• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

epicurious bans beef from its recipes

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Bit of old news since this happened in april but...

For those who don't know, Epicurious (owned by Conde Nast) is one of the largest food-focused brands along its sister brand Bon Appetit. They have a huge audience, with about 7M of their users cooking daily at home and spending over 50B in buying food and going to restaurants.

Here's the announcement: https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/why-epicurious-left-beef-behind-article

There's been many, many reactions but here's one from the washington post (guess amazon likes selling beef): https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/04/30/my-beef-with-epicurious/

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Bit of old news since this happened in april but...

For those who don't know, Epicurious (owned by Conde Nast) is one of the largest food-focused brands along its sister brand Bon Appetit. They have a huge audience, with about 7M of their users cooking daily at home and spending over 50B in buying food and going to restaurants.

Here's the announcement: https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/why-epicurious-left-beef-behind-article

There's been many, many reactions but here's one from the washington post (guess amazon likes selling beef): https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/04/30/my-beef-with-epicurious/
Conde Nast, isn't that the racist organization that banned people of color from appearing in the majority of their youtube videos, and paid minorities less money simply because they thought they could.

Seems ironic to ban beef.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
wheres-the-beef-wendys-commercial.gif

Sakura

Well if you want to be serious about stopping climate change this is the kind of thing you gotta do, so can't knock them for doing what they're doing.
People still gonna eat meat though.

epicnemesis

We just need to teach these damn cows not to fart so much.
This can apparently be done by introducing some sort of seaweed or algae to their diet.

I’m really over all these companies trying to do more than just provide a good or service. Just up and take my money, or in this case monetize me.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'll eat the beef right off a cow's ass if I have to. I'm never giving it up. I've cut down a bit in recent years though. I eat chicken or pork the other days of the week lol

Reactions: Gp1

OrtizTwelve

I’m sure the wealthy executives at Condé Nast and Epicurious are doing their part by not eating expensive steaks at expensive restaurants, nor running the ac too cold in their lavish homes, and definitely not traveling via private jet, all in order to save the planet.

I am 100% sure.

(Yeah right)

Liljagare

Wild Boar/Deer can sub in most nations.

Beef cattle is such a waste, and the farmed stuff tastes like crap. You can taste the stress in most beef.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
This is really what it boils down to. The poors were getting too big for their britches (quite literally) and they don't like it so they're going to ensure we live true underclass lives and make modern luxuries and conveniences off-limits to us.
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Fallacious argument. Wealth does not equal an oppressive class that wants to deprive others of rights.

Do better.

moniker

By all means, bring on the lab wagyu. Labyu. Until then, give me that natural bovine baby I’m hungry

Yeah, about that.

Humbird likened the process of researching the report to encountering an impenetrable “Wall of No”—his term for the barriers in thermodynamics, cell metabolism, bioreactor design, ingredient costs, facility construction, and other factors that will need to be overcome before cultivated protein can be produced cheaply enough to displace traditional meat.

“And it’s a fractal no,” he told me. “You see the big no, but every big no is made up of a hundred little nos.”

Top Bottom