• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - Final Fantasy 16's exclusivity is a mess

Whats confusing about it? It will only launch on PS5
If youre hanging on the hope that it comes to another system later, then that's your prerogative
I don't understand what the issue is here either. Isn't this standard operating procedure, especially when it's more than a 6 month exclusivity deal?

Antitype

They need to buy proper exclusivity... this timed exclusive stuff is annoying bullshit and makes people think other games will come to other consoles eventually too.

Clarity is valuable.

That would be far too expensive, they'd have to pay for all the copies that would not be sold on PC + Xbox + Switch (if they ever had plans to put it on Switch that is). That's the main reason AAA 3rd party exclusives are pretty much dead nowadays. The only way it makes sense for Sony would be if they contracted SE to dev the game, but SE does not need any help funding their studios.

Redlight

Some will be out here waiting for that remix, ultima, royal edition, episode complete edition, season finale edition lol

R Redlight agreed. I simply think they are grasping at straws trying to make story out of something that just isn't a real story... They are confused about information given to them literally on the trailer about a console exclusive, that tells you directly on the trailer its coming to PC? smfh. The fact that they can even make an article making the statements about this information literally disproves any fucking "confusion". Its like "show me more where it shows its coming to PC", but yet....they are confused yet can find all the information regarding this topic? Makes little sense.
I think PC players could've been mislead by the announcement and they article seems primarily aimed at those players. Could Eurogamer be accused of writing articles that are solely there to attract clicks? Probably, but that's a very different thing than being in the pocket of one manufacturer or the other.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Because you shouldn't need to buy a console for one game, especially a game that wasn't made or funded by that platform holder.

Well the PS5 will have other games of the same genre also.

All I’m saying is: if you’re a fan of FF and JRPGs, you know where to go where it’ll come out for sure (hint: not Xbox). PC is an option if you don’t mind waiting for a year or two.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I think PC players could've been mislead by the announcement and they article seems primarily aimed at those players. Could Eurogamer be accused of writing articles that are solely there to attract clicks? Probably, but that's a very different thing than being in the pocket of one manufacturer or the other.

Maybe. All I can see from that is PC players might have thought the release was day and date because it stated it was coming to PC, but that install base normally has to wait for release anyway. Overall, I don't think Eurogamer is in anyone's pocket, simply that they are trying to make a claim that just doesn't make much sense if they themselves are able to find the answer to those questions directly on the trailer, from Square, Sony etc.

ULTROS! ULTROS! Agreed 100%. It would be like attacking Atlus and Sega cause the Persona games normally come on Playstation or something. Why should they make a game on a platform that doesn't even normally sell well in that genre of a game that is already doesn't move tons of units? So when I hear someone say stuff like "shouldn't need to buy a console for one game" the developer should not need to put the game on 6 different fucking devices. Their job is getting a solid game out to a install base that will buy it, not bankrupt themselves and put themselves on thin ice cause someone wants all games on all systems.

That comes at a cost that I don't think many fully understand when they make these statements. As if by default all games will be on all systems or something. Do they think that Ubisoft, EA, Acitivsion, Take Two, Sega, Capcom etc all have fucking deals with Sony and MS not to put games on Nintendo systems that CAN'T FUCKING RUN or won't be bought by the install base?

So might as well chalk up "shouldn't need to buy a console for one game" with "shouldn't need work for food" and "shouldn't need to work to buy a house" and "shouldn't need to have a job for healthcare" and "shouldn't be in pain" etc.

It simply sounds like a empty fantasy wish that completely ignores reality.... So shit, I agree that "shouldn't need to buy a console for one game" JUST like I agree that no one should need to work... ie ,its nice to want things.

