• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games Store new rating system... and how they already fucked up in every conceivable way.

Daytonabot

Banned
It’s worth noting that anyone who buys but then refunds a game is not eligible to review, so truly broken games will likely benefit the most.

Last edited:
  • Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz

sainraja

they did address it tho, quite splendidly at that.

7mdPzDD.png
OmBupEI.png

It makes sure it doesn't affect the score while at the same time letting players be aware there has been a review bomb, as well as allowing them to read the reviews from the period it happened so you can make your own mind about it.
Wouldn't it be better to prevent it from happening in the first place?
They wouldn't need the disclaimer above if they were able to prevent it from ever happening, don't you think?

I am sure what Epic has implemented will evolve but being able to prevent it from happening and asking those who have purchased the game to rate it, makes sense to me. How often are people going out of their way to review games?
When was the last time you reviewed a game?

Fuz

Banned
But the point is...

WHO FUCKING CARES about review bombing? They usually happen for a reason and they don't affect consumers for the worse.

Publisher and scummy shill press planted this idea on your head that *GASP!* it's the root of all evil, while IT. IS. NOT. AN. ISSUE. FOR. THE. CONSUMER.

I can't fucking believe that the reeeeeee thread is making more sense than some of you guys.

Last edited:

sainraja

That's the thing, though. Valve had no real pressure to improve their platform for close to 15 years, but they did it anyway.

I have no idea why, but somehow none of the other stores meant to compete with Steam ever bothered to mount a serious attempt at reaching feature parity, even though they are backed by multibillion dollar corporations and don't even have to come up with shit on their own. All they have to do is copy what Valve are already doing, but apparently they can't even do that.
Fair enough and I somewhat agree, if there are features that gamers want, then Epic should put some effort behind implementing those.

I have an account with steam and mostly use it to redeem games I get from Humble Bundle; I also have an account with Epic. I haven't used either platform that much feature wise, outside of just launching games from them (lately haven't used a PC at all since I have no monitor to connect it with but anyway); what does steam have still that Epic hasn't followed suit on?

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
But the point is...

WHO FUCKING CARES about review bombing? They usually happen for a reason and they don't affect consumers for the worse.

Publisher and scummy shill press planted this idea on your head that *GASP!* it's the root of all evil, while IT. IS. NOT. AN. ISSUE. FOR. THE. CONSUMER.

I can't fucking believe that the reeeeeee thread is making more sense than some of you guys.
Omg.

outrageous-egregious-preposterous-jackie-chiles.gif

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

They wouldn't need the disclaimer above if they were able to prevent it from ever happening, don't you think?
No? Sometimes review bombs happen for valid reasons, or at least reasons that may matter to me.
This solution both effectively removes negative side effects while still being transparent and informative.

Last edited:

Petopia

Banned

So, instead of going to rate on your own volition, you'll be bothered randomly to score. This would really piss me off, but luckily I already keep away from their pathetic store.
And the system is so smoky that you can't ever be sure it's not tampered with (lol Tim, sure I trust you). Can't even leave a full review.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

Because, for some reason that I REALLY CAN'T IMAGINE, games not out yet are already very positively scored:
PfWoYFf.png

oQt90iy.png

Review bombing is bad guys, mmmkay?
07wnr.gif

Tim is really trying his best to be corporate friendly and anti-consumer.

(I took this from retardera, credit where it's due.)
I don't really care since I don't game on the fortnite only launcher.

kuncol02

Banned
I don't like the sound of that. I can imagine them "randomly" selecting less critical reviewers. Like someone else said - if you bought the game, you should be able to review it. I mean, why would they not allow you that? It's blatantly obvious.
That "random" way of asking for review is already removing from pool people who didn't liked game and stopped playing because how bad it is. It's basically making sure that only people who can review games are people who like them enough to play them.
It's not only anti consumer. It's straight up vile.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Yes I think that's brilliant, now describe the obvious solution that would not negatively effect the ability for people to review a product they have on their account.

Perhaps the account needs a full background check, perhaps by forcing people to sign up with a current passport before being able to post.

The intresting thing is when people say this they always suggest something that would negatively effect and overwhelming majority of reviews on Steam which are not review bombers and just regular people reviewing a product they bought.

Or is there something I'm missing?

Steams not perfect but it needs to balance user friendless, corporate demands and functionality in a single package I think informing the user what is happening is the best solution before restricting peoples ability to leave a review.

Last edited:

sainraja

Yes I think that's brilliant, now describe the obvious solution that would not negatively effect the ability for people to review a product they have on their account.

Perhaps the account needs a full background check, perhaps by forcing people to sign up with a current passport before being able to post.

The intresting thing is when people say this they always suggest something that would negatively effect and overwhelming majority of reviews on Steam which are not review bombers and just regular people reviewing a product they bought.

Or is there something I'm missing?

Steams not perfect but it needs to balance user friendless, corporate demands and functionality in a single package I think informing the user what is happening is the best solution before restricting peoples ability to leave a review.
Epic isn't restricting the ability for people to leave a review. They are just randomly asking those who have bought a game to leave one — I don't think what they are doing is the perfect or THE solution; there needs to be some level of user agency where they can leave a review if they want to, one form that can take is a user who purchases a game, can make a request that takes a day or two to become available or ask any player after they have played a game longer than the 'return window' to rate and review a game or they could allow people to leave a review but have it go through a moderated process (this could be costly).

I think they will take feedback and hopefully find some middle ground. Review bombing is a thing and that is what they are trying to address (like it or not) and they thought this is how they can; I think the process will change or evolve somewhat. My personal opinion is that I don't see a big issue with version 1 of their process knowing how many times I leave reviews but I understand people are different. I believe they will take feedback on how they have implemented their rating system so let's see how it goes.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Epic isn't restricting the ability for people to leave a review. They are just randomly asking those who have bought a game to leave one — I don't think what they are doing is the perfect or THE solution; there needs to be some level of user agency where they can leave a review if they want to, one form that can take is a user who purchases a game, can make a request that takes a day or two to become available or ask any player after they have played a game longer than the 'return window' to rate and review a game or they could allow people to leave a review but have it go through a moderated process (this could be costly).

I think they will take feedback and hopefully find some middle ground. Review bombing is a thing and that is what they are trying to address (like it or not) and they thought this is how they can; I think the process will change or evolve somewhat. My personal opinion is that I don't see a big issue with version 1 of their process knowing how many times I leave reviews but I understand people are different. I believe they will take feedback on how they have implemented their rating system so let's see how it goes.
You are gobbling up Epics barf. They arent trying to adress review bombing. They are trying to make a system where barely anyone will leave negative feedback because of how the system is set up.

lyan

Well to be fair I think it is good to see someone trying to address all those useless 0.1hours negative "Garbage" reviews, give it a few iteration and see how it goes perhaps.

Fuz

Banned
"randomly asking"

I'd bet Evilore's left testicle that the algorithm would keep into consideration the ratio of positive/negative rates when "randomly selecting".

Last edited:

Jeeves

When you're foaming at the mouth every time Epic does something, do you really need to wonder why people look at you like a lunatic?

I don't have strong feelings either way about Epic, but the anti-Epic crowd consistently makes themselves hard to take seriously by presenting themselves with disproportionate levels of outrage and being quick to theorize and jump to conclusions. I'm not even going to deny the possibility of your claims, I'm just saying the more annoying you come off about things, the less people are going to be willing to listen to you.

This is why your thread isn't going the way you wanted.

K2D

Banned
Easy. One star review until they've proven themselves otherwise. Not that I've ever frequented EGS..

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
When you're foaming at the mouth every time Epic does something, do you really need to wonder why people look at you like a lunatic?

I don't have strong feelings either way about Epic, but the anti-Epic crowd consistently makes themselves hard to take seriously by presenting themselves with disproportionate levels of outrage and being quick to theorize and jump to conclusions. I'm not even going to deny the possibility of your claims, I'm just saying the more annoying you come off about things, the less people are going to be willing to listen to you.

This is why your thread isn't going the way you wanted.

Yeah lets all be super sensitive towards Epic thatll show em

ClosBSAS

Lol the amount of ppl defending epic for free games only is astounding..sheeps. admit it, you defend egs for the free games not cause u care about the 30% cut o the client itself. U just want free games. It's sad as fuck.

There is nothing worthy defending egs for.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I don't rate apps/games/netflix/etc anyway, so a non issue for me. It would be nice to have an opt-out option to not get the pop ups at all though.

sainraja

You are gobbling up Epics barf. They arent trying to adress review bombing. They are trying to make a system where barely anyone will leave negative feedback because of how the system is set up.
If you just played a game that you weren't enjoying or you bought a game that you didn't enjoy and based on that activity (of you playing the game), you are selected to leave a review, based on your feelings of the game at that time, you are not going to leave a review that could be considered negative feedback?

Again, I am not saying they have found the best way to do it but I do think that is their goal (perhaps its both but I can't see how they can control the opinion of those they do ask outside of tracking their opinions on other games and trying to establish a character profile of each member they end up asking, and using that information to ask them to leave a review to ensure what they say is positive). I just don't see what Epic will get out of that.

I do think they will need to adjust what they are doing in the future.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
...you gotta be fucking kidding me.

It's the worst immaginable rating system from a consumer standpoint AND the scores are already tampered.
TLoU2 also got 4.5 stars on psn before it was released.

People who bought it could rate it right away.

I don't know if they fixed that though.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's only steam that gets it right.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

The real tragedy is you can't just pick a file folder to place games. Gotta do some finessing. While not hard, just an annoyance that shouldn't be there.

Reactions: Fuz
Top Bottom