• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk on Lex Fridman #3 - Mega nerd out interview

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

0:00 - Introduction
0:07 - Elon singing
0:55 - SpaceX human spaceflight
7:40 - Starship
16:16 - Quitting is not in my nature
17:51 - Thinking process
27:25 - Humans on Mars
32:55 - Colonizing Mars
36:41 - Wormholes
41:19 - Forms of government on Mars
48:22 - Smart contracts
49:52 - Dogecoin
51:24 - Cryptocurrency and Money
57:33 - Bitcoin vs Dogecoin
1:00:16 - Satoshi Nakamoto
1:02:38 - Tesla Autopilot
1:05:44 - Tesla Self-Driving
1:17:48 - Neural networks
1:26:44 - When will Tesla solve self-driving?
1:28:48 - Tesla FSD v11
1:36:21 - Tesla Bot
1:47:01 - History
1:54:52 - Putin
2:00:32 - Meme Review
2:14:58 - Stand-up comedy
2:16:31 - Rick and Morty
2:18:10 - Advice for young people
2:26:08 - Love
2:29:01 - Meaning of life

This is a good one, particularly since Lex makes it a point to ask deeper and more technical questions than almost anyone else out there. Very little in the way of canned responses.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Listened to most of it last night while gaming. I have about 30 mins left. Like what I heard so far. I’m endlessly fascinated by Elon. The dude is full of ideas and his determination knows no bounds. If he wants something or has interest in something he pursues it relentlessly.

He’s a slow deliberate talker though so parts of interviews can be awkward with him especially if you’re listening to audio only and he takes like 30 second pauses to answer questions.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
It's always fun to watch an Elon interview, he's an interesting dude with some huge ambitions. I felt this wasn't a very strong interview though, more like a fan asking his idol questions.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Listened to most of it last night while gaming. I have about 30 mins left. Like what I heard so far. I’m endlessly fascinated by Elon. The dude is full of ideas and his determination knows no bounds. If he wants something or has interest in something he pursues it relentlessly.

He’s a slow deliberate talker though so parts of interviews can be awkward with him especially if you’re listening to audio only and he takes like 30 second pauses to answer questions.
How good is gaming while listening to a podcast. 3 hour Joe Rogans are perfect for this.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
How good is gaming while listening to a podcast. 3 hour Joe Rogans are perfect for this.
Love it. I'm so used to it that if it isn't a game with an amazing soundtrack or a ton of dialogue it feels like something's off if I don't have background podcasts playing. Some of my favorite gaming moments are while listening to podcasts and gaming. It's so relaxing.

Tams

I find it really hard to listen to Lex Fridman, no matter how interesting the topic is. Could anyone sound more monotone and less interested?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Elon Musk on Joe Rogan was a big moment at the time.
Elon Musk Weed GIF

Tesla feels like a raw rookie in the car world, according to its userbase its the best thing ever. Space X feels big time, how many times have they took off to space before NASA? Elon comes across as cool and smart. The target is huge on his back right now.

SJRB

Gold Member
Those guys are in dire need of a science and math education tbh. Elon was stuck explaining basic concepts for most of the runtime. The beginning and end were fun though. Trying to get him to accept Jesus as his lord and savior :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I haven't seen the Babylon Bee interview yet, but this is exactly why I like it when Elon visits Lex Fridman: the discourse moves beyond surface level stuff like "woooow self driving cars huh, how wild is that".

Pretty much all Fridman podcasts are excellent. Great guy. I mean look at this fucking guy, he printed a bunch of memes:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I got a bit lost on youtubing Elon interviews, he changed quite a lot in 10 years even. Back in 2009 he was a super dorky dude that barely was taken seriously. This interview with David Letterman shows that well.

Then in 2012 he was already a bit more then current confident Elon.

Did he have cosmetic surgery done? He looks so different now.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I got a bit lost on youtubing Elon interviews, he changed quite a lot in 10 years even. Back in 2009 he was a super dorky dude that barely was taken seriously. This interview with David Letterman shows that well.

Then in 2012 he was already a bit more then current confident Elon.

Did he have cosmetic surgery done? He looks so different now.

He definitely got hair plugs or whatever to counter his balding scalp. And good for him, it looks good.

But yeah, it's kinda amazing to see him going from basement dwelling dweeb and laughing stock to literally the richest man in the world with massive influence in the automotive industry, AI and robotics, engineering, god damn space travel, neuralink, boring..

What a legend.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
He definitely got hair plugs or whatever to counter his balding scalp. And good for him, it looks good.

But yeah, it's kinda amazing to see him going from basement dwelling dweeb and laughing stock to literally the richest man in the world with massive influence in the automotive industry, AI and robotics, engineering, god damn space travel, neuralink, boring..

What a legend.

Yep, hopefully the best is still to come even.

And his jaw, nose and teeth seem different too, maybe he just aged gracefully…

Tams

I tried watching this again, but Fridman really does just put me to sleep.

It's not that his questions or arguments are bad (well, some go too far into 'intellectual' territory), but how he talks and his demeanor. I'd rather listen to a jackhammer.

Erdrick

Lex is one of my favourites for Podcasters and Elon is endlessly fascinating to me so I absolutely will look forward to listening to this. My podcast backlog is starting to look like my videogame backlog though...😁

Shai-Tan

Banned
More interesting than Rogan interviews because they talk actual details. Maybe not that interesting if you don't know anything about computer science/engineering (or know enough to see beyond Elon's superficial knowledge of what his engineers are doing) but what you get with Rogan is all the bullshit hype and Rogan eating it up. Just listening to them talk a bout self driving deflates a lot of nonsense he has said about it elsewhere. Also funny how Lex talks as if he was skeptical from the beginning when he first became known on Rogan being far too credulous about what Elon was saying about it. But he's just a podcaster now so whatever

teezzy

Banned

0:00 - Introduction
0:07 - Elon singing
0:55 - SpaceX human spaceflight
7:40 - Starship
16:16 - Quitting is not in my nature
17:51 - Thinking process
27:25 - Humans on Mars
32:55 - Colonizing Mars
36:41 - Wormholes
41:19 - Forms of government on Mars
48:22 - Smart contracts
49:52 - Dogecoin
51:24 - Cryptocurrency and Money
57:33 - Bitcoin vs Dogecoin
1:00:16 - Satoshi Nakamoto
1:02:38 - Tesla Autopilot
1:05:44 - Tesla Self-Driving
1:17:48 - Neural networks
1:26:44 - When will Tesla solve self-driving?
1:28:48 - Tesla FSD v11
1:36:21 - Tesla Bot
1:47:01 - History
1:54:52 - Putin
2:00:32 - Meme Review
2:14:58 - Stand-up comedy
2:16:31 - Rick and Morty
2:18:10 - Advice for young people
2:26:08 - Love
2:29:01 - Meaning of life

This is a good one, particularly since Lex makes it a point to ask deeper and more technical questions than almost anyone else out there. Very little in the way of canned responses.

his recent Babylon Bee interview is p good too if youre ever bored

just an FYI

Great interview, I very much enjoyed this.

I found his comment on why Tesla is using a passive optical system for it's self driving interesting as someone who works in neuroscience. Yes, our street and signage is built around human perceptual limitations, so there is a good mapping between the real world and visible light sensors feeding neural networks. That said, if I as a driver could have augmented sensors that allowed me to perceive millimeter RADAR or LIDAR or what have you, I would jump at the opportunity. So, I don't see why he's so apprehensive about increasing the information input size give it would be easier to extract a signal from it.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Great interview, I very much enjoyed this.

I found his comment on why Tesla is using a passive optical system for it's self driving interesting as someone who works in neuroscience. Yes, our street and signage is built around human perceptual limitations, so there is a good mapping between the real world and visible light sensors feeding neural networks. That said, if I as a driver could have augmented sensors that allowed me to perceive millimeter RADAR or LIDAR or what have you, I would jump at the opportunity. So, I don't see why he's so apprehensive about increasing the information input size give it would be easier to extract a signal from it.

Elon said having multiple systems doesn't work because then which one do you trust? Engineering veteran turned youtuber Sandy Munro said he thought FLIR was the way to go instead of vision. Don't know how credible he is in this area.
Hopefully Tesla gets to the finish line with self driving, it would be sad if they get stuck at 99% but can't quite get there.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Sorry for spamming the thread with random Elon videos, but it's cool to see the things he spoke about 10 years ago compared to now.

Ionian

his recent Babylon Bee interview is p good too if youre ever bored

just an FYI

That was a brilliant interview, I'm no big Elon Musk fan as most interviews seem tediously boring despite his knowledge but this one was brilliant fun.

A few things though, I see the Babylon Bee popping up all over the place and the articles are absolutely hilarious. I may be naive but I assume the mention they are right right/alt-right to be a joke? I never noticed that slant in the ones I've read. Not that it matters, they're still hilarious. Just seemed like I'm missing out on something.

Elon's comments on 'The Onion' couldn't be more accurate, how a company so big that was built on satire to fall into irrelevance is a real shame as they used to have such funny shit for decades.

Enjoyed the video OP, cheers for posting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom