• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon’s Twitter Carnival of Stupidity (No Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those changes sound nice!
I know! I really wish he would have done more of this sort of thing before outwardly concerning himself with all that divisive crap and some of the stupider missteps he's taken so far. I'm interested to see what he tries when it comes to content providers and monetization as well.

Sonik

Dude just stop. Your entire tech bro worshiper stuff is just sad at this point. The entire rest of the world is laughing at you.

Musk is just some guy, and he fucked up big time. Over and over again. The "twitter files" aren't a thing. Catch up man. It's OK to admit that you were wrong.

BadBurger: You have no evidence that the government was colluding with twitter to mass censor the population or in fact threatening it

*LegendOfKage posts a shitload of evidence*

Badburger: lmao stop sucking Musk's dick, what you're reading with your very own eyes isn't a thing because I said so

You're such a terrible poster it's not even funny, it's completely pointless for someone to make an effort to argue with you when your replies are going to be this obnoxious and dumb

Badburger: lmao stop sucking Musk's dick, what you're reading with your very own eyes isn't a thing because I said so
The really funny thing is I've been very critical of Elon Musk in this and most of the other twitter threads. I think The Twitter files are one of the very few things that he got right, I'm happy he quickly undid most of his worst mistakes as they relate to twitter itself, I'm glad to see him undoing some of the stupider edge case censorship decisions twitter made before he got there, and I'm hopeful that he will continue to improve the platform, but that's about the extent of the praise I have to offer. It's not a lot.

Anyhow, for anyone who would like to read the Twitter Files themselves and make up their own mind, you can find an overview of them here, along with links to each individual twitter thread.

You can also find a nice video discussion of some of the findings in the previous post I made on the topic.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
BadBurger: You have no evidence that the government was colluding with twitter to mass censor the population or in fact threatening it
And there is evidence in unsealed court documents in the discovery phase that shows they did the very same thing by pressuring Facebook to censor select voices as well. Anti-constitutional attack on political opponents and citizens. Very CCP/Putin-like.
Tea Time Drink GIF by VH1

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Looks like 3rd party apps might be dead. I'm not a Twitter user so I never understood why this was allowed in the first place. As an outsider, it seems like a smart move to help concentrate ad views.

Last edited:

Facism

desktop twitter has become a complete waste of fucking time to use. 90% of the tweet on my TL are "you might like" or "suggested for you" shit that a) i do not like and b)if anyone suggested this shyte to me, I'd lose their number.

desktop twitter has become a complete waste of fucking time to use. 90% of the tweet on my TL are "you might like" or "suggested for you" shit that a) i do not like and b)if anyone suggested this shyte to me, I'd lose their number.
Don't you just need to switch to your timeline from what is now the default view?

Seems Twitter made some changes so now the people you follow is not the default feed that loads. Sounds like a bad idea but I'm not a social media user so who knows.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Looks like 3rd party apps might be dead. I'm not a Twitter user so I never understood why this was allowed in the first place. As an outsider, it seems like a smart move to help concentrate ad views.

Twitter would have never become popular without these 3dd party apps.

Fucking Elon didn’t even have the balls to acknowledge this and has stayed silent like a little bitch.

DKehoe

Gold Member

A lot of their advertisers will use those. They should have probably given people a heads up that it was coming.

Tams

Gold Member
Somehow a couple of CCP shills made it onto my timeline. Easy enough to mute, but considering I've reported them multiple times, one can only assume that they popped up again to drive interaction driven by hate.

Sonik

Twitter is a hate machine, at least if that's what you make of it. Garbage in, garbage out. You reap what you sow. You get what you give. And so on.

Behold the power of twitter.

Looks like he's changing that shit and making the algorithm open-source. Respect, I don't really like the dude but at least he's way better than the rest of the billionaire fucks.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Longform article on what Twitter was like for the employees during Oct-Dec. The author very clearly has nothing but disdain for Musk. Some new details about the behind the scenes moments but nothing entirely earth-shattering. The last few paragraphs give you an idea of the tone of the article, quoted here to help you gauge whether or not the read is worth your time:
“Fractal of Rube Goldberg machines … is what it feels like understanding how Twitter works,” Musk wrote in a short thread on Christmas Eve. “And yet work it does … Even after I disconnected one of the more sensitive server racks.”
Four days later, Twitter crashed. More than 10,000 users, many of them international, submitted reports of problems accessing the site. Some got an error message reading, “Something went wrong, but don’t fret — it’s not your fault.”
“Can anyone see this or is Twitter broken,” one user tweeted into the apparent void.
But in that moment, Musk found that whatever might be happening in the world at large — to his site, his other companies, his reputation and legacy — that tweet, at least, appeared on his screen as intended.
“Works for me,” he replied.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Longform article on what Twitter was like for the employees during Oct-Dec. The author very clearly has nothing but disdain for Musk. Some new details about the behind the scenes moments but nothing entirely earth-shattering. The last few paragraphs give you an idea of the tone of the article, quoted here to help you gauge whether or not the read is worth your time:

Back in reality sans all of the author’s melodrama, he performed a major cost cutting measure and there was a service hiccup for 0.002% of their MAUs.

Amiga

The really funny thing is I've been very critical of Elon Musk in this and most of the other twitter threads. I think The Twitter files are one of the very few things that he got right, I'm happy he quickly undid most of his worst mistakes as they relate to twitter itself, I'm glad to see him undoing some of the stupider edge case censorship decisions twitter made before he got there, and I'm hopeful that he will continue to improve the platform, but that's about the extent of the praise I have to offer. It's not a lot.

Anyhow, for anyone who would like to read the Twitter Files themselves and make up their own mind, you can find an overview of them here, along with links to each individual twitter thread.

[/URL]

You can also find a nice video discussion of some of the findings in the previous post I made on the topic.

You don't have to explain yourself. Ignore those who bully you for your opinion.

gothmog

Gold Member

[/URL]
I personally loved the Elon's net worth-o-meter thing on the side that went down as you got further into the article. Obviously you're not going to change someone who frames an article like that's mind.

NickFire

Maybe this will improve the algorithm.

If this is true then it begs the question:

How many times did an aide, lawyer, or campaign official say "No Donald, you should really wait until at least the second or third week of January to go back to Twitter"?

Line is at 49. You want over or under? I'm team over. Way over. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

RAÏSanÏa

As the article mention he won't want to lose control so quickly with bankruptcy. Telsa shareholders gotta be shifting in their seats nervously. They've already been burned of huge fortunes a few times by holding on when he lies of not selling more shares.

The gun is alive.....Now that is a thing I would like to see.
Just another wild night in Wizard City.

I'll never understand how we got to the point of banning a president from social media. It's way more insane than anything Elon has said or done with Twitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: WoJ
I'll never understand how we got to the point of banning a president from social media. It's way more insane than anything Elon has said or done with Twitter.
Read the twitter files and you'll find out exactly why that happened, and what people working at twitter at the time were saying about it internally. And that's all I have to say about that, because I'm not getting into details here, and there's plenty to talk about regarding twitter that doesn't involve politics.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Huh, Twitter's trending tab no longer works for me. I wonder if it's a glitch or if they're just disabling this info for people without accounts?
ftumoHH.png

e: it's working again

Last edited:

Droxcy

Better buy that twitter blue! Twitter removing 3rd party clients is BS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom