• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games is trying to get Sony, Microsoft and even Nintendo first party games on the EGS

brian0057

Banned
I don't get this line of thinking. He wants to break into a hyper competitive field and uses any and every weapon at his disposal to be successful. How is it any different from Sony or Microsoft playing dirty with exclusives and buyouts?
If this was a race, everyone would be elbowing each other on the ribs except for Epic who are trying to kneecap the rest with a baseball bat.

Last edited:
Nintendo:

tenor.gif

I don't think they're even aware that online game stores are a thing.

Rolla

Banned
Except it has been Sony investing in Epic. No way Epic buys out Sony exclusive with the same amount of money Sony recently gave Epic.

Investing in a company and licensing out your own IP are not one and the same. Disney partnered with Sony on games and still negotiate with Sony to bring movies to their service.

Sentenza

Any guesses what the 4-6 titles are? I assume those are coming to PC regardless and Epic wants them exclusively on EGS.
Probably the same any "leaker" under the sun has been listing for months?
Aside from Horizon and Days Gone already released and announced (respectively), there would be Uncharted Collection, Bloodborne, God of War, Ghost of Tsu-something and The Last Guardian.
This, as the "first wave", with eventual other being discussed at a later date.
I'd personally love to see Shadow of the Colossus, but no one mentioned it so far, so I'm not too optimist about it.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nintendo is an integrated software and hardware company. You're essentially asking them to drop hardware and go software only, AND pay someone else for it..

I'm sorry but this will not happen. Or at least it would be very, very difficult. That integration is literally their most treasured asset..

Last edited:

SSfox

Leaks keep raining this week following Epic vs Apple lawsuit

Tim_Sweeney_thumb.jpg

This one is pretty much self explanatory:

unknown.png

As you can see, Epic has offered Sony $200 million for bringing 4 to 6 first-party games to PC (probably as EGS exclusives)
Epic Games is currently awaiting the response from Sony
Finally, Phil meeting with Gabe... that's interesting

Source

Sony better decline this.

I'm already quite 100% sure Nintendo will decline this, cause Nintendo has honor, the question is does Sony still has some honor left? Hopefully Jimbo will do what he has to do.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's all fine and good but I am really stubborn and don't want to install it. Steam is my library... And origin for battlefield

NinjaBoiX

I have no idea what’s going on with this lawsuit at this point, I don’t have the time to keep up. I also don’t really have a flag stabbed in the respective soil for either camp other than feeling like that on the face of it, Epic broke T&C’s and are therefore technically in the wrong on the face of it?

But I also fully appreciate that these are the battlegrounds on which new laws are forged so I won’t pretend to have any substantial input on the topic (from this point on, sometimes things aren’t what they seem on the surface).

But regardless, I feel like there are going to be huge ramifications on the industry, come what may.

Let’s see how this proverbial cookie crumbles...

SSfox

At least so far, they already did.
That's why Days Gone is releasing on Steam in few days while this was a deal attempted in Autumn 2020.
It's disappointing that they released Horizon and Dayz Gone on PC, i won't buy Horizon 2 until the game will go on huge sold for 10 bucks or something.

"honor" lol

fvGIbok.jpg

If they keep doing PC ports they will lose more than they will win in the long run.

Last edited:

Juza

Microsoft should do whatever it takes to get Game Pass on Steam and then shutdown the Windows 10 store because it's shit anyway. Consumers prefer to buy years old Microsoft games on Steam for $60 then pay $15 for a monthly rental via GPU on Windows.
I purchased every Microsoft title on Steam at full price just to avoid using Windows Store!

If the Game Pass lands on Steam that would be huge for me!

Guilty_AI

The only disappointing thing about releasing them on PC is that they are two games I don't give a shit about.
yeah, played Days Gone recently since it was free on the ps+ and i can't believe there are people who think that chore/poor mileage bike simulator is anything above average.

Banned
well Microsoft games coming to the Epic Store is not far fetched. they are on Steam already and Epic is not far from that in terms of publishing possibilities

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Investing in a company and licensing out your own IP are not one and the same. Disney partnered with Sony on games and still negotiate with Sony to bring movies to their service.
Okay? I don't think Sony invest 200 mill and then only expects that same amount to license 4 of their first party titles to Epic game store. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Love Tim Sweeney.

If it wasnt for him, we'd never know Epic is offering about $40M per Sony game and Spencer is chatting with Gabe. And somehow he knows and is willing to say they chat occasionally, so he's even divulging frequency to an extent.

Bean spiller extraordinaire!

More please!

One thing about Tim, never tell the guy any confidential information. He'll eventually go all out and tell the world based on self interests.

Last edited:

Holammer

It's amazing how much money Epic is willing to throw around and yet they couldn't be bothered to invest in their own storefront to improve customer experience.
It's an open secret that Epic are planning to go public with an IPO. Their spending strategy makes more sense with that in mind.
... and as I write this it hit me, wonder how much they paid or what sort of deals they made with Disney for all the super hero/star wars promotion stuff in Fortnite? Maybe we'll know soon.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I will forever champion the EGS if they can get Nintendo to budge on putting their games on PC.

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF
If only they didn't sell hardware at a profit then maybe. It would be fucking awesome. Same for Sony. Fuck consoles and having to pay 800 or so every cycle just to get those exclusives. As if GPU prices weren't high enough.

CitizenZ

Banned
Epic spent $143 million for JUST 6 months of BLs 3 exclusivity to earn a measly 9 million profit they could have earned without the deal. Steam waited 6 months, took 30% and probably earned that 9 million in a month, maybe days, and guess who had the better version?

CitizenZ

Banned
It's an open secret that Epic are planning to go public with an IPO. Their spending strategy makes more sense with that in mind.
... and as I write this it hit me, wonder how much they paid or what sort of deals they made with Disney for all the super hero/star wars promotion stuff in Fortnite? Maybe we'll know soon.

No way is that true unless they are looking to do what I have always said, you can use the engine(for free BTW), but the first yr will be strictly HERE on EGS.

Tomeru

200mil is like 30ish million copies sold. Plus the potential sales from egs (I honestly have no idea whats the potential there). It sounds like a good deal though. I hope Sony brings the right game (bb) if they go through it.

Denton

200M seems very enticing considering the games Sony wants to get on PC already peaked and they get 88% on top of that.
Minimum guarantee means that you get paid upfront, but then all sales form your game go to Epic until it recoups that minimum guarantee.

What is hilarious is that some games sell so badly on EGS that they never reach it, so the developers after releasing on steam pretend EGS does not exist in order to actually get paid.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Sony better decline this.

I'm already quite 100% sure Nintendo will decline this, cause Nintendo has honor, the question is does Sony still has some honor left? Hopefully Jimbo will do what he has to do.
The fact that they are listening to offers rather than declining to negotiate suggests to me that it’s just a question of ‘how much’.

Which is a shame to me, I’d rather they launched on Steam or PS used their own client with full trophy integration etc (not sure if this is possible via linking PSN account with Epic?).

Fredrik

Thank the maker the latter two are on Steam as well. I'd absolutely hate to have God of War or Uncharted exclusive to Epic's store.
Epic are greedy slimy pigs but I will still applaude it if they manage to get PS exclusives to PC.

Fredrik

I'd like to see MS and Valve talks to be about SteamVR on Xbox, would be a more interesting turn of events if you could plug any pcvr hmd into your xbox than gamepass on steam.
Yeah MS needs to wake up on VR now, Skyrim VR through Oculus Quest 2 without cables is a total game changer, and now MS owns Bethesda.
Wireless Oculus Quest 2 on Xbox Series X, this is the way.

Nintendo would make their own store/launcher.
Yes. And make it usable on PC only with some sort of Nintendo exclusive peripheral like a controller. That somehow reads/scans magic collectible Nintendo cards of which 10 or 20 get released every single month (and you don't want to miss out on those). Oh and playing online on Nintendos PC storefront costs extra, monthly fee required and so on. Just you wait for the cardboard addon to the storefront so you can enjoy Nintendos version of VR on PC, too.

Last edited:

llien

The point of 1st party console games getting to PC was "it's moar monez".
If so, the logic would apply to Nintendo.
As it would be only timed exclusive, the only party that could lose anything is EPIC.

Why would Microsoft agree to this when they are essentially in a bidding war for the same third party content.
I suspect the angle here is only against Valve/Steam.

EPIC needs to take on Steam, and is ready to pay for that.

Top Bottom