• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games announces - Play thousands of Unreal-powered games and create your own, looks like a contender to Dreams

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
*I failed the title it should be: Epic Games announces Core

Gamers will be able to play thousands of Unreal-powered games in every genre imaginable

unknown.png

Epic Games has announced that Core is coming to EGS in the form of an Early Access title.
Developed and published by Manticore Games, Core is described as a multiverse of free games to play and worlds to explore designed by a global community of developers.
Additionally, you can create, share, and earn from your own fan games.

Core promises to feature games from all genres. As such, gamers can expect to find shooters, survival, action-adventure, MMORPGs, platformers, and party games.

Core makes it possible by giving beginners and pros alike the power of Unreal in an accessible interface.
Thus, players can have access to hundreds of free, high-quality music, sound, and art assets. They will also access built-in 3D modeling and terrain sculpting tools.

You can download the Early Access build for Core from here.

Last edited:

Larxia

While I hate a lot of stuff Epic does, including their store and various methods of doing things, I'll always say this, Unreal Engine is amazing and they really do great things with it. This seems like another nice addition.

Interesting, I always wish these sorts of community empowering tools growth and a playerbase. If this can catch on anything like Roblox I'd be far happier for my kids to jump into Core than that mess of a hack that Roblox is.

SinDelta

Damn this is certainly bold and ambitious.

And this is from someone who despises the way Epic has gone about fracturing the PC market into exclusives.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
No they won't.

IMO this and Dreams is more catered towards ambitious beginner game developers. I don't see an avid hardcore gamer spending hours a day utilizing these tools to craft a game.

The difference is that this uses Unreal Engine, which is the #1 game engine used by major publishers. Dreams doesn't. So someone making something in this could use it in a portfolio as experience.

BeardGawd

Banned
Epic Games has announced Core; a multiverse of free games to play and worlds to explore designed by a global community of developers. Core is available in Early Access and you can download it right now.
Additionally, you can create, share, and earn from your own fan games.
So people can monetize their creations?

It uses Unreal. It automatically is better than Dreams.
Doesn't matter. Who the fuck is going to care to sit in front of their monitors/tv's to create games all day?
Applications like this and Dreams will only appeal to a specific crowd.
For Dreams the player count is at around +610 000 as of November 2020 based on PSN stats.

You're not going to find the average gamer sit through tutorial after tutorial to build something meaningful. I suspect this is going to happen to Core as well. It will be fun at first but quickly die off.

PS4’s Dreams Has Plenty Of Content But Not Enough Players

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Doesn't matter. Who the fuck is going to care to sit in front of their monitors/tv's to create games all day?
Applications like this and Dreams will only appeal to a specific crowd.
For Dreams the player count is at around +610 000 as of November 2020 based on PSN stats.

You're not going to find the average gamer sit through tutorial after tutorial to build something meaningful. I suspect this is going to happen to Core as well. It will be fun at first but quickly die off.

PS4’s Dreams Has Plenty Of Content But Not Enough Players
More people than sat in front of them to use Dreams.

Whitecrow

Banned
Dreams was DOA. I said that from the moment it was announced and time confirmed it.

This may have more userbase and popularity and we may see cool things. But an inexperienced developer, designer, or artist will still be inexperienced no matter the platform or the tools.

pasterpl

ms started with project spark, Sony later improved the same concept with dreams and now epic will probably nail it with this

reksveks

People keep saying dreams, and my first thought was someone must have shown timmy how much roblox makes. Kinda like when fortnite was a coop game then they saw pubg makin cash.
Some people on the forum have a very limited view of gaming but yeah, the competition is Roblox. Interested to see how this adapts to mobile.

CamHostage

ModBot ModBot Can someone correct the title?

...Sorry, but you may want to correct more than the title?

Core is actually made and published by Manticore Games, not Epic Games. Manticore "was established by industry veterans from Electronic Arts, Blizzard, Respawn, Xfire, Roblox, Trion Worlds, Crystal Dynamics and Zynga", according to their bio on the site.

Epic also has not "announced" Core today, maybe they just included it in an announcement of games released today on the Epic Game Store this week? CORE was announced in 2020, you can watch more pre-release coverage of the game on their YT page.

And then, there already was a Core OT here on GAF from back when, although whichever thread attracts people to check out Core, that's fine. (The previous one was tough to find in Search since "Core" is a generic term to crawl for.)

Cool product, hopefully some people check it out one way or another.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
...Sorry, but you may want to correct more than the title?

Core is made and published by Manticore Games, not Epic Games. Manticore "was established by industry veterans from Electronic Arts, Blizzard, Respawn, Xfire, Roblox, Trion Worlds, Crystal Dynamics and Zynga", according to their bio on the site.

Epic also has not announced Core today. Maybe they included it in an announcement of games released today on the Epic Game Store this week? CORE was announced in 2020, you can watch more pre-release coverage of the game on their YT page.

And then, there already was a Core OT here on GAF from back when, although whichever thread attracts people to check out Core, that's fine. (The previous one was tough to find in Search since "Core" is a generic term to crawl for.)

Indeed the search showed nothing on my side.
As for who made what, I just quoted the article from DSOG but yes you are right apparently. I'll edit the OP soon.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's why I think Dreams is too ambitious, and Sony should just stick with LBP-like level creation. Sackboy in 3D with level creation will be a killer.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This is like Fortnite Roblox. FortBlox. I tried it out a bit just to get a feel for the UI and the games as of now. It's way less janky than Roblox, I like it. This shit is probably going to be a huge hit in the long run.

This is what the game interface looks like...
X8UGKel.jpg

Last edited:
ofc it looks like Fortnite :p

This is like Fortnite Roblox. FortBlox. I tried it out a bit just to get a feel for the UI and the games as of now. It's way less janky than Roblox, I like it. This shit is probably going to be a huge hit in the long run.

This is what the game interface looks like...
X8UGKel.jpg

Reminds me of those old Flash game website from the early days.

Last edited:
yeah, I saw it. Dreams is more geared at hobbyists with its ease of use - but it can be so much more if limitations due to old PS4 hardware are lifted. Honestly, after Dreams I can't go back to polygonal modeling... sculpting and coloring is all one needs.

Bridges

I understand why this exists, I liked Dreams and stuff similar to it so I see the appeal, but Unreal Engine is already free, at that point you'd probably be better off learning how to use UE4 Blueprints which likely has less limitations than Core will.

Top Bottom