• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games calls PS5 a "masterpiece of systems design"

Rolla

Banned
Epic Games' VP of engineering Nick Penwarden has called the PS5 a "masterpiece of systems design", after working with the console's dev kit to help create last month's jaw-dropping Unreal Engine 5 tech demo.

"The PlayStation 5 is a masterpiece of systems design," says Penwarden. "Not only is it driving a huge leap in computing and graphics performance, but it is also revolutionary in terms of storage and data compression technology, unlocking new kinds of games and experiences for players to enjoy."

More at source

Arun1910

Seems like leading to release all we will get is "He said, she said" from various companies who have some sort of marketing deal with Sony and Microsoft.

Even though the fast SSD is a good thing, I wonder how many 3rd Party Developers will use its full potential. PS5 exclusives can develop for the SSD, front to back, but 3rd Party Developers will have to work around it.

Rolla

Banned
Seems like leading to release all we will get is "He said, she said" from various companies who have some sort of marketing deal with Sony and Microsoft.

Even though the fast SSD is a good thing, I wonder how many 3rd Party Developers will use its full potential. PS5 exclusives can develop for the SSD, front to back, but 3rd Party Developers will have to work around it.

Honestly it seems like a one sided affair which is a bit confusing due to the fact that XBOX Series X is the more powerful machine.

Everything the two Epic people said there applies to XSX as well. In fact it's mostly vanilla praise you can lap onto any next gen console. Maybe they get into something meatier in the interview. I didn't know the official Playstation mag was still a thing. Maybe only in the UK?

GHG

Gold Member
I can't keep up.

Here, let me boost your clockspeed so you can stay up to date.

tenor.gif

TigerKnee

PS5. You must take risks to reap the rewards. It's not about cutting corners. It's not interested in gimmicks. It's giving content creators unprecedented power to express their creativity. It's exhilarating. What's being created for the PS5 is inspiring.

With PS5, Sony is taking it to the next level.

ToadMan

Absolutely and undeniably based. Fuuuuck Horizon 2 is still a year away someone freeze me until then.

Yeah. I think games shouldn’t be announced unless they’re at most 6 months from release and they should include gameplay in trailers.

Any more than that and my hype is immediately dead for them.

I don’t want hear about stuff so far away.

This is not working on me, and coming from Epic still no effect.

Singing the praises of this machine feels like overcompensating when the specs sheet does not match up. They are taking the complex narrative to say this is the better machine when it could have been easier if they had the higher specs they would have done it differently.

Not saying Epic is just lying to support a hardware partner but the more flowery the words the harder it is to sell me on something.
Everything they are saying could be true this could be the best gaming machine ever created, we will find out soon enough.

I've been a Nintendo fan too long I know how they try to make their lower specs machine feel like it does a different kind of magic. "So easy to develop for..."
Kinda weird that Sony has to be placed in this position of overselling the hardware to prove they went the right direction. Normally it would be a much easier sell.

Keep focused on the games that will work on me.
At the end of the day I am more likely to get a PS5 than and XSX may end up getting both.

Gamernyc78

Banned
This is not working on me, and coming from Epic still no effect.

Singing the praises of this machine feels like overcompensating when the specs sheet does not match up. They are taking the complex narrative to say this is the better machine when it could have been easier if they had the higher specs they would have done it differently.

Not saying Epic is just lying to support a hardware partner but the more flowery the words the harder it is to sell me on something.
Everything they are saying could be true this could be the best gaming machine ever created, we will find out soon enough.

I've been a Nintendo fan too long I know how they try to make their lower specs machine feel like it does a different kind of magic. "So easy to develop for..."
Kinda weird that Sony has to be placed in this position of overselling the hardware to prove they went the right direction. Normally it would be a much easier sell.

Keep focused on the games that will work on me.
At the end of the day I am more likely to get a PS5 than and XSX may end up getting both.

Tht shit all goes out the window when you put all the ppl tht have talked positively in perspective as well as tht GDC poll (from ppl tht know about hardware) where devs overwhelmingly were more excited to work on PS5 you bcus of reasons 😏

Btw two consoles can be great at the same time and I don't hear them shitting on Xbox just saying.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

I wonder if Epic will have a game ready for launch on Ps5 that takes advantage of these allegedly amazing design. Their demo was super cool. But i realize there has not been a single player game from them in a very long time or i have missed something.

Whitecrow

Banned
If Velocity Architecture is something along the lines of Smart Delivery, XSX is mostly a brute force machine.

Meanwhile the ps5, with the dual sense features, on-chip bottleneck killers, ssd speed, and variable clocks, is definitely a league above xsx in terms of design.

That is undeniable.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
But there is totally no marketing deal or epic is totally not trying to get Sony games as a epic store exclusive lol.

Interview with official Playstation magazine..

I'm not downplaying the PS5 before you lot dogpile me.

But, I wonder what people would say if epic had or ubi or anyone else had said the same thing about the XsX during n interview with offical Xbox magazine..?
Considering the only thing Tim said about the series x was sarcastic un real 5 will be awesome on it after back lash and he was probably forced to by executive's. Tim is a good mouth piece for Sony. He can bully people into apology video's who dare don't bow to lord Sony.

Last edited:
Already went thru this on another thread, for those who didn't notice or try not to, basically they made a deal to make a Demo taylormade for sony to showcase the SSD, something that other developpers wont waste time & money to do.
Yes it's a deal to promote UE5 thru the PS5 to get a bigger coverage, the only video in Unreal youtube chanel that passed the 1000 view.

Top Bottom