• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games calls PS5 a "masterpiece of systems design"

If they constantly fellated Nvidia itd be a somewhat close comparison
Nvidia still makes the fastest gaming GPUs out there. They're not lacking for praise, be it from developers or others.

I am sure UE5 will run fine on the lesser powered XSX and they will find a way around the need for fast SSD streaming and small triangle rendering which Cerny says favours higher clocks.
What most people don't seem to realize is that the UE5 tech demo was... a tech demo. I've said it since the very beginning: PS5 games won't look like that. You won't be seeing games with Quixel textures meant for movie productions and hundreds of assets pulled straight out of Zbrush. It's just not feasible in an actual game. The spate of PS5 trailers Sony released earlier this month more or less proves that.

Epic chose to show off the new features of their engine on PS5 instead of Xbox because that console essentially allowed them to crank up the bullshit factor to 11 by letting them maximize the number of assets and textures streamed directly from the SSD. No marketing deal needed.

Last edited:
8dxdXkz.png

REDRZA MWS

I am sure UE5 nano and lumen will run fine on all consoles and Epic will find a way around the need for fast SSD streaming and small triangle rendering which Cerny says favours higher clocks.

Ps5 was chosen I believe as it met the criteria that Epic were looking for, fast streaming, fast culling and high clocks for small triangles. Epic have also sugegsted this in many tweets.

On lesser powered hardware do you mean Lockart ?

Hilarious. You know what I meant. 12TF constant clocked machine vs a *10.2 TF machine. Math is Math. And yes, I’m DAY 1 for both consoles, always have been.

* = WHEN the PS5 clocks are maxed. Instead we have variable clocks, therefore not always runnning maxed. So less than that 10.2 TF number.

mckmas8808

Banned
Nvidia still makes the fastest gaming GPUs out there. They're not lacking for praise, be it from developers or others.

What most people don't seem to realize is that the UE5 tech demo was... a tech demo. I've said it since the very beginning: PS5 games won't look like that. You won't be seeing games with Quixel textures meant for movie productions and hundreds of assets pulled straight out of Zbrush. It's just not feasible in an actual game. The spate of PS5 trailers Sony released earlier this month more or less proves that.

Epic chose to show off the new features of their engine on PS5 instead of Xbox because that console essentially allowed them to crank up the bullshit factor to 11 by letting them maximize the number of assets and textures streamed directly from the SSD. No marketing deal needed.

You'll be proven wrong in a few years. Lets bookmark this post of yours.

Rolla

Banned
About this "Sony paid" or "Just Marketing" narrative I see many people pushing... I don't think it's that sinister.

If you go beyond the headlines these sites push out and take a second to listen to the devs and publishers. It's clear they're singing the praises of the PS5's design because they feel they had a hand in it's architecture? Instead of back room deals and millions of marketing dollars being shifted across accounts.

The devs have actually stated repeatedly on record that Cerny took their considerations into account when building this console and so, of course their happy that he delivered, right?

kuncol02

Banned
Don’t think it can be laid down....at least I have not seen physical images of it

Would be pretty stupid if you had to pay another 25 bucks to actually be able to sit it safely down near your tv

Sony did charge you stupid amounts of money for vita memory cards so anything is possible when arrogant Sony is in town
It's not that bad. They could include vertical stand and sell horizontal one.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I mean thats cool and all, but time for talk is over. Nothing Sony showed at the reveal even came close to matching what Epic showed off with that flying setpiece.

At this point, it just comes across as PR fluff, not unlike MS suits being honest and taking pot shots at the PS5 architecture.

If Velocity Architecture is something along the lines of Smart Delivery, XSX is mostly a brute force machine.

Meanwhile the ps5, with the dual sense features, on-chip bottleneck killers, ssd speed, and variable clocks, is definitely a league above xsx in terms of design.

That is undeniable.

XSX is all most 2tf more powerful and smaller at the same time. Both are heavily customized in different ways. And variable clocks relies more on "brute forcing" than sustained clocks.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Likely Sony paid them to develop the demo for PS5 and talking positively about the PS5 was likely written into that contract. They obviously wouldn't have been paid to bad mouth the Series X but it's telling how little they are willing to talk about Series X despite it being either equally or more powerful. (Before fanboys from both sides attack me, I literally give zero shits which console "wins")

Entroyp

Epic is a mouthpiece for Sony? Damn people do go crazy when hearing anything remotely positive about the PS5.

The way I see it no other developer had as much direct input or worked more closely with Sony and Cerny to overcome game development challenges from past generations.

What else are they going to say after Sony listened?

Who knows but it’s Epic so I think there’s some truth behind their words.

Quick, someone tell me how many posts it took before this became a console war thread!!! And how many posts continue to misinterpret simple praise for one next-gen console as some kind of admonishment on the other system that isn't mentioned!!!

Anyway...

Regardless, they are right in PS5 being a pretty exceptionally designed piece of kit. It's got a very balanced design and does as much as it can with its features, to make any compromises work as best to its favor as possible. We're already seeing the fruits of that labor in games like R&C, Horizon 2 and GT7 (thanks to DF for doing that PS5 analysis vid so I could appreciate GT7 a bit more).

I don't think anyone's going to be disappointed with the system's capabilities, that goes for gamers and developers. And honestly I don't think either camps can go wrong between both PS5 or XSX this gen as they're both looking like some really exceptional systems doing the absolute best with what they have, and bringing just enough variety in some parts of design philosophy to rekindle some of the older days of gaming between systems like SNES and MegaDrive, PS1/Saturn/N64, etc.

Last edited:
I wonder why they have to keep saying that, specially at this point.

May be they want to move GPUs and SSDs towards favoring their real-time illumination and mesh geometry solutions.
99% of Unreal games run on PCs of many different architectures.

However, social media talking wouldn't change the mind of giants like nVidia or Samsung.

Drewpee

Banned
Epic Games' VP of engineering Nick Penwarden has called the PS5 a "masterpiece of systems design", after working with the console's dev kit to help create last month's jaw-dropping Unreal Engine 5 tech demo.

"The PlayStation 5 is a masterpiece of systems design," says Penwarden. "Not only is it driving a huge leap in computing and graphics performance, but it is also revolutionary in terms of storage and data compression technology, unlocking new kinds of games and experiences for players to enjoy."

More at source

Epic has gone out of their way to endorse the PS5 over the XsX without actually endorsing the PS5.

I am convinced that praise for a non console of choice physically pains certain people.

Sony is not shy about marketing deals and has a lot of weight being the market leader. They've paid for 1 years exclusivity on major 3rd party games. Given the gushin over a single platform while totally mentioning nothing about the XSX screams marketing deal. Especially when that platform can do a lot of things better than the PS5.

Last edited:

fermcr

I've never seen a 3rd party developer praise so many times a console... not sure if that's good or bad.

Last edited:
Seems like Epic could solve a lot of the debate by releasing numbers on how the PS5 SSD allowed their demo to be made. The fact they they hiding behind an NDA is telling on both their and Sony's part. Sony released their transfer rate numbers, why not let Epic show how they make a difference? Personally, I'm tired of the same ole PR talk from these companies. I'd rather Sony hang their hat on planned exclusives instead of trying to catch up on hardware power. They've had some real gems this last generation and those are going to get me to buy a PS more than how easy the system is to develop for.

Seems like Epic could solve a lot of the debate by releasing numbers on how the PS5 SSD allowed their demo to be made. The fact they they hiding behind an NDA is telling on both their and Sony's part. Sony released their transfer rate numbers, why not let Epic show how they make a difference? Personally, I'm tired of the same ole PR talk from these companies. I'd rather Sony hang their hat on planned exclusives instead of trying to catch up on hardware power. They've had some real gems this last generation and those are going to get me to buy a PS more than how easy the system is to develop for.

maybe the demo doesn’t need that much GB? Well, we will see next year - after the console launches - to find out.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Yep show the demo with a real time graphic of how much data the SSD is transfering. I have been saying this for a while. I am very sure it does not come close to touching the max of the SSD if it did they would of compressed the textures. The Sony SSD is bad ass but i think in the end will be shown to be overkill. Like drinking from a firehose. Epic showed the SSD can crush either next generation apu with data with out texture compression on flipping 8k Hollywood assets.

He has answered that question when people have asked. He said go listen to the Mark Cerny talk, as Mark explained it.

5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)

It does not get any more complicated than that.
Not Cerny.. Epic. The Epic demo is what is being touted as only possible on PS5. The only advantage it has is the SSD, so show me the numbers that show it is using it at a rate higher than the XBsex or PCIe-4 on PC.

cormack12

Gold Member
What's odd is the amount of Playstation studio's that don't use UE - I wonder if there is some play here to maybe use UE5 for some future Sony projects? Or EPIC are buttering Sony up to that effect. List of all UE4 games on Wiki

Title
Absention[38]
Absolver
Abzû[39]
Acacia: Time Trails[40]
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Ad Infinitum[41]
Adrift
Age of Blood[42]
AION Next-Gen[43]
AIPD[44]
A.L.I.C.E.[45]
Allison Road
Alone in the Dark: Illumination
Apsulov: End of Gods[46]
Aquanox Deep Descent[47]
Ark: Survival Evolved
Ashen[48][49]
Assetto Corsa Competizione
Astray[51]
Astroneer
Atomic Heart[52]
Automation[53]
Aven Colony
A Way Out
Bacon Man[54]
Barrage[55]
Batman: Arkham Asylum (Return to Arkham)
Batman: Arkham City (Return to Arkham)
Batman: Arkham VR[56]
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada
Beyond Flesh and Blood[57]
Bleeding Edge[58]
Blue Protocol[59]
Biomutant
BIOS[60]
Blade & Soul Complete
Blade & Soul Revolution[61]
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Borderlands 3[58]
Bright Memory
Caffeine
Call of Cthulhu
City of Titans[62]
Chivalry 2
Code Vein
Conan Exiles
Concrete Genie[63][64]
Consortium: The Tower Prophecy[65]
Courage[66]
Crackdown 3
Crash Force[67][68]
Crime Watch[69]
Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online[70]
Daemon X Machina[71]
Darksiders III
Darksiders Genesis[58]
Darwin Project
Dauntless
Daylight
Days Gone
Dead by Daylight
Dead Static Drive[72]
Deathwatch: Tyranid Invasion[73]
Déraciné[74]
Descent
Die Young[75]
Disaster Report 4 Plus: Summer Memories
Dispatcher[76]
Downward[77]
Dovetail Games Fishing[78]
Dragon Ball FighterZ
Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
Dragon Quest XI
Draugen
Dreadnought
Earthlight[79]
Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain
Eden Star[80]
Epsilon[81]
Ether One Redux
Everwild[82]
Everspace
Eve: Valkyrie
Eye Guy[83]
Fable Legends
Fated[84]
Fighting EX Layer
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Fortnite Battle Royale
Fortnite: Save the World
Foxhole
Fractured Space[85]
Friday the 13th: The Game
Galaxy Heist[86]
Gears of War 4
Gears 5
Gemini: Heroes Reborn[87]
Ghostbusters
Ghostwire: Tokyo[58]
Godfall[88]
Godling[89]
Granblue Fantasy Versus
Gravel[90]
Grounded[82]
Grip[91]
Ground Branch[92]
Gunjack[93]
Hypercharge: Unboxed
Hakoniwa Company Works
Hatashiai[94]
Hardware: Rivals
Hatred
Haunted House: Cryptic Graves
Heavy Gear Assault[95]
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Hello Neighbor
Heroes of Incredible Tales[96]
Heroes Reborn: Enigma[97]
H-Hour: World's Elite
Hidden Agenda
House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn[98]
I Hate My Job[99]
Injustice 2 (Mobile)
Insurgency: Sandstorm[100]
Into the Stars[101]
Iron Fish[102]
Jump Force[103]
KartKraft[104]
Kholat
Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth by Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage
Kingdom Hearts III
KurtzPel -Bringer of Chaos-[105]
Land of Britain[106]
Laser League[107][108]
LawBreakers
Lineage 2 Revolution
Little Nightmares
Life Is Strange (Mobile)
Life Is Strange 2[109]
Loading Human[110]
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
Maze[111]
Mega Blast[112]
MIND: Path to Thalamus[113]
Minecraft: Dungeons[114]
Mordhau
Mortal Kombat (Mobile)
Moss[115][116]
MotoGP 18[117]
Moto Racer 4
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden[118][119]
My Hero: One's Justice[120]
Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker[121]
Nelo[122]
New Retro Arcade: Neon
NBA Playgrounds[123]
NBA 2K Playgrounds 2
NBA 2KVR Experience
New Gundam Breaker[124]
Nuren: The New Renaissance[125]
Obduction
Observer
Octopath Traveler
Outreach[126]
Outriders
Pangea[127]
Paragon
Perception[128]
Planet Alpha[129][130]
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
Pneuma: Breath of Life[132]
Police 10-13[133]
Pool Nation FX[134]
Postal Redux
Primal Carnage: Genesis
Prodigy
Pro Evolution Soccer 2019 (Mobile)[135][136]
Project Awakened[137]
Project BBQ[138]
Project EVE[139]
Project Fantasiam[140]
Project HON[141]
Project: Session[142]
Project Stealth
Project TL
Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin[143]
Psychonauts 2
Raw Data[144][145]
Reaching For Petals[146]
Real Boxing 2[147]
Red Goddess[148]
Rend[149][150]
Renoir[151]
Republic Sniper[152]
Resident Evil 2: Reborn[153]
Retro Invasion[154]
Rez Infinite (Area X)
Ride 3[155]
Rime
Rising Thunder
Robo Recall
Rock of Ages II: Bigger & Boulder
Ruiner[156]
Samurai Shodown
Satisfactory
Scalebound
School Girl/Zombie Hunter
Scorn[157]
Sea of Thieves
Sega World Drivers Championship[158]
Seven: The Days Long Gone
Shadow of the Beast
Shape of the World[159]
Shenmue III
Shin Megami Tensei V[160]
Skylar & Plux: Adventure on Clover Island
Snake Pass
Song of Horror[161]
Soulcalibur VI[162]
Source[163]
Space Dust Racers[164]
Space Hulk: Deathwing
Spyro Reignited Trilogy[165]
SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated
Squad
Starfall Tactics
Star Force[166]
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order[167]
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2[168]
Starship Commander
State of Decay 2
Storm United[169]
Stray[170]
Street Fighter V
Strike Vector EX[171]
Styx: Shards of Darkness
Submerged[172]
Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet[173][174]
System Shock
Tales of Arise
Tekken 7
The Artful Escape
The Assembly[175]
The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit
The Bard's Tale IV
Caligula: Overdose
The Dead Linger
The Flame in the Flood
The Hum: Abductions[176]
The Idolm@ster: Starlit Season[177]
The Last Remnant (Remaster Version)[178]
The Lost Pisces[179]
The Outer Worlds[180]
The Park
The Pathless[181]
The Sinking City[182][183]
The Solus Project
The Soul Keeper[184]
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux
Time Machine VR[185]
Titanic: Honor and Glory
Tower Unite[186]
Train Sim World
Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes
Tropico 6[187]
Trials of Mana
The Turing Test
Tetris Effect
Unbox[188]
Unreal Tournament
Valhalla Hills[190]
Valorant
Vampyr
Vigor[191]
Visage
Wake Up Call[192]
Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade
We Happy Few
We Sing
We Sing Pop
What Remains of Edith Finch[193]
Welcome To The Future[194]
Without Memory[195]
The Wolf Among Us 2[196]
World War 3[197]
World War Toons[198]
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2
Xing: The Land Beyond[199]
Yoshi's Crafted World[200]
ZED[201][202]
404Sight[203]

Gamernyc78

Banned
What's odd is the amount of Playstation studio's that don't use UE - I wonder if there is some play here to maybe use UE5 for some future Sony projects? Or EPIC are buttering Sony up to that effect. List of all UE4 games on Wiki

UE seems really good so I would mind however Sony likes to have their in house engines to like décima although tht is being shared as well. If thy build it thy know how to use it to the best of their abilities hence we get those gorgeous games some cabt believe (not to say other engines don't create gorgeous games too).

Top Bottom