• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emulation on the Deck

Romulus

The real difference is 720p. Most of these emulators using a 1060 gpu are running 1080p at a minimum. A small screen looks fine at 720p though.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Again - lets not pretend that the majority of people using the Deck to emulate games aren't going to be pirating games illegally. We're not idiots.
There is no alternative except dumping the Roms by yourself. As long as there is no alternative that provides a service as good or better than what the privates offer, this won't change as piracy is a service problem.

And to be honest, I am happy that Rom-Sharing exists because otherwise a significant part of gaming history would be lost already. Most companies aren't good at preserving gaming history, most are pretty bad at it and some are absurdly bad at it like Nintendo. Therefore, it is good that it is in the hands of the community.

let's not pretend that the people talking about emulating them on their Deck have a Switch or every game that they're going to emulate.
We also shouldn't pretend that everyone who emulates is poor or doesn't want to pay for games.

Moreover, pirates and legal users are largely the same people: demographically, pirates resemble legal users quite closely, although on average they tend to be somewhat younger and more often male. More importantly, for each content type and country, 95% or more of pirates also consume content legally and their median legal consumption is typically twice that of non-pirating legal users.
https://www.ivir.nl/publicatie…l-Online-Piracy-Study.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I doubt it tbh. Most of the people that buy a Deck are going to be people with big Steam collections. The overlap of those people and those with switches, especially switches that are on the correct firmware etc needed to be able to get an emulator to work legally, would be tiny.

Again - lets not pretend that the majority of people using the Deck to emulate games aren't going to be pirating games illegally. We're not idiots.

filthy pirate
Shame on you

you can rip games you buy legally

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
I doubt it tbh. Most of the people that buy a Deck are going to be people with big Steam collections. The overlap of those people and those with switches, especially switches that are on the correct firmware etc needed to be able to get an emulator to work legally, would be tiny.

You actually don't have a clue about this.

But just in case, I think we should take to court everyone who buys a Deck immediately after they hit the "order button", in case they emulate the Switch, and don't have one nor the games they emulate.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I’d say that there are more important things to be concerned about in life than if emulated games are pirated or backups.

And in the end I’m gonna be bold and assume that the Switch emulation talk in Steam Deck discussions is mostly theoretical and about what the hardware is capable of doing rather than that people are dreaming of playing Switch games on the go on another 7” 720p portable.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
And in the end I’m gonna be bold and assume that the Switch emulation talk in Steam Deck discussions is mostly theoretical and about what the hardware is capable of doing rather than that people are dreaming of playing Switch games on the go on another 7” 720p portable.
I see Wii U being possible but Switch emulation is still in its infant years.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I’d say that there are more important things to be concerned about in life than if emulated games are pirated or backups.

There are more important things in life to be concerned about than video games, so I guess we shouldn’t ever mention them then, right?

KiteGr

I wanted a strong handheld windows machine to emulate all games that got region locked out of Europe. That mainly includes up to ps2 on Sony's side, and up to WiiU on Nintendo's side.

FStubbs

The real difference is 720p. Most of these emulators using a 1060 gpu are running 1080p at a minimum. A small screen looks fine at 720p though.
Not to mention again, people are saying the Deck is straight up more powerful than the 1060 at any resolution.

fersnake

Natively play PC/steam
Emulate Switch with Yuzu
Emulate WiiU with Cemu
Emulate the rest with retroarch
Emulate PS4/PS5 with VLC

Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice

rnlval

Taken from a post I did in another thread...
(And this is on a 5 months old yuzu build. The improvement done since then (posted in this thread), I have not seen anyone post a youtube video testing on something as a Aya Neo device)

Aya Neo running Yuzu + Super Mario Odyssey

Aya Neo Specs

CPURyzen 5 4500U
GPURadeon RX Vega 6
Display7-inch 1280 x 800 (16:10)
RAM16 GB LPDDR4X-4266 Dual Channel
Ports3x USB-C (2x DP and PD), 3.5 mm combo audio
Battery47 Wh

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Ryzen_processors#Zen_2_based_2

Steam Deck,
CPU: Ryzen Zen 2 with 4C/8T 2.5 Ghz to 3.5 Ghz, similar to Ryzen Pro 3 4450U

GPU: RDNA v2 8 CU at 1.6 TFLOPS FP32, roughly equivalent to 2 TFLOPS FP32 Vega GCN. Steam Deck beats Ryzen 7 4700U's Vega 7 (1.433 TFLOPS Vega) and Ryzen 7 4980U's Vega 8 (1.998 TFLOPS).

RAM: 128 bit LPDDR5-5500 (88 GB/s) beats 128 bit DDR4-3200 (51.2 GB/s) by 71.8%, not factoring RDNA's "Delta Color Compression Everywhere" superiority.
Steam Deck implements quad-channel LPDDR5-5500X 32bit.

Dual-channel LPDDR4X-4266 32 bit yields 35 GB/s similar to Ryzen 5 2500U's 128 bit DDR-2400 (38.4 GB/s).

128 bit LPDDR5-5500 (88 GB/s) beats dual-channel LPDDR4X-4266 (35 GB/s) by 151%.

AMD iGPUs are bottlenecked by memory bandwidth when compared to dGPU counterparts.

Last edited:

Fredrik

There are more important things in life to be concerned about than video games, so I guess we shouldn’t ever mention them then, right?
There certainly are but I just don’t see the point in the emulation=piracy talk, you’re just dropping in with a bunch of assumtions about a whole group of people you don’t actually know anything at all about, your talk will literally be based on nothing unless every single person you assume things about will tell you how it actually is.

MrFunSocks

Banned
There certainly are but I just don’t see the point in the emulation=piracy talk, you’re just dropping in with a bunch of assumtions about a whole group of people you don’t actually know anything at all about, your talk will literally be based on nothing unless every single person you assume things about will tell you how it actually is.
The point was that it's pretty clear that the large majority of the people shouting "yesssss now i can play switch games how they should be, not like how the shitty underpowered switch plays them! suck that nintendo!" do not in fact have a Switch and did not pay for switch games, they'll be pirating them. That's fine, but it's people pretending that it's not the case is the problem.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The point was that it's pretty clear that the large majority of the people shouting "yesssss now i can play switch games how they should be, not like how the shitty underpowered switch plays them! suck that nintendo!" do not in fact have a Switch and did not pay for switch games, they'll be pirating them. That's fine, but it's people pretending that it's not the case is the problem.
I haven’t seen anyone saying this and you can’t possibly know that they don’t have a Switch or the games.
To me it just sounds like standard excitement to play at a higher fps. Happens everytime there is an exclusive 30fps Playstation and Xbox game coming to PC as well. Lots of people who are excited about such releases are returning customers.

Porcile

Nice if it can play Dolphin, but emulation is a tad overrated as a feature. It's nice to have like backwards compatibility but how many people are playing emulated games beyond the novelty of getting these games up and running? That seems to be the fetish for most people in the emulation scene.

FStubbs

Nice if it can play Dolphin, but emulation is a tad overrated as a feature. It's nice to have like backwards compatibility but how many people are playing emulated games beyond the novelty of getting these games up and running? That seems to be the fetish for most people in the emulation scene.
Neogaf is part of the emulation scene as far as Nintendo games go. Actually playing on Nintendo hardware seems to be gauche.

Porcile

Neogaf is part of the emulation scene as far as Nintendo games go. Actually playing on Nintendo hardware seems to be gauche.

Yes, everyone here is playing their brand new Switch games emulated and playing GBA games all day. I am sure the vast majority of people could count on one hand the games they have completed via emulation. Let's face it, what people like is the novelty of getting games running on alternative devices and building ROM libraries that they will never ever play.

Fredrik

Yeah it’s niche and mostly for nostalgic old farts like me, but I love it, emulation can be awesome on the right hardware. Hard to know how it’ll be on the Deck though. The most common problem with emulation is the input. How is the D-Pad?

Shubh_C63

Since the Deck will apparently run Switch games better than the Switch can (according to some on this forum)

Does it mean that going forward it doesn't matter if Switch games have poor frame-rate,

Cause the Deck will run them at a flawless 60fps anyway?

Idk. I tried running emulator for Mario Odyssey on 1060 Ti, i5 9300H (laptop) and it was just..ok. Not 60fps or not free of performance issues.

Zelda however runs like a dream. So I doubt emulator on Steam Deck's CPU can handle Nintendo-AAA games.

Yes, everyone here is playing their brand new Switch games emulated and playing GBA games all day. I am sure the vast majority of people could count on one hand the games they have completed via emulation. Let's face it, what people like is the novelty of getting games running on alternative devices and building ROM libraries that they will never ever play.
I never touched a real N64 or PS2, I only played on a PS1 at a friend's house, I sold my Megadrive after a few years and never saw the 32x expansion, the only tape player that could jack into my Delta-S spectrum-clone stopped working a decade ago and I never had more than the two cassettes for it that I originally got it with, and the only console I played for any length of time and with any variety was the NES - and even then it was a clone called a Dendy. For handhelds, I briefly had a loaned original Gameboy, and later had a GBA SP of my own. Never got a DS, never saw a GameGear.

Most of my experience with those platforms, most of the games I played from all of them - all of the games I played, for some of them - was through emulators.

I believe you'll find there are entire swathes of people you don't know, whose only exposure to gaming classics that rival many modern offerings, was through emulators. Just because they couldn't afford the real deal, or never had it available in their country until it was far too late.

UnNamed

Banned
When you can emulate PS360, WiiU and Switch you basically can emulate everything. Deck should be able to emulate this systems, so it's a penultimate emulator machine. Because the ultimate emulator machine is Series S.

kiphalfton

Had no idea Switch emulation was that good. Have you got any YouTube video links of Switch games running on emulators fullspeed with no glitches, I'd like to check them out as you created a thread confirming good switch emulation so I assume you are correct in this
People who don't get paid to develop software (i.e. the emulator) can't get it to run as well as the native hardware (i.e. the Nintendo switch).

I'm SHOCKED!

FStubbs

People who don't get paid to develop software (i.e. the emulator) can't get it to run as well as the native hardware (i.e. the Nintendo switch).

I'm SHOCKED!
People in these topics are claiming the Deck can run Switch games better than the Switch.

D

Deleted member 820760

Unconfirmed Member
OMG! Am I the only one who read the title as "Emulation on the Dick" lololololol!!!1

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Since the Deck will apparently run Switch games better than the Switch can (according to some on this forum)

Does it mean that going forward it doesn't matter if Switch games have poor frame-rate,

Cause the Deck will run them at a flawless 60fps anyway?
Emulation probably won't improve frame rate much, but it can improve resolution and image quality.

Rudius

I mean. If you're okay with basically piracy, then yeah. At least up to a point.
You could buy Switch games just to pay the developers and play the emulated copies on Deck. That's not feasible for old emulated systems, but the Switch is different.

Kenpachii

Lol at those idiots with there piracy remarks.

1) its perfectly legal, these guys write there own software.
2) u have no clue what people are doing, u assuming shit is you assuming shit. And says more about yourself then the other guy.
3) nobody cares about if somebody rips its game or not, or if they own it or not.
4) nobody on PC cares about nintendo's feelings anyway, they have no market presence there and people will provide on PC themselves if the company doesn't do it.
5) there is absolute no proof in any way that piracy if it even happens, impacts sales for a manufacturer. ( PC gaming generates ~30b a year almost as much as all consoles combined, and even with the juggernaut success called classic, its clear people pay and this is proven over and over again. Before dumb asses start to chant this.
6) U want people to care on PC about nintendo's feelings, release the games on PC. U don't? people will provide for themselves. Welcome to PC where gamers don't take shit for granted.

The only shit i see in this thread about people bitching about piracy, are salty as fuck switch owners that realize how much of a dud there handheld really is. When a handheld can emulate your games in the same gen on another handheld at better solutions. It's laughable bad.

And all u got to thanks for it is nintendo's absolute lack of progress and it bites them in the ass hard with there last oled version. If the switch pro or switch 2 would be deck specs + steam support, everybody and there mom would applaud them for it. But the company is so far backwards with everything, not a single fuck was given.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I wouldn't bet on emulating Switch games at full speed on the Deck.

Also, the emulator is far from mature. Can it even play half of the Switch games? And how many bugs and glitches do these games have if they are compatible?

Emulation is hard people. All these older system emulators you take for granted needed a lot of years to mature, some even decades and they are still not 100% compatible/accurate.

Last edited:

FStubbs

I wouldn't bet on emulating Switch games at full speed on the Deck.

Also, the emulator is far from mature. Can it even play half of the Switch games? And how many bugs and glitches do these games have if they are compatible?

Emulation is hard people. All these older system emulators you take for granted needed a lot of years to mature, some even decades and they are still not 100% compatible/accurate.
People are showing videos of systems dramatically weaker than Steamdeck like the Aya Neo running Super Mario Odyssey at 60fps

nkarafo

People are showing videos of systems dramatically weaker than Steamdeck like the Aya Neo running Super Mario Odyssey at 60fps
Ok. How about other games?

Old Raspberry Pi3s can run Mario 64 at full speed but good luck managing Conker on the same emulators/settings.

Some games are easier to emulate than others. Some games may also be heavily targeted by the emulator authors, like how BOTW was the target for CEMU and the game played great, even though most others had all sorts of issues.

Look, i'm not saying the Deck isn't going to be able to do it but knowing about emulation, my expectations are low.

Top Bottom