• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic has finally added a shopping cart to their store. Trailer inside!

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
shit for Steam ...

tfw GIF

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Funny to think that, after all this time using the platform, I never noticed there was no shopping cart.

Guess you don't need it when it comes to free games.

Edit: they even madre a trailer? holy shit :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

jakinov

Seems like that should have been there from the beginning? I've never used Epic store before so maybe they had a reason for not adding.
Probably because it wasn't a high prirotiy, and there was other work to do. The number of staff is finite, so what's more important gets worked on first. It's likely not common for people to have shopping carts of games to buy. Vast majoirt of people are probably buying 1 at a time. Maybe when there's promotional sales it becomes more likely but it likely won't stop people from buying.

Last edited:

FingerBang

I love when people feel the need to share how much they don't care about something

Good for Epic. Shopping Carts are a huge pain in the ass, I don't doubt they had issues implementing it

Holdfing

What I find weird is that the Unreal Engine Marketplace that is part of the launcher has had a cart since forever.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
N2eZOB1.gif

This will really come in handy the next time I won't be buying anything at that store.
Hey now, maybe we can speed Carr those two free games instead of it taking so long to load each page and the confirm transaction.

FStubbs

Probably because it wasn't a high prirotiy, and there was other work to do. The number of staff is finite, so what's more important gets worked on first. It's likely not common for people to have shopping carts of games to buy. Vast majoirt of people are probably buying 1 at a time. Maybe when there's promotional sales it becomes more likely but it likely won't stop people from buying.
If your goal is to run Steam out of business, you should at least have feature parity with them. Tencent/Epic have way more money than Valve.

CitizenZ

Banned
In case you are keeping score this week:
Oled are the biggest game changer for gaming ever
Halo is GOTY
Epic getting a shopping cart dooms Steam

Never stop GAF, you provide hours and hours of unlimited comedy.

jakinov

If your goal is to run Steam out of business, you should at least have feature parity with them. Tencent/Epic have way more money than Valve.
Their goal isn't to run Steam out of business. And disagree either way. Waiting until you have feature parity before you launch of overly investing in a bunch of developers to get as much as you can out at launch is overly expensive, risky and can is inefficient. You basically have a bunch of people stepping on each other toes and being blocked waiting for others to get stuff done. The expression in development that's throw around is "9 women can't make a baby in one month". From a business perspective Epic is not going to wait yeras to get feature parity. When they already have the minimum needed to get people to use the service. Over time, they can expand organically and build out teams to implement features faster and faster. Many of the features not there are not that important to most players.

Either way Epic didn't have that much money back then and Tencent is only a part owner. They aren't going to put cash into a business they partly own without getting things out of it. Lets say they are full owner, it doesn't mean much to have more overall becasue most of it will never go to gaming. Just like Microosft having more money than Sony doesn't mean much because Microsoft isn't going to put all their eggs in their worst performing basket. Just like Tencent is going to put all their eggs in the risky new basket. When companies spend moeny, they don't think well if all this money gets burnt at least I still have this other money here. They spend on how much money they want to risk for a given project not how much excess they have.

Brofist

Their goal isn't to run Steam out of business. And disagree either way. Waiting until you have feature parity before you launch of overly investing in a bunch of developers to get as much as you can out at launch is overly expensive, risky and can is inefficient. You basically have a bunch of people stepping on each other toes and being blocked waiting for others to get stuff done. The expression in development that's throw around is "9 women can't make a baby in one month". From a business perspective Epic is not going to wait yeras to get feature parity. When they already have the minimum needed to get people to use the service. Over time, they can expand organically and build out teams to implement features faster and faster. Many of the features not there are not that important to most players.

Either way Epic didn't have that much money back then and Tencent is only a part owner. They aren't going to put cash into a business they partly own without getting things out of it. Lets say they are full owner, it doesn't mean much to have more overall becasue most of it will never go to gaming. Just like Microosft having more money than Sony doesn't mean much because Microsoft isn't going to put all their eggs in their worst performing basket. Just like Tencent is going to put all their eggs in the risky new basket. When companies spend moeny, they don't think well if all this money gets burnt at least I still have this other money here. They spend on how much money they want to risk for a given project not how much excess they have.
A shopping cart isn't some risky venture, it's the most basic part of an online store. If a company like Epic has money to throw around on buying exclusives and giving away free games they can certainly add basic functionality to their store.

Last edited:

Brofist

In case you are keeping score this week:
Oled are the biggest game changer for gaming ever
Halo is GOTY
Epic getting a shopping cart dooms Steam

Never stop GAF, you provide hours and hours of unlimited comedy.
The Steam is doomed comments in here are obviously not serious. As for the Halo and OLED topics, guess you just strongly disagree with those takes? Those seem like pretty mild threads to me.

Last edited:

jakinov

A shopping cart isn't some risky venture, it's the most basic part of an online store. If a company like Epic has money to throw around on buying exclusives and giving away free games they can certainly add basic functionality to their store.
nobody said adding the feature was expensive or was risky. You misunderstood the post and ignore the context of the post. Spending a shit time of money to hire a bunch of people to get feature parity in order to launch at the time that they want is what’s risky.
In regards to them buying exclusives and giving away free games; you again missed the point from the other post which is that rushing development can be actually be less efficient (and increase risk) of the project.

Brofist

nobody said adding the feature was expensive or was risky. You misunderstood the post and ignore the context of the post. Spending a shit time of money to hire a bunch of people to get feature parity in order to launch at the time that they want is what’s risky.
In regards to them buying exclusives and giving away free games; you again missed the point from the other post which is that rushing development can be actually be less efficient (and increase risk) of the project.
I'm not even talking about complete parity, I'm talking about adding the most basic aspect of a storefront that there can be, it's ridiculous, but keep apologizing for these idiots.

Last edited:

PSYGN

Mike,

Can you make us an amazing trailer for our new shopping cart feature? We are excited about it here!

JB

Hi John,

I would love to. I know you're a busy man but do you have any more details or screenshots on your new feature to help inspire us?

Thanks,
-Mike

Yes. So you know how our competitors and Amazon have a shopping cart at the top. Can you make a video for our shopping cart? Keep it sweet short and simple.

JB

Hi John,

So I'm envisioning a shopping cart icon and an Epic logo on a black background to keep it simple but straight to the point. Maybe some kind of interaction between these elements to make it fun.

-Mike

Perfect. Can we have this by tomorrow morning?

JB

jakinov

I'm not even talking about complete parity, I'm talking about adding the most basic aspect of a storefront that there can be, it's ridiculous, but keep apologizing for these idiots.
You see. you weren't paying attention to the context and chimed in and also misunderstood the actual words in the last post even out of context.

Since you weren't properly following. A cart isn't super high priority feature because people don't generally buy mutliple games at once. They normally buy them one at a time. We're not talking about e-commerce store here where people can buy mutlple things they can likely consume right away or a variety of different type of things; we're talking about a digital store front with expensive items and there's hardly any benefit buying multiple things at once because generally people only play one a game at a time.

Lets look at other digital stores that don't have carts:

Nintendo - eShop
Microsoft - Windows Store
Apple - App Store
Google - GooglePlay

And those stores are doing fine without one because a cart isn't as useful as you think. Even though it's "basic" it doesn't mean it's actually widely useful or important to add .

Top Bottom