• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Final Fantasy 16's exclusivity is a mess

The cognitive dissonance of Sony loyalists, when it transpires their favourite company is just as dishonest, underhanded and anti-consummer as what they've spent countless hours accusing their competition of being, is mind blowing.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Square just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFXVI for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.
Square, publicly apologize and announce FFXVI for Xbox Series X or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Nico_D

I don't understand what's the big deal with exclusives. Isn't the main thing that a game comes to the console or device you own so you are able to play it regardless of who else may get it?

Boss Mog

The game itself seems more of a mess than the exclusivity deal. The graphics look far worse than FF7 Remake, also slightly worse than FFXV. They look like a slightly better FFXIV. The trailer makes it seem like Naruto meets Game of Thrones. The combat seems worse than FF7R and FFXV too. That slight pause with every blow dealt makes the game look choppy for no reason, i understand maybe using that effect for a big blow, but using it for every hit looks like shit. Some of the enemy designs look like rejects from western RPGs.

I'm going to have to see a lot more before I can get on board with this one.

FranXico

The cognitive dissonance of Sony loyalists, when it transpires their favourite company is just as dishonest, underhanded and anti-consummer as what they've spent countless hours accusing their competition of being, is mind blowing.
"Sony loyalists" are not the ones accusing their favorite company's competition of being anti-consumer ad-nauseum since 2016.

Cognitive dissonance indeed.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Sony is intentionally misleading people to think games are more exclusive than they are, and that they were made just for the PS5 when they sure as hell weren't.

This kinda shit is why I don't like Sony, it's not even anything new they have a history of bullcrap.
I think it's only going to get worse too, Sony as an entity is incredible arrogant and I think that the success of this gen is going to make them worse and way more anti consumer next gen.
Sony fanboys are just lucky that Microsoft are being pro consumer ( for now ), they'll be the first to throw a tantrum if that changes and Microsoft decides to throw their money around.

I hate how difficult finding out what platforms some games are going to be on becomes because of this too.
Even with the new DMC special edition it was a pain in the ass to find out all of the info.

Last edited:
"Sony loyalists" are not the ones accusing their favorite companie's competition of being anti-consumer ad-nauseum since 2016.

All sides have accused their favourite company's competition of this, since way before 2016. Where have you been?

Timed exclusivity of third party games, with intentionally obfuscating mixed messages over whether it will ever release on other platforms and when, is just as anti-consummer now as it was when MS did it - but because it's Sony, it's ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrysisFreak

Banned
Don't really care as I'll play day one on PS5.
But yeah Square just tell us how much delay other platforms are going to have jeez.

GHG

Gold Member
Has Eurogamer said anything about Microsofts 20+ timed exclusives?

Or is it just that no one is really interested in those

The reality is not enough people give a shit about their recent timed exclusives do it's not worth writing an article about.

Ff XVI is a big deal.

Bryank75

Banned
That would be far too expensive, they'd have to pay for all the copies that would not be sold on PC + Xbox + Switch (if they ever had plans to put it on Switch that is). That's the main reason AAA 3rd party exclusives are pretty much dead nowadays. The only way it makes sense for Sony would be if they contracted SE to dev the game, but SE does not need any help funding their studios.
Hardly any copies of FF are sold on other platforms, just look at FFVIIR... massive sales without other platforms. The XBox crowd isn't interested, PC audience is tiny and the game won't run on Switch anyway. IMO

Inviusx

For the people who honestly care about exclusives, is it not enough that your console gets it first? Once you're done playing the game and its collecting dust in your draw why do you care that another platform gets it?

DJT123

Hardly any copies of FF are sold on other platforms, just look at FFVIIR... massive sales without other platforms. The XBox crowd isn't interested, PC audience is tiny and the game won't run on Switch anyway. IMO

PC audience is small for JRPGS, you mean?

Last edited:

DJT123

Are you saying Witcher 3 qualifies as a JRPG?
Witcher 3 doesn't even get into the top 10 GOTG on PS4.
I deleted that- I was referring to total audience compared to console. Btw, I agree w you to some extent about JRPGS on Steam. Persona 4 Golden did alright (nearly 1000-000 sales) but my fav recent JRPG Trails of Cold Steel 3 sold dismally. I wish people bought that instead of multiplayer crap.

"Witcher 3 doesn't even get into the top 10 GOTG on PS4. <-'Don't be silly, now!

Vaelka

Let ask you this.....Sony being "anti consumer" towards who? towards Xbox owners? Why would Sony even care about Xbox owners? Why should Nintendo care about Sony or Xbox owners? All them mostly going to care about their own costumers.

I don't play on Xbox, I exclusively play on PC altho I actually ordered a Switch yesterday because it has a lot of games I want to play ( and yes I wish Nintendo released games on PC too ).
I am not necessarily talking about exclusives here altho I do think they're anti consumer and I think it's silly to defend them and the greed of companies.
But moreso Sony's tactics, things like misleading marketing to make it seem like things are PS5 exclusive or things like exclusive content or timed exclusives.
It doesn't benefit people who play on PS, and it screws everyone else over or makes it really confusing for everyone else.
I honestly find that to be far more anti consumer than actual full on exclusives because it's basically Sony trying to fuck people on other platforms over rather than Sony straight up financing a game completely and hoarding it.

Sony obviously doesn't care about anyone else other than Sony, that's kinda my point tho and I think it's dumb to defend it. Sony doesn't care about its own playerbase either they only care about money and will try and '' force '' or even mislead people to buy their console if they can.
I mean ultimately I think that Microsoft don't really care either, if they had been on top they'd be acting the same I imagine it's better to act like the good guy when you're not.

But yes when Sony's practices makes things a pain in the ass for me as a PC player or makes it so that I get less content for games I pay the same money for then I will criticize Sony and get mad about it. I'd do the same with Microsoft.

Bryank75

Banned
I deleted that- I was referring to total audience compared to console. Btw, I agree w you to some extent about JRPGS on Steam. Persona 4 Golden did alright (nearly 1000-000 sales) but my fav recent JRPG Trails of Cold Steel 3 sold dismally. I wish people bought that instead of multiplayer crap.

"Witcher 3 doesn't even get into the top 10 GOTG on PS4. <-'Don't be silly, now!
IMO if it made it into top 10 it would be lower end, slightly ahead of Horizon but lower than GOW, BB, GOT, Persona 5R, FFVIIR, SOTC and personally enjoyed Death Stranding more than it too.
But a lot of that is just down to my taste.

I appreciate your honesty regarding JRPG's. Sure, we will see how it goes in the next few years.

sublimit

Banned
Sony is intentionally misleading people to think games are more exclusive than they are, and that they were made just for the PS5 when they sure as hell weren't.
Which is exactly the same thing MS also does. 😉 Anyone remembers the Rise of TR situation?

thelastword

Banned
It's a console exclusive. Sony does not have to say for how long, it's most probably coming to PC. Sony does not have to say when it will come to PC if it's day and date or later. Sony does not announce PC games or games for XBOX.

What did you want Sony to say? "It will come to XBOX in 1 year's time?" That's for Square to say or MS, not Sony...

If you like what you saw and want to play on Day1, you know what to do...

CrysisFreak

Banned
Yeah but mostly already on PS consoles. This won't get customers from Microsoft, just keep some at Sony
True. Should've probably spent that timed exclusive money on something rather inherently multiplat.
But whatever here goes 3 more years of Final Fantasy speculation and shitposting lmao

Whats confusing about it? It will only launch on PS5

If youre hanging on the hope that it comes to another system later, then that's your prerogative
Pretty simple to understand.

eurogamer trying to make a mountain out of a Mole hill because it isn’t launching on their beloved Xbox.

the game will come to pc and Xbox eventually. I figured that after watching the trailer once. Aren’t EG supposed to be experts, can’t they figure it out?

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

If you really want FF16, buy PS5, or wait to see if it ever appears anywhere else. It's clearly launching on one platform first. That much seems certain. So if you can wait, then wait. If you can't wait, get a PS5. Worst case with waiting is you end up buying a PS5 and getting the game discounted. The game will be the same whether you buy it at release, or months/years down the line. It doesn't seem like a big deal. You don't need to know everything right now. More information will be known sometime in the future, and you can make your decision at that point. The game isn't even coming out at launch anyway, so there's plenty of time. Chillax.

Birdo

Banned
They never said that FFVII Remake was timed exclusive until near launch.

There is no way a numbered FF will be exclusive to one console. It's not the 90's any more.

I don't remember Eurogamer complaining much with the much worse Tomb Raider Rise exclusivity:

About the vague exclusivity announced by MS, no questions asked, no complaints about the MS vague statements, and of course their subjective opinion (because MS never stated this) was completely wrong:
Does not appear to be timed.

When Phil was full of lies with his "deal with a duration", the author was completely neutral and OK with all the deceitful statements. Here they were simply regurgating MS disingenuous words most of the article, no questions asked, no criticism, nothing.

(deal) has a duration

Those 2 last articles were written by the same guys who wrote the article about FF16 being a mess, and the other with the cross-gen and messy pre-orders stuff (with the FUD about Demon's souls in the end).

FranXico

They never said that FFVII Remake was timed exclusive until near launch.

FFVII Remake reveal, E3 2015 (5 years before release).
final-fantasy-vii-remake-ps4-exclusive.jpg

thelastword

Banned
Pretty simple to understand.

eurogamer trying to make a mountain out of a Mole hill because it isn’t launching on their beloved Xbox.

the game will come to pc and Xbox eventually. I figured that after watching the trailer once. Aren’t EG supposed to be experts, can’t they figure it out?
I bet you if Phil announced FF exclusivity, they would understand just perfectly and write an article on how "Sony is in trouble because they lost FF"......This is huge, this is a gamechanger.....Yet Sony announces exclusivity and they have all become the children in the lazy class...

N30RYU

What is a MESS is MS not securing exclusivities like this one like sony is doing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom