• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk reveals Tesla robot

Lupingosei

Banned

Musk said the robot, code-named “Optimus,” is based on the same chips and sensors that Tesla’s cars use for self-driving features. It’s five foot eight inches tall, and has a screen where the head is for useful information, Musk said. Tesla is designing it so that humans will be able to run away from the robot or overpower it.

106930813-1629426365140-Screen_Shot_2021-08-19_at_70932_PM.png

Soodanim

I see how it is. Elon chills on Mars while his Tesla-800 DoomBots MuskBots clean up down here, then he gets to come back to a nice, thinned out population.

ZywyPL

Banned
"Eliminates dangerous, repetitive, boring tasks" - that's what machines have been doing for decades, effectively leaving people unemployed or forced to get any shitty job at all for minimal wage.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
"Tesla is designing it so that humans will be able to run away from the robot or overpower it."
Translation -
We're pretty sure that we can't get it to move very fast without face planting and if you bump into it there is no way it isn't falling over - so "feature".

Ma-Yuan

If that works I give it five years before only poor countries will have normal soldiers and the ones the military uses won't stop at 5mph. Not fond of the idea. Good intentions as always from him but this shit will be used to supress humans in no time if available I honestly believe 😔 so let's hope he doesn't make quick progress.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If that works I give it five years before only poor countries will have normal soldiers and the ones the military uses won't stop at 5mph. Not fond of the idea. Good intentions as always from him but this shit will be used to supress humans in no time if available I honestly believe 😔 so let's hope he doesn't make quick progress.
Their AI progress has been pretty poor relative to everything else they have done so I wouldn't worry too much.

Sorry I like SpaceX, but Elon has the tendency to be full of wank when it comes to this other projects, like the Hyperloop or his Las Vegas loop which turned out to be a complete disaster.
I'm getting pretty wary of their CGI enhanced overpromises, so forgive me for being skeptical until they have got something real to show.

Boston Dynamics has been developing robots for far longer, I don't see Tesla catching up on their expertise any time soon.

on one hand i think it looks cool. it's the most robot looking robot i've seen.

on the other hand...we're fucked. the time to doubt Elon Musk is long gone. this thing will become a reality and it will take over the world.

Was that Elon Musk talking?

Must be the most normal and low key speaking I've ever heard him speak.
... he was standing there on a stage with a mic but yeah i'm with you i'm not sure if that was him speaking /s

Last edited:
Musk shares my fear of AI / robots so this was somewhat reassuring, if not hilarious and scary:

Musk said the robot, code-named “Optimus,” is based on the same chips and sensors that Tesla’s cars use for self-driving features. It’s five foot eight inches tall, and has a screen where the head is for useful information, Musk said. Tesla is designing it so that humans will be able to run away from the robot or overpower it.

GymWolf

Bro just give me a drill a sponge and a rubber glove and I'll engineer a solution
do you really want to fuck something that looks at you like this??

yikes-weird-face.gif

On the other hand, a lot of real life women gave you the same look if you don't pay for their yoga course or shit like that and at least the robot can't force you to sleep on the couch...

Keihart

Fuck a second house, better start saving for a top of the line robot slave.
I'll get one when they can cook, clean, repair and fuck....who am i kiding? if it can fuck it's good enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom