• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic : fortnite 4k at 60 on PS5(Dualsense Support) and XSX. 1080p 60 for XSS

Tefl0n

I am glad to see the DualSense getting support. I can't wait to get my hands on one. I better not be disappointed after all of they hype it has been getting.

I can’t wait to try the Dualsense with FPS. Imagine having your smg locking up (yes sucks but immersive none the less). If playing competitive multiplayer. I’d want dualsense triggers turned off... rather have a hairpin trigger than resistance.

Banned
Well, it's concerning that a console being marketed as next-gen and launching within a week runs a current game worse than a 3-year old cheaper console, don't you think?

it runs way higher settings, what they describe in their marketing blurb is even above PC ultra. seems like they will implement new graphics features for this generational jump

People trying to slander a console that costs 300 bucks. 🤣🤣🤣
I think it’s more that Microsoft were marketing it as a 1440p machine not a 1080-1440p machine.

It’s a console that is 25% of the performance of the X while it costs 60% of the price and has half the storage (500 won’t be super useable without a $220 expansion drive bringing the price to 100%). Especially when the PS4 starts at only $100 more and will provide much more value for the money.

Now if Microsoft can do what they have said and game sizes really are much smaller they can mitigate some of that storage difference. Hell maybe 500 on the S is equally as useable as 1TB on the X.

The problem is that a lot of people saw the marketing and took it for granted. The new architecture and Ryzen helps the S quite a bit but it is still going to be limited by a 4TF GPU and memory especially if it is targeting 60fps. Personally I think the S will be a 1080/60 and 1440/30 machine for bigger games.

The X and the PS5 are a much better use of money for anybody that plays games a lot IMO. S is great as a secondary console or a console for kids especially with the value of Gamepass. Somebody that just plus Warzone/Fortnite and a few other games occasionally but still wants the next Gen features would also be a good match for the S.

AeneaGames

I don´t get the appeal of those kinds of games (MP in general) and don´t play em but i look forward to those concerts within the game like Travis Scott or J Balvin in 4k.

Actually, Fortnite was a 1 to 4 player coop game, PvE, way before they added the Battle Royale mode.
I loved that mode, played it a ton.

Wondering how that is doing right now and if it will get improvements too for next gen

Actually, Fortnite was a 1 to 4 player coop game, PvE, way before they added the Battle Royale mode.
I loved that mode, played it a ton.

Wondering how that is doing right now and if it will get improvements too for next gen

Huh? That is the first time i hear this, but i never got too deep into that. But i would doubt there is much story or something? to me this is just a minecraftx battle royal cosmetic cashcow of epic (haha, no pun intended) proportions. But although not fo me i can acknowledge the cultural impact and as said, i really enjoyed both concerts i saw there. It really is a different experience and especially in times like this a very interesting one at that.

BigLee74

Except for a hundred more you can get the digital version of the PS5 and do 4K.

Id like to see the XS pushed a little bit more and see what it can actually do, though. Time will tell.

And what's the point of paying 100+ more to do 4K when you don't have a 4k display?

The S is aimed at non 4k displays. And also importantly, for people who would rather have an xbox than a PS.

I don't think you are the intended market. This one is clearly more an Xmas pressie for the kids up in their bedroom.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lol. Didn't Epic support some oneplus phone with a 90 fps version of Fortnite? They can't do higher than 60 on the next gen consoles even after some hype for the "120 fps" deal (that imo will rarely materialize but hey, we should at least get more 60 fps games, right?) from the companies?

AeneaGames

Huh? That is the first time i hear this, but i never got too deep into that. But i would doubt there is much story or something? to me this is just a minecraftx battle royal cosmetic cashcow of epic (haha, no pun intended) proportions. But although not fo me i can acknowledge the cultural impact and as said, i really enjoyed both concerts i saw there. It really is a different experience and especially in times like this a very interesting one at that.

Nope it has a story and it's actually quite good. There are 4 level areas, at each you build a persistent base which you have to defend from ever increasing more difficult enemy types and waves. The missions on the maps are non persistent, but you still build defences.

I loved it a lot! Spend many hours on it. I liked using traps more than my weapons. Made extensive tunnels where the zombie like creatures needed to get thru, you had punching traps, freezing traps and so many others. The trick was to punch them back towards the reaps that were reloading. You could see their health bars, looked like a pinball game, saw that health bar fling back and forth with less health over time. If some managed to survive my trap tunnels they were shot still. Haha, lovely stuff.

But once the other mode was added and became so popular they spend more and more time on that so development was slow in the end which is why I stopped playing..

Nope it has a story and it's actually quite good. There are 4 level areas, at each you build a persistent base which you have to defend from ever increasing more difficult enemy types and waves. The missions on the maps are non persistent, but you still build defences.

I loved it a lot! Spend many hours on it. I liked using traps more than my weapons. Made extensive tunnels where the zombie like creatures needed to get thru, you had punching traps, freezing traps and so many others. The trick was to punch them back towards the reaps that were reloading. You could see their health bars, looked like a pinball game, saw that health bar fling back and forth with less health over time. If some managed to survive my trap tunnels they were shot still. Haha, lovely stuff.

But once the other mode was added and became so popular they spend more and more time on that so development was slow in the end which is why I stopped playing..

huh, now that sounds like something at least tryworthy.

Mmnow

1440p was a weird hill to climb anyway. It's better for upscaling to 4k - which people buying the S don't care about - and it's a good target to supersample down to 1080p. But you're still getting a 1080p output, whatever resolution you're rendering internally. It looks better, but not "your screen doesn't have resolution limitations" better.

I always thought they said 1440p in the marketing just to make it sound more than 1080p, so this is exactly in line with actual expectations. Nobody outside of a very small group of monitor owners has a 1440p display, and those guys are unlikely to buy the S.

With that said, if this 1080p comes with a bunch of improved graphical effects, win-win.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
1440p was a weird hill to climb anyway. It's better for upscaling to 4k - which people buying the S don't care about - and it's a good target to supersample down to 1080p. But you're still getting a 1080p output, whatever resolution you're rendering internally. It looks better, but not "your screen doesn't have resolution limitations" better.

Are you suggesting that S owners don't own 4k TV or will not in the next few years? Scaling effects aside (so small you won't notice) 1440P is 2x the pixels of 1080P.

Guys, we all know that Fortnite will make the jump to UE5 someday. Keep in mind that Epic also updated the 30fps to 60fps on current gen consoles. I definitely can see a 120fps performance mode coming, but it seems its not ready for launch as of now.

“The Xbox Series S will support most of the visual enhancements available on the Series X.”

Which probably explains why it’s 1080p and not 1440p. At the end of the day, who gives a shit really? It’s a budget console with budget specs, not sure why people are even surprised, or “acting” surprised.

Yes you do, warriors gotta warrior.

inflation

plenty of games supports 120fps on the series X heck even some games on the ps5 right?
AFAIK, it's Dirt 5 and COD:CW on both. Xbox side has more like Gears 5 and etc. I think it's a feature mainly advocated by MS, and not many other companies on boat yet.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I find it funny that in a lot of threads there are a lot of people saying 4k 30fps is unacceptable they would rather have 1080p 60fps with next gen visuals, now the S is giving that they saying its bad? yeah its a budget console

HTK

Banned
If they don't support 1440p at 120fps for PS5, that's just unacceptable and downright the wrong approach to this next generation.

It should be 4k/60fps, 1440p/120fps, 1080/120fps

Mmnow

Are you suggesting that S owners don't own 4k TV or will not in the next few years? Scaling effects aside (so small you won't notice) 1440P is 2x the pixels of 1080P.
I am suggesting that anybody who owns or will own a 4k TV and also bought the S knows what they are getting. If you cared about 4k output on your 4k tv, you'd have bought the console that outputs at 4k.

Else it's fair to presume the S is 'good enough'. If it wasn't they wouldn't have bought it.

Mr Moose

What's the other part?
The Xbox Series S will support most of the visual enhancements available on the Series X.
Watch_Dogs 3 water.
Kidding, but maybe.

Sony fucktards when PS5 can only do dynamic 4k......"we don't care about resolution anymore"

Sont fucktards upon learning about series s at 1080p......"omg my vagina is all moist".
Need a hug?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Sony fucktards when PS5 can only do dynamic 4k......"we don't care about resolution anymore"

Sont fucktards upon learning about series s at 1080p......"omg my vagina is all moist".

Seriously. What you're seeing might be correct, but it is SOP for all console warriors, regardless of brand.

This kind of yelling doesn't help. Do you want a cool message board where everyone can discuss? Or a GameFaqs trashfire?

Sometimes people will say things that get you heated, or maybe just aren't correct at all. There's ways to address the latter without playing into it, and making things worse, and the former can always be a productive conversation between two points of view.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
sony 250 mill deal with epic?

If it wasn't clear, I was joking. Seems like all multiplatform games so far are targeting exactly the same framerate and resolution on both real next-gen consoles. Some people thought we were gonna have a PS4 vs XB1 or PS4 Pro vs XB1X situation again (which was always ridiculous, as the power gap is MUCH smaller this time around).

I play this game with my son a lot. We have PS5 and Series X coming at launch.

Here is what disappoints me:

1. No 120 FPS Competitive mode anywhere
2. No raytracing casual mode option
3. Nothing about Tempest Engine or Project Acoustics. (The 3d audio on PS4 is pretty good though.)

Here is what intrigues me:

1. Support for Sony's DualSense pad.
2. Will it be any faster to get into a match?
3. What is the input lag like, especially with the new Xbox Pad?
4. Will this be equivalent to PC Ultra settings? I think 2080S is slightly under 60FPS in 4k Ultra on PC.

Looking forward to the Spring Unreal 5 version. I really hope it has the modes listed above.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Else it's fair to presume the S is 'good enough'. If it wasn't they wouldn't have bought it.

Can't beat that logic. I was arguing that eventually all TVs are going to be 4k, so why buy a console for PS3 era TVs? Even 1440P is great on a 4k TV.

Last edited:

vkbest

8 cores minus 2 = 6 cores at 1.6Ghz
16 threads minus 2 to 4? = 12 to 14 threads at 3.5Ghz+

A weak jaguar + weak vega gpu outguns a newer ryzen + newer navi¿

Guy even if they have dedicated cores to the system, you can’t negate those cores. Besides PS4, Pro and One could use 7 cores too for games

Last edited:

Elios83

If it wasn't clear, I was joking. Seems like all multiplatform games so far are targeting exactly the same framerate and resolution on both real next-gen consoles. Some people thought we were gonna have a PS4 vs XB1 or PS4 Pro vs XB1X situation again (which was always ridiculous, as the power gap is MUCH smaller this time around).

Indeed, this is something really important that some people are really trying not to see until it will become evident in the technical comparisons.
The fact that most if not all games so far are targeting the same resolution/frame rate/ray tracing modes on PS5/XSX.
Maybe XSX will have more stable frame rates, maybe games will spend more time at the upper bound of resolution (when resolution is dynamic) but this is a far cry from what many were expecting and convinced themselves (little to no ray tracing on PS5, all games running at 4K60fps on XSX and 1440p-4k@30 fps on PS5).

At the same time it's clear that 1440p for Series S is just marketing. If games like Yakuza and Fortnite are 900-1080p I don't know what's gonna happen late next year when the cross gen phase will start to fade and actual next gen games are released more commonly.

Top Bottom