• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games is trying to get Sony, Microsoft and even Nintendo first party games on the EGS

llien

..EPIC is following TENCENT's direction...
Yeah, right? They own whopping 40% of the stock after all, right?
Why would they follow fucking Tim Sweeney's direction, when he owns merely 50%+ of the stock?

E for embarrassment.

llien

It's amazing how much money Epic is willing to throw around and yet they couldn't be bothered to invest in their own storefront to improve customer experience.
I don't know about you, guys, I only get to software stores to buy something or download something, if at all (as there are launchers)
Both things work pretty well for me on EPIC's store.

Nintendo is a non-starter :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Microsoft should do whatever it takes to get Game Pass on Steam and then shutdown the Windows 10 store because it's shit anyway. Consumers prefer to buy years old Microsoft games on Steam for $60 then pay $15 for a monthly rental via GPU on Windows.
And that's the reason why MS should not do that - get money from Game Pass and make people pay full price on Steam. Best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

GoG's client OFFICIALLY supports integration with epic's store, so you are relieved from those first world PC gamer "I don't want to install another client" problems
Thats not how it works. You still need an Epic account and to install the client even if you buy EGS games through GOG

Nintendo should buy those clowns and shut them down.
Piss
Sony better decline this.

I'm already quite 100% sure Nintendo will decline this, cause Nintendo has honor, the question is does Sony still has some honor left? Hopefully Jimbo will do what he has to do.
Why? Put Dreams, Destruction All-Stars, Uncharted 1 Remastered, Returnal, and The Last Guardian. And collect the pay check and invest back into dreams and Destruction-All Stars to make them more complete.

Kdad

Yeah, right? They own whopping 40% of the stock after all, right?
Why would they follow fucking Tim Sweeney's direction, when he owns merely 50%+ of the stock?

E for embarrassment.
To think that a partner, that is many times bigger than you, that owns 40% of your company and has a clear history of antagonizing Apple in their home country of China, has no influence on this situation is silly. You pick your dance partners,and Tim has picked Tencent because Tim has seen Tencent wrangle control in a closed market and thinks it can apply in the rest of the world. To deny Tencent is the vector here is to deny reality. It isn't about majority ownership, its about influence of the ownership, and that is Tencent's playbook.

E for embarrassment for sure.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
I'm starting to realize that Tim just wants to monopolize the PC market, with all these deals and emails that are coming out, that he wants deals left and right. Sounds to me that he is just like any rich guy in any industry wants to do. Take everything off the market and make it his own. I'm glad all three companies said no to that deal. But for him to even think for a single second that he would get access to Nintendo games, blows my mind. I gotta admit. Nintendo will never let that happen unless something drastic happens to them where they have to change their projections and that won't happen any time soon as the Nintendo Switch is making big profits for Nintendo. So I don't understand how this moron thinks Nintendo would give in on the EGS.

zcaa0g

Banned
Nintendo wouldn't do that as they would go out if business in the hardware game because everyone has a PC that can run their low budget shit and Nintendo's best looking game, Fast RMX, is an amazing piece of coding work.

llien

You still need an Epic account
How evil of a store that supports SSO from:

zJRPn2g.png

to dare ask you to have an account, so that it can assign games you own to it!
Lvl 99-100 of evil, is my assessment.

llien

To think that a partner, that is many times bigger than you, that owns 40% of your company
A partner, who owns 40% of the company, is several times bigger than you, who owns 50%+ of the company, only if you are imbecilic at math.

Guilty_AI

How evil of a store that supports SSO from:

zJRPn2g.png

to dare ask you to have an account, so that it can assign games you own to it!
Lvl 99-100 of evil, is my assessment.
Dude, you said one thing and i corrected it.
Don't know why you're trying to change goal posts now, but whether i want or not to make an Epic account is a different issue altogether.

Last edited:

laynelane

I don't know about you, guys, I only get to software stores to buy something or download something, if at all (as there are launchers)
Both things work pretty well for me on EPIC's store.

I don't have an Epic account nor a Steam account. I play on console. Store functionality is important to a lot of people, though. With the amount of money Epic pays for exclusivity deals and Fortnite earnings, is a shopping cart really that much to ask for?

Holammer

Nintendo is a non-starter :messenger_tears_of_joy:

And that's the reason why MS should not do that - get money from Game Pass and make people pay full price on Steam. Best of both worlds.
Game Pass on Steam would be a license/rights puzzle, depending on how contacts look and that's probably the reason why it haven't happened (yet). If it's going to happen at all, expect announcement next month during E3 season.
I could actually imagine myself signing up if it was on Steam, because of convenience and all the properties under MS's belt, especially after the Zenimax acquisition.

llien

With the amount of money Epic pays for exclusivity deals and Fortnite earnings, is a shopping cart really that much to ask for?
It is by no means a typical use case for a store in my humble opinion and sounds more like nitpicking something to dislike about it, rather than genuine problem.

Game Pass on Steam would be a license/rights puzzle, depending on how contacts look and that's probably the reason why it haven't happened (yet). If it's going to happen at all, expect announcement next month during E3 season.
It really depends. If XCloud is coming on switch we will see how it is gonna be handled for third parties. There is an example of EA Play on Steam though - it has only EA games.

It is by no means a typical use case for a store in my humble opinion and sounds more like nitpicking something to dislike about it, rather than genuine problem.
Shopping cart is a basic exercise for each store application at school or university. I presume Epic deliberately did not do that - from my experience if you have a shopping cart, you are likely to remove some games from there due to impulse buys. In case of direct purchase you won't be able to remove the game unless refunded.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

The "but you need an account" was what you said.
Yes, you need an account AND their client.

Basically buying EGS stuff from GOG doesn't solve the problems people have with it. Thats what i corrected since you spoke as if buying EGS games from GOG solved everything.

If you wanna argue whether making a new account/download their client is a problem or not, thats another issue altogether.

Last edited:

twerkouting

Banned
Nintendo is an integrated software and hardware company. You're essentially asking them to drop hardware and go software only, AND pay someone else for it..

I'm sorry but this will not happen. Or at least it would be very, very difficult. That integration is literally their most treasured asset..
I'd go one farther and say their integration is essential to their creative efforts. Imagine having to buy yet another controller for your PC/XB/PS so you can use motion control aiming for Splatoon 2. Their novel design philosophies would fall by the wayside leaving them a shadow of what they were.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Connecting games creates better opportunities like cross play, make it happen Epic games.

llien

Basically buying EGS stuff from GOG doesn't solve the problems people have with it. Thats what i corrected since you spoke as if buying EGS games from GOG solved everything.
That was fair enough, it does not solve everything, but it does solve significant part of the problem, namely, having to launch multiple launchers to see your games library.

Kdad

A partner, who owns 40% of the company, is several times bigger than you, who owns 50%+ of the company, only if you are imbecilic at math.
Are you purposely being stunted here?

EPIC value: Approx 29 Billion based on latest funding rounds
Tencent value: 740 Billion and becoming defacto gatekeeper to China's +1 billion population....

Tim has chosen to deal with a company that can shut him out of China and is buying up gaming companies left right and centre (those would be companies that would provide content to EGS) but you think Tim holds the cards and is under zero influence from Tencent. Again, it isn't about ownership %, its about influence.

Okidoke.

Last edited:

FStubbs

I'm starting to realize that Tim just wants to monopolize the PC market, with all these deals and emails that are coming out, that he wants deals left and right. Sounds to me that he is just like any rich guy in any industry wants to do. Take everything off the market and make it his own. I'm glad all three companies said no to that deal. But for him to even think for a single second that he would get access to Nintendo games, blows my mind. I gotta admit. Nintendo will never let that happen unless something drastic happens to them where they have to change their projections and that won't happen any time soon as the Nintendo Switch is making big profits for Nintendo. So I don't understand how this moron thinks Nintendo would give in on the EGS.
Simple. First he asks nicely, then he threatens to withdraw Unreal engine support, then he pulls the end around in Fortnite like he did iOS, and then sues them like he sues Apple, saying he should have a right to install EGS on the platform.

FStubbs

Are you purposely being stunted here?

EPIC value: Approx 29 Billion based on latest funding rounds
Tencent value: 740 Billion and becoming defacto gatekeeper to China's +1 billion population....

Tim has chosen to deal with a company that can shut him out of China and is buying up gaming companies left right and centre (those would be companies that would provide content to EGS) but you think Tim holds the cards and is under zero influence from Tencent. Again, it isn't about ownership %, its about influence.

Okidoke.
That and I'm pretty sure buying that 40% wasn't just out of the blue - that there were considerations and concessions made to get Tencent to agree to such a purchase.

Epic is following the tune of Tencent. Sweeney being anti-walled garden before Tencent simply means he's aligned with Tencent's goals.

brian0057

Banned
Who has more power?

The borderline trillion dollars Chinese behemoth, whose influence expands even in the west, and it's buying companies left and right.
OR
A dude with a piece of paper that says he's the majority shareholder.

Hmmm... what a conundrum.

Derktron

Banned
Simple. First he asks nicely, then he threatens to withdraw Unreal engine support, then he pulls the end around in Fortnite like he did iOS, and then sues them like he sues Apple, saying he should have a right to install EGS on the platform.
Yeah and Apple makes exactly what he is trying to sell, and people will continue to support Apple.

Ascend

I think Sony will go along with this. They sell their hardware at a loss, and they need all the sales they can get.

Nintendo however, is another story. They sell their hardware at a profit and have the most popular franchises in gaming. They are not going to budge.

As for Microsoft... Microsoft would put Game Pass on a toaster if they could. The issue here is that I doubt they want competition to Windows Game Pass. And I doubt anyone is going to use Epic Games Store for this, because there are already quite a few titles that you can buy once on Xbox and play them on both Xbox and Windows PC. There is no incentive to use EGS for this, either for gamers or for Microsoft.

BlackTron

Law of the universe: every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

It may not come right away, but seems like Epic is gonna eventually learn this one the hard way.

Pallas

MS should hostile takeover the shit out of Nintendo. Just to strong arm those idiots into releasing more Metroid and Fatal Frame games.
Please no, Nintendo is unique and that it’s basically a relic of the past in how they operate and there’s nothing wrong with it since it’s successful, they just can’t stop being creative unfortunately. Also pretty sure a hostile takeover from a foreign company would be hard if not nigh impossible because of Japanese laws.

Microsoft should do whatever it takes to get Game Pass on Steam and then shutdown the Windows 10 store because it's shit anyway. Consumers prefer to buy years old Microsoft games on Steam for $60 then pay $15 for a monthly rental via GPU on Windows.
I agree with you, Microsoft games have been really successful on steam. I think a partnership and integration of Xbox and Steam would be interesting as well.

llien

I think Sony will go along with this. They sell their hardware at a loss, and they need all the sales they can get.

Nintendo however, is another story. They sell their hardware at a profit and have the most popular franchises in gaming. They are not going to budge.
On Nintendo front the question is: is there anything to lose?
I.e. are there enough potential PC customers, who would not buy Nintendo console, or prefer PC game to the console version,

Because if not, it's "free monez" for Nintendo, why wouldn't they?

Ascend

On Nintendo front the question is: is there anything to lose?
I.e. are there enough potential PC customers, who would not buy Nintendo console, or prefer PC game to the console version,

Because if not, it's "free monez" for Nintendo, why wouldn't they?
I doubt Nintendo would want to risk losing hardware sales. They know that Mario and Pokemon sell consoles. If Breath of the Wild was on PC, do you think the Switch would have sold nearly as much...? It's why they have been reluctant to release those games on any platform. Lately they have been releasing Pokemon games for mobile, but, those are ALWAYS spin-offs and never the main thing. They look more like attempts at bringing more people into Pokemon so that people buy their hardware. They know that if they release those franchises on other platforms like the PC, it is basically the killing of their own hardware sales, which in their case is throwing away profits. And their software sales for those games are good; better than anything on Xbox and PlayStation.

Another important factor is that Nintendo is always doing some weird shenanigans, both in hardware and in software. Sony and Microsoft consoles are quite close to a PC, both in hardware and in software, which makes porting relatively simple. Nintendo's hardware and games are a bit more exotic. Nintendo is very family focused in general, and a PC is pretty much an isolation device. Sure, you can play online with others, but playing locally with friends on a PC is simply not a feature and has not been for quite a while. Even Xbox and PlayStation are quite isolating. PlayStation exclusives mostly focus on single player. That method of gameplay fits nicely on a PC as well.
Even though Xbox and PlayStation support multiple controllers for local play, their games simply do not push family interaction in the home the way Nintendo does. Look at how Nintendo advertised the Switch, and how Sony and Microsoft advertise their consoles. Nintendo focuses on interactions with others, while the others focus on shiny graphics.
With 3rd party support improving, Nintendo's consoles can also give a gameplay experience like Xbox and PlayStation, but nobody is buying a Switch to play Skyrim. They bought the Switch for Mario, Zelda or Pokemon. They buy Skyrim on the Switch because they already own the Switch and might as well buy it there rather than getting yet another console.

Nintendo is really the only company as of now, where people actually still buy the console primarily because of the exclusives. People love to brag about PlayStation exclusives, but in reality, they don't really sell so much. Take a look at this list;

What do you see? In the top 35 games there are only two types of games. Multiplatform games, and Nintendo exclusives.
At #36 you get the first Xbox exclusive, which was Kinect Adventures for the Xbox 360. That was probably bundled with consoles so, that might not even count.
The first and only PlayStation exclusives arrive at number 49, at a draw with GTA Vice City and The Sims 4. The two PlayStation games at that spot are The Last of Us and Marvel's Spider-Man. Interestingly, both those games were released on two consoles; The former on the PS3 and PS4, and the latter on the PS4 and PS5.
And then you have something like Nintendogs, only released on the Nintendo DS, wiping the floor with all those games. Nintendogs is something that would not have worked on PC at the time.
Pokémon Sword & Shield, released in November 2019, and released only on the Switch, outsold Marvel's Spiderman, which was released on both PS4 and PS5 and has been around a year longer. And that's still a far cry from Animal Crossings, the best selling game on the Switch.

You go down that list, and almost every Nintendo console and handheld is in that list, except the SNES and the Gamecube. Even the Switch, which hasn't been out that long, is in it (the Wii U is in it because of the games ported to the Switch). Nintendo is stand-alone and doesn't need anything or anyone to survive. Working with EGS is more a headache and liability than anything else for them.

Xbox and PlayStation are pretty much nowhere to be found in that list as previously mentioned. But... The difference between Xbox and Sony is that Xbox has realized some time ago that they can't get sales like Nintendo on their consoles with exclusives (they definitely tried with Kinect), so they might as well focus on multiplatforms and ultimately include the PC. That's why the X360 had other strengths than exclusives. They knew they couldn't compete with big names, so they thrived on sales from 3rd party titles, and there is nothing wrong with that. Their push for Kinect on the Xbox One was an attempt to cut into Nintendo's market share with unique exclusives for the family, which failed. So they changed focus and are now treating PC and Xbox as one platform, as much as possible. Their business strategy is sound, and they don't need EGS for it.

Sony is another story. They are a bit slower to adapt, but they are now also slowly but surely including PC to increase the sales figures. They didn't release older exclusives on there for nothing. They were gauging what the interest is in their games from the PC gamers. But they don't have a PC platform like Windows, which Microsoft and thus Xbox does. They are actually more dependent on something like the Epic Games Store to release their games. They could release their own platform for Windows, but that is costly and risky. Sony is the one in the worst situation of the three, which is why Sony is the most likely to go in bed with EGS.

Gamezone

Gold Member
He still hasn't implemented a shopping cart but he thinks he can get Nintendo games.

They barely implemented anything. I think the store had user profiles, achievements and shopping cart originally set for late 2018. A shopping cart can be implemented by any ten year old who's creating he's first online store.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
So Phil is meeting with Gabe? If sony is in bed with epic, so is M$ with steam
I don't know, being in bed while been paid is prostitution. We know Sony is a slut being paid with epic money, but do we know that Gabe is Phils sugar daddy?

Also, pretty neat changing the "S" in MS with a dollar sign. Never seen that before, and it's not platform warrish or childish at all.

harmny

Banned
I don't know, being in bed while been paid is prostitution. We know Sony is a slut being paid with epic money, but do we know that Gabe is Phils sugar daddy?

Also, pretty neat changing the "S" in MS with a dollar sign. Never seen that before, and it's not platform warrish or childish at all.

Last I knew it was sony who paid epic

Ten_Fold

Nintendo? LOL hell no. That won’t probably ever happen, now Sony will do it, but maybe not new releases. Microsoft got gamepass I kinda doubt it.

Top Bottom