• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

epicurious bans beef from its recipes

Kimahri

Banned
The solution isn't to eat less meat, but rather to have less humans. Way less humans. Modern medicine has doomed this planet.
Yeah yeah yeah. This keeps on being repeated and sure, I agree, there are too many of us.

But populations in wealthy countries are declining, yet meat consumption keeps going up. So as other countries raise their living standards, meat consumption goes up there as well. And thus increasing the strain on our natural resources.

So what is your sollution? Who are we gonna kill off? The poor that don't eat much anyways? Us "civilized" folk who are the main consumers, or what, exactly?

Please tell me how population control will fix this problem created by the rich? And when I say rich, I don't mean as in billionaires, I mean rich as in average income in Germany vs Sudan.

Understandable when 41% of the land of USA is dedicated to cattle raising:
41% of Land in Contiguous US Is Used to Feed Livestock (treehugger.com)

a lot of that land isnt suited to other types of farming. There is still a lot of unused land in the world that is suitable for ranching, the same is not true for other types of farming. Basically if land is ideal for crops it is already being used, while a significant portion of ranch land is not.

When you raise cows in traditional ranching methods it is also occupied by various types of animals and wild trees. If you used this land for any other purpose it would be uninhabitable to wild animals.

If you are unironically against ranching please pick up an agronomy textbook. If you want to feed more people with minimal impact to the environment you would increase ranching in the US and worldwide.

As for posters who want to decrease world population, who do you think should go first and how should we do it? From my perspective you are spewing ill will into the void with no practical solutions, and you are decreasing public trust. A lot of conspiracy theories and distrust of government is the direct result of listening to people muse about how their diets should be changed and how humanity needs to be decreased. Normal people hear that and ask themselves "What would people with these views do in secret if they have power?" It doesnt help that some people who make these arguments are the wealthy.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
True. A simple solution would be to ban fast food outlets. This would result in less cattle being raised, but people could still purchase raw beef for cooking at home.
I think there is an easier solution to that. Not make the industry so heavily subsidized, I remember some video, that beef is half the price it should be, so without gov help you wouldn't get it this cheap.

I think there is an easier solution to that. Not make the industry so heavily subsidized, I remember some video, that beef is half the price it should be, so without gov help you wouldn't get it this cheap.

The federal government subsidizes production of various crops that people dont eat, and so they are used in feed lots which is one of the least environmentally friendly and sustainable food producing activities.

There are whole industries that exist around finding uses for feed corn. I think the government should stop subsidizing this stuff, but once you get enough government money you can afford lobbyists and for that reason we do a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The federal government subsidizes production of various crops that people dont eat, and so they are used in feed lots which is one of the least environmentally friendly and sustainable food producing activities.

There are whole industries that exist around finding uses for feed corn. I think the government should stop subsidizing this stuff, but once you get enough government money you can afford lobbyists and for that reason we do a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense.
I agree with this, that it would be hard, however it's still easier than to try people to eat less of it/banning traditional fast foods chains. I think if you want red meat, you should pay the price accordingly. Because if you eat a lot of it, it's probably going to be problem down the line with medical industry. It's like with smoking...

I agree with this, that it would be hard, however it's still easier than to try people to eat less of it/banning traditional fast foods chains. I think if you want red meat, you should pay the price accordingly. Because if you eat a lot of it, it's probably going to be problem down the line with medical industry. It's like with smoking...

The idea that red meat is bad for you is based on faulty science (this would require a lot of explanation about how a faulty theory of heart disease was widely spread through out our lifetime despite minimal scientific evidence supporting it). If anything you should actually be terrified that feedlot practices require lots of anti biotics as the animals are packed in closely and are constantly breathing on each other and creating antibiotic resistant bacteria. To fix this you would need to change policy in the US and China. China is where antibiotics are failing on farms the fastest.

From my perspective, I live in a world where a bunch of rich people cause problems for the rest or us, lobby the government to make sure they can keep causing these problems, and then they lecture the masses about how they need to change their behavior. I don't see any of this changing unless some crises created by these problems is so disastrous it causes society to unravel, which in my estimation is a likely outcome within my lifetime.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

I agree. Beef shouldn't be cheap. The cow takes years to raise, plus the added cost of food and water it consumes throughout it's life (more land is therefore raised just to grow food for the animals).

Basically, if we cut back on the ever growing fast food industry, plus cost beef as it should be, we shouldn't have much of an issue.

I noticed that Wendy's plan to open 400 outlets in the UK. Mr Beast Burger is also looking to expand in the UK. That's more places that are going to need food, as in beef, to operate their restaurants. More land will need to be raised for the animals, more land raised to grow food for them. More water used for them to drink, which is a massive issue because cows drink more than humans, and the south of England is already such a water stressed area that Thames Water legally are forcing people not on water meters to switch to water meters.

Fast food is truly a problem we need to address.

I agree. Beef shouldn't be cheap. The cow takes years to raise, plus the added cost of food and water it consumes throughout it's life (more land is therefore raised just to grow food for the animals).

Basically, if we cut back on the ever growing fast food industry, plus cost beef as it should be, we shouldn't have much of an issue.

I noticed that Wendy's plan to open 400 outlets in the UK. Mr Beast Burger is also looking to expand in the UK. That's more places that are going to need food, as in beef, to operate their restaurants. More land will need to be raised for the animals, more land raised to grow food for them. More water used for them to drink, which is a massive issue because cows drink more than humans, and the south of England is already such a water stressed area that Thames Water legally are forcing people not on water meters to switch to water meters.

Fast food is truly a problem we need to address.

Fast food is a symptom of a culture is obsessed with productivity. The GDP line must go up sir.

Edit: To extrapolate on that point, you need more resturaunts cause there will be more people packed in cities due to immigration, refugee resettlement, and restructuring of the economy. Fast food makes more sense the more you expect people to live in cramped conditions while working full time. All of this is justified when you criticize it by economists who make appeals to GDP as if it was A god, and arguably based on the way we live in our society it is.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Who are we gonna kill off?

200.gif

Pagusas

Elden Member
in the next 30 years Red Meat will be a luxury only the rich get to enjoy. Climate change will change the lives of everyone BUT the wealthy.

Fuz

Banned
The wealthy people ordering you to eat bugs will be dining on fillets while they laugh at you.
Come here to post this.
There's a big propaganda push toward insect consumption - now an open Overton window.

Dine on bedbugs, plebs, while we feast on Kobe beef.

Come here to post this.
There's a big propaganda push toward insect consumption - now an open Overton window.

Dine on bedbugs, plebs, while we feast on Kobe beef.

I feel like the people that push this do it just to spite/humiliate the poor. You know who is happy to eat bugs? Chickens. Raising chickens is one of the most effecient ways to convert just about anything into protein. Do they push eating more chicken? Not really, instead lets push something on people that a large portion of them will reject due to their natural disgust responses which are a product of evolution.

Kenpachii

So your solution is making the poor even more miserable.

Interesting.

Its the only option, poors are the ones that consume the most at the end of the day which effects the 99%.

U can still get it if you are poor u just gotta save up for it.

When i grew up beef was expensive here and became cheaper over time it was a luxurious product, now i could buy beef every single day if i wanted too which means it becomes more a fast food option. Only way to remove that issue is to tax it to shit. The moment a piece of meet costs you 15 bucks, u will think twice about it when chicken is 3 bucks and only use it for special solutions. The beef consumption will drop considerable and prices will naturally go up again because less is bought.

This website removing beef from the menu isn't something i would call weird if they want to demotivate people from eating it.

The same goes for fish in general, u want overfishing to stop, tax it to shit so the common fokes won't buy the food anymore for every day consumption.

I eat tuna every day because a can costs me nothing, i mix it in a salad, if that tuna costs me 15 bucks i would just not put it in there and buy some fish oil pills and call it a day.

Last edited:
Its the only option, poors are the ones that consume the most at the end of the day which effects the 99%.

U can still get it if you are poor u just gotta save up for it.

When i grew up beef was expensive here and became cheaper over time it was a luxurious product, now i could buy beef every single day if i wanted too which means it becomes more a fast food option. Only way to remove that issue is to tax it to shit. The moment a piece of meet costs you 15 bucks, u will think twice about it when chicken is 3 bucks and only use it for special solutions. The beef consumption will drop considerable and prices will naturally go up again because less is bought.

This website removing beef from the menu isn't something i would call weird if they want to demotivate people from eating it.

The same goes for fish in general, u want overfishing to stop, tax it to shit so the common fokes won't buy the food anymore for every day consumption.

I eat tuna every day because a can costs me nothing, i mix it in a salad, if that tuna costs me 15 bucks i would just not put it in there and buy some fish oil pills and call it a day.

Why tax it instead of regulating fishing practices to be sustainable? Why are the poor more to blame than the people making money off of exploiting the environment.

Also, I don't know how the rest of America raises it's beef, but in Florida we literally don't need to house them. There are huge swaths of pasture-land virtually everywhere north of the Everglades that have cattle that live permanently due to the pleasant weather.

There are plenty of people who own raw acreage that raise cows as a part-time gig. There are also people that own thousands of acres along Highway 60 that raise a thousand head at a time with very little effort, just fence up the land and provide a few retention ponds for watering holes. The cattle keep the land trimmed, and it's all obviously grass-fed.

Obviously this does not work for dairy, and there are certainly vet bills, but there's no factory beef ranching here.

LordPezix

Good, eating dead carcasses are for obese Neanderthal troglodytes who are ruled by their simple minded YuM-yUm TaStE GoOd self centered ideals.

I hope they tax meat eaters and charge premiums for health insurance.

#banthemeats

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Also, I don't know how the rest of America raises it's beef, but in Florida we literally don't need to house them. There are huge swaths of pasture-land virtually everywhere north of the Everglades that have cattle that live permanently due to the pleasant weather.

There are plenty of people who own raw acreage that raise cows as a part-time gig. There are also people that own thousands of acres along Highway 60 that raise a thousand head at a time with very little effort, just fence up the land and provide a few retention ponds for watering holes. The cattle keep the land trimmed, and it's all obviously grass-fed.

Obviously this does not work for dairy, and there are certainly vet bills, but there's no factory beef ranching here.
I live in farm country. If we left the cows out during the cold months, they would die of exposure. I also buy my beef direct from a local farmer, half a cow at a time.

jason10mm

Gold Member
True. A simple solution would be to ban fast food outlets. This would result in less cattle being raised, but people could still purchase raw beef for cooking at home.
The "beef" used in fast food is probably the stuff left over when you process a cow for home/real restaurant use. Kind of like how a chicken mcnugget is made from the goo you can crush out of a chicken carcass after all the "I recognize this meat as chicken" stuff has been cut away. So getting rid of it will just lead to MORE cows because they will have to serve more expensive meat from a fresh cow instead or at least raise the price of beef for the rest of us because butchers can't squeeze that extra $$$ from a cow carcass anymore, at least what they don't sell to dog food producers.

The solution, IMHO, is to reduce beef portions in general and increase the quality of cows by limiting mass production. Bring back more local ranching and make beef a smaller, but more flavorful part of the meal.

Top Bottom