• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer Group acquires Limited Run Games, Singtrix, Tuxedo Labs and more...

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Animated GIF

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i doubt Microsoft would buy Embracer. People seem to think Microsoft is going to buy any studio or IP out there just because they can.
Seems to be a lot of unknown/deadweight studio within Embracer. Too risky imo, not to mention the numbers of employees you need to manage, unless you plan to close down alot of underperform studios, which is bad for your company reputation.

Last edited:
Is there any game studio Embracer won't buy? Buying studios is one thing, how do they have money to fund all these ongoing game projects year after year?
Some people collect vinyl records, some collect super cars. Lars Wingefors, the boss of Embracer, clearly enjoys collecting studios.

Embracer acquired:
Tatsujin: Masahiro Yuge
Singtrix: "Best Home Karaoke Machine & Microphone System"
Bitwave Games: Pictoparty, Wunderling DX, Cow Dash
Gioteck: Wireless Gaming Controllers/Headsets
Tripwire Interactive: Killing Floor, Rising Storm, Maneater
Tuxedo Labs: Teardown
IP rights to Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit literary works by J.R.R. Tolkien
"Another company within PC/Console Gaming"

Embracer (Sweden) has ten groups total AT THE MOMENT (an eleventh coming):
Gearbox Software (America) - Brother in Arms, Borderlands, 007: Nightfire
Saber Interactive (America) - Saber3D engine used for Timeshift, later used for Halo Anniversary; Developed World War Z, Evil Dead: The Game
DECA Games (Germany) - Free to Player service
THQ Nordic (Australia) - Publishing Studio
Dark Horse Comics (American) - Animated TV Shows
Plaion (formerly Koch Media) - Subsidiaries include Flying Wild Hog, Warhorse Studios, Deep Silver, Milestone, Vertigo Games
Coffee Stain Studios (Sweden) - Sanctum, Goat Simulator, Satisfactory
Asmodee (France) - Board Games, Card Games, RPGs
Easybrain (Cyprus) - Mobile game development, known for Sudoku and Killer Sudoku
Amplifier Game Invest - Publisher

theclaw135

Banned
Embracer acquired:
Tatsujin: Masahiro Yuge
Singtrix: "Best Home Karaoke Machine & Microphone System"
Bitwave Games: Pictoparty, Wunderling DX, Cow Dash
Gioteck: Wireless Gaming Controllers/Headsets
Tripwire Interactive: Killing Floor, Rising Storm, Maneater
Tuxedo Labs: Teardown
IP rights to Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit literary works by J.R.R. Tolkien
"Another company within PC/Console Gaming"

Embracer (Sweden) has ten groups total AT THE MOMENT (an eleventh coming):
Gearbox Software (America) - Brother in Arms, Borderlands, 007: Nightfire
Saber Interactive (America) - Saber3D engine used for Timeshift, later used for Halo Anniversary; Developed World War Z, Evil Dead: The Game
DECA Games (Germany) - Free to Player service
THQ Nordic (Australia) - Publishing Studio
Dark Horse Comics (American) - Animated TV Shows
Plaion (formerly Koch Media) - Subsidiaries include Flying Wild Hog, Warhorse Studios, Deep Silver, Milestone, Vertigo Games
Coffee Stain Studios (Sweden) - Sanctum, Goat Simulator, Satisfactory
Asmodee (France) - Board Games, Card Games, RPGs
Easybrain (Cyprus) - Mobile game development, known for Sudoku and Killer Sudoku
Amplifier Game Invest - Publisher

I get the sense they've been gearing up to leverage their exhaustive portfolio in other media. Board games and comics and stuff might raise brand awareness for the games.

Neilg

Is there any game studio Embracer won't buy? Buying studios is one thing, how do they have money to fund all these ongoing game projects year after year?
Some people collect vinyl records, some collect super cars. Lars Wingefors, the boss of Embracer, clearly enjoys collecting studios.
Economic trouble coming - some eager to sell, and embracer eager to get rid of cash. If you pay $20m for something and can prove that it's still performing as expected or better, you can take out a loan against that $20m at an absurdly low interest rate - lower than current inflation.
Right now a lot of huge corporations are burning cash to pad assets/holdings instead of paying tax to keep it liquid.

Fredrik

i doubt Microsoft would buy Embracer. People seem to think Microsoft is going to buy any studio or IP out there just because they can.
Seems to be a lot of unknown/deadweight studio within Embracer. Too risky imo, not to mention the numbers of employees you need to manage, unless you plan to close down alot of underperform studios, which is bad for your company reputation.
I doubt Embracer would sell to Microsoft, or anyone else. I read an interview with Wingefors from a couple years ago, they have a very clear plan to expand and have internal growth and they’ve been doing it since day 1 and has no plans to change. MS can keep wasting 70 billions to get CoD not exclusive while Embracer go around buying everything else in garage sales.

I get the sense they've been gearing up to leverage their exhaustive portfolio in other media. Board games and comics and stuff might raise brand awareness for the games.
I get a weird feeling they're gearing up for some sort of free to play rhythm game with an add-on accessory. Maybe a Guitar Hero-esque revival? They just acquired a multiplayer studio, a mobile studio, an accessory company, and a physics company. Also, the studio of a well known music composer.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I get a weird feeling they're gearing up for some sort of free to play rhythm game with an add-on accessory. Maybe a Guitar Hero-esque revival? They just acquired a multiplayer studio, a mobile studio, an accessory company, and a physics company. Also, the studio of a well known music composer.
Maybe I'm just having a tired moment, but where does a physics company come into play for a Guitar Hero style game?

Neilg

lol at buying 5 entire companies to make a rhythm game

Fredrik

Maybe they're creating their own version of game pass. An embracer pass. It kind of explains why they're buying up so many studios as well as the mix (indie, AA, AAA) and it also partly explains why they bought Giotek cause they'd want PC controllers/peripherals. Maybe I'm low on sleep 🧐
Yeah, it’s not impossible as a side option besides regular sales, and a launcher and save syncing and all that. They own a crazy amount of IPs and studios now. Way more than MS and Sony. Not so many AAA though. Trying to think what’s their biggest IP. Once it’s final, maybe Tomb Raider? The Lord of the Rings is big too. Should let Eidos do something cool with that, an Aragorn action adventure or something, 3D Golden Axe type of game with Tomb Raider platforming.

Top Bottom