• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney praises Valve ‘amazing move’ making Steam Deck an open platform

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Sweeney took to Twitter to share his initial reaction to the device, and it was a positive one.

His praise for the Steam Deck appears to be based on Valve’s decision to make the handheld an open platform, allowing users to install software and operating systems other than Valve’s own in-house offerings.

This means players could theoretically play Xbox Game Pass games or, indeed, games on the Epic Games Store.

GHG

Gold Member
Well of course because it means that people can still use the epic games store on the device.

But seriously how much of a salty bonehead do you have to be to hate this device? Hopefully it sparks a whole new category of handheld gaming PC's that can play games natively at a decent standard. Because right now other than Nintendo everyone else seems to want to funnel everyone towards streaming if they want any form of practical portability.

MrFunSocks

Banned

Sweeney took to Twitter to share his initial reaction to the device, and it was a positive one.

His praise for the Steam Deck appears to be based on Valve’s decision to make the handheld an open platform, allowing users to install software and operating systems other than Valve’s own in-house offerings.

This means players could theoretically play Xbox Game Pass games or, indeed, games on the Epic Games Store.

I don't know why people are saying things like "theoretically you can play" such and such - they straight up said it from minute 1 that you can install anything you can on a pc, even a new OS.

It's a computer, of course it's as open as any other computer.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
I don't know why people are saying things like "theoretically you can play" such and such - they straight up said it from minute 1 that you can install anything you can on a pc, even a new OS.

It's a computer, of course it's as open as any other computer.
Series 12 Thirteenth Doctor GIF by Doctor Who

Steam Deck being fully open is definitely a big factor into me pre-ordering it. We should have open platforms but at the same time I’m still miffed at him trying to force a closed platform to be open. Don’t turn a wife into a whore unless she wants to be a whore.

reinking

Gold Member
Hopefully it sparks a whole new category of handheld gaming PC's that can play games natively at a decent standard.
Right there with you on this. I was ready to jump on this but feel I would want just a but more power. I am sure it is a great machine but I feel this model would just become an emulation machine for me. I'm down for gen 2 or competitors though.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG

Fredrik

Sounds like PR. Like he just want people to know they could install Windows and Epic Games Store.

And he’s probably fishing for Microsoft to take the plunge and install Windows 11 on Xbox to open it up. Would mean Epic Games Store on Xbox, and more money for Tim.

But that would be awesome to be honest. I don’t get why Microsoft isn’t doing that, it’s their OS, and it would put Steam on Xbox, and Horizon Zero Dawn, and Epic, and Kena, etc.

reksveks

But that would be awesome to be honest. I don’t get why Microsoft isn’t doing that, it’s their OS, and it would put Steam on Xbox, and Horizon Zero Dawn, and Epic, and Kena, etc.
Cause it probably won't sell much more hw and they will probably weaken the platform. Its all about the store and the cut.

reksveks

Sure he will, but he seems to forget that Valve don't clasify it as a "console" but as a "computer", which won't help Epic cases against closed platform owners
There is competition in the pc distribution space (just the competition isn't particularly great), there is competition in the console space (look at all the exclusives and indie programs), there isn't really competition in the mobile phone space. Google are just now implementing the anti-steering rules that devs have been complaining about on ios.

Fredrik

Cause it probably won't sell much more hw and they will probably weaken the platform. Its all about the store and the cut.
Hmm I realize I didn’t think that through lol, you’re 100% right, it would be like on PC where the majority buy games on Steam instead of Microsoft Store.

I was ready to jump on this but feel I would want just a but more power. I am sure it is a great machine but I feel this model would just become an emulation machine for me. I'm down for gen 2 or competitors though.

True portable would offer this sort of power only, compared to current desktop parts.

Get a rtx 3050 based laptop if you want transportable option for a little extra $s.

