• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Final Fantasy 16's exclusivity is a mess

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its amazing to me that people don't seem to grasp that if a retailer buys what amounts to billboard space to hype their product, they aren't going to give over any of it to advertise for their competitors! I mean c'mon, lets look at it for what it is!

oagboghi2

With Tomb raider it was very clearly communicated that it was a timed exclusive from day 1. Still a shorty practice, but Sony tried to make people think it was a true exclusive. Big difference
How is this any different?

Stop pretending to be offended. No one is lying to you. 😂

Elias

FF7R is a pretty huge success, not sure this will be a waste.

FF7re and FF16 were/are gonna be huge successful regardless of Sony paying so other platforms couldn't have access to the games. Especially in the case of FF7re, when everyone already had a PS4 by the time the game came out, so not like it was moving consoles.

There's no way they spent enough for FF exclusivity to purchase a studio of a magnitude that would make any game that came anywhere near the profitability of these games. That idea is laughable.

Also, E Elias maybe save the junior sales analyst crap for someone who gives a shit. SONY has been smart enough with their money on gaming side I doubt you know better than them on this shit.

kyoji

Sure it will that is money that could of went towards studio purchases.
just because they arent out buying whole publishers does not mean they arent growing, in fact there are at least 3 new studios we know about that are being cultivated organically. One of which in south east asia (something i hope they do more of) would love to see more asian 1st party studios in the mix with wws.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Sony have become a bit too greedy for my liking, they gained such huge ground last gen, but have no humility about it, they just want to wring that sponge as much as they can.

MilkyJoe

Or you know, instead of grasping straws where it’ll come out, why not get a PS5 instead because it’s coming out there for sure if you really want the game.

It's obviously about as exclusive as all the other PlayStation exclusives that turned out to be multiplatform

mejin

FF7re and FF16 were/are gonna be huge successful regardless of Sony paying so other platforms couldn't have access to the games. Especially in the case of FF7re, when everyone already had a PS4 by the time the game came out, so not like it was moving consoles.

But if you apply your own logic to PS5 hardware, Sony made a great move cause the new console will get a next gen version of FF7R first and will also get FFXVI in its first year in the market.

Remember Sony is always cultivating partnerships that can result in acquisition later and even if it is not the case with Square Enix, it could also mean the partnership is valid and lucrative for both. So, more games like those two FF could be coming.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Sony have become a bit too greedy for my liking, they gained such huge ground last gen, but have no humility about it, they just want to wring that sponge as much as they can.
I mean... Sony is a business not a charity, so what would you expect them to do?

Tschumi

"Final Fantasy XVI's exclusivity questioned by a hairdo" more accurate thread title. And it's not Eurogamer it's just another of those "I've been told" game journalists we usually tear to pieces in this forum

Last edited by a moderator:

Kokoloko85

Eurogamer trying to make a big deal out of it....
Not a big mess for me, I havent been this hyped to play a FF in a decade + looks amazing.
Finally a Final Fantasy setting I want and gameplay looks good

thelastword

Banned
Eurogamer trying to make a big deal out of it....
Not a big mess for me, I havent been this hyped to play a FF in a decade + looks amazing.
Finally a Final Fantasy setting I want and gameplay looks good
You should have been around when FF13 was better on PS3, Eurogamer and it's ilk went absolutely nuts, tried to tear Square a new one........FF7R is a massive success, so will FF16, it looks great too...

quest

Not Banned from OT
The acquisition of a studio, let's say Bluepoint, doesn't move hardware units early in the generation, unlike a timed exclusive of a heavily anticipated title such as Final Fantasy XVI.
They don't need help moving hardware. More first party studios are great for more real exclusives that take advantage of hardware.

They are definitely sending out lots of mixed messaging. Putting games on pc, hiding the fact that games are coming to pc, announcing games are coming to pc and then retracting it. It reeks of internal struggling where the left hand isn't talking to the right hand.

Now we have them employing Xbox 360 tactics of gobbling up a bunch of 3rd party exclusives, being purposely deceitful about what their exclusivity entails. And honestly it's just bad for the customer.

They are pretending to provide exclusive content, but in reality they are just paying to keep other players from playing games. Only the most delusional fucktards can't admit that they are acting like shit stains right now.

For all the clout their first party get, why do they need third party timed exclusivity on stuff like Deathloop? Dry years ahead for their first party I think. Especially since they announced GoW ragnarok as a title coming out next year. Sony reeks of desperation right now, doing everything they can to put up a facade that they weren't caught with their pants down.

Ff16 looks great.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

I HIGHLY doubt this exclusivity is not temporary. SE in the past years decided to release Final Fantasy everywhere.

I obviously could be wrong, but I bet both FFVIIR and FFXVI will go to PC and Xbox eventually.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Exactly

Square-Enix knows they have nothing to gain by going full exclusive in the long term.
Some people believe these companies care about brand loyalty, when all they care about is maximizing profit.

Short term: exclusive
Long term: multi-platform

That applies to all of their games. Heck, even Sony is planning to go that route.

How many games has Sony and Nintendo put on other consoles? How many has Xbox?

I HIGHLY doubt this exclusivity is not temporary. SE in the past years decided to release Final Fantasy everywhere.

I obviously could be wrong, but I bet both FFVIIR and FFXVI will go to PC and Xbox eventually.
As far as I remember PC gaming - aside from mobile domination - is on the rise in Japan.

FF might not necessary came to Xbox - after all it is not the popular in Japan for example - but if MS finally finalize their GDK and make porting to Xbox as simple as basically creating a port to PC - if you ported it to PC it will work on Xbox - it might get various PC games.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Sony fanboys (those who can only afford one console) are salty that Sony is getting shut out of Bethesda games in the future. Just as some MS fanboys are mad that there 'might' be a year exclusivity with FF16. Here's a hint: Save some money and buy both consoles.

Hudo

It's a timed exclusive. Sony could've invested that money into hiring some people for SIE Japan Studio and making their own JRPG or a Gravity Rush 3.

Kokoloko85

Who even mentioned other consoles?

Multi platform = game released on more than one platform

Death Stranding and Horizon have been released on PC.
Sony knows they can get more money on the long run by selling their games on PC as well.
They reward consumers that bought a PS5 on the short term (6/12+ months), and later release the game on PC.

Thats 2 games, I dont think that means there releasing everything on PC from 1st party or even close.

I mentioned other consoles so people can compare it.
Nintendo has releaed nothing on PC.
Sony has released 2
And Xbox releases most its game on PC and a few on other consoles. Minecraft, Ori etc

Allandor

I think they looked at FF7 sales and found that it’s profitable to be under Sony exclusivity.
Not this soon in a new console generation. How many units are there when in launches? 10-20m produced, maybe a year later a few million more. Exclusivity for a third party publisher is not profitable if they don't get the money from someone else. At least not for AAA titles, after the last mainline entry was a desaster for many fans.

Kokoloko85

That's called "testing waters"
After the first 6/12 months of exclusivity, sales numbers go down. To boost sales again, release at full price on PC.

I'm not trying to flame or troll here. I understand Sony wants to value their own console, not only for money but out of respect for their own consumers. But if there's extra money to be gained, they would be dumb to not go that route. This also helps reinforce their brand outside their own platform.

Yeah I agree, selling a few older games to make money is a good choice. Not 1st party exclusives straight away

Megatron

Sony fanboys (those who can only afford one console) are salty that Sony is getting shut out of Bethesda games in the future. Just as some MS fanboys are mad that there 'might' be a year exclusivity with FF16. Here's a hint: Save some money and buy both consoles.

I'm going to do that, but even still, I prefer to play games on my preferred console. If a game is a timed exclusive I don't really mind waiting.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Exclusives are bad unless it’s MS buying exclusivity or buying studios, or hell, buying whole publishers. Then it’s good because they are the good guys that are going to save gaming from those other assholes.

Last edited:

Nehezir

Banned
Exclusives are bad unless it’s MS buying exclusivity or buying studios, or hell, buying whole publishers. Then it’s good because they are the good guys that are going to save gaming from those other assholes.
nope. it's just a bad practice in general

quest

Not Banned from OT
I can count the number of people who complained about Sony buying insomniac on 0 fingers. Increasing first party studios is good.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Players will play the game when they can afford to. If they want to play it at launch those players are going to own the platform to do so. Exclusivity isn't a new practice....especially in the entertainment industry. TV Shows/Sporting Events/Movies all have exclusivity and I have a hard time understanding why people have an issue with this when it comes to games.

Dear 3rd Party Publishers, I will never buy any game for my XBox Series X from 3rd Party Publishers which has any kind of exclusive deals with Sony for the PlayStation 5.

This is a promise and thanks for your Attention :)

Top Bottom