• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eminem's Best Verse of All Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to mention Kanye too, but figured that's arguable. College Dropout has a few meh tracks I always forget about, whereas MMLP is pretty much solid from front to back. Not a fan of Graduation, I really like LR and Dark Fantasy is good

Em's best three are better than Ghostface's best three (Supreme Clientele, Iron Man, Bulletproof Wallets original version)? Ice Cube? Common (Resurrection, Be, Water For Chocolate)? I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree bro...

edit: Em is a better rapper than Cube, but Cube's best albums>Em's

hyduK

Banned
ReconYoda said:
I would argue your wrong, i dont care if Em isnt considered the greatest, but Cube wordplay doesnt beat Ems.
Yeah, but like I said above, the standards were different then. Straight Outta Compton would be considered extremely primitive, basic, etc. by todays standards. It's a really hard comparison to make.

Cipherr

PhoenixDark said:
but I'm so fucking tired of his white fans

Fucking makes me sick seeing people rehash this stupid as statement. Reads straight off of Boxden Allhiphop and SOHH. Pulling race into it when it don't belong. Miss me with that shit, seriously.

hyduK

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
I was going to mention Kanye too, but figured that's arguable. College Dropout has a few meh tracks I always forget about, whereas MMLP is pretty much solid from front to back. Not a fan of Graduation, I really like LR and Dark Fantasy is good

Em's best three are better than Ghostface's best three (Supreme Clientele, Iron Man, Bulletproof Wallets original version)? Ice Cube? Common (Resurrection, Be, Water For Chocolate)? I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree bro...

edit: Em is a better rapper than Cube, but Cube's best albums>Em's

I'm not really disagreeing, I just don't think it would be a huge victory for either side (unless it's Nas). All the albums listed are more or less flawless. I still maintain that Ice Cube/Common are pretty much impossible to directly compare to Em though.

But I thank you for reminding me how amazing Ghostface is, I haven't bumped his shit in a while.

hyduK said:
Yeah, but like I said above, the standards were different then. Straight Outta Compton would be considered extremely primitive, basic, etc. by todays standards. It's a really hard comparison to make.

Not exactly. Ice Cube and Eminem may have different styles but Ice Cube was the best at what he did and could go up against rappers with different styles doing it.

And Eminem, while great, is not the best at what he does.

Recon

Banned
WrathOfOtaibah said:
Not exactly. Ice Cube and Eminem may have different styles but Ice Cube was the best at what he did and could go up against rappers with different styles doing it.

And Eminem, while great, is not the best at what he does.

On a pure technical level, i think he could go toe to toe against anybody.

LegoArmo

Eminem is, in my opinion, the greatest writer in rap today.

Much prefer him over beats like the ones on The Slim Shady LP (or the EP which is great too) though. Production was Recovery's biggest weakness, in my opinion.

He was a lot funnier back in the day too. As The World Turns is genius. And his voice, that's been getting worse over the years to the point where he sounds like he's straining his vocal chords.

Lyrics are still up there with the best of them though.

Recon

Banned
When 60 minutes interviewed him in the studio, it was cool to see how he writes, and he keeps everything he has ever written with him, in case there is something in there he can use.

hyduK said:
I was with you till that part. There's a reason he's never been outshined on a feature.

I think that reason is he was the best of his generation of rappers, and the new generation isn't up to par. While the old were not as good as they used to be. I think Kool G Rap did Em's style better, and Nas' style on Illmatic is comparable to Em's so there's that.

coldvein

Banned
ReconYoda said:
When 60 minutes interviewed him in the studio, it was cool to see how he writes, and he keeps everything he has ever written with him, in case there is something in there he can use.

i watched the same recently and found it pretty enjoyable. some good insights on his methods, some good insight on how he even managed to fucking stay alive. which is pretty fucking incredible.

so somebody is bringing up ICE CUBE in this thread, right now? hahahaha. an em vs. cube battle would be rich. one would leave looking like a fat old chump, one would leave having retired said chump with little to no effort.

gimmmick

MisterOmegaOne said:
tumblr_lrzeal3gig1qh0n5do2_250.png

tumblr_lrzeal3gig1qh0n5do5_r1_250.png

Damn

My vote go towards renegade.

hyduK

Banned
WrathOfOtaibah said:
I think that reason is he was the best of his generation of rappers, and the new generation isn't up to par. While the old were not as good as they used to. I think Kool G Rap did Em's style better, and Nas' style on Illmatic is comparable to Em's so there's that.

Em's multis would shit on Kool G's.

I personally think Nas > Em (barely though) so I won't bother arguing that point.

coldvein

Banned
what's cool about this thread is that 80% of it is solid blox of incredibly well written words.. whereas the actual hop thread is just LOL STANS F U MIXTAPE MIXTAPE WHO CAREs

Recon

Banned
coldvein said:
what's cool about this thread is that 80% of it is solid blox of incredibly well written words.. whereas the actual hop thread is just LOL STANS F U MIXTAPE MIXTAPE WHO CAREs

Meh, we in the Hop thread try to broaden peoples horizon. It isnt all about whats making noise on the charts.

hyduK

Banned
And how can you discredit Em cause his features weren't during the primes?

Renegade?
What's the difference
Forgot about dre
The Anthem
Off the Wall
Dead Wrong
Patiently Waiting
Touchdown
Forever

Even the ones that aren't during the primes, his verses are still fucking ridiculous.

hyduK said:
Em's multis would shit on Kool G's.

I personally think Nas > Em (barely though) so I won't bother arguing that point.

I personally think Kool G in his prime can go up against Eminem in his prime, even though I like Eminem more. I'd argue for Big L too.

With that said, I think we can agree to disagree.

coldvein

Banned
ReconYoda said:
Meh, we in the Hop thread try to broaden peoples horizon. It isnt all about whats making noise oa the charts.

recon, i respect your taste. i even like it sometimes. and i step into official gaf hop every once in a while. but i completely detest the majority of what y'all are feeling in there. seriously. it's horrible.

Recon

Banned
coldvein said:
recon, i respect your taste. i even like it sometimes. and i step into official gaf hop every once in a while. but i completely detest the majority of what y'all are feeling in there. seriously. it's horrible.

Like what? We talk about every major release, but then we go off on some good mixtape shit. The rap game isnt in the mainstream anymore. Sure, there are some quality releases here and there, but the hungry rappers are doing tapes, and doing it well. If it wasnt for somebody plugging Wuz Here, i would of never been into Big Kritt, and he is one of my favorite rappers. I dont expect people to have the same taste as me, but what we talk about is far, far from horrible.

cdyhybrid

I feel like the only way to find out if Em's still got it is if a popular rapper tries to go at him with some really personal stuff - wake up the battle rapper in him. Em would subsequently murder him if he's still got it, but I wanna see the bloodthirsty, Nail in the Coffin Em.

coldvein

Banned
ReconYoda said:
Like what? We talk about every major release, but then we go off on some good mixtape shit. The rap game isnt in the mainstream anymore. Sure, there are some quality releases here and there, but the hungry rappers are doing tapes, and doing it well. If it wasnt for somebody plugging Wuz Here, i would of never been into Big Kritt, and he is one of my favorite rappers. I dont expect people to have the same taste as me, but what we talk about is far, far from horrible.

i see the promise in it and i know that that's how the future will be. dudes putting out tapes? love it. but let me know when dudes start putting out seriously good tapes.

Recon

Banned
coldvein said:
i see the promise in it and i know that that's how the future will be. dudes putting out tapes? love it. but let me know when dudes start putting out seriously good tapes.

Cole did, 3 times in fact. Kritts put out 2 album quality tapes. There is a lot of independent albums that get talked about in the thread too. I think my end of year top10 is gonna have quite a few tapes on it. Take a guy like Kendrick Lamar, he put out an album, loved it, but it isnt mainstream. Definitely in my top10 of the year.

LegoArmo

I'd take a good well put together album over a mixtape, any day, but when people like K.R.I.T. and J. Cole are releasing album quality stuff for free, I'm not complaining.

EDIT: Or what Recon said.

Recon

Banned
LegoArmo said:
I'd take a good well put together album over a mixtape, any day, but when people like K.R.I.T. and J. Cole are releasing album quality stuff for free, I'm not complaining.

The thing is, Kritt and Coles mixtapes sound like well put together albums.

LegoArmo

ReconYoda said:
The thing is, Kritt and Coles mixtapes sound like well put together albums.
Definitely, still need to hear Wuz Here, but I have a big backlog of albums that need listening to.

Anyway, Eminem... I can't wait to see what he comes out with next, I hope he simplifies things a little, I think he's been trying too hard the last few years. It should come natural.

Too many verses to name.

I think '25 to Life' doesn't get enough love. If you have been an Eminem fan for a long time, the first time you listen to this is mind blowing with the ending revelation, awesome switch up.

overcast

Seriously though, Em is easily one of the Greatest. He is just an incredible song writer and rhymer. He isn't one of my favorites but SSLP and MMLP are absolutely fantastic.

As for his best verse? I can't choose.

I really love that thread. It just shows so many aspects of the rap game. Not many (good) mixtapes are failed to be mentioned in the thread. It's also pretty damn funny.

Korey

Sutton Dagger said:
Too many verses to name.

I think '25 to Life' doesn't get enough love. If you have been an Eminem fan for a long time, the first time you listen to this is mind blowing with the ending revelation, awesome switch up.
Wow...I've listened to the song before but not closely and just caught that now thanks to you....Awesome! learn something new every day, added it to the OP

Bad meets evil (original)

'Cause this is what happens when bad meets evil
We hit the trees til' we look like Vietnamese people
He's evil, and I'm bad like Steve Segal
Above the law 'cause I don't agree with police either
(shit, me neither)
We ain't eager to be legal
So please leave me wi't the keys to your Jeep Eagle
I breathe ether in three amounts
When I stab myself in the knee with a diseased needle
Releasin' rage on anybody in squeezing range
Cold enough to make the seasons change into freezing rain (He's insane)
No I'm not, I just want to shoot up and I'm pissed off
'Cause I can't find a decent vain

So fuckin dope

NinjaBoiX

N4Us said:
I don't wanna be like this
I don't really want to hurt your feelings
But I'm only being real when I say
Nobody wants to hear their grandfather rap
This is the best Em verse you could think of? It doesn't even rhyme.

Temujin

Will Smith don't gotta cuss in his raps to sell records
well I do
so fuck him, and fuck you too.

(...I think it's pretty clever)

Milchjon

MrHicks said:
i'm one of those rappers should just be classified as poets instead of musicians guys and i stand by it

I disagree with that. English isn't my first language, and I was listening to Eminem and others for the music long before I understood a single word they said.

MrHicks

Banned
Milchjon said:
I disagree with that. English isn't my first language, and I was listening to Eminem and others for the music long before I understood a single word they said.

the "catchy beats" is the music part
the lyrics is the poetry

if Shakespeare delivers his lines accompanied by an orchestra i'm not gonna consider him a musician for it

LegoArmo

MrHicks said:
the "catchy beats" is the music part
the lyrics is the poetry

if Shakespeare delivers his lines accompanied by an orchestra i'm not gonna consider him a musician for it
But Eminem produced a lot of his own music, that he raps over.

black_13

Banned
Have to say that compared to most song lyrics today, Eminem's songs are definitely a giant leap higher.

Especially any other main stream rap that you compare him too, it all just pales in comparison.

Renegade is by far em's best verse. I don't think he will ever beat that. Delivery, cacadence, multi's, lyrics all perfect.

But he isn't even close to the best writer in the game, never has been.

Nas, Jay-z and even lupe beat him by miles.

He is however, one of the most versatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom