• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games Store Will Launch On Mobile Devices

Mista

Banned
Epic-Games-Store-.jpg

Speaking to GameSpot during its Play For All event, Sweeney said:
We’d like to bring the [Epic Games] Store to iOS in the future, and we will bring it to Android. We think it’s a good way to help the industry [move] forward and it’s another way where Epic as a game developer had built up this audience around Fortnite and learned how to operate a distribution platform on PC and Android. Now, as we’ve done with many things from the Unreal Engine to the Epic Online services, we open it up to all other developers to use with their games and are trying to serve the industry and provide a really interesting alternative to the ecosystem.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm kind of okay with this. Mobile platforms desperately need a platform agnostic, curated, premium game service. I assume because of the implications of them selling software on these platforms that they won't be allowed in the Play Store. I wonder how they're going to get around the iOS restrictions?

People clamored for a long time that Steam needed to release an app store on mobile and become the "one place to play stuff" but it never materialized - and thank god because Valve has a terrible track record with mobile apps. As Sweeny said, Epic has all of the Fortnite stuff under their belts so I think it's an interesting proposition.

GHG

Gold Member
Yeah. Seems like Valve released it and just forgot it existed. Same as Steam BPM. Epic isn't messing around though, and I hope they succeed with making achievements more fun.

According to reddit we shouldn't expect achievements until q4 unfortunately.

Interested to see what their mobile app is like although it doesn't make much sense to me considering they still don't have a shopping cart.

Gamezone

Gold Member
According to reddit we shouldn't expect achievements until q4 unfortunately.

Interested to see what their mobile app is like although it doesn't make much sense to me considering they still don't have a shopping cart.

Where on Reddit?

Banned
how are they planning on getting it on iOS exactly?
alternative app stores are not allowed on iOS, iOS is terribly restrictive and they'll never going to allow an app store alternative

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
how are they planning on getting it on iOS exactly?
alternative app stores are not allowed on iOS, iOS is terribly restrictive and they'll never going to allow an app store alternative

Steam store is on iOS? You can also buy games for Xbox trough the Xbox app.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The difference here is that it sounds like Sweeny is trying to make the Epic Game Store on mobile into a platform to purchase and download mobile games on your device. Instead of just being a web portal into your existing platform.

Banned

APP stores, as in downloading apps on your phone.
what steam and xbox apps do is giving you the ability to buy games on PC and Xbox, not on the iPhone.

and Epic wants to make an app store on mobile, most likely to once again distribute Fortnite on their own to get around the 30% cut they would need to pay.

Gamezone

Gold Member
The difference here is that it sounds like Sweeny is trying to make the Epic Game Store on mobile into a platform to purchase and download mobile games on your device. Instead of just being a web portal into your existing platform.

So PC games will run natively of your phone? That would be great, but yeah, forget about Apple on that one. Valve even struggeled with Steam Link on iOS. I think they had to remove the store in order to make it possible. Geforce Now isn't on iOS, and xCloud is limited.

Top Bottom