• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Purchases 980,000 sq ft, 87 acre Shopping Mall for New HQ

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Epic Games, Inc. (“Epic”), Turnbridge Equities (“Turnbridge”) and Denali Properties (“Denali”) are pleased to announce an agreement to transfer ownership of the 980,000-square-foot and 87-acre Cary Towne Center to Epic, with the goal of converting the property into its new campus by 2024. The facilities will include both office buildings and recreational spaces, allowing Epic the flexibility to create a campus customized from the ground up to accommodate its long-term growth.

Epic plans to commence development of its new headquarters this year and the company will continue to be based at its current location at Crossroads Boulevard in the interim. Epic has been proud to call Cary home for over 20 years and has immersed itself into the community, often hiring locally and from nearby universities as the company continues to grow and scale.

While plans for the Epic campus are still in the early phases, the company is already working with the Town of Cary on its development and exploring ways some of this property might be used by the community. Epic is grateful to the Town and its leadership for how welcoming it has been to the company over the years, and this positive relationship played a significant role in Epic’s decision to pursue a campus that secures its future in Cary for decades to come.

“We’re extremely proud that Epic has chosen to call Cary home for their new global headquarters, and we greatly appreciate the company’s recognition of Cary’s existing assets as well as the unlimited potential of the area for their growing business,” said Cary, NC Mayor Harold Weinbrecht. “We look forward to continuing to work closely and collaboratively with the Epic team as they conceptualize their new campus, and we’re honored to partner with them on this exciting new development.”

Epic, which was represented by Stephen Porterfield of Capital Associates in this transaction, is also collaborating closely with Turnbridge and Denali to ensure a smooth transition of ownership. Turnbridge and Denali acquired the Cary Towne Center mall in January 2019 in a distressed sale following the loss of three of its five anchor tenants. The firms recognized the potential to transform the space into a revitalized new development for the region, and have since invested in the successful rezoning of the property. Thanks to this investment, Epic will be able to commence development of its new headquarters this year, and begin the transformation of the property.

“Epic shares our vision for transforming Cary Towne Center into a vibrant community space. This sale is further validation of our value-driven investment strategy, and the property could not be placed in better hands,” said Jason Davis, Managing Director at Turnbridge Equities. “After years of shifting development plans for the Center, we are thrilled the space will be utilized to its full potential and turned into something the Town and community of Cary can be proud of.”
Source: https://www.epicgames.com/site/en-US/news/epic-games-announces-new-location-for-company-headquarters

Fox Business reporting it was a $95 MM sale.

Crazy to think how bustling and full of life these places were in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Kind of sad to lose a part of American life like this but interesting to see the spaces get repurposed.

Zeeed

These kind of repurposing should be more celebrated.
Use existing commercial land instead of clearing another area.
Retro-fitting an existing complex instead of tearing down a building and sending all that material to who knows where.

I know Epic has flag ship products like Fortnite and Unreal and Gears of War. Are they going to expand and make different or new ip's?

Armorous

This mall hasn't been an actual mall for years, very few stores left and half of the place empty. Still enjoyed taking the kids for the train ride and marry go round (removed a few years ago 😟) Will be nice to see it repurposed which will hopefully help the community.

Tim is gonna live out his mall sex fantasy now.

"Go pick me up some god damn hot cinnabuns for me to glaze"
cdxVdcg.jpg

That's what Rack Space did out in San Antonio, TX. They bought an abandoned mall and turned it into one of their main offices along with their massive Data Center.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Tim Sweeney got scared after seeing that $50 million tontino´s sponsored fartnigh compound. He does not want Voldemort to work for them!

Crazy to think how bustling and full of life these places were in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Kind of sad to lose a part of American life like this but interesting to see the spaces get repurposed.
There's a whole subculture of mall explorers on youtube. Pretty grim stuff. Most cities should hope they get repurposed, or they'll turn into wastelands of toxic mold and homeless encampments the cops wont even go in.

Pejo

There's a whole subculture of mall explorers on youtube. Pretty grim stuff. Most cities should hope they get repurposed, or they'll turn into wastelands of toxic mold and homeless encampments the cops wont even go in.

This is pretty cool honestly. Looks like I know which rabbit hole I'm going down next.

sn0man

I would find the location of a Software Etc. or Babbages that was in there and make that my office. You know someone was in there 25 years ago looking to preorder Unreal for PC.

I can't believe anyone actually enjoys going to these massive malls. A relic of the eighties that should be gotten rid off. US needs a whole rethink on how it designs and develops modern cities and suburbs. Change the stupid zoning laws to make mixed land use possible again. Have smaller commercial buildings mixed in with residential buildings to get more liveable cities and suburbs.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I know Epic has flag ship products like Fortnite and Unreal and Gears of War. Are they going to expand and make different or new ip's?

Mate.
New IPs?

Epic Store, Epic Publishing, Fortnite, Quixel, Hyprsense, Cubic and Unreal Engine are massive and deserve this campus.

Even if Epic Games never made a new game again this campus would make sense.

Realtime CGI is the future and Epic are at the forefront right now, I wouldnt be shocked if Deform Dynamics is next on Epics purchase list.
All you indie Unreal Engine users, up your game cuz Epic is going to be hiring again and again till this campus is filled with talent.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So this is going to be like Stranger Things except instead of Russians it will be the Chines army building a base under the Mall?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
1. Is this only for having a new head quarter?
2. Isn't this kinda "the higher you get, the further you fall"? I mean that's a lot of money invested in just getting a new headquarter.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Seems pretty useless outside of flexing. Especially now that they are not doing some high-profile AAA games. Not sure how much do you need for Unreal Engine building and Fortnite.

Maybe they will have there some studio, akin to the set of Mandalorian? Just a thought.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
These kind of repurposing should be more celebrated.
Use existing commercial land instead of clearing another area.
Retro-fitting an existing complex instead of tearing down a building and sending all that material to who knows where.

Yes, the less nature destroyed the better. Re-Use Spaces that are dead like this mall or whatever.

Also great to see Epic expading.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Id be real curious to see how much they remodel. Seems to me that malls arent really set up for high density all day occupancy by the same people versus a small 'permanent staff' and lots of 1-2 hour transients, they dont have enough bathrooms. Plus, what are they gonna do with restaurants and all the little shops?

Shpuld be really cool, especially if the basic floor plan is preserved with those super wide halls and common areas. They could have a lot of fun with theming.

The mall has been dead for a long time. Only ever went for Chick-fil-A and gamestop so I'm eager to see the new development.

Top Bottom