothing special at all but I only got to shoot in the tutorial before I got kicked out again. I really, really don't need a shooting tutorial for a third person shooter when it controls the same as 14 year old games. Pointless and annoying slow fade to black for dull dialogue scenes and voice acting that makes Destiny's characters sound like Oscar winners trying to one up each other. Uninstalled after it locked up. Not even that "broken mess" Cyberpunk 2077 locked up like this did. Hard pass for me.

Hope people looking forward to it enjoy the game.

No excuses. They're charging full price for this and if the demo has this many server issues, the full game release will as well. I learned my lesson with launch Diablo 3. If your single player PVE only game requires online, you better make sure your servers are good. I've got too many other options these days so it's on the devs and publishers to sell me on their game.
Strange. Watching another buddy of mine stream it now with a i7-7700k and 1080ti maxed out and it hasn't dipped below 60FPS. Only issue he's run into was being booted around the time the demo opened to the public. Apparently people are still having issues getting in, and he's in it just fine, lol.

Regarding server issues, I don't think it's fair to say that's an excuse. People Can Fly have never really done another title like this. It's pretty ambitious for them. Well, and Square has limited experience. So, I think it's fair to expect online related issues. It's probably exactly why they're offering the demo at all. As always, demos are a great way for devs to pin point potential issues and engage in proper stress testing.

With Blizzard it was a sillier experience IMO since they had a ton of experience before D3's launch. But it still shat the bed, and hard.

I think it's fair to expect connection issues and limit expectations with all network driven titles day 1. Demos as well. If there are none or hardly any, great! Less disappointment, haha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom