• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer Group Interim Report: Dead Island 2 Delayed to April 28th - Saints Row Underperformed - Volition Becoming Part of Gearbox Studios

Duchess

Volition will transition to become part of Gearbox
Would've loved a remake of Summoner :|

Edit: playing Summoner on my PS2, while a very clunky game, it was the first dark RPG I ever experienced, and I loved the atmosphere.

Last edited:

Anime-Vix

Idy8qmZ.jpg

Another interesting tidbit, question is what does this licensing deal look like and which partners
I think it going to be a combination of many things. It is either going to be a Gamepass deal. Some of Embracer games might launch day 1 on gamepass or PS Plus subscription service
The other option might be co publishing agreement like what EA and Tecmo Koei Is doing with Wild Hearts.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Damn, it's pretty sad to see Volition going out like this. They held out on the market for so many years, dating back to the good old days of 90s PC gaming...

I wonder how many of their current staff are the same people who worked on Freespace or the original Red Faction.

Loke

Maybe hot take, but the only really good game they ever made was Borderlands 2.

HL: Opposing Force was pretty great although it was an expansion pack so they only built upon an already legendary game.

Also wasn't a fan of how they managed Duke Nukem and their grievances with 3D Realms. As someone who loved DN games as a franchise its such a shame to see an IP go to complete waste.

I wish there were some way 3D Realms could get the IP back to be honest. Fortunately George Broussard doesn't work there anymore. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Another delay?
Are they trying to make a game, or beat some world record.

Feb to Apr is not that bad of a delay, and looking at all the games currently coming out in Q1, it makes sense to give this one a little breathing room.

diffusionx

Gold Member
“Partially polarized” lmao. People called out the game literally the day it was announced, the PR team just mocked them for it, and they kept doubling down. I dont remember a single review of the game talking about the story and characters positively. It was just a bad decision to turn it Zoomer Student Debt Row and they should have said so.

Nobody here sad that the Volition legacy stops here? Didn't play their latest because it never looked great, and they not necessarily made my all-time favorite games, but Volition had quite some history.
As always Volition is just a name on the building, the studio that made Freespace and Saints Row 2 and Red Faction Guerrilla is long gone. Dev teams really cant survive two bomba in a row these days.

MiguelItUp

Can't say I'm surprised about DI2, but hey, at least it's coming and it looks as good as it does. I really do hope it delivers through and through though. I wonder if Volition migrating has anything to do with how Saint's Row performed. Wouldn't be surprised.

GenericUser

Nobody here sad that the Volition legacy stops here? Didn't play their latest because it never looked great, and they not necessarily made my all-time favorite games, but Volition had quite some history.
  • Descent
  • Red Faction
  • Freespace
  • The Punisher
  • Saints Row
Etc. Pour one out for Volition!
pouring-one-out-crying.gif
No, not sorry, they did it to themselves.

The reception of Saints Row did not meet the full expectations and left the fanbase partially polarized.
Partially meaning a couple streamers that were paid to play it pretended to enjoy it despite it being a pile of shit?

Volition will transition to become part of Gearbox
I'm sure being placed under Randy will only make things better. Borderlands 3 was by far the worst game in the series despite having solid gameplay, unless Tiny Tina is somehow worse. I'll find out when it hits the bargain bin.

EDIT: Apparently Randy is no longer in charge of Gearbox games, rather some Steve Jones is running the current mess. Doubt it'll make much of a difference.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Feb to Apr is not that bad of a delay, and looking at all the games currently coming out in Q1, it makes sense to give this one a little breathing room.

True, it's not that bad. If it was the first delay.
But this game has been delayed many times, for several years now.

DaGwaphics

You can see the logic in them not wanting DI to get buried behind a lot of other releases. Looking forward to it, hopefully it is good.

Bragr

Banned
Sad to see Volition go into Gearbox of all places who are even worse.

That said most of the veterans including the founders have now retired from Volition, the reformed to make Overload a tribute to Descent the first game they worked on. Volition was formed from Descent team.
Can't believe I missed this, I love Descent and Forsaken.

There are so many games that fly under the radar these days.

How about all of the above? Trying to pretend the shitty ass writing and "fellow kids" vibe wasn't a major factor in the game's failure is just goofy.
Because that would imply that every other game that has done that exact thing also failed, which we all know is false.

Instead of thinking I'm trying to defend the game's aesthetic(or even defend this game at all for that matter), take a step back and realize that I'm looking at things from a logical point of view.

Dane

I think it going to be a combination of many things. It is either going to be a Gamepass deal. Some of Embracer games might launch day 1 on gamepass or PS Plus subscription service
The other option might be co publishing agreement like what EA and Tecmo Koei Is doing with Wild Hearts.
It has been reported that Eidos Montreal has been working in a new Fable game unrelated to Playground, apparently even more games with Xbox. People are now wondering if Embracer might have bought SQE with intention of selling them to Microsoft to flip for a quick profit.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The people who wrote Saints Row 2022 will be absorbed into the people who wrote Borderlands 3. They will soon write the worst writing ever written, if they haven't already done so. Maybe it will be a tie.
Just imagine a crossover. All the diversity, Gen-Z relatability, and clever anti-capitalist intellectual themes of Saints Row combined with the Claptraps and shit/piss/fart jokes of Borderlands

Last edited:

ungalo

You can shit on Gearbox but even an average spinoff like Tiny Tina whatever is probably better than all of what Volition made this last decade.

So yeah it's sad but Agents of Mayhem was sadder.

so i guess my dream of Embracer pumping money into Avengers was just that, a dream.

the Avengers ppl keep going radio silent for 4 months at a time, with zero content being released.

Stuart360

Agree. You don't put the name Saints Row on a zoomer power fantasy like this and expect decades-long fans of the series to play along. The reception for the game might have been different if they named it something else.
You have to wonder (and hope) if Rockstar will look at the Saints Row situation, and the fan backlash, closely in regards to how 'modern' they go with in GTA6.
Although its Rockstar isnt it, who are basically untouchable and will do what they want.

ReBurn

Gold Member
You have to wonder (and hope) if Rockstar will look at the Saints Row situation, and the fan backlash, closely in regards to how 'modern' they go with in GTA6.
Although its Rockstar isnt it, who are basically untouchable and will do what they want.
We'll see. People are hanging onto GTA V because they're invested in GTA Online. If they don't mess up the online game in the transition to GTA 6 they'll probably be fine even if there's a lot of politically correct gunk. Loads of people in GTA online don't care about the backstory of GTA V. Being too politically correct could be fatal to GTA 6 if the online world doesn't exist. And I'm sure it will exist.

JonSnowball

EDIT: Apparently Randy is no longer in charge of Gearbox games, rather some Steve Jones is running the current mess. Doubt it'll make much of a difference.
When Embracer acquired Gearbox the company restructured, Randy effectively gave himself a promotion. He's now the CEO of the "Gearbox Entertainment Group" and in that role he still calls all the shots but has appointed people to run Gearbox Software/Gearbox Publishing - those being Steve Jones/Steve Gibson.

They actually went there with that “haters gonna hate” shit.

Makes me laugh, they have to use established IPs for whatever it is they do and seem incapable or refuse to, create new worlds/IPs.

And this is another one that hasn’t worked.

Let’s not forget the state the game launched in , yet another example of release now, fix later with publishers expecting day one sales at increasing prices. Fuck off.

EDMIX

Flubbed the topic title, asked a mod to fix it.

But the biggest news here is that Volition is being 'given' to Gearbox (as a support studio). So, looks like no more Volition led games from here onward.

yea i was just about to say, why would the title say "Saints Row underperformed" and the actual comments literally support that it didn't. Saying something like "performed in line with management expectations" sounds like they got what they wanted to financially, but I expected that considering its on many platforms, ranked at the top in both US and UK and looked like they had a budget that fit what they thought it would sell. So them getting the sale they expected isn't really shocking imho. I think people who thought it wouldn't are a bit too busy with off topic shit to see this objectively.
Saints Row underperforming is kind of nice. I won't lie.
lol except it didn't. its even more nice that some of you got you hopes up on that one though lol

Fuz Fuz lol pretty much. People this triggered will believe anything they want to believe. They are beating off to a title even with the actual factual information suggesting it actually performed what they expected.

I mean...we literally fucking saw this game rank above Elden Ring, but some are holding on to this doooooom type of speak hoping the publisher will be like "FAILED beyond belief" or something. They are repeating the title of a thread someone made, more then the actual fucking factual information given by the publisher cause it doesn't fit their fake narrative.

FdGuxclacAE6Dh-

digoutyoursoul digoutyoursoul ? they are not a independent team, someone owns them. A new IP is upon the publisher to decide.

Remove a bit of that emotion from all that to understand why the game was made instead of this rage fest man lol Some of you get so deep into this shit its like you loose all common sense or reality and just start raging lol I'd like a new IP too btw, but I can't fault the team as they are not a independent team, I'd question the publisher and since the game performed as expected, I can't even blame the publisher in this respect as clearly they were just to choose that IP as they got a return they expected. I still believe they should do a new IP, but I'd ask Embracer to allow that in the future if they have some new ideas or something.

Last edited:
What’s so bad about calling out a weak product that was clearly unfinished yet expect people to pay full price for the day of release?

Don’t take this the wrong way, but you make out like I’m foaming at the mouth in rage or weeping in some “it’s not fair” tantrum. I just think it’s a shitty and unwelcome increasing habit that deserves no respect to the publishers hence the “fuck off”

As someone who likes the series , the first game and it’s multiplayer in particular, it’s in my interest for these games to be great dude.

The only agenda I have is to see great consoles and games .

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz

diffusionx

Gold Member
Who cares how it did in August 2022, nobody buys video games in the summer lol. Performing according to “management expectations” can mean all sorts of things, like they expected it to bomb because they realized it was a massive piece of shit. If the game did great then they would have said they have a new top tier franchise to build on, instead they are going to be working on Borderland maps or whatever going forward. Really says it all.

TransTrender

Gold Member
At this point waiting a bit more for Dead Island 2 is no big deal. We've waited this long and I'm curious how it will turn out.

I also remember when Volition made good games. Like Descent and Freespace.

• Descent
  • Red Faction
  • Freespace
  • The Punisher
  • Saints Row
Etc. Pour one out for Volition!
pouring-one-out-crying.gif
I doubt that modern Volition has anything to do with the studio that made those games. Same as how modern Bioware is just a name, everyone who made Bioware good left years ago.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Didn't know they made Descent for Interplay.
it's a much better game, even if it's a different genre.
yea i was just about to say, why would the title say "Saints Row underperformed" and the actual comments literally support that it didn't. Saying something like "performed in line with management expectations" sounds like they got what they wanted to financially, but I expected that considering its on many platforms, ranked at the top in both US and UK and looked like they had a budget that fit what they thought it would sell. So them getting the sale they expected isn't really shocking imho. I think people who thought it wouldn't are a bit too busy with off topic shit to see this objectively.

lol except it didn't. its even more nice that some of you got you hopes up on that one though lol

Fuz Fuz lol pretty much. People this triggered will believe anything they want to believe. They are beating off to a title even with the actual factual information suggesting it actually performed what they expected.

I mean...we literally fucking saw this game rank above Elden Ring, but some are holding on to this doooooom type of speak hoping the publisher will be like "FAILED beyond belief" or something. They are repeating the title of a thread someone made, more then the actual fucking factual information given by the publisher cause it doesn't fit their fake narrative.

FdGuxclacAE6Dh-

digoutyoursoul digoutyoursoul ? they are not a independent team, someone owns them. A new IP is upon the publisher to decide.

Remove a bit of that emotion from all that to understand why the game was made instead of this rage fest man lol Some of you get so deep into this shit its like you loose all common sense or reality and just start raging lol I'd like a new IP too btw, but I can't fault the team as they are not a independent team, I'd question the publisher and since the game performed as expected, I can't even blame the publisher in this respect as clearly they were just to choose that IP as they got a return they expected. I still believe they should do a new IP, but I'd ask Embracer to allow that in the future if they have some new ideas or something.

Imagine going to great lengths to post this shit and it have any effect on me, what-so-ever? I don't even partake in console war shit anymore. I just posted a small sentence, and we got defenders of the game, coming out like the thicker roaches in the kitchen. LMAO!

EDMIX

UvjbIB0.png

nYLe5WP.png

Looks like August 2022 was a particularly slow month in what concerns new game releases.

I agree it was a slow month, it doesn't change that it ranked above it. So I see how they made what they expected from ranking so high on NPD and UK charts or something.
it's a much better game, even if it's a different genre.

Imagine going to great lengths to post this shit and it have any effect on me, what-so-ever? I don't even partake in console war shit anymore. I just posted a small sentence, and we got defenders of the game, coming out like the thicker roaches in the kitchen. LMAO!
? Console war? what are you talking about?

Did you reply to the wrong person?

I don't own the game....

So..I just posted facts. I think some of you need to do the same instead of this whole triggered thing of trying look for hot takes instead of objectively looking at this.

The truth hurting is kinda nice..=)

Last edited:
Top Bottom