• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eric Lempel (SIE Head of Global Marketing): "I would say that this is the best line-up that we've ever seen in the history of PlayStation"

Dargor

They better start showing things then cuz, right now, I have never been less hyped fo a new gen since evah. I'm almost reaching negative levels of hype here.

Barakov

Gold Member
>When Sony starts stealing your messaging but it ends up being true

XKLJE29.jpg

Isn't he right? PS launches have never been stellar, per se. Not the highest bar to clear here.

Nostalgia my man. If you were a kid the PS2 launch was good while ofcourse objectively those games were kinda shite.
Hell in 10 years someone will be nostalgic for the PS3 launch games.

I maintain that buying a console in the first year on games alone isn't a good idea.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Marketer says thing to hype up their company, more at 8!

Don't believe it when MS says it, don't believe it when Sony says it. This is literally a marketers job.

Marketer says thing to hype up their company, more at 8!

Don't believe it when MS says it, don't believe it when Sony says it. This is literally a marketers job.

There's a difference between PR speak that's opinion based and PR speak that's fact-based. The "best" line-up is not an objective measure, it's subjective. Unlike say... "Halo: Infinite was built natively to run on Series X"

thelastword

Banned
So many have no idea who Eric Lempel is. He was the one in charge of the PlayStation Store and Firmware updates in the PS3 era. If there's one guy that knows the hardware, the OS inside out, the features it's Lempel. He was much younger back then and still relatively young, but he has never bluffed anybody or appeared to be bluffing his way through a lack of knowledge or being a salesman. He is not that type of guy.

Also for the people pretending that he was only talking about the launch are being clearly disingenuous. Lempel says they will start with some very interesting titles and build that up to the most heavyweight gen we've ever seen on PS. With all the deals Sony has garnered for third party and through the strength of it's first party which are the top tier leaders of this industry, Lempel has never told a lie.......Everybody and their grandmother knows that Sony has gone after the games....Jim Ryan wants every big and quality exclusive he can get his hand on.....Jim does not just want blood, he wants the marrow too......When people were talking on Twitter and giving interviews, Jim was making deals and sealing this gen like we've never seen......Obviously, Lempel is privy to all what's coming to PS, where there have been a million and one rumors already......I really want to know what Lempel is lying or Philistining about? It's pretty public knowledge at this point and the pure fact that Sony has always delivered, in every generation...

MiguelItUp

What was a system with a better launch line up?
Not saying I personally knew of one right off the top of my head, lol. But if I had to choose a Sony one, I'd say PS2. Non Sony, Dreamcast.

If they pull some magic and reveal some unannounced exclusive launch titles that will rock my bowels, well then maybe it will be very impressive. But thus far I'm not super excited about it, though I wish I was.

Papacheeks

Banned
This is just a rumor

It's more than a rumor thats been collaborated by more than one leaker on reset. If for some reason they scrapped silent hill, or it never existed which is unlikely, what the hell has Japan studio been working on for the past couple years?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
To be honest, there is nothing on ps5 or xbox series X so far that gets me amped up.

It's more than a rumor thats been collaborated by more than one leaker on reset. If for some reason they scrapped silent hill, or it never existed which is unlikely, what the hell has Japan studio been working on for the past couple years?

Dusk wasn't the first to all about Silent Hill right?

I would be really worried if he was the only source of that rumor given what happened recently.

Theres always a chance of this Guy Just being another Phil Spencer.

Surely we, PlayStation nation, are used to experience greatness, unlike the other side, but lets not be as naive as Xbox fanboys with that kind of hype.

Codes 208

Honestly one of the weaker one imo. Better than the ps3 but I’d gladly take the PS2 and PS4 lineups.

hell I’ll take the fucking vita’s.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They better start showing things then cuz, right now, I have never been less hyped fo a new gen since evah. I'm almost reaching negative levels of hype here.
this. fuck sony. fuck microsoft. what a disastrous lead up to the next gen launch its been. no one has shown us anything worth a damn.

watch the footage from the new chinese AAA game. now that looks amazing.

anothertech

I think you guys are confused. What he means by 'best line up in history' is the Xbox lineup. Sony doesn't have to do shit.

thisiscraig.gif

Papacheeks

Banned
Dusk wasn't the first to all about Silent Hill right?

I would be really worried if he was the only source of that rumor given what happened recently.

No he was the one who started it, and people had doubts but there was someone else who was verified and had similar information. ANd when it comes to anything capcom Dusk seemed to know. But there were a couple others who were verified that had also heard Japan studio's involvement in a revival.

No he was the one who started it, and people had doubts but there was someone else who was verified and had similar information. ANd when it comes to anything capcom Dusk seemed to know. But there were a couple others who were verified that had also heard Japan studio's involvement in a revival.

I always thought Silent Hill was Konami not Capcom. So why would a Capcom insider know about that?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
People keep saying Playstation 2 had a good lineup... did it? Because that’s not what I remember.

I do agree that fall 2001 was friggin’ epic: FFX, GT3, MGS2, GTA3, Ico, Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cry, and Jak and Daxter.
The PS2’s first year lineup was legendary. To bring it into context, imagine if next year saw the release of Final Fantasy 16, Gran Turismo 7, Metal Gear Solid 6, GTA 6, a new Team Ico game, a Silent Hill reboot, Devil May Cry 5 and Jak and Daxter 4... all exclusive for PS5 (or timed exclusive, in some cases). That’s what it would take to truly surpass the PS2.
I think discussing the first year of PS2 is a bit tricky. I agree with Entroyp that the first year was rough until fall 2001 when it went into overdrive. But i remember finally getting my ps2 in may 2001 and having nothing to play on it other than tekken and DoA. I had been used to dozens of PS one games at my finger tips at all times, and it was bizarre going to blockbuster and being forced to play games like SSX because there was literally nothing else.

GT3 came out in the summer, and then DMC and Code Veronica late august, but i remember going through a rough couple of dry months. I wasnt even into RE Code Veronica or Zone of Enders but i remember renting them because i wanted to play the DMC and MGS2 demos. Remember winback and the bouncer game? i played some awful shit that year lmao. thats how thirsty i was.

I am only nitpicking here because technically the PS4 had a great first year if you start including all the third party non exclusive stuff. DriveClub, KZSF, Infamous, Watch Dogs, Destiny, Dragon Age Inquisition, AC Unity, werent exactly MGS2 and GTA3 caliber games, but looking back you see plenty of games, but it's important to note how dry it was for most of the year until fall when the big hitters like Destiny arrived and turned us all into loot addicts.

PS3 was the same, Resistance, CoD 3, Motorstorm simply werent enough. but as soon as fall hit, it was like the Christmas. Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, Ratchet, Uncharted, CoD 4, AC1, Half Life Orange Box. Once again, the fall lineupn redeemed the first year, but no one will say that the PS3 had a great first year because those first few months were so rough.

I think with the PS5, it really depends on how Sony does at launch and at launch window. I think for PS5 to be considered great, it has to launch with GT7, Spiderman and Demon Souls. Then Ratchet can be their big Spring title with Horizon coming in the summer like TLOU2 or Ghost. Though Fall is far more likely.

Well this certainly has some meaning behind it. Sony for the most part dosen't just come out and make statements like this. I will be severely disappointed if they dont back this statement. My expectation now is they show at a min 1 new undisclosed 1st party and 3rd party exclusive. I also think this was a calculated shot at MS. We will see.

Meh it's not like it's a tall order to be the best launch lineup, PlayStation never really was about launch and Resistance Fall of Man is still the best launch title in the PS launch library to date.

Papacheeks

Banned
I always thought Silent Hill was Konami not Capcom. So why would a Capcom insider know about that?

A lot of Eastern talent talk to each other. Especially in chats, boards. Dusk writes for some resident evil subsidiary. So more than likely has connections to people who work/write. Konami owns the property but Japan studio is the developer doing silent Hill.

DinoD

Well. If you are going to launch $549-$599 console, you better ensure you at least have an awesome lineup of games.

A lot of Eastern talent talk to each other. Especially in chats, boards. Dusk writes for some resident evil subsidiary. So more than likely has connections to people who work/write. Konami owns the property but Japan studio is the developer doing silent Hill.

So what about what he said about 3rd party games being really bad on the PS5. Do you think that's true?

Gamerguy84

Eric Lempel has been with Sony a very long time.

All the comparisons to phil are kind of funny. Hes closer to Aaron Greenberg in role.

As far as I know hes never stood on a stage and over promised anything.

reptilex

Banned
This is not PR anymore, these are just blatant lies, the more they do it, the more it convinces me and colleagues not to get the PS5

Papacheeks

Banned
So what about what he said about 3rd party games being really bad on the PS5. Do you think that's true?

No he admitted to making that shit up.

And I know that doesn't help his cred. But rumors circled about silent Hill like last year. And now that more time has passed, there's more evidence of the game being developed by Japan studio with OG silent Hill people.

Third party rumors are shit. I'v talked to couple friends who don't talk about work because of the social climate. But one is a concept artist at gearbox.

Says they loaded up borderlands on it without any optimized patches and it scaled to 4k 60fps without issue. Granted that's unreal 4. And the PS4 build.

But gives me confidence that dusk was full of shit on that one.

Only thing that had any evidence was RE 8 Running like shit. And I'll chalk that up to their engine was not optimized.

No he admitted to making that shit up.

And I know that doesn't help his cred. But rumors circled about silent Hill like last year. And now that more time has passed, there's more evidence of the game being developed by Japan studio with OG silent Hill people.

Third party rumors are shit. I'v talked to couple friends who don't talk about work because of the social climate. But one is a concept artist at gearbox.

Says they loaded up borderlands on it without any optimized patches and it scaled to 4k 60fps without issue. Granted that's unreal 4. And the PS4 build.

But gives me confidence that dusk was full of shit on that one.

Only thing that had any evidence was RE 8 Running like shit. And I'll chalk that up to their engine was not optimized.

I have a theory that Dusk Golem let the console wars get to him. Especially after he said he wanted to even things out.

Abear21

Banned
Optimist: Demons Souls confirmed at launch!

Pessimist: Isn’t it literally this guys job to say this?

Reality: Everyone will be playing Cyberpunk so it doesn’t matter

Raonak

Banned
He's not wrong, pre launch, they've already announced:

Spiderman, ratchet, horizon, demons souls, GT7

That's a pretty impressive lineup, but it depends on how many even release in the first year.

If this suit puts out another crappy trailer like the one his team just put out to kickstart PS5's marketing campaign I might have to sit down with Jim and have a serious talk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom