• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[ESPN] Cleveland changing name from Indians to Guardians

Guardians?

• Yes

Votes: 23 20.0%
  • Nah

Votes: 92 80.0%

• Total voters

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
How is Indians racist? 'Redskins' is but 'Indians' is the name of a proud group of people. Seems like an honor. Just as 'Chiefs' is a title. No different if a team was call the 'Presidents'. In fact there was a band called 'Presidents of the United States of America'. No one thought that was inappropriate.

Catphish

I would have gone with something like the Cleveland Natives, and used some kind of local native iconography as not only logo, but homage.

but what do I know

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Guardians sounds like a minor league name.

If they want to change from Indians, fine. Whatever. I just hate this trend of new names for sports teams being overthought XFL tier garbage.

Just pick an animal
The Cleveland Blob Fishes
UljYOzb.jpg

RAÏSanÏa

Clumsy rhyme.

Could have tried naming after another group of people. Cleveland Libyans.

Cleveland Euclideans is my choice because baseball makes me think geometry and just to make it plural.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
How is Indians racist? 'Redskins' is but 'Indians' is the name of a proud group of people. Seems like an honor. Just as 'Chiefs' is a title. No different if a team was call the 'Presidents'. In fact there was a band called 'Presidents of the United States of America'. No one thought that was inappropriate.
Because that old cartoony mascot was the focal point. Even when they got rid of the mascot and changed the logo to a boring C, nobody ever forgave them or treated that as enough to keep the Indians name.

So you got to go full out and change everything.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
idk why they changed it at all. Just get rid of Chief Wahoo, take him off all the merch and keep the name. I think they still use him on some of their alternates.
I think a brand refresh might be good to wash away the stink associated with the city. I think going even further and naming it after a part of the world that is a step-up from Cleveland. The Cleveland Argentinians, for example.

Last edited:
I would have gone with something like the Cleveland Natives, and used some kind of local native iconography as not only logo, but homage.

but what do I know
Well that apparently violates whatever naming ethics the Inidians did. It’s not the name so much as it is people don’t think any ethnicity or race or reference to it should be a mascot.

BTW that Caucasians logo is dope. I would 100% back it. I’m not sure why whoever made this would think it offends white folks? It’s rad.

And then you’d have people who would be pissed that jt unfairly highlights a race, when clearly it was meant as a snide retort. You just can’t win.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Indians isnt offensive but then again I am not Indian. or Native. Or whatever is the appropriate term nowadays. Did they even consult any native americans over this? No one gives a shit about the Cleveland indians outside of cleveland. Who made a big deal about this?

I think Guardians is a bad name but I dont think 50 years from now anyone will care. We have teams that are named Mariners, Bleujays, Marlins and Rays. This isnt any worse.

StormCell

Indians isnt offensive but then again I am not Indian. or Native. Or whatever is the appropriate term nowadays. Did they even consult any native americans over this? No one gives a shit about the Cleveland indians outside of cleveland. Who made a big deal about this?

I think Guardians is a bad name but I dont think 50 years from now anyone will care. We have teams that are named Mariners, Bleujays, Marlins and Rays. This isnt any worse.
Oh, you know good and well there were some uptight social justice people in some of the tribes, mostly native studies professors and department chairs, who consistently always find racial issues with anything or any decision made that doesn't somehow benefit their purported cause. I've even witnessed them eating their own who wouldn't fall in line ideologically, and strangely I never once saw these types out on the rez.

But hey, despair not drunken and afflicted first nations people who have fuck all to really look forward to, yet another native-themed sports team has been blown away thanks to SJW's fighting to make the world better for you.

Amory

the more I think about the name the more i dislike it lol. it's so generic that it's clearly designed to be inoffensive (in an 'everyone is kinda fine with it', not an 'omg i'm offended' way) but it's also meaningless and nonsensical. what are you guarding?

TDiddyLive

what are you guarding?
Traffic. They are literally guarding traffic.
sRj5Jwl.jpg

The Hope Memorial Bridge stretches nearly a mile across the Cuyahoga River in downtown Cleveland, standing just outside of the ballpark. It first opened in 1932 and was originally known as the Lorain-Carnegie Bridge. Designed by engineers Wilbur J. Watson & Associates and Frank Walker, the bridge was curved at the lower edge of its trusses to give it an arched appearance. The major architectural feature, however, is four massive stone pylons of eight figures representing the Guardians of Traffic, which were designed by Walker and sculpted by Henry Hering. Each Guardian holds a different vehicle including a covered wagon, stagecoach and 1930s automobile.

NickFire

The ratings reports for certain pro sports are almost as entertaining as the sports themselves these days. It's truly fascinating watching these billion dollar entities turn away from (at least) half their audience in hopes that people who need safe spaces will make athletic competitions their primary form of entertainment. But on the flip side, the money saved really adds up.

Also, obligatory :messenger_tears_of_joy: at the crappy minor league name they chose. Biggest swing and miss in baseball history. Can you even imagine how much merchandise they'd sell in the first 24 hours had they gone with the simple, obvious, and frankly glorious option that was Cleveland Steamers?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
These might need to be workshopped a little more but the NFL should really consider these name changes...

The Seattle Antifa
The Chicago Antiracists
The San Francisco Gender Abolishioners
The Minnesota Defund Policers
The NYC Vaccinators
The Portland Shoplifters
The Washington Never Trumpers
The Green Bay Wokeflakes
The Buffalo Red Guards

So this is what Eddie Murphy felt like when he wrote Delirious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom