• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

eSports Pro hits out at Call of Duty skill based match making

Forsythia

So the guy is essentially whining that he has to lose some matches or sweat his ass off. Well guess what, most of us do that. A guy like him ruins the game for everyone without SBMM. I have no sympathy.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I agree with him though I own cod and it's extremely annoying to be constantly in sweaty lobbies.

For those that don't know when you join with friends the SBMM puts me in with players that are the same skill as my friends. I'm not as good as my friends no were near as good so I'm getting railed most games. Sure you can say get good but fuck off with that shit I work 12+ hour shifts I just want to come home and play games with friends not feel like I'm in an e-sport competition.

Just go back to ranked and unranked lobbies it made far more sense

Last edited:
I always hated SBMM and wanted to match my skill against the general population, rather than just players on my "level".
I also hate suppressor attachments and the lack of red dots on the map in Modern Warfare. The rest of the game is great though.

Allforce

I guess my question is as someone who's played this game since launch and remains completely average is, how do you even tell the difference between a "casual" and "sweaty" game? Just the fact that some other player has better stats than you?

There's lots of talk of "jumping on and having to sweat just to play" but what does that even mean and how can you tell? Sometimes I jump on and go 18/5, sometimes I go 6/16, more often than not I end up 19/19. I don't notice any difference in the actual game, I'm still running around shooting people and getting shot so what constitutes "sweaty" play? Is it people ignoring the objective? People actually PLAYING the objective? Players doing advanced stuff like jump-shotting around corners? Quick-scoping? The definition of "sweaty" is never defined by the people complaining about SBMM other than "I don't do well in certain matches"

This just seems like an issue to the top 0.01% of COD players who are amazing and just want every game to be a highlight reel with them at the top. When I run into someone going 59-1 in one of my games and everyone else is 1.0 K/D I just report them because I assume they're cheating lol. Maybe they're truly amazing and THAT is the SBMM but I've been conditioned by the COD community at this point to assume the worst.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I agree with him though I own cod and it's extremely annoying to be constantly in sweaty lobbies.

For those that don't know when you join with friends the SBMM puts me in with players that are the same skill as my friends. I'm not as good as my friends no were near as good so I'm getting railed most games. Sure you can say get good but fuck off with that shit I work 12+ hour shifts I just want to come home and play games with friends not feel like I'm in an e-sport competition.

Just go back to ranked and unranked lobbies it made far more sense
But isn't that the point some are making? People do not want to be matched with people that have a much greater skill? So, because you play with higher skilled friends and get outmatched you want those same high skilled players tossed in with everyone else? Wouldn't that bring your frustrations to more people?

nani17

are in a big trouble
But isn't that the point some are making? People do not want to be matched with people that have a much greater skill? So, because you play with higher skilled friends and get outmatched you want those same high skilled players tossed in with everyone else? Wouldn't that bring your frustrations to more people?

And that's the reason it's annoying. Their used to be ranked and unranked modes. If you feel like playing a sweaty e-sport mode than you play ranked but cod isn't causal anymore which it always has been for like 15 plus cod games.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And that's the reason it's annoying. Their used to be ranked and unranked modes. If you feel like playing a sweaty e-sport mode than you play ranked but cod isn't causal anymore which it always has been for like 15 plus cod games.
A game that funnels to one algorithm of matchmaking cuts down on costs and doesn't splinter the fan based into different lobbies.

I can understand a low budget game with a small online community needing to group together to keep everyone together, but when you got 20 million COD gamers, there's enough people to fill all modes, ranked and unranked.

Another reason why one mode like SBMM is used is to entice people to buy microtrans in hopes spending $5 here and there on gear or perks in videogames makes them boost better so they can rise above.

But even if that works temporarily, it 'll just sunk them into a higher tier and then rinse and repeat.

No wonder microtrans and EA Sports ultimate packs sell so well. Everyone feels in parity position so you spend to get an edge, but eventually just get placed in another parity position.

Are the casual playlists in Cold War skill based as well? I've only played zombies up until this point and can't check for a few more hours.

I’m no big cod fan but lol at thinking fart nite is good
I'm no fan of it's aesthetics or microtransactions but fortnite takes far more skill than call of duty. COD is at the very botom of the barrel when it comes to fps games and skill cap.

Last edited:

nyr88nyg

Banned
I'm no fan of it's aesthetics or microtransactions but fortnite takes far more skill than call of duty. COD is at the very botom of the barrel when it comes to fps games and skill cap.
After learning how to micro build what is difficult about fort nite? Takes a ton of time to get good just like similar games.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This, Abner felt, wasn't normal. He should know: he's a world champion, he spends dozens of hours every week playing against the best in the world
And yet moans about being put in match's with good player's 🤔

PSYGN

As a CoD player since CoD 2 I can sorta relate to how he feels. If you've played older CoD games it was always addicting to try and beat your own kill record or get a MOAB (even though at that point it's all based on luck and how shitty the players are in your lobby)... it's a very casual game with very little skill depth. Put yourself in other lobbies of players around your skill and that becomes very apparent as it becomes more about luck at not getting shot in your back as everyone is soundwhoring, headglitching, dropshotting, jumpshotting... I get to be fed my own poison. Everyone just ends up canceling each other out and the addictive parts of the game like killstreaks become more about luck than anything.

But I don't cry about it, I know SBMM makes newcomers and super casuals to the series have a more enjoyable time with the game. I've moved on to other games with SBMM that actually have a skill depth thicker than a piece of pancake and allows you a chance to outplay your enemies versus shoot first die first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom