• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking terrible PC ports and their motherfucking stuttering!

OuterLimits

I've been a PC gamer for years. And I have to admit that PS5 is the best option right now. Almost every game have 60fps mode and gyro aim support, so I dont need the hight FPS and mouse gameplay that PC has.

Well, we are also still in a period where cross gen is prevalent and new games have to be playable(barely) on PS4 which wasn't great tech even when it released.

Let's see what it looks like in a couple years. My guess is we will once again be seeing threads about 30fps being totally acceptable because it will be the norm for the majority of big releases.

Last edited:

Griffon

Maybe OP shouldn't preorder trashy AAA console ports.

Btw Elden Ring and Cyberpunk both ran well on my outdated rig from 2016 (GTX 1070), so I don't know what else to say to that. I had to lower a bunch of settings of course.

Your GTX1060 is way too outdated for next gen games like Callisto Protocol, thinking you can max it is dellusion.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I have a 6650xt, my computer is midrange by today's standards. But the most used gpu on steam is a 1060... one of my friends uses a 1060 and he can't play any of the new games because of the stupid system requirements.
this-test-has.jpg

That is a lie.
What games in your "any new games list" can he NOT play.
Cuz a GTX 1060'6G will launch pretty much any game and allow you to play on low, you could probably mix and match low/med/high and get decent performance.
A GTX 1060'3G is almost always VRAM limited, and you cant blame devs for not packing textureless assets.

A GTX 1060 will even run Flight Simulator which is one of the most taxing games out right now.
Cyberpunk 2077 arguably the most taxing game out will run on a GTX 1060 @ 1080p with FSR.

So please.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Sucks for those who preorder but as always after a few patches balance is usually restored and PC version look and perform the best. I used to play Cyberpunk at ~60 fps in Ultra on a 1080Ti around launch, and console version were shit, so I don’t know why you mention that game here, with gsync it looked silky smooth. And Elden Ring ran great 99% of the time even on my old PC. Can’t talk about Callisto Protocol but I’m pretty sure it’ll be patched. Chill OP it’ll be alright.

nkarafo

The most annoying thing about this situation is all the console fanboys coming out of the woodwork, claiming how PCs suck and we should get a console.

Even though for many decades, thousands of PC games never had this problem so this isn't really a general PC issue and it's actually something new that started recently and only with the shitty UE4 engine and some devs that don't give a shit about their PC ports.

I agree that having a console right now, especially a PS5, is the best deal. PC gaming has gone through some terrible situations lately, like the graphics card prices. But this particular issue is 100% a shitty developer + shitty engine usage.

Can’t talk about Callisto Protocol but I’m pretty sure it’ll be patched. Chill OP it’ll be alright.

Unfortunately, shader cache issues are ignored by the devs. Stray wasn't fixed, Scorn wasn't fixed and this probably won't get fixed either.

Last edited:

yamaci17

well its already fixed
gg

for the "argument" that 1060 can't run games... it's a 1080p / medium card. it is only 2x stronger than a PS4. you cannot expect it to run super high framerates with high(ultra settings. if you give it decent, optimized, console like settings, you will get good performance out of it.

even the, if you accept 30 FPS on consoles playable, then there's no point arguing that 1060 can't play any games. you can even run most games at high settings and it will still render above 35+ FPS in most cases

stray - 1080p medium (ps4 like settings ) 80-110 fps

elden ring - 1080p medium almost a locked 60 fps

rdr 2 - 1080p xbox one x equivalent raster settings - almost a locked 60 fps

saints row - 1080p med - 50-70 FPS

dying light 2 - 1080p low 35-45 FPS (PS5 runs the game at 900p with low settings. running fsr quality on 1060 easily brings framerates to 50+ range. so the gpu still runs or have the potential to run better depending on YOUR expectations of a 8 year old GPU)

cyberpunk - 1080p low 35-50 FPS (i dont even want to compare it to any console. it would be not pleasant. then you have medium settings that run around 35-40 FPS as well)

here's the case: "low" does not mean "bad". both Cyberpunk and Dying Light 2 even on "supposed" low settings ASIDE from texture quality will still look DECENT and better than most games. that is the problem. if you cant understand that, no wonder some of you are disgruntled with a 1060. its almost as if someone promised you ultra 60 FPS at 1440p automatically when you bought a lower midrange GPU for 2016

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Unfortunately, shader cache issues are ignored by the devs. Stray wasn't fixed, Scorn wasn't fixed and this probably won't get fixed either.
Shader comp issues have already been resolved.
The game now does a comp run at initial boot.

nkarafo

for the "argument" that 1060 can't run games... it's a 1080p / medium card. it is only 2x stronger than a PS4. you cannot expect it to run super high framerates with high(ultra settings. if you give it decent, optimized, console like settings, you will get good performance out of it.

I still have a 1060 6GB.

I played Elden Ring at high settings / 1080p at 40fps perfectly (i have a 240hz monitor).

I'm now playing Spiderman Remastered at high settings / 1080p at 40fps as well, with no slowdowns so far.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
"The worst thing about this situation"
Ok, but this is like “this is different, it is happening to me”. Sure thing though, it is annoying. Especially as there is a push to consolise the PC experience (or push backs against the natural min spec bump when a new console gen arrives and takes hold) and a push to PCfy the console one (with more and more settings and config options and longer cross generation periods, Pro mid gen upgrades, etc…).

There are pros to both setups for me.

GustavoLT

Some games needs time... others you just need to forget about it... tried FarCry 6 some time ago and it was unplayable due to stutters... last night tried again and it is fixed! I cant deal with low res/fps on consoles anymore... at least for now. Maybe PS5pro or 6 will bring me back!

yamaci17

I still have a 1060 6GB.

I played Elden Ring at high settings / 1080p at 40fps perfectly (i have a 240hz monitor).

I'm now playing Spiderman Remastered at high settings / 1080p at 40fps as well, with no slowdowns so far.
yup and 40 FPS on PC on a 120/240 HZ screen with VRR is super smooth. I've been playing a lot of games at 40 FPS even with better hardware, simply because how smooth it can be. spiderman at 40 FPS / 120 HZ is simply buttery smooth to a point you could fool a lot of people into thinking it actually runs at 60 FPS. People of course sleep on how low lag, smooth 40 FPS you can achieve on PC even with a low end hardware. You practically are not bound to using Vsync. and 40 FPS itself is already a huge upgrade over 30, and better yet, it is not that hard to achieve. And then you even have some budget to push higher fidelity settings, which is icing on the cake.
60/75 hz users can employ 50 HZ /50 FPS or 37 FPS / 75 HZ tricks however

Fredrik

Unfortunately, shader cache issues are ignored by the devs. Stray wasn't fixed, Scorn wasn't fixed and this won't get fixed either.
People talked about it around the Elden Ring launch but it was super rare for me, happened like 2-3 times per gaming session, max. And on my new PC I can barely even catch it, it’s like a split second stutter and a speedup and it happens extremely rarely. Never noticed it in Scorn but haven’t played that long. All in all I think it’s a highly exaggerated topic.

I haven’t played Callisto Protocol though, maybe it’s worse there idk. But there will be patches and I assume you won’t be stuck playing in 30fps to get RT if your hardware can handle it. Just give devs some time to sort things out.

Edit: Apparently already fixed?

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
As opposed to the PCMR railings and the port beg of exclusives to PC? This is the worst thing?

The only thing worst that port begging is constant patch begging in every thread. "Gee, I really wish this would be patched for current gen".

Well guess what, it won't be. That's the difference. Ports are coming. Patches are not.

The behaviour of some users in this thread from both console and PC side is pathetic.

16 years of PC gaming i learned that you never buy games for PC, they run like shit, you pirate them if you want to be early adopter. Play the game and if you liked it then buy the game to support the developers (who does bullshit like that?) Or you add two months to every game release day and you will get the game patched and cheaper. If you played Calisto unprotocol at January what would be the difference? why you bought the game and now you complain. Could you not wait 2 days to see what is performance and then decide?
You order to eat shit and now you complain why it tastes like shit?

rofif

Banned
PC still blows everything out of the water with time and patience.

Imagine paying 60 dollars a year to be allowed to go online after you spent 80 dollars to buy a game.
Yeah better pirate shot for free and buys from cdkeys. Pc players are used to being spoiled with pricing and honestly it could devalue games in the future.
Games are expensive to make.

nkarafo

Never noticed it in Scorn but haven’t played that long. All in all I think it’s a highly exaggerated topic.

How is that even possible? Did they fix it? Did someone else played it for you and built the cache before you played it? I played it on launch and it almost ruined the experience for me. Every new area or effect would produce a severe stutter.

Elden Ring had a different, less severe issue that manifests much less frequently. It's not an Unreal 4 game either.

Fredrik

How is that even possible? Did they fix it? Did someone else played it for you and built the cache before you played it? I played it on launch and it almost ruined the experience for me. Every new area or effect would produce a severe stutter.

Elden Ring had a different, less severe issue that manifests much less frequently. It's not an Unreal 4 game either.
No idea, I played the Gamepass version but not at launch and not for long, I can go check again.

Edit: Yup you’re right nkarafo nkarafo there is stutter at the start of new areas, just played til the big desert kind of area, as soon as I started moving after the navel string cutscene it was like it ran at 15 fps for 5 seconds or so. Seems like it’s only a start of the level issue though, had no prob later at least with a 24GB card, maybe everything is in memory after the initial load?

I think the worst one for me was The Ascent Gamepass version at launch, it literally froze the game to 0fps for a second or so.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
16 years of PC gaming i learned that you never buy games for PC, they run like shit, you pirate them if you want to be early adopter.
What a shit tier take, steam/uplay/origin all have guaranteed refund policies so you can just try it yourself and refund if you don't like what you see.

What a shit tier take, steam/uplay/origin all have guaranteed refund policies so you can just try it yourself and refund if you don't like what you see.
What a shit tier response, at steam you have max two hours game time to be able to refund the game. There are games that the problems start after this period or you try to troubleshoot it and the the game time is running. Shit takes is when you don't have idea what you are talking about but you still want to input your opinion.

Azurro

Banned
I don't think I should be punished because Nvidia fanboys can't manage their money

Isn't that the point of PC gaming? To join a rat race where you spend hundreds every year or so to get an extra 20% FPS uplift in performance? Jump onto the treadmill boy. :p

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
There are games that the problems start after this period
Which ones?
What games released in the past year ran perfectly fine, but suddenly had severe performance issues after playing for two hour?
Zero, performance issues are always immediately apparent, and actual confirmed progression blockers (as in can't continue and no eta for a fix) will be eligible for a refund even after the regular refund period, though I don't remember any game like that in the past year either.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Or: stop wasting your life and return to monke console gaming - we have stutter free Elden Ring and Unreal Engine games!
but i like PC gaming, i'm not asking for a console solution because i have a Series S already
but i'd like to play these games on my perferred platform.... it's not PC's fault as much as it is the developers

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Isn't that the point of PC gaming? To join a rat race where you spend hundreds every year or so to get an extra 20% FPS uplift in performance? Jump onto the treadmill boy. :p
no?????? unless you're being sarcastic here that was never what i wanted to get a PC for

Hohenheim

This tread makes it seem like every game runs like shit on PC and perfect on console. Yeah, the Callisto PC performance yesterday was a huge let down and I refunded it, but that was the first time I ever had to refund a PC game because of this issue.

I like both PC and consoles, but there's no doubt about the fact that a good PC will run most games better than the consoles. Latest example for me was Plague Tale Requem.
I played it smoothly with 120fps on my PC and my alternative would be 30fps on my ps5. That's a no brainer.

That being said, it's annoying when optimalization is lacking when the hardware is ready to deliver a great experience. Very annoying.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The problem is that there isn’t one PC there’s a thousand configurations on top of no entity that certifies games for release like a console has.

PC gamers really need to take the bad with the good, and learn that they should wait a couple of days before buying a game.

Buggy Loop

I never buy blindly on PC until I hear about performances. Batman Arkham knight is a good exemple. Played like shit at launch and now it’s brilliant. Red dead redemption 2, super hard to perform at launch and now there’s many optimizations and DLSS and reflex. Etc

Never preorder guys. Why would you need to launch/play the game at midnight on release day? You cannot convince me that you don’t have a huge backlog already anyway. Put the game on a wish list and wait.

Last edited:

pasterpl

The problem is that there isn’t one PC there’s a thousand configurations on top of no entity that certifies games for release like a console has.

PC gamers really need to take the bad with the good, and learn that they should wait a couple of days before buying a game.
Nope. The problem is low quality dev and cost cutting on QA process.

sachos

prevents midrange from bring able to max out the game easily.
I agree with what you say OP, except this. Maxing out a game SHOULD be hard (and actually make a tangible difference in image quality), it should push hardware to the limit and use graphics techniques that maybe need future hardware to trully enjoy. That was the Crysis experience. I don't know were this expectation of mid range hardware being able to max a game came from, "Ultra" used to mean something no?

Danknugz

i think that ultimately if you only really play video games and are not a technically oriented person then you should avoid PC gaming.

PC gaming always was an aside from the main purpose of owning a PC which was to have a workstation that serves multiple purposes. Only in the past 10-15 years has it become a "thing" where people will build a PC (or heavens forbid a prebuilt) with the sole purpose to only game with it, to me that's kind of an absurd approach to PCs in general and a waste of money.

historically if you own a PC (not a laptop or phone) then you're generally a technical/engineer type and have no issues with tinkering and optimizing.

Haggard

Banned
This is exactly why I went the PS5 route. PC is only good for Emulators now when it comes to gaming. Otherwise, the best experience/ exclusives/ optimization etc. is on the PS5.
Bullshit.
95% of available games are hassle free and run and look best on PC by far given the right hardware.
You hypocrites see a few games where the developer couldn't be bothered to deal with very well known engine issues and suddenly it's "bad PC" again.....
Imagine if we'd post shit like you just did every time PC got better tech and performance in a game, you'd not be able to read anything else anymore.

You guys must be really bored..I have no other explanation for stuff like that.

Last edited:

Zug

This is nothing new indeed : never buy multi-platform games on PC at launch.
Wait for a year or so that the beta testing ends (if there was any), then maybe snag it for a fraction of the cost.
As long as publishers are not sanctionned for delivering unfinished products, this will keep happening.

Last edited:
Top Bottom