• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer Group enters into an agreement to acquire Eidos, Crystal Dynamics, and Square Enix Montréal amongst other assets

bQRBqJW.jpg

Im7kAOt.gif

124 studios lol

DukeNukem00

Banned
I love the narrative of xbox releasing on xbox and pc being “releasing on everything” and sony releasing on playstation and pc being “confined to playstation”.

Also totally ignoring nintendo

Thats not a narative, thats a factual state of affairs. sony releases on playstation. Thats it. We dont know how their pc initiative is panning out in the long term. Releasing games after 3 years is not exactly enocouraging. Microsoft literally lets you play on every device under the sun, outside of playstation. You dont need a console, you dont need a pc for them. Its more choice for everyone while with sony its less choice. More is preferable in this case

Yeah I'm legitimately mindblown that Embracer gets those studios and all those IP for a mere $300 million. Sony bought Insomniac alone for $230 million and they sure as hell didn't come with the IP this lot does. Where were literally ANY of these other companies in this? This really has to make one reconsider the conventional wisdom of these acquisitions. Because this shit makes no sense to me.

That is what happens when you undervalue TR and abandon DX. Remember how SE would always say that their games didn't sell enough copies?

Avengers was the nail in the coffin and Embracer Group bought on the dip like Microsoft with Activision-Blizzard.

Bragr

Banned
Honestly not sure about Embracer Group, an unknown at this point, but Deus Ex is at least free from that garbage company Square Enix and now theres actually hope for a new one.
Embracer is solid. They were THQ Nordic a few years ago, they are a solid Swedish company, profitable, they already own tons of game studios, including Gearbox and Deep Silver, this is a good thing to get these studios away from Square Enix which seems to be falling apart.

Embracer is solid. They were THQ Nordic a few years ago, they are a solid Swedish company, profitable, they already own tons of game studios, including Gearbox and Deep Silver, this is a good thing to get these studios away from Square Enix which seems to be falling apart.

Bring back Deus Ex or else lol

Varteras

Gold Member
That is what happens when you undervalue TR and abandon DX. Remember how SE would always say that their games didn't sell enough copies?

Avengers was the nail in the coffin and Embracer Group bought on the dip like Microsoft with Activision-Blizzard.
Yeah and I think there was a general feeling going around that SE was looking to divest itself of its Western developers. After letting IOI go, complaining about the commercial performance of CD and EM, and then allowing CD to be used as a co-developer for The Initiative's project.

No idea why Microsoft did not buy them, but there should be a reason because it is incredibly cheap - literally the price of Insomniac in the current seller's market and with several studios and IPs.
Crazy Embracer is able to get these deals for cheap.

Last edited:

reksveks

MetricYearWest (CD+Eidos)SE total% of SE total
Net Income
Mar-19​
$ 6,270,480.62$ 218,576,923.08
2.87%​
Net Income
Mar-20​
$ 3,374,930.23$ 246,884,615.38
1.37%​
Net Income
Mar-21​
$ 3,841,550.39$ 384,500,000.00
1.00%​
OI
Mar-19​
$ 5,152,899.22$ 189,500,000.00
2.72%​
OI
Mar-20​
$ 5,999,883.72$ 251,992,307.69
2.38%​
OI
Mar-21​
$ 7,038,015.50$ 363,276,923.08
1.94%​
Revenue
Mar-19​
$ 125,959,511.63$ 2,086,738,461.54
6.04%​
Revenue
Mar-20​
$ 139,775,782.95$ 2,004,053,846.15
6.97%​
Revenue
Mar-21​
$ 169,685,527.13$ 2,557,938,461.54
6.63%​

Another column for SE total (using 130 JPY conversion rate)

DJ12

Am I reading it right, they have 6 billion in lpng term debt and theyve taken out another loan for 10 billion to have 10 billion cash in hand?

No wonder they are so cheap.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If wb is for sale it's deffo looking like Sony buy now

Why would that be something they want though? They wouldn't actually be getting any WB IP (except maybe MK?), none of the DC stuff etc. They would just get some studios, and I don't know if those studios are THAT impressive overall?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm pretty sure this Embracer group is thinking about being bought within the next 5 years for a huge multiple of what they are worth now by Sony, Tencent or Microsoft. And that this is actually their only reason for starting the Embracer group.

I don’t know, the founder and CEO is quite the character.

Juza

Hell yeah!! Eidos will finally be freed from their curse! square

I've been waiting for so long to hear this good news! Now we can hope for a new Deus Ex game.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Better than Sony because games would not be confined to playstation, but certainly not better than microsoft. Microsoft would have had the games on every platform and device (outside playstation) plus large budgets and support. Embracer seems to like to things on the very cheap side as far as productions go. If we'll get new games in these franchises you can forget them being these lavish top tier productions that they were
You guys are so desperate for people to want MS acquisitions, it's kinda sad

MadPanda

Banned
300M is very low to put this deal into perspective

EA Bought Codemaster for 1.2 billion
Embracer bought GearBox for 1.3 billion

So looking at this again i don't know what the hell Square is smoking by selling for only 300M
Sony need to buy the rest of Square Enix Japan they probably going for cheap lol
Sony paid 230 millions for insomniac without any notable IP. Such a bargain for Embracer.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
How is sony known for large budgets ? The budgets where we have numbers are a third of that 3rd party publishers invest. I noticed there's this illusion that there's "1st party money". For some bizzare reason, some people are under the impression that a game sold on a single platform gets a bigger budget than a game sold on FOUR platforms. You budget a game based on predicted ROI. You are not getting from one platform what you can get from four. The largest budgets are from 3rd party devs, not 1st party, be it microsoft or sony.

Horizon 1 had a budget of aprox 40 million and Shadow of the Tomb Raider which came out next year had a budget on the high end of 135 million, which was claimed it was standard at the time for games of that type.

Other than Last of Us 2 and Horizon 2 right now, none of sonys games are breaking the bank budget wise. A lot of them were riskier affairs, for example God of War 2018. That was coming in a franchise where the last game bombed. And the new game they had these crazy ideas about no cuts cameras, changing the dirrection from what it was. Do you think GOW was some huge budget affair ? It had id say a moderate budget. Why do you think the gameworld is near empty, you have like 5 npc's the entire game, combat scenarios are rare and constrained to arenas, mini bosses reskined and repeated, puzzles repeating the whole game the same one. These were cost cutting choices, because they didnt have money to make more. Im sure the sequel will though, after the big success it had

I'm not sure why you're trying to downplay any of the games like GoW because of NPC's and stuff? What has this all to do with that? Maybe explain why you think it would fit MS better then Sony, but i known for sure you have no examples at all.

Chukhopops

Insane news and price, what the fuck is going on at Square Enix? Any cunt with a Toshiba laptop is priced for billions with the acquisition wave and they sell for that price?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Something is fishy, I do not see Square-Enix as that that desperate to sell, but then why such a low price? That would not paint a great picture for those studios to be fair…

DukeNukem00

Banned
I'm not sure why you're trying to downplay any of the games like GoW because of NPC's and stuff? What has this all to do with that? Maybe explain why you think it would fit MS better then Sony, but i known for sure you have no examples at all.

You seem confused about what you're reading. You mentioned how sie is somehow known for large budgets and i explained that they almost never have large budgets. I've seen on ocassion online, this idea about 1st party money, when in reality 3rd party games always have the largest budgets because they launch on every platform and make more money

Banjo64

cumsessed
Surprised Sony weren’t interested in acquiring Tomb Raider at this price too. Yes, they have Uncharted, but Tomb Raider is part of their heritage.

Ozriel

M$FT
I don’t care about their revenue, the games themselves are a better deal, better than the Bungie buy too.

How are the games a ‘better deal’ from a business perspective when they bring in much less revenue? How are you commenting on market value and going “I don’t care about revenue”?

Rac3r

I'm guessing Sony wasn't interested due to Crystal Dynamics working on Perfect Dark (Series X/S exclusive). Eidos Montreal would've been a good fit as Playstation lacks FPS, western-RPG games (Deus Ex), but it was probably a package deal.

Somewhat surprised Microsoft didn't make a move here. I think this confirms that their hands are tied until the ABK deal closes.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Anything is better than Square, I suppose. Talk about mismanagement, those morons actually expected a niche title like Deus Ex to sell megatons.

Good for the studio because they got a big budget and were even allowed to create their own engine, but somewhere someone made a catastrophic error in judgment.

So now that Square is out of the way, just get Deus Ex back on track.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Square initially bought Eidos in 2009 for only $120 million. So the cheap price makes sense.

Inviusx

Yeah I'm legitimately mindblown that Embracer gets those studios and all those IP for a mere $300 million. Sony bought Insomniac alone for $230 million and they sure as hell didn't come with the IP this lot does. Where were literally ANY of these other companies in this? This really has to make one reconsider the conventional wisdom of these acquisitions. Because this shit makes no sense to me.

230mil for Insomniac is the deal of the century. They are pretty much the #1 Sony studio around these days if you ask me.

Last edited:
I predicted this, when I saw that Square was turning Crystal Dynamics into a support studio I knew they would have to sell their western studios, they just didn't know what to do with them.

I think this one is better for everyone.

Now, the price is completely absurd, how come no other publisher offered more? Specially since it also includes de IPs. Square is completely insane.

For $300m it would've made sense for both MS and Sony to make this move, I wonder why they didn't. This was actually a pretty good acquisition because SE was likely the reason this studios were not finding success.

SE got fleeced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom