• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Embark on a lesbian road trip and beat up cultists in Get In The Car, Loser!

Bullet Club

rD6HGDX.jpg

Embark on a lesbian road trip and beat up cultists in Get In The Car, Loser!​

LM7SK5E.png

In games, grandiose but urgent expeditions to save the world these days are curiously bloated with millions of side quests. A city could be in dire peril, but certain destruction could probably wait until you travel 50,000 miles towards another city to pick up some groceries. Or the galaxy could be annihilated by behemoth aliens at any moment, but you still need to head out to another planet to look for someone’s missing pet.

Get In The Car, Loser!, an RPG featuring a bunch of rad lesbian warriors on an important road trip to defeat a evil cult, understands the ridiculousness of these scenarios, plainly stating that the game will not feature any side quests, maps or codex entries; just straight to the point hacking and slashing ugly monsters with three of your best lesbian friends. A modern RPG by Christine Love, who’s also known for being one of the developers behind the acclaimed visual novel Ladykiller In A Bind, Get In The Car, Loser! features the turn-based combat system that’s a staple of many JRPGs today, with its cast of characters taking up complimentary roles—including a tank who would absorb the party’s heaviest damage, and a healer who could restore the party’s health in a pinch.

What’s even more notable about the game too, is a diverse cast that’s not usually seen in games, from a non-binary boyfriend to people of colour finally getting the representation they deserve. The game is purportedly more than just about busting the asses of evil cultists, too; it’s also about a tale of self-discovery, with discussions of gender anxieties, self-image and thorny topics such as transphobia and racism being tackled. Rather than a gloomy outlook, however, the game still manages to look effusively stylish and upbeat, which is exactly what all of us fellow queers need.

Get In The Car, Loser! will see a release in September this year.

Source: Indie Website

She said "GET IN THE CAR, LOSER! I know you're not up to anything this summer, I've got the Sword of Fate, and there's an ancient evil that needs to be sealed away."

evZkhC.png
x9tQmD.png
RFBHO7.png
Kp35sP.png

Everyone knows the story of how the great hero of legend Agi of Roses fought the Machine Devil and used the Sword of Fate to seal him away for a thousand years. Now, hateful Machine Devil cultist edgelords are spreading terror in order to summon him again, and the Divine Order that rules over our world claims that fighting them before it's too late would be "just as bad as them."

Obviously that won't stand, and that's why three young attendees of the local Academy of Order and one renegade angel from the Divine Order are heading off on a road trip to take the fight to the Machine Devil and his cultists. Will you succeed in your mission to save the world for another thousand years and hit every diner along the road on the way, or will you just be a useless gay disaster?

A lesbian road trip RPG by the co-creator of Ladykiller in a Bind about fighting for love and justice in the face of indifference, and "discovering yourself" as a useless gay disaster.

Introducing...​

aXYH7I.png
Sam Anon
Battle Specialty: Support/Ravage
she/her
The protagonist of the story, your new goth girlfriend, and the titular loser. She has no idea how she got roped into this trip (it's because she is a lesbian disaster who would do anything a pretty girl told her to) but is going to try her best anyway. The healer of the party. Catch her hollering at the Machine Devil about how the void belongs to everyone.
4mJTLY.png
Grace Morningstar
Battle Specialty: Exploit/Destruction
she/her
Solid A student/queen bitch of the Academy, and the current wielder of the Sword of Fate (100% stolen). She fights for what's right and isn't afraid to drop some BIG DAMAGE to back that up. You should be excited and grateful to have had the chance to have admired her before she becomes the new hero of legend renowned throughout the land.
CC796C.png
Valentin Vaillante
Battle Specialty: Exploit/Tank
they/them
Grace's cool boyfriend who actually knows how to drive. A former TA at the Academy of Order, currently taking a break to spend the summer smiling in the face of danger. Normally quiet and reserved, but is capable of projecting when it's time to tank in battle for the entire team... or when they come up with a dumb joke.
5hyY22.png
Angela
Battle Specialty: Exploit/Ravage
she/her
She big. The Thirty-Second Arm of the Divine Order and an actual literal angel, who has decided she can no longer idly stand by like the rest of the order. She's not sure if it's possible for a being operating on her plane of existence to truly relate to humans, but it seems like it would be fun to try. A completely average fighter by intent, since it would disrupt the divine cosmology if she ever unleashed her true power while fighting alongside mortals, even against the Machine Devil.

Features​

• Active time battle system inspired by classic and modern JRPGs—fight strategically and take advantage of each party member's complementary abilities in order to keep momentum on your side and make it through the gauntlet of fights the road throws at you.
  • Equipment-based character progression system: each item offers different abilities based off what character you give it to, and can be rearranged on the fly at any time between fights to create completely different party builds.
  • Genre-defying pop soundtrack by Christa Lee, because how can you say it's battle music if it doesn't even bang?
  • Visual novel inspired dialogue system allows for optimal "shoving your foot in your mouth while shooting the shit in the backseat" experience.
  • No sidequests, no maps, no codex entries. Who's got time for that when the world is in peril?!
  • Girls. Just... girls... you know...??? They're great
  • The Disaster Lesbian Representation We Need In 2021

By LOVE CONQUERS ALL GAMES: writing/programming/design by Christine Love (Ladykiller in a Bind), concept art by Isaac Robin (Witch Trade), pixel art by August Cartland, music by Christa Lee (Welcome to the Fantasy Zone), vocals by Jami Lynne.

Content note​

Get in the Car, Loser! is first and foremost a fun adventure story about self-discovery and triumphing over evil in the face of cosmic indifference. But it's also about fighting a reactionary death cult that's sexist, homophobic, racist, transphobic, including domestic abusers and murderers. Sam will have to face evil on her journey, but she will also have to confront her own internal gender anxieties and self-image doubt. There's nothing wrong with stepping back from a fight until you're emotionally prepared for it.

Steam

Last edited:

shoplifter

Introducing...​

CC796C.png
Valentin Vaillante
Battle Specialty: Exploit/Tank
they/them
Grace's cool boyfriend who actually knows how to drive. A former TA at the Academy of Order, currently taking a break to spend the summer smiling in the face of danger. Normally quiet and reserved, but is capable of projecting when it's time to tank in battle for the entire team... or when they come up with a dumb joke.

yoo wen GIF

Nautilus

Banned
Is being a lesbian that important for the context of the game for it to be highlighted?Like the game said, its all about the next fight you're getting into.

Couldn't they have been friends or acquainteces?Or better yet, the game doesn't mention anything of the sorts because its not relevant to the game.Was that ever an option?

Fbh

Good for them I guess.
I'd rather have these woke people make their own games than fill regular games with this shit.

Watch, they'll find ways this is offensive and how it mocks them and is homophobic and sexists at same time :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

That game "Boyfriend Dungeon" , which was another one of these "made for people with blue hair and pronouns on their twitter profile", got a ton of hate shortly after releasing because even though it featured a trigger warning, people felt it wasn't extensive or specific enough.

shoplifter

don't act like you're being critical of the game design when you're really just triggered by pixelated lesbians.

I couldn't give a shit about games with this sort of narrative existing, if there's a market that wants to buy it, that's fine. My issue is that the game's creators can't even keep the gender (or lack thereof) of one of their characters straight.

Last edited:

PJX

Man these woke people will kill the videogame industry soon
The did the same with the comic industry
Context please. I haven't been following the comic industry in such a long time despite watching a lot of movies and shows based on comics.

Last edited:

saiws

Banned
I couldn't give a shit about games with this sort of narrative existing, if there's a market that wants to buy it, that's fine. My issue is that the game's creators can't even keep the gender (or lack thereof) of one of their characters straight.
so...you don't like the lack of straight characters? you need more straight characters in your games?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sad thing is, the game could be actually cool and fun! Well designed, nicely balanced and with fun mechanics and all that.

But man, I'm not playing it with that lesbian virtue signaling coat of paint all over it.

PS: If the music is as bad as some of you say then this game can go double fuck itself.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The game surely understands the ridiculousness of those scenarios, but... well... I mean, that dialogue in the trailer...

Kuranghi

Last time I was in a car full of lesbians they gave me drugs, but they hated the taste (who likes the taste of hairspray lol) so it was mixed into an isotonic sports drink with sliced strawberries in it, I've never taken drugs in such fruity oppulence like that before or since!

Are these lesbians as fun and generous as that?

That battle music though aye, sounds like it was recorded at a rundown club on the waterfront and the mic was in the river, inside a fish. A lot of devs don't really get pixel art do they, if you squint your eyes a lot and it doesn't look better/gain more detail then you're doing it wrong imo. Look at proper old pixel art and its like you see a ton more detail when you process the image - either by putting it on a real CRT, a good filter on an LCD at properly multiplied res or in an ultra-pinch the ol' eye squint trick.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I see this pixel crawl bullshit as a sign thats its not been drawn frame by frame and interpolation/some other method was used to help out. Zoom in on it and look at the neckline, raised arm and the bottom of the skirt:

4mJTLY.gif

I know its a bit unfair since this stuff is regarded as the best but compare it to good ol' Utan:
a79.gif

Its night and day difference to me, we need a time machine to go back and get the people who made the better MS games (1,2,X,3&5) and give them an unlimited budget to make their magnum opus. Fuck sake Einstein from Red Alert 1 why'd you waste your time killing Hitler when you could've given us Metal Slug: The Greatest Story Ever Told.

Top Bottom