Kataploom

Gold Member
There is competition in the pc distribution space (just the competition isn't particularly great), there is competition in the console space (look at all the exclusives and indie programs), there isn't really competition in the mobile phone space. Google are just now implementing the anti-steering rules that devs have been complaining about on ios.
What does the indies and exclusives programs have to do competition in the same context that Epic sued Apple? Consoles are just as closed Apple with their iPhones.

I like that Steam Deck is open btw, that means I can start considering getting one of those instead of a phone or table as my main handheld. Phones only for calls and obligatory WhatsApp. I'd rathar have a thing with no mics or cameras tbh.

reksveks

What does the indies and exclusives programs have to do competition in the same context that Epic sued Apple? Consoles are just as closed Apple with their iPhones.
The reason that epic is complain about ios and android is cause the consumers and devs are effectively a captive (that's their assumption) audience and therefore those two companies don't feel any market pressure that prevent them from applying rules that stifle competition (aka tile) or cause 'consumer harm' .

Consoles (ignoring for the fact they are sold at a loss) are very actively competing for devs and audience.

An industry with a number of closed platform competing with each other is very different than a market with two (whom effectively have the same policies).

Install windows. Install epic. Done.

I know you can install windows on it.
Doesn't mean we shouldn't point out how hypocritical his comment is when he is praising others for being open while doing nothing for it in the store he is running.

Ozzie666

So what exactly is Valve's business plan here. They are probably losing money on the hard ware. Is it just a matter of expanding their Steam ecosystem and hope for profits from new potential buyers? Obviously Epic store, and all other stores are going to be available, probably even game pass. Potentially Valve is going to miss a lot of potential profits from micro transactions and digital currencies. It's an interesting concept being an extension of PC gaming, but will it be worth it.

Fredrik

So what exactly is Valve's business plan here. They are probably losing money on the hard ware. Is it just a matter of expanding their Steam ecosystem and hope for profits from new potential buyers? Obviously Epic store, and all other stores are going to be available, probably even game pass. Potentially Valve is going to miss a lot of potential profits from micro transactions and digital currencies. It's an interesting concept being an extension of PC gaming, but will it be worth it.
Yeah I definitely think it’s about expanding the Steam ecosystem. They have a ton of cash so I doubt they think about if it’s worth it or not, they can afford a failure. They probably just looked at the Switch popularity and thought ” - Hmm maybe we could do something cool in that space? ”

brian0057

Banned
I honestly wanna know what people find so appealing about this device.

> "It's a full-fledge PC. You can install anything you want on it."

You can also do that in a laptop.

> "It's the ergonomics. You have to carry an XBOX or PS controller with a laptop if you wanna use one on the go."

And that's less convenient than carrying around a mouse and a keyboard if you wanna do literally anything other than gaming?

> "It's $400. No laptop that can game will be that cheap."

A laptop with a Ryzen 3 APU for $450 can do a decent job when gaming If you drop in-game settings.
It can also do more than just gaming. You know? The thing that makes portable PCs so useful that not even tablets with keyboard and trackpad covers can replace?

> "It's a Switch that plays your entire Steam library. How's that not exciting?"

It offers literally no advantage over just taking a laptop and a controller with you. In fact, it's even less useful.
It's neat. But unless all you do with it is exclusively gaming, it's a machine for those that think a laptop is just too convenient and useful.

> "It's the ergonomics. You have to carry an XBOX or PS controller with a laptop if you wanna use one on the go."

And that's less convenient than carrying around a mouse and a keyboard if you wanna do literally anything other than gaming?

A laptop with a Ryzen 3 APU for $450 can do a decent job when gaming If you drop in-game settings.
It can also do more than just gaming. You know? The thing that makes portable PCs so useful that not even tablets with keyboard and trackpad covers can replace?

> "It's a Switch that plays your entire Steam library. How's that not exciting?"

It offers literally no advantage over just taking a laptop and a controller with you. In fact, it's even less useful.
It's neat. But unless all you do with it is exclusively gaming, it's a machine for those that think a laptop is just too convenient and useful.
Yours is the same mindset that the people that thought the Switch was DOA because of all the smartphones and tablets had.
Granted, the Switch has more going for it than the form-factor, so the Steam Deck has a much steeper uphill battle to fight, but it could well substitute exclusive killer app games with some good old-fashioned features instead.

I'll go over your points.

> You can also do that in a laptop.
And you can do it with on a tablet. Tablet PCs running Windows exist (I'm using one at the moment), and objectively they're nothing but truncated laptops with a touchscreen - yet somehow they coexist.

> And that's less convenient than carrying around a mouse and a keyboard if you wanna do literally anything other than gaming?
Objectively? Yes. A laptop with all its paraphernalia is already a hefty thing to carry around. One of my eternal struggles was finding a gamepad for my laptop that I could actually fit into the thing's carrying case without tripling its thickness, and without jamming the protruding analog sticks on the gamepad so it doesn't meet an untimely demise. Compared to that, a slim bluetooth keyboard/trackpad combo, or even a slim bluetooth keyboard and mouse set, will combine far better with the Deck's carry case.
Plus, again - tablets. Tablets somehow work for productivity even without keyboards and mice. It's not ideal, obviously, but browsing the web and watching videos is not going to be any harder on the Deck as it would be on a tablet - or a TV with a set-top box and controller.

> A laptop with a Ryzen 3 APU for $450 can do a decent job when gaming If you drop in-game settings.
And how much larger will that laptop be? How much heavier? How much harder to play games with on the go, especially without searing a hole in your pants with the bottom of the laptop? Price is always a tradeoff with portability. Desktops are cheapest, laptops cost more, tablets cost even more for comparable specs. You're looking at a gaming UMPC and lamenting the price compared to a laptop?

> It offers literally no advantage over just taking a laptop and a controller with you. In fact, it's even less useful.
For productivity? Sure. Smaller screen, fewer controls, need for more accessories to properly do work.
For gaming? Excellent controls, streamlined UI, ability to play regardless of having a surface to put the device on (be it a table or your legs), far better ergonomics for long play sessions.
For entertainment in general? Same deal, fully featured with no detriment in any capacity, and much more compact and easy to carry around.

Compared to a tablet, it's just a little smaller screen size than usual, a good deal cheaper than you can find with anywhere near the same specs, and comes with integrated controls and a full PC suite under the hood. Gaming PC handhelds were always attractive, the problem always was the cost to power ratio. Valve solved it.

>It's neat. But unless all you do with it is exclusively gaming, it's a machine for those that think a laptop is just too convenient and useful.
It's a machine for those that think a laptop is just too cumbersome and restrictive. There's a reason why I went for the Samsung ATIV tablet hybrid I use now, despite already having a more powerful laptop. Smaller, handier, packing more features. So what if I have to fumble with the keyboard dock to do any serious typing? I can actually pull this thing out of the bag on a bus ride and check the news, or watch Youtube. The integrated Wacom digitizer that lets me draw and not have to carry the Intuos around is also a welcome bonus. A laptop would never give me this sort of functionality. I'd imagine the Deck is the same thing - just for gaming, rather than extra work features.

recursive

Why so many people in these Steam Deck threads trying to convince people not to buy one? Is Nintendo out in force?

SkylineRKR

I have a Ryzen 7 laptop but I would rather play games on the Steam Deck. Not that I buy one, not sure yet, but the form factor is better than a laptop, you still need to place that on a desk or table. I can also play GP via cloud on the S5 tablet, by connecting my Xbox controller, but the steam deck would still be more convenient.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
Antumbra - Vile Shards, adventure, point and click, horror, surreal, puzzle, story rich, best game, Visual Novel, Psychological, choices matters, chose your own adventure, survival, strategy, action, sniper, I am running out of ideas lol, real time strategy, logic, fps, shooter, yo mamas fat

I like open platforms like many, but shit like this should be wiped.

Amiga

Activision, EA, Ubisof and others could have their own stores her. they would be dumb not to.

Top Bottom