• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games calls PS5 a "masterpiece of systems design"

That is a master piece
250px-Sega-CD-Model1-Set.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
UE seems really good so I would mind however Sony likes to have their in house engines to like décima although tht is being shared as well. If thy build it thy know how to use it to the best of their abilities hence we get those gorgeous games some cabt believe (not to say other engines don't create gorgeous games too).

Yeah, I don't mind UE. Just with Sony having their ICE team and also custom engines - the retraining alone seems a big deal. Plus it's not like the engines Sony studio's are showing any signs of age or being unable to cope. I wonder if it's a long term ploy with Lumens and Nanite in mind? Turning heads.

1440p/30 fps for an empty level, that’s what epic showed.

Anyway at least this time we will not have to go through the lazy devs rethoric every time the XSX destroys the ps5 in digital foundry videos like we had to, for almost 10 years, in the ps3/xbox360 era since the ps5 is so amazing and easy to develop for,.

Same thing for the tiny XSX :LOL:? You can hardly make the point you want to make without shooting yourself in the foot here...
XSX isn't tiny, but it's smaller and more compact. XSX doesn't have alarming high clocks. XSX clocks are actually very conservative. So heating issues would be more of a concern for sony, hence the variable clocks. That's the point i'm getting at.

No foot was shot.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:
If Velocity Architecture is something along the lines of Smart Delivery, XSX is mostly a brute force machine.

Meanwhile the ps5, with the dual sense features, on-chip bottleneck killers, ssd speed, and variable clocks, is definitely a league above xsx in terms of design.

That is undeniable.

Brute Force? Please define Brute Force.

Microsoft hasn't Brute Force Xbox Series X, its has sustained clocks and its under NDA.
Sony Brute Force the PS5 by overclocking the GPU and CPU.

Last edited:
Didn't Jeff Grubb and Jason Shreier both say the developers they spoke to prefer the PS5 over the Series X?

Then we had that tweet from a Ready at Dawn founder calling the PS5 the most revolutionary console in the last 20 years.

Maybe the thing is just... impressive?
Or maybe we should let games do the talking? When they're out we'll see what the real deal is. Those dick-waving contests on unreleased machines are pointless.

longdi

Banned
In an interview with CVG, Epic Games vice president Mark Rein called Sony's upcoming PlayStation 4 console "a really perfect gaming PC" and praised the platform holder for making things easier for developers.

"I think it's a very smart move on Sony's behalf to build this sort of enhanced PC architecture and then put so much in it," Rein told CVG. "The kind of stuff that they announced that they're doing, the level of convenience and things like that... they're making a really perfect gaming PC."

Rein seemed very excited by the PlayStation 4's 8 GB of GDDR5 memory and the console's digital download options.

"Let's not forget it has 16 times the memory we had in PlayStation 3 - that's not insignificant. Knowing that every machine has that we can do crazy, ridiculous stuff," he explained. "The other exciting thing is that Windows for most people is tied to about 2 GB of addressable memory space. This really opens up beyond what most PCs can do, because most PCs are running a 32-bit version of Windows."

:messenger_tears_of_joy: shitty jaguar cores when i was on a 3930K at 4.5Ghz

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Didn't Jeff Grubb and Jason Shreier both say the developers they spoke to prefer the PS5 over the Series X?

Then we had that tweet from a Ready at Dawn founder calling the PS5 the most revolutionary console in the last 20 years.

Maybe the thing is just... impressive?
NO.
How can they prefer an inferior piece of crap that can't even output 60fps while the competition will offer 8k/120fps??
No...
THEY ARE ALL PAID BY SONY!!!:messenger_pouting:

mckmas8808

Banned
Awesome. Enjoy missing out on current games while dribbling about the next blockbuster thats 2 years away from releasing and disappointing you.

What does this mean? How does me being excited about a game that's coming out 2 years from now stop me from enjoying CyberPunk 2077 and Spiderman-Myles Morales at the PS5's launch?

Astral Dog

This is not working on me, and coming from Epic still no effect.

Singing the praises of this machine feels like overcompensating when the specs sheet does not match up. They are taking the complex narrative to say this is the better machine when it could have been easier if they had the higher specs they would have done it differently.

Not saying Epic is just lying to support a hardware partner but the more flowery the words the harder it is to sell me on something.
Everything they are saying could be true this could be the best gaming machine ever created, we will find out soon enough.

I've been a Nintendo fan too long I know how they try to make their lower specs machine feel like it does a different kind of magic. "So easy to develop for..."
Kinda weird that Sony has to be placed in this position of overselling the hardware to prove they went the right direction. Normally it would be a much easier sell.

Keep focused on the games that will work on me.
At the end of the day I am more likely to get a PS5 than and XSX may end up getting both.
I think they are right in focusing on the positive stuff because there is actually plenty of it, Nintendo just ignores the topic.

For example the SSD on PS5 makes game development easier and its a cool piece of tech, the machine itself is powerful (though not as much as XSX), its Audio capabilities and controller gimmicks are fun etc.

If that makes PS5 a better gaming machine than Xbox Series X its another question entirely, my guess is that no, the Series X still has some important advantages over the playstation, but PS5 is a cool machine and its exclusives already make the Xbox look a little worse

LETS GOOOO! Another day, another ounce of hype added to my brain. Can't wait to play AC Valhalla, CyberPunk, and Spiderman on launch.

Gamernyc78

Banned
The Sony loyalist are the ones touting it and Epic feeds this through implication ("months of discussion with Sony"). Epic could end the debate by simply releasing the usage numbers or by demoing it on high end PC.

Your bullshitting, Sony loyalists aren't saying tht l, how many times do ppl have to comment? Take tht pseudo agenda bs elsewhere. Only thing most Sony fans are sayingggggg is, it is an engine tht is Middleware and will be used on all consoles however that demo may not look as good or be the same considering it harnesses Sony's ssd solution and we all know Sony's SSD solution is above and beyond Microsoft's (fact no matter how ppl try to spin it) or anything out there for tht matter. Xsx could have the same demo but the assets may not stream or look as good. We don't know, ppl are just deducting based off ssd power in ps5 and what Sweeny himself is saying.

I hate when you have ppl twisting shit. I hardly ever see anyone saying tht UE5 is only possible on PS5 we are fucking enthusiasts in this site only the Cult of mistermedia x and his green followers spew bs like tht e.g. No RT in ps5 lol its not RDNA 2, etc lol

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It really does sound like an amazing piece of kit.

I still have trouble believing all that I/O will be leveraged for much more than instant load times / fast travel though (or "quickly switching worlds" stuff.. but I find that kinda gimicky). Detail will be limited by what's reasonable for a game size (even taking into account compression advancements and things like removing duplicate assets.)

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Epic Games' VP of engineering Nick Penwarden has called the PS5 a "masterpiece of systems design", after working with the console's dev kit to help create last month's jaw-dropping Unreal Engine 5 tech demo.

"The PlayStation 5 is a masterpiece of systems design," says Penwarden. "Not only is it driving a huge leap in computing and graphics performance, but it is also revolutionary in terms of storage and data compression technology, unlocking new kinds of games and experiences for players to enjoy."

More at source

Que no sea mamon.

Penwarden Dont want a blowjob for Sony too?
The best designe always wll be Ps2, PC, Super Nintendo, Dreamcast.

Last edited:

Banned
they also were "super excited" about the PS4's hardware. and let's be honest, current gen systems were absolute pieces of trash.
unbelievably bad CPUs, and GPUs that were not only about 20 months on the market already, but were mid range when they released AND gimped down further for the console variants.

so... anyone who listens to Epic Games about how great they think a certain system is, is absolutely beyond naive 🤣🤣

Last edited:

Dr Bass

This is not working on me, and coming from Epic still no effect.

Singing the praises of this machine feels like overcompensating when the specs sheet does not match up. They are taking the complex narrative to say this is the better machine when it could have been easier if they had the higher specs they would have done it differently.

Not saying Epic is just lying to support a hardware partner but the more flowery the words the harder it is to sell me on something.
Everything they are saying could be true this could be the best gaming machine ever created, we will find out soon enough.

I've been a Nintendo fan too long I know how they try to make their lower specs machine feel like it does a different kind of magic. "So easy to develop for..."
Kinda weird that Sony has to be placed in this position of overselling the hardware to prove they went the right direction. Normally it would be a much easier sell.

Keep focused on the games that will work on me.
At the end of the day I am more likely to get a PS5 than and XSX may end up getting both.

DId you not see the UE5 tech demo running on PS5? I mean this with all due respect, but like many others on this board you have no clue what you're talking about or what you're looking at.

It's a shame people still don't understand what that thing was showing. They even pretty clearly explained it. The SSD speed enabled them to basically use their all new technology to load "uncompressed cinema quality assets with no LODs" directly into the frame buffer/GPU memory. The amount of data that needs to be loaded to achieve this is so large it needs the performance enabled by the PS5, and it also depends on how the data is then loaded into memory. It's not an evolution of a standard setup it's a new thing. I believe they mentioned even rendering the scene using 3 million flat shaded polygons (one per pixel), which is such a brilliant idea in hindsight. The main graphics engineer for Epic said on Twitter that they've been working on this tech for a decade. Again, I repeat, It's not a standard game engine rendering setup. This is why so many people are either not getting it or being willfully ignorant.

Sweeney straight up said the demo would not be possible without PS5s SSD.

BTW do you think the company that brought Gears to the 360 and sold the IP to Microsoft, prefers the PC, and publishes everywhere is in bed with Sony? Think about that statement.

Epic goes where the tech is. Period.

they also were "super excited" about the PS4's hardware. and let's be honest, current gen systems were absolute pieces of trash.
unbelievably bad CPUs, and GPUs that were not only about 20 months on the market already, but were mid range when they released AND gimped down further for the console variants.

so... anyone who listens to Epic Games about how great they think a certain system is, is absolutely beyond naive 🤣🤣

Yes, anyone listening to some of the smartest graphics engineers on the planet is "naive." But we should listen to random console fans who don't do any software or hardware engineering, but know how to look at marketing spec sheets. Phew, silly me.

Last edited:

martino

plz put them on
203648.gif

Krisprolls

Banned

This gen system weren't trash at all, otherwise you couldn't have gems like TLOU 2 running well on a base PS4 8 years later.

Nvidia still makes the fastest gaming GPUs out there. They're not lacking for praise, be it from developers or others.

What most people don't seem to realize is that the UE5 tech demo was... a tech demo. I've said it since the very beginning: PS5 games won't look like that. You won't be seeing games with Quixel textures meant for movie productions and hundreds of assets pulled straight out of Zbrush. It's just not feasible in an actual game. The spate of PS5 trailers Sony released earlier this month more or less proves that.

Epic chose to show off the new features of their engine on PS5 instead of Xbox because that console essentially allowed them to crank up the bullshit factor to 11 by letting them maximize the number of assets and textures streamed directly from the SSD. No marketing deal needed.

But wouldn't the Series X be capable of displaying the exact same assets (8K textures, shadows, and micropolygons) in the same variety/quality/density?

So, why wouldn't Epic demonstrate the engine on Series X also? Doesn't make sense...

ToadMan

What does this mean? How does me being excited about a game that's coming out 2 years from now stop me from enjoying CyberPunk 2077 and Spiderman-Myles Morales at the PS5's launch?

You’re only interested in CP2077 right now?

Well sucks to be you... I’ve bought about 4 new games in the last 2 days. I guess there’ll be more to come once I’ve enjoyed those.

Perhaps GoT if it reviews well in a couple of weeks.

Games more than 6 months out basically don’t exist as far as I’m concerned.

It’s fine - you don’t game much compared to me. Enjoy your CP in November (even that is too far away for me to care much right now) and be happy.

Personally I’ll enjoy games I can play right now and be excited for future games when they’re close enough to release to be interesting - trailers aren’t interesting.

Gamernyc78

Banned
But wouldn't the Series X be capable of displaying the exact same assets (8K textures, shadows, and micropolygons) in the same variety/quality/density?

So, why wouldn't Epic demonstrate the engine on Series X also? Doesn't make sense...

Read others arguments its actually against some of what you are saying due to Sony's way better SSD solution so ppl feel the variety, density, quality will be better and/or on PS5.

Sweeny also said when asked why ps5...

When a user asked why Epic opted for the PS5 instead of PC, Sweeney said that it came down to “systems integration and whole-system performance.” “Bringing in data from high-bandwidth storage into video memory in its native format with hardware decompression is very efficient,” he added.

Read others arguments its actually against some of what you are saying due to Sony's way better SSD solution so ppl feel the variety, density, quality will be better and/or on PS5.

Sweeny also said when asked why ps5...

When a user asked why Epic opted for the PS5 instead of PC, Sweeney said that it came down to “systems integration and whole-system performance.” “Bringing in data from high-bandwidth storage into video memory in its native format with hardware decompression is very efficient,” he added.

I read Tim's replies but I'm still don't know what he is actually implying....if Epic chose to run the demo on PS5 because they could do it more easily or if they chose to use the PS5 because the assets would suffer (lower resolution/detail...whatever) if they tried to run on the Series X.

Jtibh

Banned
Playing through jedi fallen order it just struck me how badly i want the ps5 for unreal engine 5 .

This game on unreal 4 loads textures like more than 20 seconds in and it takes another 30 seconds to load the game back once you die.

And i die a lot here so it takes away from all the fun.

I am really most excited for zero to 2 second load times and instant respawns. I would never touch a souls game on anything else for the same reason.

This is a marketing deal nothing more, nothing less. People want to believe only PS5 can do this I don't know why!... well I do but ehh!

This kind of assets will be featured in games next gen and, with optimization, some games will go beyond that tech demo. You can already create impressive environments with UE4 using Quixel assets, no need to think it isn't possible. People put too much faith in marketing PR.

Romulus

Maybe PS5 is great, but I was just waiting for something in the press conference to really make me think "next gen" and it never happened. Doubt we'll see anything like that for a couple of years.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Not that the PS5 wont be a decent piece of tech, but its starting to sound like Epic might have an exclusive deal or something with Sony.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Some of y'all are pretty insecure.
  1. This is just a job for these guys. They can afford any and every system ever made, with ease, and can buy any games, if they ever had the free time to sit down and binge on them like some people who clearly never worked a professional gig. They are not all up in their feels about one system being better than another.
  2. There is a level of marketing to this. They will no doubt speak highly about both systems. They might have a preference for one over the other, as far as a development perspective is concerned, but being more difficult to develop for didn't prevent the PS2 from producing some world-class stunners. I wouldn't expect a preference for the PS5 to immediately mean deficiencies for the XSX (if this is how you want interpret his comments). I don't even know if it even represents a preference for the PS5, as NDAs might be preventing talk about XSX development and hardware at this point.
  3. I think it's great that Epic and Sony have worked together on developing certain aspects of the PS5 architecture, as it should provide developers with a powerful tool for game creation, that is going to be able to utilize the PS5's architecture well. If they have a similar relationship with MS on XSX development, then that's doubly great. I think having tools that allow game devs to more easily extract the power of the new systems is what gamers should want most, because the increase in graphical fidelity comes at a cost. Keeping those costs down benefits everyone, because we get more games.
The petty back and forth is funny, but ultimately stupid. Tim Sweeney basically is "the guy that said that thing," and now people want to line up on opposite sides of a grey line, and hurl stones at each other, eventhough they don't really know what they're getting mad at, because his statement is fairly innocuous. Get a grip, folks.

MastaKiiLA

Playing through jedi fallen order it just struck me how badly i want the ps5 for unreal engine 5 .

This game on unreal 4 loads textures like more than 20 seconds in and it takes another 30 seconds to load the game back once you die.

And i die a lot here so it takes away from all the fun.

I am really most excited for zero to 2 second load times and instant respawns. I would never touch a souls game on anything else for the same reason.
Do you have an SSD? Because I don't have this issue. Or maybe you're not referring to the PC version?

Ascend

Early preview for PS5 Vs XSX SSD
Notice how the slower drive tanks the frame rate

This video is not representative of anything regarding next gen consoles.
For one, everything here needs to be decompressed by the CPU, while both consoles have a dedicated hardware decompression block, freeing up CPU resources.
The XSX has an SSD, not an HDD. Using an HDD to somehow represent the XSX is pretty much trolling.

Epic should've demonstrated UE5 on a PC with absurds amounts of RAM. We wouldn't have this discussion about the PS5's I/O solution being a necessity or not for the quality of the assets shown during the demo.

But Epic complicated everything...

Top Bottom