• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Escapist Magazine - How Xbox Has Become the Most Consumer-Friendly of the Big Three

Psykodad

Banned
so how are Microsoft harmful to the industry?
They were the main force behind (timed-exclusive) DLC, they were the main force behind bought exclusivity to prevent gaens going to other platforms, they were the main force behind paywalled multiplayer.

And then there's the whole discussion we already had in here.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
They were the main force behind (timed-exclusive) DLC, they were the main force behind bought exclusivity to prevent gaens going to other platforms, they were the main force behind paywalled multiplayer.

well Sony bought the rights to Tomb Raider to stop it appearing on the Sega Saturn, well the sequels anyway. so Sony were the first to start doing that so you can't really call out Microsoft for something Sony had done themselves.if you remember wipeout also appeared on the Saturn and Sony made sure that the sequels didn't they went and bought the developer and years later shut them down. Sony does everything Microsoft does but for some reason people don't call Sony on it

the paywall for online gaming was brought in for server costs to run the games well. you have a choice and Sony had a choice not to pay it or implement it.

Psykodad

Banned
well Sony bought the rights to Tomb Raider to stop it appearing on the Sega Saturn, well the sequels anyway. so Sony were the first to start doing that so you can't really call out Microsoft for something Sony had done themselves.if you remember wipeout also appeared on the Saturn and Sony made sure that the sequels didn't they went and bought the developer and years later shut them down. Sony does everything Microsoft does but for some reason people don't call Sony on it

the paywall for online gaming was brought in for server costs to run the games well. you have a choice and Sony had a choice not to pay it or implement it.
I said main force, not the only one. There's a big difference there.

And in regards to paid online multiplayer, llike I said to someone else, what makes you think I don't criticise Sony for stuff like that?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I said main force, not the only one. There's a big difference there.

And in regards to paid online multiplayer, llike I said to someone else, what makes you think I don't criticise Sony for stuff like that?
well everything you are saying there except the paywall for online gaming there is hard facts of Sony doing it and Sony doing it first yet you critique Microsoft for following the same practice that Sony does. your view is very blinkered if you are saying Microsoft the main culprits.

So for Microsoft paying for exclusive rights to Tomb Raider you had Sony doing the same For Carsh bandicoot

you can find DLC exclusivity right through Ps3 and xbox 360 so both did it and Sony were the first to pay for full exclusive DLC that didn't appear on a rival platform

Psykodad

Banned
well everything you are saying there except the paywall for online gaming there is hard facts of Sony doing it and Sony doing it first yet you critique Microsoft for following the same practice that Sony does. your view is very blinkered if you are saying Microsoft the main culprits.

So for Microsoft paying for exclusive rights to Tomb Raider you had Sony doing the same For Carsh bandicoot

you can find DLC exclusivity right through Ps3 and xbox 360 so both did it and Sony were the first to pay for full exclusive DLC that didn't appear on a rival platform
Read what I said a couple more times, see if it connects at some point.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I know, #SonyToo
well I will agree with you if you point out some genuine things that Microsoft has done that has harmed the industry that Sony hasn't done.

I will agree that Microsoft started the paywall for online gaming, but I will say that by doing this it was a lot more secure than playstation was at the time. wasn't Sony hacked and credit card details taken through the hack?

Psykodad

Banned
well I will agree with you if you point out some genuine things that Microsoft has done that has harmed the industry that Sony hasn't done.

I will agree that Microsoft started the paywall for online gaming, but I will say that by doing this it was a lot more secure than playstation was at the time. wasn't Sony hacked and credit card details taken through the hack?
What do you want to hear? I never said Sony or other companies didn't do similar things.
It's all well documented though and it isn't something that's reaching.
A couple quick google and youtube searches will give you all the answers you need.

And no idea what the Sony hack has to do with it.
Anything can be hacked.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
What do you want to hear? I never said Sony or other companies didn't do similar things.
It's all well documented though and it isn't something that's reaching.
A couple quick google and youtube searches will give you all the answers you need.

And no idea what the Sony hack has to do with it.
Anything can be hacked.
its simple you are saying Microsoft is harmful to the gaming industry, I asked for your reasons and you gave me a lot of reasons I will give you that, but the reasons you gave Sony either started or does every one of those reasons. so its unfair to blame Microsoft for the practices they do when Sony do exactly the same.

the hack you ask, well you brought up the pay wall for online gaming. well I agreed Microsoft did it and yes they did it first. Sony had a free service for online gaming, and unfortunately that came at a cost. less security and was hacked and a lot of data stolen, the service was shut down for a good while.
now the fact Microsoft had the paywall had them having more money to pay for the server costs and better security. I suppose you get what you pay for really

Psykodad

Banned
its simple you are saying Microsoft is harmful to the gaming industry, I asked for your reasons and you gave me a lot of reasons I will give you that, but the reasons you gave Sony either started or does every one of those reasons. so its unfair to blame Microsoft for the practices they do when Sony do exactly the same.

the hack you ask, well you brought up the pay wall for online gaming. well I agreed Microsoft did it and yes they did it first. Sony had a free service for online gaming, and unfortunately that came at a cost. less security and was hacked and a lot of data stolen, the service was shut down for a good while.
now the fact Microsoft had the paywall had them having more money to pay for the server costs and better security. I suppose you get what you pay for really
Unfair is subjective. It isn't from my point of view.

And you can hardly blame Sony for being hacked.
They also paid for it.

GymWolf

I can live with this statement.

Maybe fix your shitty windows store when you have 2 minutes so even people on pc can feel that friendly hug from phil.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
you can blame Sony for being hacked, they didn't have the right security and put there customers details in danger
Like I said, they paid for it. Sony isn't flawless.
I'm not sure what you're trying to convince me off.

Every hardcore gamer old enough should know that what I said about MS' influence is true.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Like I said, they paid for it. Sony isn't flawless.
I'm not sure what you're trying to convince me off.

Every hardcore gamer old enough should know that what I said about MS' influence is true.
I am well old enough and I remember Sony ding all of what you said.

bRacing

Banned

Yes you're right, MS put a gun to the heads of everyone else and made them adopt those practices. Sony was powerless to stop themselves from not just doing what MS started, but doing it more egregiously. You console warriors are hilarious.

Top Bottom