• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo Switch's online N64 games have some issues.

Eurogamer

Are you telling me Nintendo did a half-assed job for which they're charging outlandish amounts of money? :messenger_open_mouth:

Mario Kart 64, for example, displays a warning that the game will not let you save Ghost Data - as this feature required an N64 Controller Pak in the original game.

Sin and Punishment is another game with an issue, this time with how the Switch version translates the original game's controls. Here, the strafe left and right actions were mapped to the yellow controller buttons in the original. In this emulated version, these are replicated on the Switch's face buttons in the diagram seen below. But, as the controller map shows, the Switch version also has you pressing the right trigger to shoot, which remaps the face buttons at the same time - removing the move right button in the process.

stranno

Controller Pack should be supported, otherwise I don't know how you will be able to save the game in Winback, for example.

Do the games have savestates?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not surprising. The N64 emulation on the Wii U wasn't even as good as the Wii. Joystick lag, colors are really muted. The games are still playable but not acceptable for a company of Nintendo's stature. - Some of the mini games in OOT are more or less impossible to beat because aiming is way too sluggish/touchy. It's not as responsive as it should be so aiming is a total chore at times.

Nintendo is really weird with their old games, you'd think they'd open the floodgates and have their back catalog be a main selling point. It's always an afterthought for them.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
Just a reminder that Nintendo actually had a fantastic virtual platform and now they're making you pay $50 for this crap.
Screen-Shot-2015-04-02-at-11.22.36-am.png

e4b0fc95c8be0c3e010c08b5cd28249d.jpg

nintendo-64-games-wii-u-virtual-console.jpg

Evg9hALWQAInVnn.jpg

stranno

The Wii U was a criminally overlooked console. I will keep mine forever, even though I lack the testicular fortitude to mod it and make it realize its full potential.
N64 emulation was ok, but Nintendo DS emulation was unbelievable. It is a shame that they only ported a bunch of games, when the emulator runs pretty much anything fine (aside DSi and DSi Enhanced games).

K' Dash

As a hardcore Nintendo fanboy, I'm glad I stayed away from this, I smelled the half cooked efforts a mile away, already got burned with Mario 3D All Stars.

93xfan

Banned
This keeps getting better and better. Nintendo was awesome for a good bit pre-COVID. Now they seem super greedy

Last edited:
I'll probably stick to the 3DS versions of Zelda to be honest.

The Wii U was a criminally overlooked console. I will keep mine forever, even though I lack the testicular fortitude to mod it and make it realize its full potential.

I ended up softmodding mine in a way so then it would boot Homebrew Channel through the browser exploit, otherwise the Wii U was as normal. All you need is some files on an SD card. No softmodded SD card inserted or exploit site visited means no mod files booted, so the Wii U isn't actually modded in a noticeable way and its super easy to do

Shut0wen

Eurogamer

Are you telling me Nintendo did a half-assed job for which they're charging outlandish amounts of money? :messenger_open_mouth:

Mario Kart 64, for example, displays a warning that the game will not let you save Ghost Data - as this feature required an N64 Controller Pak in the original game.

Sin and Punishment is another game with an issue, this time with how the Switch version translates the original game's controls. Here, the strafe left and right actions were mapped to the yellow controller buttons in the original. In this emulated version, these are replicated on the Switch's face buttons in the diagram seen below. But, as the controller map shows, the Switch version also has you pressing the right trigger to shoot, which remaps the face buttons at the same time - removing the move right button in the process.
Sin punishment issue can be resolved with changing the controls?

Saber

Gold Member
To surprise of no one, really.

Do you guys wanna make a bet about the quality of N64 controllers?

Just a reminder that Nintendo actually had a fantastic virtual platform and now they're making you pay $50 for this crap.
Screen-Shot-2015-04-02-at-11.22.36-am.png

e4b0fc95c8be0c3e010c08b5cd28249d.jpg

nintendo-64-games-wii-u-virtual-console.jpg

Evg9hALWQAInVnn.jpg
This. Glad I can still play a bunch of stuff on my WiiU.

Now if only Nintendo had some sort of way to link to your WiiU account and transfer your VC purchases over to the Switch….

Nah that’s crazy talk; it’s probably too hard.

Aranea

It's a shame this happened. I suppose i can skip this subscription service when i get around to buy a Switch next year.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Now if only Nintendo had some sort of way to link to your WiiU account and transfer your VC purchases over to the Switch….

Nah that’s crazy talk; it’s probably too hard.
You are talking about the guys that asked you to pay extra to play your Wii VC games on Wii U (not talking about the Wii mode on Wii U).

Top Bottom