• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EternalRocks - 'Doomsday' worm uses seven NSA exploits (WannaCry used two)

patientx

According to experts, at the moment it is "just" spreading but one cannot know when they'll activate it to do something bad.

The recently discovered EternalRocks joins a set of highly infectious bugs created from the NSA's leaked tools.

If the NSA's leaked hacking tools had a Voltron, it would be EternalRocks.

On Sunday, researchers confirmed new malware, named EternalRocks, that uses seven exploits first discovered by the National Security Agency and leaked in April by the Shadow Brokers group. Experts described the malware as a "doomsday" worm that could strike suddenly.

EternalRocks uses EternalBlue, DoublePulsar, EternalChampion, EternalRomance, EternalSynergy, ArchiTouch and SMBTouch -- all tools leaked by the Shadow Brokers. Stampar said he found the packed hack after it infected his honeypot, a trap set to monitor incoming malware.

Article at CNET here.

Spectone

Doesn't matter if they have patches/updates if people still rock their Windows XP with SP1 on it...

WannaCry mainly hit Windows 7 targets not XP.

I see this new worm is also using SMB exploits so only those who have SMB exposed to the internet will be affected. if you have a firewall between you and the internet and you don't forward SMB across that link you should not be affected.

Damaniel

Banned
Two auto-play videos on the same page? Really, CNET?

CNET is a steaming pile and has been for years.

Also, death to autoplay videos. Who the hell thought that was even remotely a good idea?

And finally, back to the story at hand. Patch your PCs and servers, folks!

Kerensky

Banned
Now that they've found it, though, can't they address it, or is that being too simplistic?

Eternalblue was fixed by not forwarding port 445 and allowing infected machines to conect to your lan in the first place.

Why does SMB run as a kernel module again?

Kthulhu

Fuck the NSA. I don't know how anyone can defend them anymore. Hopefully MS can patch all of this before anyone gets hurt.

Mugsy

EternalRocks uses EternalBlue, DoublePulsar, EternalChampion, EternalRomance, EternalSynergy, ArchiTouch and SMBTouch -- all tools leaked by the Shadow Brokers.

That has to be the most cyberpunk thing I have ever read.

jstripes

Banned
WannaCry mainly hit Windows 7 targets not XP.

I see this new worm is also using SMB exploits so only those who have SMB exposed to the internet will be affected. if you have a firewall between you and the internet and you don't forward SMB across that link you should not be affected.

All it takes is one bozo in your organization to open an infected PDF.

Disable SMB1, if you can. (I'm working on it.)

chekhonte

Does the NSA work with anti virus people and provide information about identifying and removing this kind of garbage?

Does the NSA work with anti virus people and provide information about identifying and removing this kind of garbage?

LOL no. The NSA does not want any of those exploits fixed, they want them all for themselves so they can do their shady business. As soon as they become public (and thus fixed), they are worth a lot less to them. Apparently the NSA had the EternalBlue exploit for three years before it was leaked.

I wonder if it's some grey hat's way of getting these exploits fixed?

That would be a weird way to get the exploits fixed but you never know.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hahaha oh man. That would be a hell no unless shit has reaaally hit the fans and collaboration is the only option of containment. In that case, MAYBE.

Top Bottom