I also don't know why they ignored WHY a publisher might even put a game on limited systems. Its not SOLELY just Sony, MS or Nintendo doing something to even cause some of this. Do they just fucking think that Square is completely fine with a install base JUST giving them 18%? https://www.vg247.com/2019/02/03/ki...-the-most-successful-uk-launch-of-the-series/

So 18% may not be worth it for Square.... Sony, Nintendo nor MS need to convince them to make money, they might have made that choice to exclude MS after KH3 and FFXV sales.... For all we know they are porting all their major AAA titles after the fact to XB on a game by game basis and if MS pays for the port. 18% might just be too low for them to keep doing this shit on AAA titles.

Last edited:

Antitype

It's definitely coming to Xbox. That console might not be as popular when it comes to Japanese games, but AAA games still sale decently and FFXVI looks more like a western RPG/action hybrid anyway so I wouldn't be surprised if it does well on that platform. My gut feeling is that it will come on both PC and Xbox 1 year after PS5 and as a Royal edition of sort. All patched up and with some DLCs. I doubt they would bother release it solely on PC 6 months after.

wolffy71

Banned
So its totally up to SE if it comes to pc or other consoles? But... sony paid for 6 months exclusivity... for a game that MAY come to other platforms? Nah its coming to other platforms lol. Its clear as day.

I wouldnt be shocked of there was some sort of NDA about talk concerning other plats.

Mokus

So it's an exclusive of some sort. And the only other consoles where JRPGs really sell are the Nintendo ones. Since Switch is considerably weaker compared to the PS5, a port in the near future is very unlikely. Until then, does really matter this console exclusivity?

At least now we can see what to expect from Eurogamer after this and the previous "let's shit on PS5 launch" articles.

Halo0629

It's a final fantasy game and the series has been a multiplat for a long time, so it's most likely a timed exclusivity like ff7 remake. Eurogamer should calm down. Lo!

I don't understand what the issue is here either. Isn't this standard operating procedure, especially when it's more than a 6 month exclusivity deal?
I feel like it should be pretty obvious why trying to trick people into buying something by misrepresenting your product is an issue.

And is this standard operating procedure? The only game I can think of that MS money hatted was tomb raider, and I am pretty sure they readily admitted it was only a timed exclusive that was free to go to playstation after a year.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
After buying FF15 at release, who cares? It will be 6 months until it's worth playing anyway.
I would have been with you with other directors and developers but this will be made by the FF14 director and developers who has excellent track record. One could argue they are the best team SE has and the reason for the company not being in shambles.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Final fantasy is not what it used to be during the PS1 and PS2 era. I can wait

I dunno but FFVIIR was great. Imagine taking a small part of FFVII and thinking it’ll be incredibly lacking but they fleshed out Midgar to my liking and the characters I didn’t give a hoot about before.

93xfan

Banned
I dunno but FFVIIR was great. Imagine taking a small part of FFVII and thinking it’ll be incredibly lacking but they fleshed out Midgar to my liking and the characters I didn’t give a hoot about before.

I 100% agree with that. FF7R was amazing!! I guess I mean that I don’t feel a new entry is an instant must play, likeI would have said during the 7-12 days.

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Another misleading information from Sony ? What a surprise...

I think they looked at FF7 sales and found that it’s profitable to be under Sony exclusivity.

That + FF15 did like 690K on PS4 and 3.8K on Xbox when it launched in Japan. Unsure if Square expected the game to tank on Xbox, but those numbers were abysmal for a mainline FF-entry.

It's much easier for Square to take a check from Sony as they likely don't even expect FF16 to crush it on Xbox when it eventually launches there.

I feel like it should be pretty obvious why trying to trick people into buying something by misrepresenting your product is an issue.
And is this standard operating procedure? The only game I can think of that MS money hatted was tomb raider, and I am pretty sure they readily admitted it was only a timed exclusive that was free to go to playstation after a year.
No, Tomb Raider was not said to be time exclusive right out in the open. People had to dig to get that information. Crystal Dymanics was grilled on why this fact wasn't said upfront. Later Phil admitted that it wasn't an exclusive forever. Also, Cuphead was suppose to be an Xbox One Exclusive but then released on PS4 3 years later. Was I mad about Tomb Raider? Was I salty about Cuphead? Nah, I chose a platform to play on.

Trick? They're don't even try to hide the fact that they want you to buy their platform. They pay money so they can have these games on their platform first, or "exclusively," so people will buy their platform. How many times have we heard or read the term "Console Exclusive" at an E3 conference? Isn't XBox is the originator of the term "Console Exclusive" they pay for that wording, and that time, so people to buy their platform. Give them some time it'll be revealed how long the timed exclusivity will be for FF16.

Nehezir

Banned
Exclusivity has always been a cancer on the asscrack of the industry and I don't care what we have to sacrifice to kill it dead.

No, Tomb Raider was not said to be time exclusive right out in the open. People had to dig to get that information. Crystal Dymanics was grilled on why this fact wasn't said upfront. Later Phil admitted that it wasn't an exclusive forever. Also, Cuphead was suppose to be an Xbox One Exclusive but then released on PS4 3 years later. Was I mad about Tomb Raider? Was I salty about Cuphead? Nah, I chose a platform to play on.

Trick? They're don't even try to hide the fact that they want you to buy their platform. They pay money so they can have these games on their platform first, or "exclusively," so people will buy their platform. How many times have we heard or read the term "Console Exclusive" at an E3 conference? Isn't XBox is the originator of the term "Console Exclusive" they pay for that wording, and that time, so people to buy their platform. Give them some time it'll be revealed how long the timed exclusivity will be for FF16.

I just googled it. Tomb Raider was announced as a "launch exclusive" at gamescom, and when asked to clarify what "launch exclusive" meant Phil Spencer told Eurogamer it was a timed exclusive literally the next day. They never advertised it as a console exclusive. But even had they done that, two wrong do not make a right.

And yes trick. The only reason not to tell people the truth, is if you think they wouldn't buy your console if you were honest with them. AKA you are actively trying to rip them off. Honestly I don't understand the mental gymnastics trying to defend this, do you legitimately think companies trying to deceive consumers is a good thing?

I just googled it. Tomb Raider was announced as a "launch exclusive" at gamescom, and when asked to clarify what "launch exclusive" meant Phil Spencer told Eurogamer it was a timed exclusive literally the next day. They never advertised it as a console exclusive. But even had they done that, two wrong do not make a right.

And yes trick. The only reason not to tell people the truth, is if you think they wouldn't buy your console if you were honest with them. AKA you are actively trying to rip them off. Honestly I don't understand the mental gymnastics trying to defend this, do you legitimately think companies trying to deceive consumers is a good thing?
I also googled it. So who has better googling skills?!?! (you're probably better) Look man I don't give a shit. I don't. People get all worked up when it happens to them, but then are cool when it happens to someone else. Shit the shoe is on the other foot. It's a cycle. IT HAPPENS. It will all work out in the end. It will. It's not a bid deal. I've never felt tricked by either of these companies. They tell 1/2 truths that they know will hold up in court. I've never been that invested to be very mad at either of these companies.

Last edited:

Dlacy13g

This smells just like Tomb Raider and Xbox One deal all over again and Square once again is the common link in these anti consumer exclusivity deals.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It doesn’t exactly bother me. I fell in love with the series on a PS console. I don’t exactly see a ton of FF7R hype after it’s already been out. I wonder who is still waiting for it? A lot of good games get played right when it comes out or a month or so down the road. Sony has what they wanted from this whole thing. Square hasn’t said a peep about 7R on other platforms and if you wanted that game- you probably played it already. I remember the E3 when XIII was announced for 360. I had imported it for PS3 and got to finish it before it came to the states.

Honestly, even if it did come out elsewhere. Chances are, you’ll find a console to play it on. The magic in these games is the hype built on launch. Sad in some ways. The older games are definitely worth replaying years later. The new stuff like XIII and onward is really up to the player. I don’t get an ounce of why it’s such an issue. Death Stranding and Horizon had its major fan base playing it before PC because they knew what console it was coming out on. I may sound one sided, but it’s how I feel about it.

Pejo

If there's one thing you've had to learn as a PC gamer, it's how to be patient. I still have faith that FFVII remake will come to PC, as well as a few PS4 exclusives like (hopefully) Boodborne, GoT, and Days Gone. I'm still a little surprised we haven't seen Kingdom Hearts pop up on PC in any real capacity yet.

Anyway, I'll be getting a PS5 as a gift, but I'm still waiting to see how the exclusivity stuff shapes up for next gen. In the meantime I'll buy R&C and Demon's Souls and just see what transpires for the rest. I think Eurogamer has a point though, that it'd be really nice if these companies would fully announce their intentions at the beginning. They're trying to milk double dippers right now, and I fall into that block and it kinda pisses me off.

FranXico

As usual, Eurogamer is whining about nothing, and they have not paid attention. The following is patently false.

From the trailer that launched at the same time as the livestream.

YsVnMTK.jpg

And this dude also doesn't know what he's talking about.

No official confirmation my ass. This is straight from Sony's livestream. As usual, analysts don't know squat, and those that cite them in articles like they knew something, don't know basic journalism.

UvE19Rg.jpg
They know exactly what they are doing. They love generating bad press for Sony, and will not hesitate to post bullshit towards that end if need be. The Eurogamer staff has been console warrying for Xbox for years.

cireza

Banned
This might be shitty thing to say but this exactly the reason why I can't ever see myself buying Xbox. Its fucking coin toss in what games it might get and not get. As messy this whole FFXVI exclusivity announcement was, I was still 100% sure it was coming to Playstation.
That's exactly what Sony want you to do. So you can keep throwing money at them and validate their shitty practices.

Megatron

Sony is intentionally misleading people to think games are more exclusive than they are, and that they were made just for the PS5 when they sure as hell weren't.
Yep. The hilarious things is Sony fans lost their minds when MS did the same thing with Tomb Raider. The backlash was so bad that MS is now crystal clear on exclusivity. But now Sony does this repeatedly and their fans have no problem when their team does it.

CAB_Life

Why are we even debating that this will come to other platforms at this point given the history of the FF franchise since XIII and SE’s lust for multi-platform money? It’s also not financially viable to produce 3rd party exclusives anymore—almost no one does it, especially not companies as large and loss-averse as SE. This seems like a foolish argument to have. Discussing the necessity or patience or platform choice until that time is another matter, but we have to acknowledge reality first.

We also need to be taking Sony to task for all their obfuscation and double-speak lately. These are all mutually exclusive and valid opinions to hold.

Porcile

Unless third party console games are money-hatted out the arse then full exclusivity is basically impossible in this day and age when it comes to AAA games. Seems like the only way to full exclusivity is to outright own the IP.

CAB_Life

What obfuscation? The trailer says it's timed at the end.

Honestly now, I’m not here to argue, but there’s pages of nonsense spouted from Jim lately that we don’t need to recap. Stuff not specific to this title but to the subject of “exclusivity“—generational or platform—as a whole. I honestly don’t get this fervent need for people to leap to a company’s defence over sketchy or misleading marketing.

It’s literal obfuscation if you damned well know what platforms it’s coming to, and when, but refuse to say due to marketing deals. And this is endemic to the industry, too.

FranXico

Honestly now, I’m not here to argue, but there’s pages of nonsense spouted from Jim lately that we don’t need to recap. Stuff not specific to this title but to the subject of “exclusivity“—generational or platform—as a whole. I honestly don’t get this fervent need for people to leap to a company’s defence over sketchy or misleading marketing.

It’s literal obfuscation if you damned well know what platforms it’s coming to, and when, but refuse to say due to marketing deals. And this is endemic to the industry, too.
Jim spouting crap in interviews is another issue, friend. The whole "exclusivity" thing is going to gradually die away if manufacturers focus on first party content more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom