• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embracer announces the completion of the Crystal Dynamics/Eidos Montreal/Square Enix Montreal acquisitions

Draugoth

Gold Member
FbFmx4kXEAAT0uj

https://embracer.com/release/embrac...al-square-enix-montreal-amongst-other-assets/

What a steal. All the other big publisher are stupid for not going for it.

Sony in particular would've made that money back just buy adding Lara Croft to the Uncharted series, it would've been the greatest crossover in gaming.

They were pretty decent AAA studios at the very least with some pretty solid IPs.

Last edited:
They didn't seem like a great fit with SQEX. They got to try 2 Deus Ex games, but they just didn't sell. SQEX marketed them a lot and made very slick CG trailers even. Then they got a big budget Marvel game. Turns out its very good, but this time it did suffer from SQEX marketing poorly, and the reputation of Avengers. And Avengers was a GAAS debacle for sure, unknown who made that decision so we can only speculate. Tomb Raider got big budgets and tons of marketing, so that's not on SQEX really.

We'll see what happens with Embracer, but seems like it could be good news. I'll be surprised if they spend as much money on the games as SQEX did.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Still can't believe this happened for that price. Completely bizarre.

Anyway, get cracking on a new Deus Ex game asap.

Fredrik

Yes and no. The price was so low for a reason. It will take huge additional investments from Embracer to make proper AAA Tomb Raider/Deus Ex/etc games and the returns won't be guaranteed.
The leaked TR script got me frowning but I still have high hopes, Crystal Dynamics and Eidos has both shown they can make great games and the tech is always top notch and now they’re working with UE5. I think they’ll create some magic going forward. I think they need new writers though, don’t know if they use in-house or contractual writers but the current one seems like a bad fit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It was done May 2. And now the news is out?

Looks like that rumour a few months ago about SE Montreal being bought out was true. In fact, it already happened by that time I think.

Don't be so happy you've seen what embracer does to the companies it buys. Every game they put out after being purchased is a buggy low budget pos. Embracer is just taking advantage of popular IPs to put out shitty remasters and low quality sequels. And of course people buy 'em based on name alone.

Last edited:

tommib

Fine now give me the original Tomb Raider 1996 to play on my fucking console already. How hard is it to release these games? Drop a bilinear filter on the textures and we’re done. Geeez.

DaGwaphics

Don't be so happy you've seen what embracer does to the companies it buys. Every game they put out after being purchased is a buggy low budget pos. Embracer is just taking advantage of popular IPs to put out shitty remasters and low quality sequels. And of course people buy 'em based on name alone.

That's the worrisome part. Hopefully they do right by these IPs.

Budget cuts are to be expected, obviously SE was spending more than they should have for the realistic return on some of the titles they were making. That might require shrinking the scope a bit, but hopefully the games are still fun.

YuLY

I need that new Deus Ex in my life. Mankind Divided is one of the best games ever made. Period. (not that HR aint great also).

Unfortunately I think too much time has passed for a new Adam Jensen game, by the time it will come out, it will probably more than a decade since MD. But I could take a remake of the first game, I think they could do it justice.

coffinbirth

Here comes the Sony / Square Enix JP announcement then...
SE just announced...they're opening another Western Studio :.)

But seriously, how goofy is it to sell off some extremely talented devs just to start all over again? And because of what, a rushed Avengers game? Something be stankin' up top over there.

Stuart360

SE just announced...they're opening another Western Studio :.)

But seriously, how goofy is it to sell off some extremely talented devs just to start all over again? And because of what, a rushed Avengers game? Something be stankin' up top over there.
I always find it pretty crazy how one or two games underperforming can result in situations like this, or even studios shutting down.

Game budgets really need to be tightened.

coffinbirth

I always find it pretty crazy how one or two games underperforming can result in situations like this, or even studios shutting down.

Game budgets really need to be tightened.
I'm not even sure it has so much to do with inflated budgets as it does SE having illogical sales expectations. If memory serves, according to them none of the Tomb Raider games sold enough to warrant even keeping it around, which is crazy considering the "reboot trilogy" sold about 38 million copies. That's bonkers to consider a financial disappointment...and downright stupid to sell off wholesale along with the devs. Not a fan of how any of their western devs were treated.

TrueLegend

I'm not even sure it has so much to do with inflated budgets as it does SE having illogical sales expectations. If memory serves, according to them none of the Tomb Raider games sold enough to warrant even keeping it around, which is crazy considering the "reboot trilogy" sold about 38 million copies. That's bonkers to consider a financial disappointment...and downright stupid to sell off wholesale along with the devs. Not a fan of how any of their western devs were treated.
You got it right. Downright Condensending treatment all the time. Japanese Game Devs are some of the most humane people, their corporate overlords, some of the most inhumane assholes. Selling Eidos Montreal after Guardians of the Galaxy is just plain stupid.

Top Bottom