• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic says there are now more than 500 million Epic Games accounts

Anime-Vix

Epic Games announced Wednesday that there are now more than 500 million Epic Games accounts. It's a notable milestone as Epic continues to build the Epic Games Store as a competitor to Steam and bring in new players for titles like Fortnite and Rocket League. Epic didn't share further details about that 500 million, however, so it's unclear how many of those accounts represent segments like people that only play Epic's own games (such as Fortnite) or those who have only used Epic's store.

Last edited:

Fredrik

And how many are using them for the free games only?
Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

Gamezone

Gold Member
And how many are using them for the free games only?
Raise Hand GIF by Nick Jonas

I bought Sifu and Dying Light 2 with my coupon. They've added a shopping cart, so it's actually possible to combine the coupon with the entire cart. Both games have achievements, and the PSN like achievements system looks great in my opinion. Profiles are up next. I love that Steam have some competition, even though it's still superior to EGS.

skybaby

I bought Sifu and Dying Light 2 with my coupon. They've added a shopping cart, so it's actually possible to combine the coupon with the entire cart. Both games have achievements, and the PSN like achievements system looks great in my opinion. Profiles are up next. I love that Steam have some competition, even though it's still superior to EGS.
Bringing exclusives to pc stores (by sheer monetary power), nice competition

Gamezone

Gold Member
Bringing exclusives to pc stores (by sheer monetary power), nice competition

Or maybe the developers just wanted a larger cut of the game they made? It's not like Steam is made by God or anything. There's many flaws there too. Valve totally forgot about the phone app, big picture mode, their achievements, Steam Link app, and so on. People obviously hate EGS, yet they collect their games.

Last edited:

Daytonabot

Banned
Or maybe the developers just wanted a larger cut of the game they made? It's not like Steam is made by God or anything. There's many flaws there too. Valve totally forgot about the phone app, big picture mode, their achievements, Steam Link app, and so on. People obviously hate EGS, yet they collect their games.
So your point is that Valve has literally forgotten about more features than Epic has. Can't argue with that.

Also, developers don't make agreements with Epic in most cases. Publishers do. Either way, consumers have the ultimate power, which is why EGS is losing money on its own.

Last edited:

ShaikhCroft

Got like 140 games but bought only 2 of them! While on Steam I bought hundreds of games and only a very few free games!

Kacho

Gold Member
I'm one of them and I never use it. Still haven't installed the Epic launcher on my new PC. lol

00_Zer0

And how many of those accounts are only there to play EOS-locked games with Easy Anti-Cheat?
I rarely play online through Epic, but the one time I tried recently my son wanted me to join him in a game of Fortnite. I tried over and over for an hour and could not log in. I never have this kind of trouble on Steam when I want to play online.

Gamezone

Gold Member
So your point is that Valve has literally forgotten about more features than Epic has. Can't argue with that.

Also, developers don't make agreements with Epic in most cases. Publishers do. Either way, consumers have the ultimate power, which is why EGS is losing money on its own.

As I said, Steam is superior. But their achievement system is more interesting in my opinion, and profiles look very interesting based on their early screenshots. I think it's interesting, that's all. It's more arcade looking, just like consoles. But as EGS gain more paying custemors, publishers might find their user base and lower cut more and more interesting. And then we might get some competition.

Pejo

I'm still not a part of this metric, never will even create an account until they abolish the paid exclusivity bullshit.

Graciaus

As I said, Steam is superior. But their achievement system is more interesting in my opinion, and profiles look very interesting based on their early screenshots. I think it's interesting, that's all. It's more arcade looking, just like consoles. But as EGS gain more paying custemors, publishers might find their user base and lower cut more and more interesting. And then we might get some competition.
Epic releases year end numbers. They gained a bunch of new users although those users claimed less free games and the kicker is the average user spent less money last year than the previous.

There is zero competition.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Epic releases year end numbers. They gained a bunch of new users although those users claimed less free games and the kicker is the average user spent less money last year than the previous.

There is zero competition.

I know, but that could change as they improve their store.

ClosBSAS

yes i have to admit as much as i hate epic shit store, the cheevos system is nice. steam needs to fucking upgrade that shitty ass cheevo system. l4d1 had a great one with sounds, colors and display.
best cheevos though go to dragon age origins.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I’ve bought several games on EGS. Their sales are really good.

I prefer the launcher to UPlay and Origin by a lot. I love Steam as much as the next nerd but EGS is fine in my book.

amigastar

I’ve bought several games on EGS. Their sales are really good.

I prefer the launcher to UPlay and Origin by a lot. I love Steam as much as the next nerd but EGS is fine in my book.
Same here, if a sale is good i'll buy the game, sure i would love to have all games on Steam but reality is, it's not that easy.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Nice now tell us the active users.
Steam has around 2 billion accounts, but only around 10% of them are active gamers.

Gamezone

Gold Member
yes i have to admit as much as i hate epic shit store, the cheevos system is nice. steam needs to fucking upgrade that shitty ass cheevo system. l4d1 had a great one with sounds, colors and display.
best cheevos though go to dragon age origins.

I agree, but the problem with Valve is that when something is released, it usually stay that way for a long time. I used to be an achievement hunter on Xbox and Playstation, and I still am. The system on Steam is so boring that I couldn't care less when gaming on PC.

Stuart360

I wonder how many of those accounts only own free games, lmao.
I have something like 160 games on Epic, and only one of them was bought. Even then i'm pretty sure it cost Epic money. I was contributing to the Ubisoft website in the various ;'Ghost Recon Breakpoint' betas, and they emailed me a 50% off code for Uplay or Epic. I waited about a month and the game was 40% off on Epic, plus i had the $10 off voucher Epic do in their sales, and added my 50% off code from Ubisoft. I ended up paying something like $5 for the game, and it only had been out for a month lol.
Fuck Epic.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I wonder how many are actual paying customers, and not just people creating an account for some free games.

I remember when they proudly announced that the number players, concurrent players and games available on the store had all more than doubled, but conveniently glossed over the fact that despite all of this, revenue was only up 3% year-over-year. And this was in the first year of the pandemic, a time where other platforms were absolutely killing it (Steam user spending increased by 20% in the same time period, IIRC).

Fahdis

I agree, but the problem with Valve is that when something is released, it usually stay that way for a long time. I used to be an achievement hunter on Xbox and Playstation, and I still am. The system on Steam is so boring that I couldn't care less when gaming on PC.

Its still literally unlocking jpegs for tasks. I used to care about the leader system until I realized that its really just another layer on top of sugar coated shit. I do achievement hunts all the time, just on Steam now. After my 100th Platinum on PS 3 years ago, I quit because of a lack of a regional store. Consoles really have a closed ecosystem with the worst pricing. Also, I use achievements now to track progress on my games and as a completionist diary thats what it really is. All helped by Gog Galaxy 2 and their interface and Completionist.me if I want to get extra anal for the 100% itch.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Pretty cool for them yeah. I've only used it to redeem free games so far, havem't even played a single one of them... But I guess that'll change once Stranger of Paradise comes out.

Yes from playing Fortnite and not much else. Dont assume 500 million buying games as on steam, else they would not need to buy exclusivity deals and bleed so much money.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
They got me with their free games first, then with their coupons on top of regional pricing. I bought several games from here and planning to buy some more.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That’s nothing impressive when you take into account that you have to download it for Unreal Engine too

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You also have to have an account to download the unreal sdk. That’s why I have one.

Top Bottom